Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • October 5, 2013 at 8:40 p.m. PDT
Mike Ross: I'm definitely interested in doing Excellent Adventures again - explains why he first picked E. Honda We recently had the chance to talk with the man, the myth, the legend — Mike Ross.

One of the most popular players in the fighting game community, Ross spoke with us about why he originally picked up E. Honda, a possible return to Excellent Adventures with Gootecks, and if he'd ever consider becoming a sponsored player again.

What initially attracted Mike to E. Honda may come as a surprise, as he heard about a move that would hit the other character a hundred times from a kid on his baseball team, and it was performed just by mashing the punch buttons.

At the time, he didn't even know the name of the moves, and an attack that allowed you to hit the opponent a hundred times sounded awesome, so he picked up E. Honda.

"I needed to do that move," said Ross, in regards to the Hundred Hand Slap, so he selected the sumo wrestler back in the Street Fighter 2 series days, and has stuck with him ever since.

Switching gears a bit, we asked Ross if he could ever see himself returning to filming Excellent Adventures. The popular series has been on hiatus since early January 2013 and Gootecks had previously said it was unlikely to return. Hit the jump to read on.

"Yes, I'm definitely interested in doing stuff with Excellent Adventures," said Ross, when asked about working with Ryan "Gootecks" Gutierrez again on the series, although the finer details haven't been worked out, yet.

Some wondered if there was some kind of quarrel between Ross and Gutierrez, and that was the reason that Excellent Adventures had stopped filming, but Mike dispelled that myth, saying he and his Cross Counter partner were on great terms still.

"I'll always see [Gootecks] as a brother," said Ross, and he added that the two of them have never been on bad terms, dismissing the various rumors that there was a rift.

On the subject of if he'd consider being a sponsored player again, as he was last with CompLexity/Cross Counter, Ross said he's talking to a company about potentially being picked up, but couldn't elaborate on who they were, yet. He said it wasn't 100%, but if it came to fruition you'd see an announcement.

This is just part 1 of our interview with Ross, part 2 will be coming soon, and it'll delve into subjects like E Honda's ranking in the Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 tier list, buffs he'd like to see in USF4 and a good bit more.

You can read part 2 of this interview here.

If you'd like to stay up to to date with the latest happenings with Mike Ross, make sure you follow him on Twitter.

Comments

bagel_bytez said on October 5, 2013 at 8:45 p.m.

Yeah mike ross!!! You better get some excellent adventures. If it ain't gootecks then it should be mike and zhi

kac1010 said on October 5, 2013 at 8:47 p.m.

I can see it now...
The Excellent Adventures of Mike Ross and Zhi.

caruga said on October 5, 2013 at 8:48 p.m.

This seems more like excerpts from an interview rather than an interview.

wallie said on October 5, 2013 at 8:52 p.m.

I see MCZ picking him up. Mike and Zhi doing excellent adventures, the internet could not handle that. They would have to shut down youtube.

Bowie said on October 5, 2013 at 8:52 p.m.

Mike Ross is the chosen one.

Make no mistake, Mike´s by far the most loved and charismatic player in the history of Street Fighter.

Bow to Mike.

aridarron said on October 5, 2013 at 8:59 p.m.

There definitely need to bring back cross counter when USF4 drops,
Yeah Mike and Zhi would be explosive on screen together.

Emp_tri_force said on October 5, 2013 at 9:02 p.m.

Mike "IM SMART" Ross and Zhi

zUkUu said on October 5, 2013 at 9:02 p.m.

You have a typo there, Catalyst. You forgot "the messiah". :p

SHAZAMforInjustice said on October 5, 2013 at 9:04 p.m.

Yeah I would love to see a return of Excellent Adventures

SummerUndercover said on October 5, 2013 at 9:08 p.m.

Please don't get my hopes up for nothing! Excellent Adventures-chan PLS

Mike said on October 5, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

This is the best news of the internet EVER.

Esquilax said on October 5, 2013 at 9:10 p.m.

#DABEST

ReddChief said on October 5, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

Yes please Excellent Adventures bring it back NO Zhi it wouldn't be the same without Gootecks we need that magic

DrDevice said on October 5, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

I wish Combofiend could do EA again with Mike, too hilarious.

sarif2soon said on October 5, 2013 at 9:16 p.m.

he didn't pick honda because of his big breasts?

Abbadon36 said on October 5, 2013 at 9:17 p.m.

If it happens I will watch.

JumpMan33 said on October 5, 2013 at 9:28 p.m.

"I needed to do that move" I read this in mike ross' voice and loled pretty hard haha.

AriesWarlock said on October 5, 2013 at 9:36 p.m.

I think it's time for a Gootecks and Mike Ross reunion... on Cross Counter!

DiEnd said on October 5, 2013 at 9:43 p.m.

Save us Mike Ross

EnsignHiro said on October 5, 2013 at 9:50 p.m.

Get on it now! Never allowed to not do those funny videos again.

chickenlegs90 said on October 5, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Once Gootecks figures out how to sell Excellent Adventures on DVD they'll be back #Kappa

Ginta36 said on October 5, 2013 at 9:56 p.m.

Great! Also looking forward to Excellent Adventures with Laugh and Infiltration.

Turbojacke said on October 5, 2013 at 10:16 p.m.

where is the interview??

..two questions is not an interview. thx anyway.

ineedbackup said on October 5, 2013 at 10:21 p.m.

zhi is mad annoying

Spinkster said on October 5, 2013 at 10:23 p.m.

Please Mike get back to making videos I need my fix.

Spaghetti_Time said on October 5, 2013 at 10:28 p.m.

How many, then? 3?

keefpadthai said on October 5, 2013 at 10:34 p.m.

Mike Ross & Gootecks!?!? They're one of the main reasons why I checked Eventhubs...it was b'cuz of the vids man. I miss Excellent Adventures!!!

Gotomaster said on October 5, 2013 at 10:50 p.m.

@5 I think that spot goes to Daigo, but Mike is definitely the most liked american Fg player.

ArcadeRobot said on October 5, 2013 at 11:19 p.m.

I'd like to see Excellent Adventures come back when ULTRA Street Fight IV come out XD

GirlsOfGaming said on October 5, 2013 at 11:54 p.m.

i never knew he wasnt sponsored...that mightve been before i knew about tournaments and knew who this infamous guy actually was but i would like to see the show again as well!

irrenmann said on October 6, 2013 at midnight

Excellent Adventures was a huge community builder for Capcom fighting games (though at its best with the SFIV series).

I'd like to see it brought back, and I am sure it has enough of a following for someone to find a way to make it financially worthwhile to do so.

Darc_Requiem said on October 6, 2013 at 12:03 a.m.

If Zhi and Mike did Excellent Adventures they'd have to add a "So Offensive" count at the bottom right corner of the vids. Kinda of like DBZ Abridged's "Krillin Owned" counter.

MonkeyCha0s said on October 6, 2013 at 12:20 a.m.

i always thought Mike was good with any co-host. Gootecks by himself though is hard to watch. thats pretty much what Gooplays are and its hard to watch him struggle with every character that isnt his main or just lose for whatever other reason. i personally cant get into that but with Mike Ross finally back by his side it'll be awesome.

sergio_reyes_ said on October 6, 2013 at 1 a.m.

thanks for your interview mike ross

HADdaHUSTLA said on October 6, 2013 at 2:38 a.m.

I haven't watched Cross Counter internet videos since Mike Ross parted ways with him. (or whatever happened) He was the comic relief Gootecks needed. He's my favorite Street Fighter player/personality.

I wish somebody would pick him up and gave him his own show. Let us let Cross Counter know how much we really care by trending #BringBackMike on twitter.

Schwoi said on October 6, 2013 at 3 a.m.

Excellent adventures was easily the best thing the internet had to offer

ShadowGeno said on October 6, 2013 at 4:53 a.m.

Dat Hundred Hand Heritage.

Neclord said on October 6, 2013 at 5:49 a.m.

Please no Zhi, he is so annyoing.

Mike Ross and Gootecks pls or Combofiend.

Tenchi_Sokaigen said on October 6, 2013 at 6:14 a.m.

Madcatz should host an Excellent adventures kind of show, Just like the IPL-fighting/neighborhood stuff, but without the bankrupt part.

r0my5 said on October 6, 2013 at 6:44 a.m.

Was expecting to read he picked Honda for his big boobs like Luffy did with Rose.

MajinTenshinhan said on October 6, 2013 at 6:46 a.m.

Hah, his reason to pick Honda may be the best thing I've ever heard. Love your play, Mike! Looking forward to seeing you potentially get sponsored :D

Ixion said on October 6, 2013 at 7 a.m.

Excellent Adventures with Mike 'Mike Ross' Ross and Zhi 'Zhieep' would definitely be a godlike combo. Hope they do it.

Although I would miss all the talk about meter, and all the "I'm sorry guys..."

Shinkutatsumaki said on October 6, 2013 at 7:12 a.m.

Mike Ross is the best! Fingers crossed. :D

Aluppoj said on October 6, 2013 at 7:22 a.m.

Breaking News:

#34 Sergio_Reyes posted a comment that MADE SENSE!!!!

Aluppoj said on October 6, 2013 at 7:25 a.m.

The first character I ever beat SF2 arcade with was Honda. I picked him because the computer wouldn't block Headbutt Spam lol.

A quarter lasted longer with Honda :)

disp said on October 6, 2013 at 7:37 a.m.

There's no Excellent Adventures because of the Cease and Desist from Capcom, I thought we knew this atleast for a year.

DarknessFallz said on October 6, 2013 at 7:39 a.m.

Neo Excellent Adventures starring Combofiend and Zhi

SirRetro08 said on October 6, 2013 at 8:04 a.m.

Mike "EA" Ross

Super_Honda said on October 6, 2013 at 8:24 a.m.

I also chose E Honda because of his hundred hand slap, mainly of his high damage output in SF2 series. That was over 10 years ago and since then, he's still my main SF character, but I also play with other characters every now and then. Picking Honda in SF2 for arcade was easy: headbutt spam does the trick. But at high level, Honda is hard to play with, especially against Ryu, Ken and Dee Jay. Takes a lot of patience and effort to play with Honda effectively. As for excellent adventures, I honestly want to see them play SFxT because I seen SSF4 so many times now and I would only watch that at high level, not watching Gootecks and Mike Ross just messing around in SSF4. It gets boring for me. SFxT is still relatively new compared to SSF4.

kinoslayer said on October 6, 2013 at 8:42 a.m.

I think most of you didnt see the "stay tuned for part 2" part of the interview

Hadouken_Os said on October 6, 2013 at 8:53 a.m.

I believe. Come back, Mike 'Mike Ross' Ross :(

ExcellentYong said on October 6, 2013 at 9:09 a.m.

Gee Whiz.

TheTHCGamer said on October 6, 2013 at 9:16 a.m.

@38 Where have you been? Combofiend wont have time since he's been working for CAPCOM for a while now and there are worse commentators than Zhi. Also as much as I use to watch EA the show did start to get a little stale hopefully they'll start playing other fighting games more heavily that aren't CAPCOM fighters. Don't get me wrong I love SFIV but a better variety of fighting games will keep the show fresh.

Aluppoj said on October 6, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.

That is completely incorrect.

Imonk036 said on October 6, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.

Those two guys are the reason why I started to seriously invest time in my Youtube channel. I love the classic episodes when Mike got bodied repeatedly online & against Combofiend. He would scream, "I'm so Godlike", then get bodied again. Gootecks & Ross was the best.

SlamJam said on October 6, 2013 at 10:07 a.m.

What's "baseball"? Some kind of indie game I haven't heard of?

ExcellentYong said on October 6, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.

Bring back Gootecks X Miguel Percy Rossington in SFXT!

ec0ec0 said on October 6, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

mike and zhi should comentate every tournament. Well, evo is for seth, obviously.

RedRapperSux said on October 6, 2013 at 10:58 a.m.

Excellent Adventures was cool and I'd like to see it come back but I don't think it would be nearly as popular.

mauldie said on October 6, 2013 at 11 a.m.

@46 im pretty sure the cease and desist was for the tokido video because of a deal capcom had with Brady guides (or whatever) not because of excellent adventures.

I'd love to see some new episodes though.

applesandwieners said on October 6, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

Aluppoj said on October 6, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

Correct.

MonkeyCha0s said on October 6, 2013 at 11:35 a.m.

lmao @ Aluppoj thats exactly why I gave #34 an Up Vote last night. definitely a historic moment for the ”fan club”.

Raiden365 said on October 6, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

Gootecks has already been testing the waters on his channel with some new dudes. They're cool, but I'm pretty sure people want Gootecks and Mike Ross back. The question is, should they make the show now, or after USF4 releases?

Gurpwnder said on October 6, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

Oh man, I've been waiting so long for the return of Mike Ross...

Excellent Adventures was the hypest sh!t, even Mike Ross' neighbourhood was awesome too.

Hopefully we can get more interesting guests on the show as well. Mike + Combofiend and Mike + FlashMetroid were so hilarious.

crewdreary said on October 6, 2013 at 1:31 p.m.

Mike "Mike 'Mike Ross' Ross" Ross

Tainoaldo174 said on October 6, 2013 at 1:46 p.m.

Watching Excellent Adventures is what initially introduced me to the importance of user-generated content and subscription. It kinda redefined television for me, no troll. Please bring it back, great show and very entertaining.

ScrubStep said on October 6, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

KevinTurtle/\PogChamp

thepauljones said on October 7, 2013 at 3:42 a.m.

Don't tease me Miguel....

MCZ_Ryu said on October 7, 2013 at 7:17 a.m.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I read that news title...Excellent Adventures is probably the most beloved series in the FGC. Sometimes I re-watch the old ones to help me remember the good days :(

theramin said on October 7, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.

"I needed to do that move"
That's me with Rose's Soul Reflect.