Rumor: Ultra Street Fighter 4 getting a 'Red Focus' that absorbs multiple hits, option to use both Ultras in a match, and delayed wake up mechanic

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • October 21, 2013 at 11:02 a.m. PDT

A large batch of Ultra Street Fighter 4 change rumors began circling the internet this morning. It's extremely important to note that this information is unsubstantiated at this time, and may end up being totally off base, so take it as you will.

These potential changes include a new "Red Focus" mechanic that absorbs multiple hits at the cost of meter, a choice to select both Ultras in a match, and a delayed wake up mechanic.

We've been tipped off by many sources about these potential changes, and frankly, some of the rumors seem much more likely than others. It goes without saying that without official confirmation these are strictly rumors at the moment, so take them with a huge side of Morton's.

Hit the jump for a list of this morning's Ultra Street Fighter 4 rumors.

• "Red Focus" being added
- Said to absorb two hits (anything that isn't armor breaking), costs 2 bars of meter, and level 2 is unblockable.
- Some sources are reporting that the damage may go unscaled after Red Focus.

• Players can choose both Ultras. - Not specified if this means you can use both with one meter, or have the choice between both (like Gen). - Supposedly, if a player opts to select both Ultras, the damage will be considerably less.

• A delayed wake up mechanic may be getting implemented as well. Reports suggest that the input will be MP+HP.

We'd like to note that multiple notable people in the community (who shall remain anonymous), have reported that the Red Focus implementation is actually set to be added. The other rumors are wild speculation based on images of a text message conversation between two undetermined parties, relaying the information. You can check out those images over on this NeoGAF post.

Regardless, everything in this post remains a rumor.

In the latest Saikyo blog, when talking about Ultra Street Fighter 4, Capcom's Ayano stated that we can expect to see "THAT," next week. We don't know what the reveal could be, but perhaps it is the 5th mystery character or a confirmation of some of the aforementioned rumors. Either way, we can expect some kind of announcement this week.

There is a whole lot to take in here, so please, feel free to let us know what you think of these Ultra Street Fighter 4 rumors in our comments section below.

Comments

SmokeRulz said on October 21, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

I could buy the Red Focus and Delayed Wakeup. Seriously doubting the Both Ultras rumor, though.

disp said on October 21, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

I'd like to see the delayed wake-up, the other two rumors seem too overpowered.

zombiebrian said on October 21, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

Man i hope the red parries are a joke delaying your wake up seems like a nice addition but takes away from the wake up setup game a tad

Evorgleb said on October 21, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

The delayed stand would help a great deal with dealing with votexes

Noddy said on October 21, 2013 at 11:08 a.m.

Wow

SnakeX said on October 21, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

It'd be nice to have some real credibility to rumors aside from people posting anonymous conversations.

XDIEX said on October 21, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

Dan is the man!

evilkevin said on October 21, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

game is called Ultra

wallie said on October 21, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

jab, jab, level 2 red focus, Ultra.

acku said on October 21, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

noob_blasta said on October 21, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

Be interesting to see how delayed wakeup works out for grapplers. This is such a powerful part of their game this mechanic may put them out of business completely.

BipolarTroll said on October 21, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

This is quite the list of changes. I've always wanted to have the option to use either Ultras in a match. MIND GAMES. These are just RUMORS though.

SoftShocks said on October 21, 2013 at 11:16 a.m.

I actually like all of these changes, hopefully they become reality.

EnsignHiro said on October 21, 2013 at 11:16 a.m.

Oh boy this will make some chars way too scary. Not only will I absorb two hits but I can delay wake up and use both ultras wth. Hope only delay is true

BlankaBeast said on October 21, 2013 at 11:16 a.m.

ROLL PLEASE!

THANX

streetfighterjoe said on October 21, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

Holyy Crappp This game is gonna be awesome

JiFoJoka said on October 21, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

With new mechanics, I have a feeling more patches are needed in the future. Not a bad thing though.

FightDirty said on October 21, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

I don't care for the idea of red focus but the delayed wake-up could be useful and I definitely like the idea of using both Ultras as long as the reduced damage isn't too severe.

ryuhayabusa13 said on October 21, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

Both Ultras Rumor would be awesome, but I doubt, becasue It would totally change the game and need a lot of rebalancing. Wishful thinking.

FatMus2 said on October 21, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

Super was called Super. Didn't see 2 Supers per character...
In fact, we got more Ultras instead.

David_I said on October 21, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

I think this will be the most polarizing SF4 game to date. Half of the FGC thinks it will be great. Other half will say it's a hot mess. lol.

YouDontKnowMe said on October 21, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

I can see a 3rd Ultra being added but the Red Focus and ability to have access to both ultra's at reduced damage doesn't sound like a great idea. Is being able to absorb 2 hits really worth 2 bars? Maybe I'm not thinking of all the possibilities...

blackerthancoal said on October 21, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

damn son those are retarded

nitrocan said on October 21, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

If red focus level 2 is unblockable, does level 1 crumple? I hope not lol.

Mike said on October 21, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

No one would EVER beat Fei Long

Atax1s said on October 21, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

Gief would be ridiculous with access to both ultra moves. The 2 ultra thing won't make it past loc tests

Dr_Panic_PhD said on October 21, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

The only problem i see with having both ultras is, if they do it, Oni will have a problem since I thought they were changing the input of his Ultra 2 to 2 QCF with 3 kicks or something. that would totally screw with the vertical Ultra 1. either way I don't really see the both ultra change happening. Red focus and delayed wakeup I can see.

RedRapperSux said on October 21, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

This is extra lame: "Players can choose both Ultras. - Not specified if this means you can use both with one meter, or have the choice between both (like Gen). - Supposedly, if a player opts to select both Ultras, the damage will be considerably less."

Baby_Astaroth said on October 21, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

So level 2 of Red Focus is unblockable and no damage scaling? Sounds OP to me. Red Focus into raw 100% Ultra. Ridiculous!!

I'd never choose to use 2 ultra's at the cost of damage. I would like to see everyone get 1 new ultra.

I like the delayed get up.

MontoniBeatdown said on October 21, 2013 at 11:32 a.m.

what they should deff do is the roll mechanic, when u get a chance to quick stand make it a possibility to roll to either side. like the Alpha days

rie_dude said on October 21, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Are we like the only ones that see the sense in this? lol

ShinzoBishamon said on October 21, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Im sorry but in theory alone red focus is really unbalanced

dorayaki said on October 21, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Look at the screen shots from the new characters testing - only one Ultra specified on Ultra meter. Doubt that changed.

It'd be cool if they had a low focus AND high focus - but to make focus stronger is ludi-culous.

Delayed wake up has always been mentioned from the get-go.

Also, 5th character is Ryu's brother - Raoh. Oh, and ChunLi can throw her bracelets. (ol' school will get that one lol)

UncleBibby said on October 21, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.

I wonder what the command for the Red Ultra will be? Heavy+Heavy? Are taunts going back to the select button???

Delayed Wakeup is gonna make my T. Hawk mixups completely useless. Unless T. Hawks sweep and grab are un-delay-able... Yeah that's gotta be it!!!

maxi2099 said on October 21, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

If the two ultra's option is true, I do not care anymore for the nerf on Zanguief's 360.

Redvii said on October 21, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

While the introduction of new mechanics would be great for shaking the game up, I really doubt any of this. I don't think Capcom would let them put this much work into the game. Keep in mind all that's been announced about USF4 is:

-Balance update
-SFxT Stages
-SFxT Characters
-1 original character (I'm calling Shin-Gouken or similar btw)

I don't think it's Capcom's style to do something so extravagant - but it would be cool!

warriors said on October 21, 2013 at 11:40 a.m.

i want more characters, not a new game :(

please dont add anything of that

zombiebrian said on October 21, 2013 at 11:44 a.m.

Capcom cant win, if they only put in new chars they get "but its the same game repackaged" if they update the engines they "ruin the game by changing it too much"

nullzZzleep said on October 21, 2013 at 11:45 a.m.

red focus? gehNow! who would ever believe that! my sympathies!
i also dislike the idea of two ultras.

djgeki said on October 21, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

How about this for red focus - triggered automatically if used on startup of opponent's special. So, you think your opponent is going to wakeup with a DP, and you time your focus to coincide with the first few frames = red focus. If the opponent expects this, and does a FADC, they can still follow-up with a two-hit (or armor-breaking) attack to nullify your red focus.

Honestly, if triggering red focus is based 100% on timing, I believe it will add a new dimension to gameplay. Not to mention that should it require two bars to activate, you'll have to think twice about focusing on your opponent if you want to keep that super you've got stocked.

ShakeTheWorm said on October 21, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

Yay, red focus is going to make the game even less agressive, yay. Not re-picking this game soon if those rumors are true.

The_Big_Boss said on October 21, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

I wouldn't mind Red Focus. Seems like it would be a nightmare for shotos with no meter. Its something that would be useful. Delayed wakeup I would like and the use of both ultras at the cost of less damage isn't bad at all. I think it is an equal trade off.

Kara101 said on October 21, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

A third ultra would be great. Now, use both ultras? That's just ridiculous.

Mike_layZee said on October 21, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

Astro_Notch said on October 21, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

They also said something about new modes.

PowerBeard said on October 21, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.

Red focus sounds too strong even if it is 2 meters. Level 2 focus shouldn't be unblockable, oh well fei long will be god tier if that gets in

courte said on October 21, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

it makes sense right?
-everyone's talking about option selects all the time [i know not even a bad joke]
-if everyone is mostly cancelling into ultra after big combo for scaled damage they might as well be offered the route of skipping that combo and just nerf their own damage [i'm aware combo into ultra still equals damage and meter but... at that damage scaling?]
-if theres two ultras each doing less damage, i know i'd focus a lot more in a match. it'd open myself up, but the return... depends on the character and player at the end of the day

Lock1991 said on October 21, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

Free 50/50

hursh said on October 21, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

Red focus seems flat out unnecessary. Delayed get up only makes sense to deal with unblockables, which they said will be removed, so other than that i dont think it will help the game that much. 2 ultras at less power seems most likely to me, but this game was designed to have one ultra or the other. Akuma with U1 and U2 will be dumb, and gief/t hawk will have a straight 50/50 with U1 and U2 after a knockdown. Not to mention fei and cammy always having their counter ultras, so you gotta play more carefully while they can go in more and scare people with their U2's while still having their already great U1's. I honestly hope none of these get implemented

SimSimIV said on October 21, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

Give Dhalsim a 2 hitting mk to deal with focus. Give everyone a focus that absorbs both hits:P

Also if the 2 ultra rumor is right, that should be great for Sim who doesn't really use his ultra 1 for damage:)

Imagine4D said on October 21, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

i would prefer Capcom to invest this time and money into SFV.

why put all your resources into revamping a 5 year old game that is already extremely solid and balanced? its not worth the risk.

courte said on October 21, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

this game is so alpha it's stupid
add a third ultra and call it a day

i'm ready for sf5. ex characters, 1 characters, alpha characters, final fighter characters. grooves, isms, sawada, blade, cyborg, and more new characters than old. just do it. also speed, power, and ex style [ex tourney banned] a la last blade

kappa?

Super_Honda said on October 21, 2013 at 12:05 p.m.

I seriously hope that Red Focus is just a rumor because that will ruin USF4 big time. I already knew about using 2 ultras at the same time, but for me, I think it's unnecessary at this stage. But I do like it when a ultra combo damage will be reduced if a player uses 2 ultras. As for the delayed wake up, it can be good against characters who have good mix-up options, but Capcom is removing hard-to-block moves and I'm not too sure if they are nerfing vortex strategies. Since it's just rumours, I'll take it as that, but it seems like having 2 ultras is the rumour that could end up being true.

courte said on October 21, 2013 at 12:06 p.m.

oh wait capcom hates new characters unless it's a new ip so...

Rival Schools will become Street Fighter V. With Slightly less stereotypical characters. Starring R.Mika and King Cobra

KappaMikey

lh said on October 21, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

but in SFIII you could pick all three SuperArts, maybe it'll be a cheat option, and you can only use it online if your opponent also has his/her cheat option turned on!

SKILL said on October 21, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.

The only thing i dig is the delayed wake up. This would be cool for chars with no wake up options.
The rest i crap and would make things complicated for no good reason.
Make both Ultra different yet viable and call it a a day!

Tryken said on October 21, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

I don't even know how to feel about some of these changes until I play with them. I would like them to speed the game up. Right now SFIV feels a little too slow. I don't want it to be an anime fighter, but just a little faster would go a long way.

sebmaq said on October 21, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

red focus my ass that would be waaaaaay over powered, its hard enough dealing with regular focus some times. I smell bull. The rest of the stuff seems logical.

lh said on October 21, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

but what will SFV bring to the players? better graphics? SF always used cartoonish graphics so no real need for higher-res graphics than this, and as for gameplay they could've made SFIV fully 3D but chose not to, why? and will they change that for nex-gen? if they do so it won't be for technical reasons because the current consoles can do full 3D now.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on October 21, 2013 at 12:13 p.m.

The two ultra rumor has been floating around day after evo ended. Nothing new there, red focus? No thank you. Delay on get up, need more info. If you delay your stand up, can you be hit on the ground?

sarif2soon said on October 21, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

I'd say they're ALL fake. However, the delayed wake-up seems like a very nice idea.

Red Focus would be too OP. Absorbs two hits and doesn't scale damage? Too good to be true.

Mark_Bruder said on October 21, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

My god no...

lh said on October 21, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

It seems strange that, in a fighting game, when you are on your back is when you are invulnerable!

Having both Ultras isn't a big deal because most UltraII's are situational, and 66% damage is too high for both Ultras, and adding a new Ultra or a new super is actually pointless because the attack wouldn't be very different from what the character already has. I'd rather have both ultras at once.

ChunLi's never had easy armour breaking before, so the fact that they gave her a reasonably easy armour breaking move sugests that there will be a red focus with level 2 unblockable, same for Dhalsim's double hit medium kick, but what will be the command? MK+HK?

The problem with having a roll-mechanic is that the game feels like a platform game and the characters lose their ''weighty'' feel. Play SFAlpha and you'll quickly see that it feels closer to platform game where you jump around from platform to platform "popping" things.

Jaxon76 said on October 21, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

FADC canceling a move into a red parry would cost 4 bars. Would create some new mixups.

I can see Rose, Dhalsim, and Akuma benefiting a lot from having both Ultras.

TehTy said on October 21, 2013 at 12:17 p.m.

I can see the both ultras, but Red focus sounds weird. Delayed wake-up seems realisic tho.

Ryu_Apprentice said on October 21, 2013 at 12:17 p.m.

Hahahhahahaaaaa! Okay this made my day. Red focus? Level 2 as is is a strong tactic for fei dudley evil ryu to name a few, 2 netter for unblockable lv2 with Fei range now fei has more reason to use u1. Man I call bluff on these changes.

Imagine4D said on October 21, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

i wouldn't say "better" graphics but SFV will bring "different" graphics. every version of SF has had "different" art styles from each other.
oh man if they turn SFV into a 3D game, that would be franchise suicide!

im just sayin, these rumors are pretty cool and all but why mess with a formula that is already incredibly successful. they should put these ideas into SF5 and leave SF4 as-is. for selfish reasons, most of us arent getting any younger and we'd like to play SF5 before hangin' up the gloves.

NEWkidCJ said on October 21, 2013 at 12:19 p.m.

Delayed wake up? Just whiff more buttons. lol

Emesots said on October 21, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.
GeneralSpecific said on October 21, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

They're leaving it pretty late in the day for a location test in Japan arcades, if the release is meant to be around Feb or March 2014 on consumer platforms.

End of October and close to November now.
Arcade version is the ultimate Quality Assurance test, especially by the worlds best players.
I'm getting worried. =[

And Honda is Top? Again?
It's Super SF4 all over again, but with Ryu's nerfed air tatsu.

Lame.

Undead_Hayabusa said on October 21, 2013 at 12:24 p.m.

just bring it back to the way meters worked in Alpha and Ill be happy -_-

Super_Honda said on October 21, 2013 at 12:24 p.m.

I looked at that link and if that's the case, then E Honda is back at the top. Too sweet. Watch out, noobs.....

YoraiDragon said on October 21, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

2 supers in one match with scaling/damage reduction, sounds good to me. 2 Ultras in one match? No thanks.

oldboy said on October 21, 2013 at 12:28 p.m.

I personally don't like the changes. Random sh*t just became ten times better. Guess it'll make for a good laugh though.

Mark_Bruder said on October 21, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.

Praying for that, because, if the game will have other modes to put that lots of crap, they need to preserve the current gameplay with some "Classic mode" or something like to let us a chance to give a fu-- about this crap changes.

Spaghetti_Time said on October 21, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

What the hell would be the input for Red Focus?

YoraiDragon said on October 21, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

Red focus sounds OP. Just changing focus to not break on "counter hit" is better.

OhYouDontSayThat said on October 21, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

the red focus is made up by fans, capcom forgot how good third strike was along time ago.

HooliganComboFTW said on October 21, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

Delayed wake up= I'm ok with this

Red focus= make it 3-4 meter, 2 meter is too little of a resource cost for that great of a mechanic for certain characters.

Both ultras at once with reduced damage= fine with this, they both would share the same ultra meter. People asking for a 3rd ultra are kidding themselves. That means more work for Capcom making many frames of animations for each character already in the game PLUS for the SFXT/new character in Ultra.

Xykes said on October 21, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

This game gets more SFxT like with every moment...increased wakeup options, 3+ supers/ultras to deal with in a single fight, SFxT characters...

People might as well play SFxT, which is already here and fun.

Kolbe said on October 21, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

Is it april 1st already?

Zanpakto said on October 21, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.

Player could choose both ultras - Its good only if Damage is decrease by alot, i'm already tired ultras makes a possible comeback factor rewarding players for losing pisses me off.

Delay wakeup - Meh

RED FOCUS absorb two hits (anything that isn't armor breaking), costs 2 bars of meter, and level 2 is unblockable - ok I'm Done

jme said on October 21, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

Eh, these rumors are weak sauce.

oldboy said on October 21, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

can you imagine the snackish special with red focus and giefs ultra 1 and 2

Ralycer said on October 21, 2013 at 12:50 p.m.

Agree

YoraiDragon said on October 21, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

No, they broke my character. Now she's the worst char in the game. To heck with SFxT.

GeneralSpecific said on October 21, 2013 at 12:54 p.m.

Could Capcom end up trolling us loyal SF players like they did with MegaMan fans??

HASJ said on October 21, 2013 at 12:54 p.m.

They should add new supers instead.
Liking changes, just need to balance it right.
I think the damage reduction is already a good penalty altogether for both Ultras.
LOVE the Red Focus idea.

Miniabel said on October 21, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

On hard knockdown? Hohoooo.....I prey it's a fake, Abel's mixup are dead if it's true.

XeroDgX said on October 21, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

f#$% dhalsim....Gen with 4 ultras FTW lol....and akuma and seth and Zangief with an ultra for any ocasion while you waking up would be too OP too

SummerUndercover said on October 21, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.

A delayed wakeup mechanic would be the greatest thing that could ever happen to SF4. It would essentially neutralize the wakeup game instead of people saying "oh well if you play as _______, you're just going to have to learn how to block on wakeup" just so you can get put in another mixup situation and potentially get knocked down again. But heaven forbid vortex-reliant players would have to learn how to play footsies in SF. That would just be asking too much.

Kijui said on October 21, 2013 at 1:03 p.m.

Dan used as the article header?!
Dat MSHvSF artwork!

LittleScumbag said on October 21, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

every rumored change sounds kind of resonable ,and every single one contributes in a single way to generaly balance the game...
Only thing i am worried about is my main Ryu who is going to drop considerably in the tier list after Ultra

ededol2 said on October 21, 2013 at 1:13 p.m.

So.... how is El Fuerte supposed to ever win ever? how about T Hawk or Abel?
They are really screwing those chars over if the delayed wake up is implemented...

kaka said on October 21, 2013 at 1:14 p.m.

delayed wakeup won't help, unless you have 100% control over it otherwise people will just find setups around it

GeneralSpecific said on October 21, 2013 at 1:20 p.m.

LittleScumbag / #93,

Then you might like to make a decision about SF4 right now.
If these so-called dirty changes are implemented, walk away from SF4 now.

Save yourself a world of pain.

Ir0nTriggor said on October 21, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

I think Delayed Wakeup or Wakeup Rolls would be a good addition BUT it should cost 2 bars.. otherwise ABEL is finished.. Guard Break should also be added this time..

EndlessWitch said on October 21, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

The only thing that is reasonable out of these rumors is the delayed wakeup. The other two are just adding stuff just for the sake of it.

mcknight8279109 said on October 21, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

Makoto with both ultras available?
Come on now...lets get real
They just need to give everybody another super to choose from

GeneralSpecific said on October 21, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

Do NOT add Guard Break when you have characters that can escape and teleport away with no meter cost. Jesus.

My god, we're doomed.