Posted by Catalyst
October 15, 2013 at 7:42 p.m. PDT
Microsoft thinks Xbox One and PC cross-platform play 'makes sense', notes they're 'not allowed to leak things' In what may be some indication that the Xbox One and PC will have cross-platform compatibility, to some extent, Microsoft's Phil Spencer said that enabling such a feature "makes a lot of sense."

He also stated that he wasn't "allowed to leak things," and smiled, which some have read into as there being some type of cross-platform play feature coming to Microsoft's Xbox One console and PC gamers.

Fighting game competitors have often asked for cross platform play for the Street Fighter 4 series and Street Fighter X Tekken, and Capcom had previously said the process was "not trivial."

They stated at the time that doing such would require version locking, meaning both platforms would have to be updated at the same time, to keep them in sync — and they also cited scheduling issues.

These statements were made back in 2009, and it will be interesting to see if any cross-platform fighting games can get a foothold on the next generation consoles, and if they will at some point offer cross-platform options.

Including more of the player pool is definitely an appealing prospect for many in the competitive community, so the first major fighting game which offers this could see a nice leg up on their competition.

You can hit the jump to view the quote from Phil Spencer.

AusGamers: With Games For Windows Live shuttering and Windows 8 being a kind of ubiquitous OS for Microsoft products, is there any chance we’ll start seeing cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC now that the architecture is so similar and with, as you mentioned, the expanded Cloud capabilities server-side?

Phil: I’m not allowed to leak things [smiles]. But I think what you’re talking about makes a lot of sense. Now you have differences in Windows gaming and console gaming around control and input... in fact if you go back to Shadow Run on Xbox 360 -- something I worked on -- we had PC players playing against Xbox 360 customers. We didn’t have tremendous success with that, but we learnt a lot from it. And then earlier this year we released Skulls of the Shogun, which was a game we launched on all three platforms on the same day, and you could start on one platform and then save the game to the Cloud and play across any of the screens and progress. And then Halo: Spartan Assault has some links between Halo 4 and Spartan Assault, even though they’re very different games. This connected ecosystem across all the different devices is definitely where I think the future of gaming is going; you don’t have to do it as a developer, but you have the capability and I think a system like Xbox Live across all those screens where you know who someone is and who their friends are, what their Achievements are and their progression is really critical to that.

Source: AusGamers.

Comments

NoizyChild said on October 15, 2013 at 7:44 p.m.

And suddenly, all the XB1 haters were silenced.

Amen.

Legacy_of_K said on October 15, 2013 at 7:47 p.m.

Until it's not a reality, we can hate,remember FF14

MykeBoi908 said on October 15, 2013 at 7:49 p.m.

lol love it xD

HmpLghtng said on October 15, 2013 at 7:59 p.m.

Potential hope for XB1? maybe.

If only KI got ported to PC.

gluemchen said on October 15, 2013 at 8:04 p.m.

Yep Microsoft wants ppl to buy windows 8 to play the next gen games. PC Gamers won`t like this all to much. I can see Steam getting more attention if windows tried to force a new OS down peoples throats just to be able to play games. Especially when the OS is a piece of trash. Microsoft has done nothing for developers or hardware engineers over the years. And now they want in on that slice of pie. Get out of here. Also F*** DirectX

Kalyx_triaD said on October 15, 2013 at 8:06 p.m.

I don't care whether or not I can play people on PC. I logged on to post this.

How is everyone?

DunnDeal said on October 15, 2013 at 8:09 p.m.

Seriously bro, I don't understand why people hate the X1 so much for no reason. That DRM policy was scratched so what's the excuse now? I want both next gen consoles

Kalyx_triaD said on October 15, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.

It's hip to hate. It's been a growing trend in the gaming community to choose sides and... hate gaming essentially. We all have our preferences; I think Call of Duty is garbage, for instance. But do I have a addiction to going to every CoD youtube video and article and say this? Nope. There's fighting games I don't care for, but you'd be hard pressed to know which one - because I have better things to do than let the world know every article. Like watch paint dry. Or count the stars.

Paine said on October 15, 2013 at 8:18 p.m.

All this si telling me is now I have more of a reason not to get an XB1. Now all I need is a PC and PS4.

soggytoast said on October 15, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.

Let's see, the only news I've heard about the PS4 in the past few months was about the "Red Line of Death" when it overheats and crashes.

Does Sony have anything nice to tell us about their system? ANYTHING AT ALL? Do they really think that fanboy hype alone will win them the console wars?

HmpLghtng said on October 15, 2013 at 8:23 p.m.

It's because if they thought a policy such as that was a good idea at a time, who knows what kind of crazy ideas they have in the future of the XB1?

It's not a bad idea to be hesitant of a company who would think that was a good idea.

aridarron said on October 15, 2013 at 8:24 p.m.

I won't put it pass them to rush a windows 8 gaming edition or an update with a gaming mode in by January and make Xbox Live a game distributor on both XBone and PC, It looks that way to me.

hazelnut1112 said on October 15, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

So will this meant that KI will come out on PC hopefully?

Post_a_comment said on October 15, 2013 at 8:32 p.m.

GFWL will be soon killed by MSFT. Capcom will go for steamplay. how can MSFT achieve this?

TheLaw said on October 15, 2013 at 8:48 p.m.

Its because people aren't easily suckered in... Microsoft does one thing right due to the horrible preorder sales most likely and now everyone just faithfully hops back on the Xbox One? Its almost laughable how bad we look right now. Gullible and Pathetic. If i dont get a PC soon ill be picking up the PS4 and Keeping my Xbox 360.

Mufausa said on October 15, 2013 at 8:50 p.m.

Cough Cough.. KI is coming to PC.

StriderGlemX5 said on October 15, 2013 at 9:05 p.m.

I'll just leave my PC specs here

Dbreezy229 said on October 15, 2013 at 9:05 p.m.

@TheLaw #15 Actually Microsoft has done a few things right. They brought back Killer Instinct (Thank GOD!!), Got rid of the DRM restriction bs, and they are hinting at cross-platform play with PC in the future. Now I know majority of the people are getting PS4 because its cheaper but Microsoft is beginning to sell why there console is a $100 more. Sure your getting Kinect with your console and most people hate it but no one has used this new Kinect, and you know what it? It may actually work this time. No one has even thought of that possibility.

DangerousBacon said on October 15, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.

Your comment does give off some fan boy vibes of your own. Just saying.

Aluppoj said on October 15, 2013 at 9:30 p.m.

Love the idiotic Preemptive Strike in every thread you post. That's not getting old at all.

Btw, it opens a dialogue to the subject you claim to want silenced. Makes no sense.

Starting to think you are not the Troll hunter, but the ultimate Troll yourself.

Amen

NoizyChild said on October 15, 2013 at 9:34 p.m.

Lol.

It's going to happen whether I say it or not.

Quit blaming me for being able to correctly predict what happens in every KI or SFxT article.

You know why I'm almost always right? Because this site's comment's section is a cesspool 99% of the time.

I think the site itself is great, and some of the more even-minded people here are fun to converse and debate with.

But, if you notice, the people that always get mad at me when I do my Negrodamus routine are almost always the ones that contribute to it.

Strange, no?

RedRapperSux said on October 15, 2013 at 9:36 p.m.

It's the elitist roots in gaming. This goes way back.

Aluppoj said on October 15, 2013 at 9:47 p.m.

Then stop adding to the problem by feeding into it.

And it's obnoxious.

yes4me said on October 15, 2013 at 9:52 p.m.

Awesome!

hewhay said on October 15, 2013 at 10:01 p.m.

From the top of my head I remember that Portal 2 has "cross platform play" between PS3 and PC. I believe that there are more, at least FFXIV Realm's reborn features it and I remember reading an article about the game not coming to the 360 because MS doesn't allow cross platform play. I also remember reading about that when Portal 2 was released. So, the news are that MS is catching up?

hewhay said on October 15, 2013 at 10:05 p.m.

If somebody tries to scam you and you have to stand up against him to stop him. Will you trust him afterwards?

Kwisatz_Haderach said on October 15, 2013 at 10:12 p.m.

@21 You're part of that cesspool, numb nuts. Most of your posts are inane.

hewhay said on October 15, 2013 at 10:21 p.m.

care to explain why its worth the extra 100?

stream_monster said on October 15, 2013 at 10:46 p.m.

Exactly, I doubt they'll do it because it's most likely going to hurt XB1 sales. Maybe they'll implement it down the line, after sales slow way down, if anything.

Wedge said on October 15, 2013 at 10:52 p.m.

Yawn, by "PC" Microsoft means Win 8 Metro apps. So this means absolutely nothing.

qcevolution said on October 15, 2013 at 10:57 p.m.

But their policies really weren't THAT bad... Ppl were being serious drama queens... :/

Pachendrix said on October 15, 2013 at 11:38 p.m.

So where are all the "there's no way KI will be ported" PC haters now? I've said it several times already, within a year (hopefully much sooner than that), we WILL get KI to PC and this pretty much confirms it. Now all the XBone fan boys are fapping to this news as if this means the XB1 will be a superior entity, while in reality, it means that instead of getting an XBone, all you need is to buy a PC (if you didn't had one already), because there's a pretty good chance we're getting most, if not all, the "exclusives" (including KI).

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on October 15, 2013 at 11:48 p.m.

KI on PC would be great.

DunnDeal said on October 16, 2013 at 12:09 a.m.

Hey look everyone, he wants to let everyone know he's a PC Gamer. Lets put all of our attention towards him.

xBMxSage said on October 16, 2013 at 12:10 a.m.

It was a marketing strategy. They wanted to do something that was sure to get a lot of feedback even if it were negative. Due to the negative feedback received and them changing their policies, they wanted to create the impression that they "listened" to us, the gamers. Personally I find this strategy to be stupid since it mostly backfired because a lot of people don't recognize what their plan was and truly believe they were going to implement the policies they initially gave us and as a result still hate them.

Drameron said on October 16, 2013 at 12:19 a.m.

Yes....... Yessssssssssssssssss

Sasuga said on October 16, 2013 at 12:28 a.m.

Ok, now I'm even more convinced not to get an X1 and to wait until a PC version for KI3 is announced. ^_^

Schwoi said on October 16, 2013 at 12:40 a.m.

how does this confirm KI for PC? I guess the reasoning would be: they hinted at cross-platform play so they need to make every game released on XB1 available for PC too? that is a strange causality...
but tbh I hope you are right, I also want KI on PC

GeneralSpecific said on October 16, 2013 at 12:59 a.m.

Does Steam (and its games) even run properly under Windows 8 in Windows 8 mode?

I sense an opportunity for Sony to land a killer blow with some choice strategic partnerships for cross-platform compatibility here.

qcevolution said on October 16, 2013 at 2 a.m.

Soooooo your saying ppl r gonna go out and b more willing to spend 800-1000$ on a gaming pc (Considering this games graphics u'll need a strong pc) instead of just spending the 500$ for a console....?

Kawalorn said on October 16, 2013 at 2:24 a.m.

#41 You mean 600$ (If you know what are you doing) + the fact that PC games are a lot cheaper?

timefalls said on October 16, 2013 at 2:24 a.m.

make it happen!

MisguidedAngel said on October 16, 2013 at 2:34 a.m.

I'm assuming they're talking about Titanfall having cross-platform play. I wouldn't get my hopes up for KI on PC.

Sasuga said on October 16, 2013 at 2:49 a.m.

I think there is a good chance that they will do a KI3 PC release after a year or so. The XBone is basically already a PC running DirectX 11.2, AFAIK. The only reason NOT to do a PC release would be to boost XBone sales.

kotakuhubs said on October 16, 2013 at 3:27 a.m.

TheDoK666 said on October 16, 2013 at 3:53 a.m.

hum microsoft will shutdown the live for PC but the cross play will come? like wtf? but ye just go on pc then and buy a ps4 x)

LittleScumbag said on October 16, 2013 at 4:27 a.m.

You forgeting the sweet torrents we have ;) ... SO, yes a 1000$ PC is less expensive than a 500$ console when you look long terms...

And i'd get a PS4 before a Xbone any time :
100$ cheaper
No Kinect
superior hardware ... thank you!!!

Hypermarth said on October 16, 2013 at 5 a.m.

Good... then I can just buy fighters on PC to play with Xbone players(If they exist).... or just go PS4

riku45 said on October 16, 2013 at 5:03 a.m.

Played blaz blue cross play. It was actually ok

Malesoun said on October 16, 2013 at 5:05 a.m.

The red line of death was caused by poor airflow around the console. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that if you put any console/PC in an enclosure without ventilation it will overheat! The RLOD forces a shut down, it doesn't crash the console AFAIK.

MrEibmoz said on October 16, 2013 at 5:42 a.m.

I honestly dont know why people want this. PC is easily macro'd, easily glitched via graphics options etc.. yeah these things can happen on console but much less so. I've seen crazy sh-t playing SF4 and SFXT on PC. Console is SO much better an experience. I hope if they do it you can opt to only play vs console players in matchmaking.

SteadiestShark said on October 16, 2013 at 5:43 a.m.

Basically:

Screw windows 8.

disp said on October 16, 2013 at 5:46 a.m.

That would be sick. I'd love a bigger competition on PC.

Necreon said on October 16, 2013 at 5:49 a.m.

Yeah they said the same bullsh*t with 360 and Vista. Currently I know no crossplatform multiplayer game with PC-any consoles.

Smorgasboard said on October 16, 2013 at 5:53 a.m.

I play Dota 2 on Windows 8 and not only does it not have any problems, it works great. In fact, I really prefer Windows 8 over all my older machines.

Where does this hate against Windows 8 come from?

Shinkutatsumaki said on October 16, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.

Wow this is great news. I really hope that this is true.

Aluppoj said on October 16, 2013 at 6:02 a.m.

Is there anyone on EH that doesn't understand that making a statement like this ONE month before launch is a Marketing tactic?

Well, it is.

Maybe it'll happen.... Maybe it won't. If it does, it may not happen for KI.

But guess what. Saying this now (rather than later) will net them more sales.

Buy XBO or don't. But please don't get swindled like chumps.

Bighayride said on October 16, 2013 at 6:21 a.m.

Wonder how many of these PS4 supporters make minimum wage and can't find a decent job. Yet they support the Japanese company over the American. Brilliant.

hewhay said on October 16, 2013 at 6:49 a.m.

Both Portal 2 and FFXIV realms reborn are with the PS3 and I'm pretty sure that there are more

Spazgamer12 said on October 16, 2013 at 6:52 a.m.

#58 thank you

#59 Microsoft doesn't have the type of jobs that the majority of ppl making minimum wage can get left in the states. They have all been moved to China.

KingKong said on October 16, 2013 at 6:56 a.m.

Xbox <> PC ? Meh. I'd rather they stop splitting the console community in half. I tell you, the xbox live / psn segregation is one of the worst thing to have happened to this industry so screw these greedy corporations

sebmaq said on October 16, 2013 at 7:09 a.m.

I really dont like the idea of multiplayer games being cross platform with PC, FPS are notorious for hackers and well my experience with SF4 on pc was awful, ppl with crap PCs lagging up and stuff.

PowerBeard said on October 16, 2013 at 7:23 a.m.

I'll be honest the only reason I want Xb1 is for KI, if this is any good I may actually save up for one. I want to build a desktop but it's so expensive for a decent PC :(

DangerousBacon said on October 16, 2013 at 7:42 a.m.

If you think investing in Microsoft will alleviate the job problem, you're sorely mistaken. SMH

Sanox said on October 16, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

killer instinct pc confirmed took long enough. Kappa

Bui said on October 16, 2013 at 8:44 a.m.

Irrelevant

Saikyobbi said on October 16, 2013 at 8:49 a.m.

You know, I don't think "Cross-platform" play is that strong of a selling point for a console itself. Maybe for certain games, and lord knows Fighting Games could use that.

I would probably get KI if it was released on PC, if that's coming down the line.

ReddChief said on October 16, 2013 at 9:20 a.m.

As long as PS4 doesn't get cross play with PC GOOD the cross play with the PS Vita was bad enough

ryuhayabusa13 said on October 16, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.

Wish this wasn't a sarcasm joke and was true :\

But who knows maybe they will bring it and finally be able to play it 60 fps at 1080p or higher.

Bighayride said on October 16, 2013 at 9:43 a.m.

30 years of thinking supporting foreign companies vs American companies is irrelevant has more to do with our current lack of jobs than you think.

fxtricky said on October 16, 2013 at 10:25 a.m.

Console war stuff aside i wish it was a world that we could cross platform play. At the least the none 1st party stuff. 3rd party games should be cross platform. It takes the brand loyalty out the picture. No more arguments who has what or whats better vs what looks good. Most the big games would be played by everyone. Exclusives are tiered and a silly way to say HEY COME TO MY PLATFORM. In the end i dont think any of this hype stuff matters as Microsoft and Sony will come up with reasons not to ever cross play. Conflict of intrest.

There was an article about a sony rep saying this would be the last console cycle and that we would have services similar to hulu or netflix playing our games. As long as the price isnt bloated and the games are either cheap or you get a full library for paying the sub thats the raod that will in most cases win out vs cross platform play. For now its nice to dream of a more unified gaming world.

TheTHCGamer said on October 16, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

Agreed Noizy there's no reason to bait the trolls and to be honest there's been a lot less Xbox one hate lately. Maybe that's because gamers can't deny the fact that the more we here about Xbox one and games like KI the better things are sounding. The fact is if your a fighting game fan Xbox one might be the better console to get at launch.

I have no idea when the first PS4 fighting game is going to be released but I guess that means I'll just have to wait since I'm getting a PS4 first. I'll eventually own all 3 consoles this coming gen just like I did with the current gen. Console loyalty is suppose it's all about the games for me and in the end they just want our money anyway.

YouneverWIN said on October 16, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

EGSeniorMofo said on October 16, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

XBOX GOD WON THE CONSOLE WAR Kreygasm

BlankaBeast said on October 16, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

PS4

This wording is a bad attempt to sell more consoles without actually giving any feature or reason.

Bulletwithbatwings said on October 16, 2013 at 1:31 p.m.

Sony isn't just talking about this; PS4 already has this.

Tenchi_Sokaigen said on October 16, 2013 at 4 p.m.

PC / Console cross play isn´t a good thing, like not good at all. The possible issues are outweighting the benefits by a large amount, seriously.

fxtricky said on October 16, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

What issues are there? If you take the digital system into account like steam and more to a point onlive or somthing like hulu and netflix but for games then no piracy or at least none thats in effect of what is already around. Look no futher than ps+ for an idea of that future as is. Never own the game but pay a monthly few to swap games here and there based on what you want in your collection. When internet speeds are not restrictive and bandwidths can be higher the servers are already there so... Next if its the keyboard mouse vs control thats not much an issue either as most games that come out on pc use a control of some sort be it microsoft brand or pc kind to joysticks, fightsticks and otherwise.
I dont see the problem with cross platform play as it just gets rid of the brand loyalty that most people brag about and argue about. Leaderboards can show everyone playing and game dev can make more money hence why having a few exclusive titles on any single system is a backwards ideal that they feel the sting right now to this day with not making as much money as can be made. There are only plus sides to cross play and a eventual process unless the bad happens where you have to have both services or more just to play with friends. And even then there is no downside. For instance paying for internet aside if you dont have cable but want to watch movies and tv shows having both hulu and netflix or anything similar is still cheaper than paying for cable and only watching a show at a time. Hence why cable companys will not be offering cable in the near future. They know whats killing them and its the conveince of having the full library at all times vs only watching a few things here and there. Far as news goes we all have google/yahoo/news.com whatever so yeah.
Sorry im ranting but i dont see any form of way cross play is a issue. Please explain. Thanks

Pachendrix said on October 16, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

How does wanting a game to be released for PC (because for obvious reasons it's not gonna be out for PS4) makes me a PC gamer? I'm actually a console player, but if there's a better version of the game on PC, I'll play it on PC. But go on, show everyone how brilliant you are, tagging people because of a single unrelated comment. lol dumbass

Pachendrix said on October 16, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

@qcevolution

People already said it, but I'll repeat it. All you need is $600, and a little bit of brain power. Get in touch with someone that knows how to work a PC, and walah. You got yourself a PC, able to run any game available (and at least 90% of them on max settings). If what you want is a beast PC full of unnecessary hardware that you wont even need until 2020, then that's a whole different story. But yeah, I'm saying people are going to be willing to spend $600 dollars on a PC, far superior than an XBone, which allows them to play almost any game on the market (except for SONY/Nintendo exclusives), with better quality, better frame rate, better visuals, and most of the time, for free (if you wait a month for the cracked versions). And this goes without even mentioning the thousands of features a PC has that no console have.