Ultra Street Fighter 4: Delayed wakeup mechanic confirmed, Japanese location tests announced

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • November 15, 2013 at 8:19 a.m. PST

In the latest post over at Capcom's Saikyo blog, Ultra Street Fighter 4 producer Tomoaki Ayano announced that location tests for Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be held in Japan between November 21st and November 24th, and where they will be held.

However, this wasn't all he said. He also noted that besides the already explained Red Focus and Double Ultra mechanics, yet another new mechanic that was previously rumoured is in place for this new version, namely a delayed wakeup mechanic.

Hit the jump to see EventHubs' very own MajinTenshinhan's translation of Ayano's delayed wakeup statement, as well as where Japan's location tests will be held.

Below, you'll find Ayano's translated statement.

We also have a third new battle system — Delay Standing... For you to experience!

Delay Standing allows you to alter the timing of your wakeup, making your rise take a bit longer than usual. With this, you can increase your options against opponents with strong okizeme!

Please come by and try it out!

Besides this, people in Japan will be able to try the game out between November 22nd and November 25th at the following locations:

Tokyo Taito Station, Shinjuku South Game World
Osaka Taito Station, Osaka City Nipponbashi
Nagoya Taito Station, Oosu
Fukuoka Taito Station, Fukuoka Tenjin
Sendai Taito Station, Sendai Chris Road
Sapporo Taito Station, Sapporo Tanuki Kouji

What are your thoughts on this new mechanic? Do you think it will help the new iteration of the game, or hinder it? Let us know in the comments.

Thanks to user szakigeri for sending this in.

Source: Capcom Saikyo Blog.

Comments

Kawalorn said on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 a.m.

How come all these mechanics got leaked but the 5th character didn't. -_- Since I'm not really into SF anymore I just wanna know who is that character so I can start laughing. Either because it's awesome or just plain stupid/ridiculous/"why not Alex/Go/Goutetsu/Karin/Ingrid/Q/Winnie the Pooh". Probably second cause I don't have that much faith in Capcom anymore.

XeroDgX said on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 a.m.

so, the 3 rumours were true o.O......but guess this is the mechanich we need for the "hard blockeables"

Gam3B0y said on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 a.m.

NOOOOO :'(

Plasma3D said on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 a.m.

BS

jaysenedwinward said on November 15, 2013 at 6:42 a.m.

This, my friends, is the REAL game changer. The other two mechanics are fluff in comparison.

SsjBizzle said on November 15, 2013 at 6:42 a.m.

Goodbye to a legit HKD game. Hello air and ground ultra's.

New stuff none the less, should change the game dramatically

soulthrow said on November 15, 2013 at 6:42 a.m.

RIP grapplers!

chickenlegs90 said on November 15, 2013 at 6:42 a.m.

RIP vortex.

bcyde said on November 15, 2013 at 6:43 a.m.

Will reserve judgement until after the location tests. Initial thoughts are that if they've removed unblockables, I'm not sure why this is necessary.

Taizuku said on November 15, 2013 at 6:43 a.m.

RIP Akuma/Cammy players. Glad I'm not one of you. Hello Poison.

Sasuga said on November 15, 2013 at 6:43 a.m.

This does not apply to untechable knockdowns?

sarif2soon said on November 15, 2013 at 6:44 a.m.

AAH! Just sent news about delayed wake-up being confirmed (but from Zhi).
Check out Zhi's Twitter page for other stuff:

"Double W ultra combo will only do 60% at the time of the Beta test"

"[Beta test] Red focus, if ex canceled from a move will crumple even on level one."

"There are 3 different levels of Red Focus. It can take up to double digit hits."

"Red focus was suggested during AE, and Capcom thought it was a cool idea and implemented it for Ultra."

"You can now combo red focus cancel into crumple. Ex. Ryu st. hp -> cancel red focus level 1 (crumple) -> ultra = combo."

"The command for red focus is (MK+MP+any other attack button). Costs 2 meters"

"I can we can all say goodbye to 4 button throw tech +focus, now that red focus will eat up that command. Adieu, secret Japanese tech!"

AND MORE!

Topaz said on November 15, 2013 at 6:45 a.m.

Surely there can be no downside to this? Will the naysayers come around now?

NyuBomber said on November 15, 2013 at 6:46 a.m.

Because the 5th character...IS YOU.

Getdownbrown83 said on November 15, 2013 at 6:47 a.m.

there is quite a bit going on in this game now to think about.

Necreon said on November 15, 2013 at 6:48 a.m.

As a Vega player, without any decent antiair against crossups and the fact that the game is pretty much over after the first knockdown (if the opponent knows what to do), I more than welcome this.

DannyBoyPERU said on November 15, 2013 at 6:48 a.m.

Ahahaha I told ya

x0n said on November 15, 2013 at 6:54 a.m.

Unless the translation is suspect, it implies that hard knockdowns are still unchanged (they say "regular wake-up.") So, since regular wake up already has two options - quick rise or don't - this seems to imply that the delay stand will be variable, meaning you choose the precise delay, otherwise what does it mean? Three options? quick, normal, slow? I'm not sure that's such a "game changer."

I really want to believe that hard knockdowns are still constant time wake up, or else half the okizeme game goes down the toilet. No more meaties and counter hit setups on wakeup? Nahhhhh. That would be retarded.

Gam3B0y said on November 15, 2013 at 6:54 a.m.

now this game will get way slower :/
this is my #1 game of this gen (and Dark Souls)
and I love Rushdown/Wortex :( AE worked well :E

bushin_dunks said on November 15, 2013 at 6:55 a.m.

This really opens up a new level. And was the rumor I was really hoping to be true.

Tryken said on November 15, 2013 at 6:55 a.m.

I wonder if this is going to apply to hard knockdowns, though. You always had the option to quick-rise on normal knockdown, but will sweeps still be a sure thing? That's what I'm interested to know, since Akuma and a lot of other characters get their mix-up or vortex started on a hard knockdown. As a Rose player, I welcome the change. No longer am I at the mercy of non-stop Cammy pressure that Rose can't deal with.

killerface said on November 15, 2013 at 6:55 a.m.

Strong poke characters with poor wake up options like boxer will benefit a lot from this mechanic.

Spabobin said on November 15, 2013 at 6:57 a.m.

Gam3B0y said on November 15, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

Cody will get higher in tier lists now D:
maybe I'll switch to him again :E but he's boring :/

MajinTenshinhan said on November 15, 2013 at 6:59 a.m.

Sorry, that wasn't the implication I was trying to make. Edited the translation.

MajinTenshinhan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:01 a.m.

CODY, BORING?!

You... YOU...

I'll just stay quiet so I don't get fired. >:c

zUkUu said on November 15, 2013 at 7:05 a.m.

Wth, red focus cancel will crumble on lvl 1? That gives practically EVERY character a free ultra combo... even grappler. >_>
Hope this isn't true. How much meter does RED Focus costs anyway? If red focus cancel still costs 2 meters, then normal fa cancel is pretty obsolete (unless you can't dash cancel red focus).

10lbstandard said on November 15, 2013 at 7:06 a.m.

sarif2soon said on November 15, 2013 at 7:07 a.m.

Yeah, 2 meters.

More from Zhi:

"There's a Saturn version of Final Fight revenge. You can find Poison's ultra from there."

"The normal attacks had to be adjusted from SFxT because footsies are very strong in that game so they are scaled down for Ultra."

"In particular, Rolento's normals had to be tweaked a lot because he had too many multi hit normal moves."

"Only 4 new characters will be playable at the location tests. Maybe the 5th character is birthday boy @JWonggg 生日快樂"

masang said on November 15, 2013 at 7:10 a.m.

must be a rough morning for me.

i first read this as just "Ultra Street Fighter 4 Delayed".

=O

Dtwizzy said on November 15, 2013 at 7:10 a.m.

Wash your mouth. Cody is the most baddass character in the game. He throws rocks and sand in a game where chucking plasma out of your hands is considered normal. Cody is bored by your lack of a challenge ! xD

I_Are_RaBBiT said on November 15, 2013 at 7:10 a.m.

IF this is true, this is gonna be seriously powerful! Crumple even on level one!?? So basically with this ANYONE can combo into their Ultra now??? What.... the.... frik!!!

Cyclops said on November 15, 2013 at 7:11 a.m.

I hope that the delayed wake up is only for soft knockdowns

jason24cf said on November 15, 2013 at 7:12 a.m.

Another rumor I reported, if you seen my interview with Ultra David, has been confirmed. I know who the 5th character is as well but I have been WARNED to not release that info. So USFIV is looking like a whole new game that will play nothign like its last version. I will have more info in a few weeks as I will get hands on time with USFIV at NEC in Dec.

TRNBardock10 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:15 a.m.

Damn all my characters are gonna be ass lol r.i.p. to ibuki cammy sakura abel.

Gam3B0y said on November 15, 2013 at 7:15 a.m.

))))
don't get me wrong..he's one of my favorites
but when I mained him I always got bored (I mained him IN vanilla AE)
rushdown/wortex is my favorite style and this addition is killing it D:

Topaz said on November 15, 2013 at 7:15 a.m.

It will take four meters to move cancel into Red Focus. Two for the cancel, two for the RF itself. If you want to burn a full meter just to land an ultra, go ahead.

Anyway, not sure how this will affect Makoto. As a "strong poke, poor defense" character, it should be good for her defensively, but it might also trip up her rushdown, which while not exactly a vortex, is certainly knockdown-mixup heavy.

nitrocan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:17 a.m.

No one saw this coming.

lord_robbyshin said on November 15, 2013 at 7:18 a.m.

I second that motion.

fohstick said on November 15, 2013 at 7:19 a.m.

good. i hate playing 50/50 games against vortexers

KeNnii said on November 15, 2013 at 7:19 a.m.

I hope this only applies for soft knockdown. If people make the effort to get a hard knockdown they should be rewarded with the advantage

mortal said on November 15, 2013 at 7:20 a.m.

where the hell did you see that :) ?
it's too cheap to be true lol

Mike said on November 15, 2013 at 7:20 a.m.

Why tease us?!

Temtt said on November 15, 2013 at 7:21 a.m.

"Double W ultra combo will only do 60% at the time of the Beta test"

Are you kidding me?! That can't be true...60% would be way too much!

caruga said on November 15, 2013 at 7:21 a.m.

This will slow the game down even more.

I wish they'd make resets out of focus crumple more viable.

sarif2soon said on November 15, 2013 at 7:23 a.m.

What about hints?
WHAT ABOUT HINTS?!?

GeneralSpecific said on November 15, 2013 at 7:25 a.m.

Sounds like Blanka and Honda are going to be extreme forces to be reckoned with in this new version!

Which doesn't bother me too much, at least those annoying insects Cammy, Akuma, Seth and Viper are now DONE. =]

Rose sounds like shes going to be pretty good too.

kuroi_aima said on November 15, 2013 at 7:25 a.m.

i'm a Vega user as well and even if like you i welcome this, it's gonna be harder to ex barcellona crossup now...

Mike_layZee said on November 15, 2013 at 7:27 a.m.

DiabloSangron said on November 15, 2013 at 7:27 a.m.

They are now catering to the tournament scene, so I doubt casual FGC members even care about red focus or even the delayed wake up mechanic. I am just happy that Ultra SF4 tournament streams will have crazier matches, that don't depend on vortex or unblockable options.

Dpendleton77 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

You play too much man. LMAO!!! Now you got me all curious. Dang it Jason.

Dravidian said on November 15, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

It's focus canceling, not focus dash cancelling....which would be pointless since it crumples at level one when regular red focus canceling a move.

Undead_Hayabusa said on November 15, 2013 at 7:30 a.m.

as a Guile player I welcome any help he can get,I too will try Cody now..

RainbowMika64 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:31 a.m.

I was wondering, what about putting Tech Flip? (like the one in Zero3 when you're Knock in the air and press Punchx3 for recovery.

shinra358 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.

Yo dawg, we heard you like waking up late. So we made you wake up late while you wake up late.

trinispartan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:33 a.m.

I welcome the changes to the rush down and vortex game but I hope they realize that this put zoning chars like ryu and guile in a stronger position. So I expect nerfs to their games as well.

I must say that the thought process should not be so easy for certain chars compared to others. Sounds to me like every system change is geared to Neffing the oki game while stupid brainless reversals and zoning will be rewarded again. I hope I am wrong.

Getdownbrown83 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:34 a.m.

since you cant tell us can you at least say if you think the character looks cool

trinispartan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:37 a.m.

I hope that chars that guile rapes get help too. And I play guile

UncleBibby said on November 15, 2013 at 7:38 a.m.

This is gonna make things harder for almost everybody. But probably not equally. In fact, i bet grapplers and mixup characters are going to have to be played completely differently. Although i suppose throws and sweeps are the main source of knockdown mixups and they will probably still be untechable. I don't know. It seems completely unnecessary considering they're ALSO getting rid of unblockables.

gammabolt17 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:39 a.m.

Awww man, this hurts me.

qOcOp said on November 15, 2013 at 7:39 a.m.

I, for one, welcome our new footsies overlords.

trinispartan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:41 a.m.

I can bet my nuts that if ryu stays the same with all these changes he will be top tier easily.

gammabolt17 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:41 a.m.

That sounds fvckin DEVASTATING

@Jason man you shouldn't have told us nothing if you can't/won't say anything. That's light trollin right there.

Dreamking23 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:42 a.m.

And now, two of my best characters are officially trash.

Abel's roll mixups? Nope. Won't work anymore.

Dudley's meaty, high/low mixups? Nope. Won't work anymore.

USF4 may become a "combo video only" game for me... Thank the gods that we got Killer Instinct next week!

Reality2k said on November 15, 2013 at 7:43 a.m.

Does anybody honestly believe this game will be balanced out of the gate with all these changes? Feels like a checkersboard just got tossed up in the air.

TheFeistyOne said on November 15, 2013 at 7:44 a.m.

basically everyone now has ryu's easy srk fadc ultra combo.. cost is the same (2 meters) but characters who have setups right now will always do more damage (srk does more damage than a lvl focus).

I think it's fine

disp said on November 15, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

USF4 - Revenge of the Charge Characters

Getdownbrown83 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

the thing that's sucks about all this is people are gonna be acting a fool about all these changes wanting nerfs, buffs and whatnot and this game is gnna have so much tech that is undiscovered before people start complaining before even discovering anything. look at oni. he was butt, then a good player used him now he is good. i am looking forward to getting ultra but i hate ridiculous amounts of changes all the time i just want the final version with no more tweaks. hopefully this is it. extra content im all for but all this buff nerf is ridiculous and has to stop sometime. ssf42012 was damn good and pretty balanced in the first plsce but all these people want this unicorn of a game this mythical game with absolute perfect balance. unicorns don't exist so people need to understand it will never be perfect. sorry for the rant.

zeronestor said on November 15, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

hahahahahah thanks capcom....

trinispartan said on November 15, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

As a gen main I now have no clue how to beat even the scrubbiest of guiles. I'm pretty sure that matchup is effed.

streetfighterjoe said on November 15, 2013 at 7:49 a.m.

bad news for cammy and akuma players

sylintasassyn said on November 15, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

I remember it being rumored that the damage after red focus is unscaled. If you can combo into red focus crumple with unscaled damage, then high damage characters will be able to potentially kill in two combos....not to mention the possibility of the opponent being stunned in this scenario. Lol

NotPoongko said on November 15, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

I like it. However, let the whining begin lol

BAP04 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:51 a.m.

lol vortex users will hate this and everyone else will either be indifferent or love this. It's something you can't judge until release. I honestly hate vortex as some characters like Cammy, Akuma, Seth,Ibuki etc. are ridiculously strong because of it and as a Ryu player that really sucks for me, so I welcome this change.

Miniabel said on November 15, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.

Thank you Capcom, Abel is dead....

Bigshel said on November 15, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.

lol.... two words... Red Focus. Actually four. Hakan's moveable red focus.

Green016 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.

They've just butchered an already decently balanced game. Well done.

TheFeistyOne said on November 15, 2013 at 7:53 a.m.

people need to stop thinking that USF4 will be just like AE12 just with red focus, two ultras and delayed wakeup .. there will be so much more stuff we have no clue about right now.

We should at least wait for the location tests and the aftermath of that ..

the red focus could still change and end up like:
costs 1 meter
can only absorb 3 hits
doesnt crumble until lv3

as far as i can see, nothing is set in stone... yet

xShonuffx said on November 15, 2013 at 7:53 a.m.

Im hearing some crazy rumor that its Gene from Godhand. I hope that's not true.

Temtt said on November 15, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

Nope! Akuma will remain a top tier character. Akuma doesn't rely on Vortex...he still has amazing footsies and zoning!

LeonX said on November 15, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

And the 5th character is?

Svuag said on November 15, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

I can't wait to Footsie my way out with Bison / Rolento

Techtun said on November 15, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

I could've sworn their first intention was to balance the game... now they're just adding more stuff and changing it completely which will disregard the "balance suggestions" that they took.

BeUnbound said on November 15, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.

Delayed wake ups will not get rid of meaties or mix-ups. What it will do is get rid of the guaranteed aspect of it, the "okay I did this I now must do that". It will take more reading of your opponent, more thought in how you approach offense.

Because I'm pretty sure if someone is just delaying their wake up every time in a knockdown situation you will still be able capitalize on it.

BAP04 said on November 15, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.

Oh no, we might even have to resort to..... *gasps*.... footsies!

GeneralSpecific said on November 15, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.

Ryu and Guile will NOT be nerfed.
These are overall system change mechanics.

The cheap unblockable and rushdown retard era is over.
As have many other eras come and gone in the past as well.

It's time to move on so that more worthy characters can shine.

PsychoCrusha said on November 15, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.

And finally, the last piece of the puzzle. Personally I think I'm ready for USF4 Footsie Edition. It's not like Bison had any oki to begin. Bring it on!

ZaFuuru said on November 15, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.

the game will be more boring and slow. Grapplers are basically dead if this mechanic affects command throws also

zUkUu said on November 15, 2013 at 7:57 a.m.

I don't like Red Focus at all. Should have opted for removal of unblockables and nothing else =/

Aqua said on November 15, 2013 at 7:57 a.m.

hard nerf for Rufus, Viper, Fuerte, Seth

soft nerf for low/mid tiers that relied on setups and wakeup pressure (Ken, Guy, Ibuki, Gen, grapplers..)

Sol_Goodguy said on November 15, 2013 at 7:58 a.m.

I don't see this as a huge deal seeing as on regular knockdown, you already have the option to either quick get up or regular wake up. We already have the ability to mess up oki setups! Delay wake up would only be a big deal if you are able to do it on hard knockdown.

Smorgasboard said on November 15, 2013 at 8 a.m.

Hey, I'll be in Osaka at that time. Maybe I should go check it out. Hehe.

RedRapperSux said on November 15, 2013 at 8:02 a.m.

This was the only change I wanted. Forget red focus. Forget 2 ultras. Forget 5 characters. Give us delayed wake up and Championship mode. And no complaining about delayed wake up please... Not like it won't stop someone from getting in your head and downloading you regardless, no matter what character..

Kwisatz_Haderach said on November 15, 2013 at 8:03 a.m.

Oh, please... KI is a joke. USF4 is the real deal.

dorayaki said on November 15, 2013 at 8:03 a.m.

If true about the lvl 1 crumple, they'll need to change that. This means an almost guaranteed win as soon as you have an ultra and two bars (and your opponent has less than 30%), cuz he wouldn't be able to touch a button, much less get close to you. Retarded.

Delayed wakeup whiners - you deal with it ALREADY with the regular wake ups.

sarif2soon said on November 15, 2013 at 8:04 a.m.

I like KI, but really, DreamKing?
Boo!

TheGodOfPez said on November 15, 2013 at 8:05 a.m.

Dhalsim mains, rejoice!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ZaFuuru said on November 15, 2013 at 8:08 a.m.

THAT is the point. If you are able to do it on hard knockdowns, the game is completely ruined. Let's take T. Hawk's LP Typhoon for example. It would become useless, it can't be. No way

franciscois said on November 15, 2013 at 8:14 a.m.

I'm pretty sure delayed wake up won't apply to untechable knockdown

mundaney said on November 15, 2013 at 8:15 a.m.

RIP Dudley :(
5th character is female presumably
Jason24cf still thinks he's e-famous
Time to throw them doukens
#usf4yall