Do you plan on using the new double ultra mechanic in Ultra Street Fighter 4?

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • October 26, 2013 at 3:11 p.m. PDT

With the recent announcement of the double ultra mechanic in Ultra Street Fighter 4, we wanted to gauge reader interest on using this setup in the new game.

While some characters have two very useful and potentially devastating ultras when used in conjunction with each other, other characters might not be so lucky.

As such, we've setup a poll to ask our readers if they currently plan on using the double ultra mechanic with their main characters.

All we know so far is that using the new method reduces the damage, although this system is still in development and subject to change.

After you vote in our poll, please feel free to leave a comment discussing the reasoning for your main character(s) and the ultra you plan on using.

Do you plan on using the new double ultra mechanic in Ultra Street Fighter 4?

1. Yes. I want access to both my main character's ultras at one time.: 484 votes / 58.0%
2. No. It's better if I just use a single ultra for my main character.: 351 votes / 42.0%

Total votes: 835

Voting has closed

Comments

wingzx20 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

As I main Honda if they fix his Ultra 2 then yeah i'll use both

pegasusx said on October 26, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

Already a poll!?

Catalyst said on October 26, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.

Rose's Ultra 2 is so incredible useful and her U1 is so terrible, I don't think I'll be using this mechanic much.

There's probably a few match ups where it'll come in handy and it's definitely better to have the choice of double ultras instead of not having that option at all, but unless U1 is severely improved in USF4, I'm going to stick with raw U2 in almost all match ups.

Here's hoping Capcom gives Rose's U1 some big improvements to make it more practical.

SuperTurboFinisher said on October 26, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.

Hell yeah!! So many Ultras so little time!

pegasusx said on October 26, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

Gen is gonna be crazy.

RedRyu said on October 26, 2013 at 3:18 p.m.

I like it better with just 1 ultra because you actually have to think about which one you choose, depending on the matchup. :)

DOOskoi_oicho said on October 26, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

I'm sure they'll alter the properties of the ultras if you can use both.

DougQuaidHauser said on October 26, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

I main balrog, his ultra 2 is next to useless so never use it!!
But saying that, it may be easier to catch someone with it if they do not expect it if you select both.

PookieCuddlemuffin said on October 26, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

Where's the option for 'I don't like making speculation'?

DarknessFallz said on October 26, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

I agree, that and most characters only have 1 good ultra. I'm sure grapplers will mainly be using both ultras.

Catalyst said on October 26, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

Not voting. :P

darkunor said on October 26, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

Definately! As a big fan of the Alpha series where some characters had as many as 3 ultras at their disposal in a match, I'm all up for this. I will only reconsider if the trade off- ie reduced damage output is significant!

Catalyst said on October 26, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

Yeah, I was curious about that as well. From the early results, seems a good portion of people want to make a go of using both ultras though, interesting.

bwinches said on October 26, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

Yes, remember the game's ultras are being retweaked. A useless ultra is likely to be useful. Both equals options!

DougQuaidHauser said on October 26, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

A lot of characters have only one viable ultra, so match up strategy goes out the window with these characters.

Abbadon36 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

Depends on the character I'm using. I like damage so it'll be rare for me to sacrifice the damage for options.
For the most part I would have to agree with RedRyu.

Yung said on October 26, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

Need damage for my Vega.

ForTheViolence said on October 26, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

You summed up my struggle word for word.

zUkUu said on October 26, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

I fear that it'll ruin random select for me. =/

ShinzoBishamon said on October 26, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.

I'll use both ultras for my characters Adon/Yang/Oni

rayser08 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

My main is Sakura n Ryu don't think this it useful for me

Cammy & Fei can be happy with this they can use her U1 for rush down n the U2 for the Counter. Guief, Hawk, Guy and of course Gen will feel wonderful.

Villest1 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

There's really no point in picking both of Sakuras ultras seeing how against the majority of the cast I use U2 because it can be combo'd into so many ways and when I do use U1 its strictly for the damage so picking both would defeat the purpose.

But with some of my other characters such as Cammy HELL YES. Even if they both do minimal dmg they will put a lot of fear into my opponent toward the end of the round. It will make it difficult to both pressure and keep away with projectiles because both her ultras will deal with those strategies pretty well.

Mr_Pyro said on October 26, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

I'd like the option of using both for Bison if and only if both of them are decent. Ultimately, though, I can't think of many matchups where both ultras would be most beneficial together. If any others can think of such matchups, I'd like some insight on that.

Random_Online_Scrub said on October 26, 2013 at 3:28 p.m.

I play Makoto and i feel like using both of her ultras will be very useful. U1 for post karakusa options and U2 for escaping the corner and countering fireballs. I'm very excited for this change.

Profeza said on October 26, 2013 at 3:29 p.m.

Rose U1 is very good for anti air and punishing mid range anything.

Jaku86 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:31 p.m.

Depending on the match up I'll still with Makoto U1 because of the high damage. But depending on who I'm up against I might run both.

DORMWORM said on October 26, 2013 at 3:31 p.m.

I use Gouken ...yes of course I always had trouble picking because I like both of them

lumpy78 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

I agree with catalyst. I think Rose's U1 can be good for anti air sometimes, but its got kind of a slow start up so you need fairly good reactions, and also because of the slow start up, its hard to punish mid range stuff unless the move has really bad recovery.

sarif2soon said on October 26, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.

AA + Punish & mid-screen comboability
2 ultras for seth

MykeBoi908 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

I'll only pick both ultras for some characters as a mind game set up haha

TheMonkey said on October 26, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

Balrog main, no double ultra for me :/

SAMURAI said on October 26, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

I consider to stop playing. It was fun, but these stupid changes will break the game.

Lvsyagami said on October 26, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

Considering Cammy, who is my main char currently, I think it's a good idea using both ultras, because her U2 is a good tool to avoid ambiguous attacks after a knockdown. However, I think Cammy's U2, as well as Fei Long's U2, should be fixed in order to not lose to armor breaker moves. Anyway, everything depends on how much the damage will be reduced when we choose two ultras.

disp said on October 26, 2013 at 3:46 p.m.

I plan to use only one Ultra still. Yang hardly makes any damage if I use both with reduced damage, he's probably gonna heal the enemy.

Yousend said on October 26, 2013 at 3:47 p.m.

Pretty much this, except for the Zangief/Blanka matchup, I use U2 with Rose almost exclusively. I'll probably end up using both ultras for the Blanka matchup just to punish the ball and keep orbs incase sh*t hits the fan.

Edit: I still don't get why people think that Gief will necessarily go for both ultras. If you cut the damage of U1, it's basically a glorified SPD. Sure it comes out faster and is unreactable, but you're giving up a lot of damage on a mixup you can perform right now.

SeaJay said on October 26, 2013 at 3:48 p.m.

Adon i think is a character that would definitely benefit from the double ultra mechanic, so i would more than likely use this

drez1210 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

Hell yeah I'm going to try this

VengefulGiblets said on October 26, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.

42.7% of respondents choose to be easy targets.

zombiebrian said on October 26, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

I think with all things it will depend on the matchups, with chun li i will go with both vs fireball and u1 punishable matchups but vs chars that u1 is of no help at all i will likely go with u2 with its higher damage.

I think as with all mechanics it will benefit some chars more than others. I cant wait to see the final balance of the game some people reacted hilariously to the mechanics changing feedbackula would have a field day with this

kaka said on October 26, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

yes, no more safe jumps on me! (after the announced delayed wakeup, i might not)

Stickyresin said on October 26, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.

Aside from grappler character gimmicks, no top level player will ever choose both ultras. Just like any other game, min/maxing is extremely important for top level players. Think about how big of a difference it is for a character to be buffed 50hp, or to have an special do 20 extra damage. To lose 33% damage from an ultra is HUGE, especially when most matchups tend to favor one ultra over the other.

shinra358 said on October 26, 2013 at 3:57 p.m.

W meter should be mandatory for everyone. Ultra doing the same damage as 2 or 3 hard attacks is dumb. It makes the Ultra useless if you can easy get that same damage from a couple of normal attacks. Ultra should have no damage reduction on W meter. Ultra still uses full meter so IT SHOULD NOT MATTER IF DAMAGE REDUCTION FOR ULTRAS IS NOT SET. Also red focus shouldn't give double the meter.

Double Meter Gain + Halved Ultra Power = Normal meter gain + Normal Ultra Power

Now we have 1 more thing to choose before we even get into the match -_-

As if the selection phase wasn't long enough already.

kingmedicine said on October 26, 2013 at 3:57 p.m.

Maybe, rose's ultra 1 has its uses, its not great but i don't think its totally useless and having both could be nice, but more than likely ill be sticking with ultra 2 primarily.

Kira_Timmy said on October 26, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.

as a chun li main. i will use both much

FreeHUGz said on October 26, 2013 at 4 p.m.

T. Hawk now has an inescapable Double Ultra reminiscent of the Aquasilk Snackish Special. You're welcome.

shinra358 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

Cutting the damage of his ultra 1 probably results in his normal command throw damage which makes halving the damage for the W meter even more useless.

Wintry said on October 26, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

As I main Ken, Dudley and Cody (with a bit of Ryu), I don't really need another Ultra. I'd rather have full damage for one. However, a friend of mine mains Zangief - so Double Ultras for grapplers seems to be a very strong option. It could also help with stuff like anti-air Ultras, or Counter Ultras.

DunnDeal said on October 26, 2013 at 4:02 p.m.

Using both ultras with Viper would be useless. U2 damage is already horrible and it's just gonna scale even more

FinalEnd said on October 26, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

Seth being able to use both ultra's!!! Even though they do no damage.......... Its makes Seth more dangerous so I'm happy

ArcticTabasco said on October 26, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

I play Fei and I think I'll stick with ultra 1. A lot of comments have said that Fei and Cammy will be OP with their 2 ultras, but the fact is that those counter ultras are horrible. Very match up specific (just Viper, really) and even then it comes down to the player. Also my play style is to stay offensive, so Ultra 2 isn't really my flava (though the animation is VERY cool).

AugustAPC said on October 26, 2013 at 4:05 p.m.

Not sure, yet. Gotta see how much the damage nerf is and what character I ultimately end up playing in this iteration (probably Cammy, as she's always been my favorite SF character.) I'll probably use only one.

I'm kinda confused about the "W" symbol for Double Ultra. Is the significance that the literal pronunciation is "double u", as in "double ultra"? Kinda goofy, if that's the case.

FlynnChop said on October 26, 2013 at 4:07 p.m.

I voted yes, but it really will depend on how the damage reduction affects the total ultra damage.

Maining Cody, it's always tough to decide which ultra I want to use. U2 has a lot of potential for punishing fireballs at mid range, and does more damage if I'm just going to pop it after a lucky focus attack. U1 is way better for comboing into for that extra damage.

The problem with only having U1 is that you sometimes miss your opportunity to use it, and it's more conditional than U2. Problem with U2 is that it's mainly effective vs. predictable opponents. Having both would be nice.

But that's only assuming U1 damage in this mode hasn't been nerfed so hard that it isn't worth comboing into anymore. If that's the case, the whole thing is blown and it's totally worthless.

Wachenroder said on October 26, 2013 at 4:07 p.m.

Probably not. I play Cody Guy and Makoto.

MontoniBeatdown said on October 26, 2013 at 4:08 p.m.

wow ppl voted for yes? why!!! reminder gen will have 4 ultras at his disposal lol

ShadowGeno said on October 26, 2013 at 4:08 p.m.

Rose´s Ultra 1 is armour breaking; from the information we know why not just chuck it out when someone uses red focus and make them eat big unscaled damage?

EKWatanuki said on October 26, 2013 at 4:11 p.m.

In the event that Capcom gives M. Bison his original Psycho Punisher motion, I can see myself use both Ultras, U1 for combos, and U2 for Bon- U2 for punishing fireballs.

I could see the double choice be very interesting for all the characters who have a grab Ultra, for A LOT of versatility. If used well, some under rated characters could easily become frightening. Just imagine T.Hawk and Hakan.

EKWatanuki said on October 26, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

And Zangief will become virtually invincible. Can't jump near him, can't stand too close to him. Just stay the f- away!

Raiden365 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.

EX moves pretty have supplemented as lvl 1 Alpha style Super Combos. Having access to 2 ultra combos that could power up between 1-3 lvls would be nice, but at this point, the comeback factor of a single smart read with a lvl 3/ultra seems like the best course of action(especially given the 5 year old metagame of SF4 has worked around this concept).

IntruderN313 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

Since Guy's U1 scales too much using setups and isn't his main damage output, using both U2 so you can make your opponent guess a bit more being close range and having U1 for a bit more damage in combos, both Ultras are a viable choice.

gklaus19 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

If they buff Chun-li U2 damage i will use for sure.

MontoniBeatdown said on October 26, 2013 at 4:16 p.m.

gotta love it lol!! i believe that this version will ruin all that we knew about SF

Davison89 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:18 p.m.

I main Hakan, so its going to be great for me, Maybe with Balrog and E Honda but not with Makoto (the othes I play as).

GeneralSpecific said on October 26, 2013 at 4:20 p.m.

Bison's original Psycho Punisher motion is a charge move, not a fireball/QCF move.

Bison is a charge character and as much, all moves should remain charge.

dhocke said on October 26, 2013 at 4:22 p.m.

I'm just hoping that they'll let Akuma still cancel sweep into U1 otherwise that thing is useless. How are you supposed to land it?

GeneralSpecific said on October 26, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

With crouching forward.
No more free lunches for you with crouching roundhouse, son!

RandomSelectMaster said on October 26, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

Duh, who wouldn't want an option to switch it up in a match. Example, I am doing good in this match, let me test out my Feng Sui Engine Ultra and see how it goes... not many people use that, but now more will try it in a match... the possibilities are now endless especially with more characters and new system mechanics.

RandomSelectMaster said on October 26, 2013 at 4:29 p.m.

Having both her ultras help Makoto a lot I think. She now do not have to depend on the grab to do an Ultra... someone is open, Ultra 2 is fast enough to catch them off guard, options is great isn't it?

Gurpwnder said on October 26, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.

I don't think any character besides Makoto, Fei or Cammy would want to pick both. I can see Makoto liking the defensive utility that both Ultras would provide her. Fei and Cammy only have 1 offensive Ultra, but having a counter ultra locked and loaded will still cause opponents to second guess their attacks / crouch techs.

For example, VS Ryu, you'd still want your anti-projectile Ultra in order to make him second guess throwing fireballs.

The fact that both Ultras are weakened means the opponent won't need to fear it. For example, assuming a 30% damage nerf, Zangief's U1 will drop from 510 damage to 357 damage (fully charged), and his U2 will drop from 450 to 315 damage. If I were a Gief player, I'd stick to my ground grabs and keep a fully loaded U2 to really lay the hurting on them when they jump. Besides, his super can still punish moves that are -1 on block like his U1 can.

GOODAZNEW said on October 26, 2013 at 4:32 p.m.

Logically: Geif/Hawk/Hakan/Sim/Fei/Cammy/Seth all should use it every time even with damage reduction . While the rest of the cast seems matchup dependent.

Aluppoj said on October 26, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

It'll be fun to have Chun Li's Ultra 1 as a back up against zoners (Gouken, Sagat, Guile). So if the damage is good, I'll take both into those fights.

But I really like going in. So it'll usually just be U2 for me:)

Grapplers will eat this up. Ultra traps for the win.

If 'improperly' balanced, it could be a Ground Vortex for grapplers. Scary thought.

oghaggard said on October 26, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

Yep. Some characters I use would really benefit, others wouldn't, but that's only going off of the current balance (AE 2012). Ultra will rebalance each character and their ultras individually, with the goal of making each and every ultra an attractive and valuable option. With that said, I'd be extremely surprised if "Ultra W" didn't get used at least 50% of the time on average. Realistically, a drop in damage by 1/3 isn't what matters most. What matters most is having the threat to punish almost any poor decision your opponent makes.

oghaggard said on October 26, 2013 at 4:36 p.m.

Maybe I'm the minority on this, but I think this is what SFIV needs. Nerf the damage on ultras so that we don't see a lower-skilled player taking 50% life of a higher-skilled player in a single combo. But buff their utility so that each round becomes more tense and exciting. Hell, I almost wish Ultra W was mandatory, but there will always be people who want things to remain the same as they always were...

Lordvader178 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:36 p.m.

I sincerly doubt I would use it. The huge damage nerf when using 2 is enough to deter me, when I could just do a combo and get the same amount of damage. As well, using an Ultra in a combo would be pointless. My main characters are Gen, Fei and Sakura. 2 Ultras for Gen is useless, 2 for Fei could come in handy but it's rare to even hit his ultras anyway, and 2 for Sakura is also pointless.

I imagine the only characters this will probably be useful for are:
Makoto (Command Grab ender/AA + Fireball Countering)
Zangief/Hakan/T Hawk (Ground Grab + Anti Air Grab)
Sagat (2 ways to deal more damage off DP FADC)
Dudley (Fireball Counter + Combo Ender)
Ibuki (1 frame grab + SJC combo ender)
Juri (New combos + Combo ender)
Seth (Obvious reasons, they don't even do any damage anyway so using both won't even be noticeable)

That's about it though, but I assume all the online warriors will use both thinking it's an amazing opportunity.

HooliganComboFTW said on October 26, 2013 at 4:37 p.m.

I can see Cammy/Cody benefit from this by having more utility after sacrificing maximum damage potential so sure.

oghaggard said on October 26, 2013 at 4:37 p.m.

With good reactions.

EastLDN said on October 26, 2013 at 4:41 p.m.

Depending on how much the Wultras will be reduced damage-wise, I will definitely consider using both simultaneously as I main Abel.

A matchup that I think would improve a lot is Zangief; he won't be able to jump or random lariat. (Breathless will catch those.) Also, if I get a hit confirm and have 2 bars, I can ultra 1 him too!

Qatar said on October 26, 2013 at 4:47 p.m.

2 Ultras well be much better! but hope to see any new more mechanic
while in the ground we can roll.. or stepping aside for 3sec while standing "invisibility".

Yakoshi said on October 26, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.

I main Balrog (no help there, unless they increase the range and decrease the startup of U2), but my second is Hakan. It would seem grapplers are going to rule this version, since now you literally can't escape certain setups with this option. I can almost taste the salty tears...

Existent said on October 26, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

What properties are you referring to? The damage is reduced, that's enough.

DrDucker said on October 26, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

honda army U1 unite

ednd30 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

with gouken and zangief yes vega abel dudley i'll stick to single ultra not sure on rolento yet cause dont know what his ultras are

oghaggard said on October 26, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

First you say you can never land Fei's Ultra 1 (?!), then you want to talk down to "online warriors" for trying something new and looking for new strategies in an aging game... smh

Give the game a chance before you come up with all these theories based on AE's balance issues.

oghaggard said on October 26, 2013 at 4:59 p.m.

Ultras are being retooled individually. "Ultra W" is not the only answer to the lack of use many "lesser ultras" in this game suffer from. Combofiend has already stated that he wants to make Ryu's U2 much more appealing, etc.

For some reason as soon as Red Focus and Ultra W got announced, people seem to have completely forgotten all about the fact that Ultra began as a character rebalancing...

Existent said on October 26, 2013 at 5:02 p.m.

I was referring to his reasoning. Having both ultras doesn't necessitate changing them. Ultras may be being tweaked, but not for that reason.

*Edit* Reply is not working.

TheFlyingGrayson said on October 26, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

Double Ultras are whats keeping me from switching Seth. If his changes turn out to be true I'll try with both Ultras. If it doesn't feel right I'm changing mains.

icejohn said on October 26, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

Of course i'm going to set my ultra meter to Wombo!

Its first grade Eventhubs...

GeneralSpecific said on October 26, 2013 at 5:08 p.m.

Good news on Ryu's U2.

You should always be able to use the mighty Metsu without fear of trades on jumpins like Sakuras fierce!

Just have to fix the frame startup on it now!

Valiantheart said on October 26, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

I play Bison, so I can have two Ultra's I never land!

shinra358 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

Dude, what are you talking about? You WILL NOT be able to do an Ultra right after the other because it still uses the whole meter.

Is having a super and an ultra broken? Then why would having 2 ultras (only able to use 1 per full meter) and a super be broken?

Think people think.

samuraix025 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

i feel the same about guy's, make it 0 frames and i'll use the hell out of both

shinra358 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:14 p.m.

Yeah, zangief's ultra 2 is soooooo easy to to land (sarcasm) :/

rie_dude said on October 26, 2013 at 5:14 p.m.

Makoto is now god tier. I hope you appreciate her might.

WolfScar24 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:18 p.m.

I main Guy so hell yes I'm pickin' double ultras! I hope the damage reduction to the ultras isn't brutal. If they reduced the damage by 10% (only when DU is selected) all across the board then i can totally deal with that and add some interesting set ups into my rushdown. If the reduction is too much then I'll stick to my U1. I'm hopin' they don't reduce the damage to the ultras at all. Guy needs his damage :).

Cris25IsADumbass said on October 26, 2013 at 5:20 p.m.

AriesWarlock said on October 26, 2013 at 5:21 p.m.

I would like an option for those who want to wait to see if it benefits his character or specific type of play.

Strider_Hien said on October 26, 2013 at 5:21 p.m.

Of course.Guy will benefit from this.....:D

Dravidian said on October 26, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

I def want to experiment with using both. But since the game is getting rebalanced (at least I think it is) much of these "but ultra x is useless" comments are rather pointless since we dot know how the ultras are getting tweaked.

Kara101 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.

With my main (Ken) I guess it is better to have both ultras at the same time, U2 being for os. However, with Cody.. I think i'm gonna stay with just u2.

darko_p86 said on October 26, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

It really depends on how much the damage nerf is. If the risk outweighs the reward, then no.

I main Guile, Ryu and Sakura.

FightDirty said on October 26, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

I will definitely be using both Ultras for my mains. Having options is always preferred IMO. The damage will be nerfed a bit; but not so much that the Ultras won't still be very useful. This is going to be sooooo sweeeeettt!

Load more comments