Posted by Catalyst
October 26, 2013 at 12:23 p.m. PDT
Director of Mortal Kombat Legacy no longer working on movie, Tancharoen's future involvement with the franchise in question If you're a fan of Kevin Tancharoen's web series Mortal Kombat Legacy, and were eagerly anticipating the upcoming motion picture, we've got some bad news for you.

Tancharoen recently stated that he's no longer involved with the motion picture — and possibly the franchise itself.

"After 3 years of Kombat, I've decided to move on to other creative opportunities. I wish everyone involved in the movie big success. Thanks," said Tancharoen.

We knew very little about the movie itself, besides that it was set to follow a supermarket employee who discovers that he has out of this world powers, and Jax, Kabal, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were set to make appearances.

Hit the jump for more.

Also, the release of the movie was supposed to sync up with the new Mortal Kombat title, which was done back in 1995 with the original film and MK3's arcade release.

The movie will seemingly go forward without the man many view as key to the rebirth of the live action series' image in modern times.

Time will tell the new fate of this new motion picture.

Source: Kevin Tancharoen's Twitter.

Comments

seabass40 said on October 26, 2013 at 12:31 p.m.

That's okay we still got the OG movies !

Shajita said on October 26, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

Sad to see him go. Not everything he made was gold, but there were some good episodes.
Still, it worries me thay yet ANOTHER videogame movie has a troubled development cycle. We're gonna sit through a lot of Batman and Robins before we get go our Dark Knight.

RoboBoomByYahh said on October 26, 2013 at 12:43 p.m.

The reboot was a great idea if it was kept in the same vein as MK Rebirth. I was not a big fan of the Legacy series.

shinra358 said on October 26, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

If the actual creators can't do right, how is hollywood going to.

Oh wait, it's still going forward? Supermarket person gaining power? Sounds like some Legend of ChunLi bull xD

GodzOfTheArenaTV said on October 26, 2013 at 12:54 p.m.

I hope he at least finish the Mortal Kombat Legacy series. Because the episode ends right before Liu Kang and Lung Lao fight. Then it says To be Kobtinued like there is going to be more episodes and that would be stupid if they leave the series unfinished like that.

LordProsper said on October 26, 2013 at 1:03 p.m.

That sounds like the plot to a saturday morning cartoon.

Baby_Astaroth said on October 26, 2013 at 1:29 p.m.

And just like that I am no longer interested in a MK movie.

Otter_of_Death said on October 26, 2013 at 1:33 p.m.

This could go either way. It was nice having someone who appreciated the source material in the director's chair, but he did make some strange decisions regarding the plot. More than likely, this is a bad thing, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BlackMasamune said on October 26, 2013 at 1:36 p.m.

Decided to leave, yeah right. He revived the series after Hollywood damaged it so badly. And as soon as he is about to resurrect the film franchise, he gets pushed out.

ryuhayabusa13 said on October 26, 2013 at 1:58 p.m.

Well seeing the departure of someone who is a fan and understands the universe of the series is a red flag for me.

At this point waiting for Hollywood to take a crap on the fans again; making something with someone who doesn't give a damn about a franchise has a clue or understands its core.

Another legend of chun li or Dragon ball movie.

Good fighting game movies can be made if the right people are involved and not just someone who collects a paycheck. That's corporate policies for you.

will they prove me wrong someday?

SHAZAMforInjustice said on October 26, 2013 at 2:06 p.m.

Oh come on!
This has interference written all over it.

StreetFighterTekkenFanForever said on October 26, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

Will This Mess Up, When The Next Mortal Kombat Game Comes Up, Because It been Said They Wanted To Put Them Out Around Each Other

MF_BEATZ said on October 26, 2013 at 3:13 p.m.

meh.

cuzzo said on October 26, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

From a professional stand point, "I wish to move on to other oprotunities" is never as it sounds smh. My guess is some talk about big money or wanting some other big shot director to come in...

Raiden365 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:16 p.m.

Low budget shows always find another way to blow it up. That 2nd season was on point, so they should just continue with this web series imo.

Rocklee77 said on October 26, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

I think this whole thing is taken out of context. I don't think that him leaving has anything to do with the movie being made, or else he wouldn't have said "I wish everyone involved with the MOVIE* big success."

*(key word meaning this could mean that the movie is already finished being filmed)

cuzzo said on October 26, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

Maybe but like I said Persue other oppertunities is always the bs excuse. Which is a nice way of saying they were fired or forced to leave. But he'll eventually have an interview with someone and explain something

ShakeTheWorm said on October 26, 2013 at 8:58 p.m.

This smells really bad. At least for me. I really liked Tancharoen take on Mortal Kombat.

Almighty_Omega said on October 28, 2013 at 3:34 a.m.

I want to see a Mortal Kombat movie starring (Donnie Yen),(Jet Li),and (Tony Jaa) ! Donnie Yen would be a good Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Liu Kang ! Let the people who did (Ip Man) make a MK Movie ! Now thats going to be Action pack !