Street Fighter artwork shows what could be the 5th Ultra Street Fighter 4 character, possibly Retsu

Posted by DreamKing23
November 28, 2013 at 4:49 p.m. PST
An image is circulating on Twitter today that very well may have showed everyone who the 5th Ultra Street Fighter 4 characters is, roughly a year ago. This piece of Street Fighter artwork comes from the SF 25th anniversary artbook, looks to be by Shinkiro, and features some of the characters included on the USF4 roster. We see that among some of the original playable fighters, new additions like Elena, and Hugo are also in the bunch.

What's most important about this image is that there seems to be a brand new face sitting between Ryu, and Rose, which could be the 5th and final character set to be added to Ultra Street Fighter 4. Some feel this may be Retsu, who made an appearance in the original Street Fighter title, but was not playable.

Note: This is in no way an official confirmation, but is definitely interesting to see a different face among the Ultra Street Fighter 4 cast.

Click image for larger version

This image comes from a Twitter user that wrote a message in Japanese. Below is the English translation, and you can find the original tweet, and a bit more after the jump.

Looking at the artbook cover for Street Fighter's 25th anniversary, you can clearly see Hugo and Elena who are joining Ultra Street Fighter 4, but you can also see Retsu... It can't be, right? Nah, no way.

This is all speculation, but why a character who looks like Retsu sits along side characters strictly in Ultra Street Fighter 4 is definitely cause for suspicion.

Did Capcom reveal their hand long ago, and did we all just not realize it? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Thanks to Jason24cf for the tip.

Comments

DannyBoyPERU said on November 28, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

Yes !!!! It's coming !!!

wonzan said on November 28, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

If he is the new character......I'm disappointed. =[

jaycee00 said on November 28, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

very very very disappointed...

ryuhayabusa13 said on November 28, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

Retsu? Noooo!!! Was hoping for gouken's daughter, but oh well :/

sickyut said on November 28, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

wow this is gud to know

Birger said on November 28, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.

Cool!!! But wasn't it supposed to be someone who was making their fightinggame debut?

SamuraiGai said on November 28, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.

goutetsu or retsu is coming...

Hypermarth said on November 28, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.

I am ok with more badass old men.

Honestly this is a lot better than a Cameo character... I am SOOOO glad they didn't do that lol

Hypermarth said on November 28, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

He wasn't playable before, that might be what they meant.

rikal1 said on November 28, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

Wasn't he in the first sf? I'm confused I thought they said someone who hasn't been in a fighting game before

Rahavic said on November 28, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

They just gave Sagat his eye back.

NyuBomber said on November 28, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

Retsu is a red herring.

Chun-Li's taint is the 5th character.

Sage_Liebert said on November 28, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

awesome. He'll probably fight like karin.

RW said on November 28, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

wtf that's basically the umvc3 cover

also lol @12 hahahahahahahhahaaha dying

David_I said on November 28, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

Um. Didn't this image appeared in another Eventhubs article from last year? lol

Uroboros said on November 28, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

Do we know if this artwork is official artwork?

Chameleonice said on November 28, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

Ya know... Maybe that's supposed to be Seth if he were human? Though it looks just like Retsu, so I'm guessing not :P If this is number 5, that would be interesting indeed. And the hints would be technically correct, as the original Street Fighter was called something else at the very beginning, if I remember correctly. Like Fighting Street or something.

Rahavic said on November 28, 2013 at 4:58 p.m.

Also, Chun's pose is the most important thing here.

ArturoA9790 said on November 28, 2013 at 4:58 p.m.

I figure if it would be Retsu they would show him with his ninja gear on. Maybe him or Goutetsu but I'm pretty sure Goutetsu has a beard.

ivan_blues said on November 28, 2013 at 5 p.m.

Whoa looks like you're right, now everyone calm down!

Hexelf said on November 28, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

Ugh

Vexel said on November 28, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

More people need to see this.

False alarm.

Vain said on November 28, 2013 at 5:02 p.m.

Not bad Capcom, not bad :).

NyuBomber said on November 28, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

Like, upvote, Thumbs Up, retweet, whatever needs to be done to get this message out.

Luna_Post said on November 28, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

hursh said on November 28, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

if their making us wait this long for a SF1 character that nobody remembers/cares about then im disappointed, especially when the new character was making their "fighing game debut."

Aluppoj said on November 28, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

Retsu would be awesome! And they saved the space right next to Ryu for him!!!!! Ryu loves Retsu!!!!!

Great choice....... But he's been in a fighting game before. Wasn't that one of the clues? Fighting game debute right?

Hypermarth said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Yeah... might as well take this article down if this is an old image.... GEEZE C'mon guys...

ZaFuuru said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

the first SF is not a fighting game, there is no multiplayer

N0_0NE_SPECIAL said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

If its retsu I am playing Him.

PrinceNamor said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Yeah, that's probably the most relevant detail here. This artwork is from waaaaaay before Ultra was even remotely conceived, so while Retsu could still be the 5th character, it's just a coincidence and couldn't have anything to do with this piece.

cantplaywontplay said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Mike_layZee said on November 28, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

UncleBibby said on November 28, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

i heard that Retsu used to be sorta like Makoto. if Retsu ends up being a harder-hitting makoto clone (like ganondorf is a hardhitting clone of captain falcon in smash bros) then i will be very happy...!!!

siegfried1 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

look like retsu
I'm disappointed

Aluppoj said on November 28, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

You should be respectful. He's a great classic character. And a great choice for the game.

r0my5 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

That's probably just sagat without his eyepatch. Many of the faces in the picture look totally different than they do elsewhere

tidestick said on November 28, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

Lol, it sure did. People are gonna go banannas with this though Kappa

brandaman69 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

that might be Dan's dad

Chameleonice said on November 28, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

Actually, there's 1v1 versus mode in the game :) It's the only way to see Ken. So I think it still counts!

NyuBomber said on November 28, 2013 at 5:08 p.m.

It does count.

And since Ken is an exact clone of Ryu, SF1 is the most balanced fighting game ever. :D

Aluppoj said on November 28, 2013 at 5:08 p.m.

What the heII are you talking about?

DaveNotti said on November 28, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

As a side note, I just want to say that this artist's work is INCREDIBLE. I love everything this guy puts his hands on in terms of game art.

Is he the same person behind the UMVC3 alternate cover [with the more realistic looking Hawkeye?]

As for the reveal: meh…

Existent said on November 28, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

Rumor deconfirmed. Let's pack it up.

Zenfluence said on November 28, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.

Yeaa I dont think its Retsu....BUT if somehow he appeared id like it. I always wanted a quicker grappler in the vein of non Euro Abel...an Aikido type representative in SF is far over due imo (which is what he resembles to me).

I just hope it turns out to be someone with some semblance of an actual (new style...1. NO more Shoto derivatives 2. NO more mystical/demon characters 3.NO more HakanaDanaBlanka comic relief.

Marsh said on November 28, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

LMAO

Yall thought capcom would approve a new cover of chun spread eagle with the entire cast stoically looking onward? cmon now

David_I said on November 28, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.

A Capcom rep did said back in July that the 5th is new to the SF universe, and has never been in a fighting game before.

Retsu isn't the one. Use your head, people. lol.

ivan_blues said on November 28, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

DreamKing needs to see this comment ASAP

swordsman09 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

I think they meant as a playable character so that means it's still possible that he's in.

But to a newbie, how will he play? I know absolutely nothing about this guy at all.

cantplaywontplay said on November 28, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

Doctrine_Dark said on November 28, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

Yep. That's Shinkiro.

Seeing Shinkiro's SF4 artwork takes me back to the days of the MVC3 silhouettes, where everyone was guessing who the characters were. Awesome times. But yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing Retsu.

theonlydalauansparrow said on November 28, 2013 at 5:29 p.m.

I'm just enjoying the snk art on the street fighter 4 cast. Anyone else?

kac1010 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

It could very well be Retsu in USFIV, seeing how Hugo and Elena are on this poster as well, and that this image came up a while ago.

applesandwieners said on November 28, 2013 at 5:31 p.m.

DictatorBoot said on November 28, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

Wow, SNK artist makes the SF4 girls actually good looking! GG KOF

SuperTurboFinisher said on November 28, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

I'm so happy SFIV is still going strong. Will game ever die? I hope not.

Quakeulf said on November 28, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

I came here to type the same. That image has been circulating on the internet for a long time.

blaziner said on November 28, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

Yoshinori Ono just tweeted

"the fifth character is planned to be your mom"

skumz88 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

This was already discovered like two months ago. I think he is the 5th character.

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

HOLY SNEEZING FART MONKEY WHA-

(Reads comments)

Curse you Eventhubs ;-;

Though that'd be pretty boss.

mrdrofficer said on November 28, 2013 at 5:47 p.m.

Sheng Long = Gouken

Retsu = Retsu? or maybe ...Sheng Long?

My point is that the name of this character may change from earlier incarnations, and I hope it's Sheng Long. What other "new" character that's never been playable would make people flip out? Even though it may be Retsu. I just hope they call him Sheng Long... Do you get my drift?

Ravellino said on November 28, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

Retsu NOOOO

Landshark said on November 28, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

Sorry (actually not sorry) but that is simply a badly rendered Sagat. Occasionally artists who are not familiar with drawing a character will draw them in a way that is off model and confusing for people familiar with the character.

darkblade13 said on November 28, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

People need to see this because this is not an official art by Capcom because that is from a year ago. This artwork was done way before USF4 was announced.

Shame on Eventhubs for posting such garbage articles.

Hotdiddykong said on November 28, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

Thought it was Sagat since he's not in the artwork.

Neat

jme said on November 28, 2013 at 5:52 p.m.

It's done in the art style as those vs games like cvs2 and marvel 3.

Doctrine_Dark said on November 28, 2013 at 5:52 p.m.

Shinkiro's drawn Sagat plenty of times, so he wouldn't be unfamiliar with him. It's Retsu. Just look at the bushy eyebrows

Aluppoj said on November 28, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

Sorry (actually not sorry), you know jack $hit about SF. Sagat with big bushy eyebrows, and no eyepatch.

That's Retsu.

TorTorVega said on November 28, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

I'm going to have to agree with #63

Look at some of the other characters and how different they look from their normal styles. Abel, Bison, Cody, Ken, Guile, Cammy (Fei Viper, seriously C.Viper with dat Fei Long face.), Gen all look vastly different from how they're normally drawn. I could definitely see that being Sagat as drawn in that artist's style.

sweetmonkeylove said on November 28, 2013 at 5:55 p.m.

Shinkiro is awesome.

Darc_Requiem said on November 28, 2013 at 5:57 p.m.

It's not Retsu. Sorry this is old art work and he was in SF1.

shaosam said on November 28, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

Seriously? Another old Japanese karate guy? How about a female grappler? Speedy like Elf but not as gimmicky and useless.

Nukka said on November 28, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

I'd be ok with this, Retsu is better than any of the other 4 announced characters..

Landshark said on November 28, 2013 at 5:59 p.m.

Hmm. You may be on to something, but I still think it could be a problem with this artist. Will consider.

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

Except Shenkiro has drawn Sagat before, for CvS and CvS2 to be exact. And he looks TOTALLY different than Retsu does in this image.

Neobrown said on November 28, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

I love how last year absolutely no one commented on this out of place character xD. Nice detective work btw

TorTorVega said on November 28, 2013 at 6:12 p.m.

Because artists never try new things. Ever. Under any circumstances. If the other characters looked as they do in every other drawing, that would be one thing, but most of the cast in that drawing looks different from normal. I'm not saying that it IS Sagat, but I'm not ready to assume it's the 5th character, especially considering how old the image is.

MUTILUX said on November 28, 2013 at 6:13 p.m.

Goutetsu. Nailed it.

GomuJonny said on November 28, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

Jason24cf submitted this tip? The other day he said that the fifth character is female, why would he "knowingly" submit a tip he knew to be false? Hmmmm...

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:16 p.m.

I'm not even speculating this image has anything to do with USF4 other than irony that the artist drew the characters on here.

Especially since everywhere I look I can't find clarification on if first fighting game appearance means first appearance in a game itself through being playable, fightable, or even if they appeared in a game. That is, really, far too vague, and may be the only way to find out the 5th character.

jme said on November 28, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

I always thought Retsu would play similar to Lei Fei from CVirtua Fighter, since they are both monks.

Mark_Bruder said on November 28, 2013 at 6:19 p.m.

The first Street Fighter wasn't a fighting game. No multiplayer = no fighting game.

Mark_Bruder said on November 28, 2013 at 6:21 p.m.

But it's not Sagat. Deal with it.

Landshark said on November 28, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

I also find it very unlikely that Capcom would have had something like this (Retsu) planned in advance for Ultra and let it slip this early as well. Combine this with their announcement of the 5th character never being in street fighter before and I find it difficult to believe that Retsu is the 5th character.

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:25 p.m.

Except you could do multiplay.

Ryu vs Ken. You did know Ken was from SF1, right?

madsoul242 said on November 28, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Chun ya moms taught you better....or not

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Ooooo! Hey! Abel and Geese Howard look familiar, that's interesting.

Cemantics said on November 28, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Do people not know how to read?

It was clearly said that the character had no involvement in fighting games/Street Fighter. To that matter.

Retsu was in the original Street Fighter. One can conclude......that he won't be the new character.

Unless that was a huge Capcom troll/lie - Then come on guys, don't be brain-dead.

SquallSaga said on November 28, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Hum, I don't understand. The article said that it was from the 25th anniversary art book from one year ago, and that the image was circulating on internet for one year. They just said that no one noticed this image, where all of the cast of Ultra, except Retsu, is in it. So I don't understand why they should change the article :P.

But, nonetheless, the new charcater is a Doll, that you can also see in the article from one year ago btw ;)

ededol2 said on November 28, 2013 at 6:29 p.m.

that eventhubs article is from December 2012- USF4 was announced in July 2012 and im positive the 5th character was decided by capcom way before July too.

they definitely had USF4 artwork made by then so this could easily be legit.

From where Im standing, Retsu is the 5th character. Why else would he just randomly be in a poster with the USF4 cast when he hasnt been a prominent character past SF1?

And there is NO CHANCE that is Sagat. Sagat doesnt have pupils, eyebrows, or two eyes.

Retsu is the fifth bald SF4 character btw... Seth/Gouken/Sagat/Dhalsim/Retsu

Landshark said on November 28, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

This artists "super realistic, yet anime" style messes with how certain characters are portrayed. Abel totally looks like he possessed by the spirit of Geese Howard. Yes I know he worked on drawing SNK characters in the past, just fyi in advance, I'm just being flippant, like you most likely are.

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

Quite honestly (I'm not disagreeing with you. Honestly, Retsu has a bigger chance than my own personal hope of Victor Ortega. ;-; ), the only way Retsu could even get in is if they meant by no appearances was intended to be no playable appearances. That whole thing is vague, the no appearances in fighting games. By that standard, no Tom, no Dorai, and no Dolls.

And I think the popular rumor is a Doll.

Lavama said on November 28, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

I know, it's just flipping cool. I love this guys artwork.

jme said on November 28, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

I'm gonna still stick with my original theory of the 5th characters name starts with the letter "Y" so that the 5 characters spell out the word "HYPER"

Hugo
Y____
Poison
Elena
Rolento

FightDirty said on November 28, 2013 at 6:39 p.m.

Chun Li's taint - LOL!

Seriously, I couldn't care less about the new character. Looking at that photo all I can think about is how, umm, errrr ...... flexible Chunny is.

ededol2 said on November 28, 2013 at 6:40 p.m.

can someone please link me to the exact article or interview where they said the 5th character was never in a fighting game?

some people quote it as "never been in a street fighter game/never been in a fighting/game/never been playable in a street fighter game/never been playable in a fighting game/completely new to street fighter/making their fighting game debut"

so what the hell was said EXACTLY? because people seem to be picking whatever conveniently fits their wish for a 5th character.

if it was something vague like "making thier fighting game debut" then Retsu could easily count because that is vague enough to mean first playable appearnce.

again, where is the exact quote????

slappy said on November 28, 2013 at 6:40 p.m.

Umm, that's not a stylistic pic of Sagat, sf1 WAS a multi player fighting game, and retsu never had "ninja gear" you're thinking of geki. So many dumb comments...

Catalyst said on November 28, 2013 at 6:44 p.m.

I didn't speak with DreamKing before this went up, so I cannot speak to his reasoning, but I will list the following things.

I'd definitely label this as "inconclusive, but suspicious" though.

1. The fact the USF4 characters are shown here is... interesting. I don't see the reason these particular characters would be put together in a piece of artwork without some reason, especially by Shinkiro.

2. Shinkiro is an accomplished artist, and I imagine for him to do work, it costs a reasonable amount of money. Again, why this piece would even exist at all if it weren't for something gives me pause. Maybe Capcom specifically commissioned it for the 25th anniversary *shrug* That seems a bit elaborate considering who they're showing (USF4's cast) and who did the piece (Shinkiro). Maybe I'm wrong, though.

3. Why is Retsu or whomever even in this to begin with? He's surrounded by very well known faces in the SF series, so why include a random character and display him so prominently? Especially someone from SF1. I mean, it's not like we're also seeing Eagle, Joe, etc.

4. We say in the story it's a year old, and people in the comments have said as much too. But we know that games aren't created over night, and in an interview a ways back, Seth Killian said he specifically did NOT want to know who the 5th character was.

5. Seth left Capcom in June 2012. It wouldn't shock me if Capcom was in the planning stages for USF4 back then. These games take AWHILE guys, they don't happen overnight.

Do all of these pieces point to this artwork being a leak and 100% the truth? No, but there's definite cause for suspicion.

I don't think we can say one way or the other that this artwork is or isn't valid, as such, I feel the story holds up.

OhYouDontSayThat said on November 28, 2013 at 6:46 p.m.

might as well put in Poopman.

also Abel looks sick in that pic

Topaz said on November 28, 2013 at 6:47 p.m.

Another muscley dude instead of the female character we were expecting? -_-

Load more comments