Best Buy giving $20 in XBL currency to those who purchase Day One Gold membership for Xbox One, includes Shadow Jago

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • November 12, 2013 at 5 p.m. PST
Best Buy is currently running a deal in which they will give you $20 in Microsoft Xbox Live currency, when you purchase the Day One edition of Xbox Live Gold for the Xbox One. The Day One version is a 12-month subscription that will cost you $59.99 USD.

This offer is available both online and in-store, however, if you choose to pick this up at your local Best Buy, you can take it home right away. The receipt will contain a promo code that, when inputted, will add $20 to your Microsoft account for you to spend on Xbox Live content.

This money will work for Xbox 360 content, and -should- also be usable on Xbox One stuff, once the console is released. According to the store's flyer, this offer will last up until November 16th, so be sure to act fast.

Hit the jump to read on.

If this money does indeed work for Xbox One content, this means that by purchasing the Day One edition of Xbox Live Gold, (that which includes the exclusive Shadow Jago character in Killer Instinct), players can buy the Killer Instinct Combo Breaker pack at launch. This version of KI unlocks all 6 of the release day characters, the 2 post-launch fighters, Story Mode, and Arcade Mode (both of which will become available at the end of season 1.)

For a breakdown of the different Killer Instinct options you can purchase, check out the image below.

Click images for larger versions

If you're already getting your Xbox One console at launch, and plan to play online, you should definitely think about picking up a Day One edition of Xbox Live Gold from Best Buy soon. I was able to purchase one myself, and can confirm that the $20 promo offer is in full effect.

Big thanks to TheTHCGamer for contacting us with this information. Killer Instinct pricing breakdown courtesy of Xbox.com.

Comments

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

I already know what im spending my 20 dollar promo on (KI).

Onislayer said on November 12, 2013 at 5:14 p.m.

This is a nobrainer. Better take advantage.

hazelnut1112 said on November 12, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.

Shadow Jago? lol
Then again we have stuff like Evil Ryu and Oni. I really hope they can release this on 360 since it was originally going to be on 360 as well.

Xul said on November 12, 2013 at 5:33 p.m.

Existent said on November 12, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

Nah.

cadnexus said on November 12, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

they're NOT putting this on 360, so forget about it. all of those deals suck by the way, 6 to 8 characters is just a joke, 12 starting out is more respectable.

DunnDeal said on November 12, 2013 at 5:57 p.m.

Microsoft: "Here's $20 to spend to MULTIPLE items on XBL"

Gamer: "But the only thing I can buy for $20 is Killer Instinct"

Microsoft: "WE KNOW"

LOL they're pretty much giving you KI free. Take advantage

JRXP2011 said on November 12, 2013 at 6:13 p.m.

Just purchased this. Thanks for the heads up, I've had this $100 dollar bestbuy card burning a hole in my pocket.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

First of all with everything that's going on the screen at one time and the game running at a full 60FPS there might be some slow down if it was released on 360. Ill put it this way what if a 360 version was release and it was noticeably inferior?

Then this would only make DH look bad and heres another point Microsoft loves to jump ship promoting there most current console. Don't expect anymore support from Microsoft when it comes to the 360 and the same thing happened to the xbox when the 360 was released. Its really a double edge sword.

First if your going to be an xbox one owner like myself this is a good thing because Microsoft is focusing all there attention on the new console but if your a current gen owner your kinda screwed. Im also getting a PS4 but decided to sell my preorder for an xbox one preorder and heres why.

When I first bought a PS3 it just sat there there was no real reason for me to have it besides movies and playing vanilla virtua fighter 5. My xbox on the other hand had great titles from the beginning where the PS3 finished better then the 360 by having strong titles even till the end.

If you remember PS2 still got a lot of support from first party and third party developers after the PS3 was released. I guess what im trying to say is the reason KI on xbox one is its an incentive to buy an xbox one. Why would a console maker whos is known for promoting there latest consoles make a game for a console they no longer support?

Not only that but lets be real most people who like myself who have sold/traded in there consoles are 360 owners. I still have my PS3 and im currently playing games like blazblue chrono phantasma. So why put a game that's noticeably going to be inferior on the 360 when a good majority of 360 owners have already got or are soon planning to get rid of there 360s.

Ever been on craigslist or ebay? There are quite a few PS3's but there is no where near as many 360's trying to be sold/traded. I even had to tell myself what am I doing buying a PS4? It seems like just like last gen where Microsoft started strong and sony will finish strong. Theres no denying it just look at the launch titles and games like titan fall there are going to be released for xbox one.

You don't have to be a fan of those games ive mentioned because im sure most of us are into fighters but you cant deny how Microsoft in general has a better line up of games in the near future. So what I said to myself was well let me see if I can sell my PS4 preorder for a slight profit and find an xbox one preorder.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

Luckily for me I got a good deal so I jumped on it and I will still get a PS4 down the road however maybe around spring when theres more games I want for it. Fighting games are easily my favorite genre but I don't buy consoles just for fighting games im a games not just a fan of fighting games.

For those of you complaining about KI's roster are you paying the same price for the game as you would a retail game? No your paying 20 dollars to have access to around 8 characters which means if we get another 8 characters next season that brings the roster to 16 with a price tag of $40 dollars.

Looking at it that way doesn't seem all that bad to me. I also find it funny because how many characters do most of us even main in a fighting game? What 3 at the most I don't see most of the people complaining about the CURRENT roster maining more than 8 characters.

You sometimes run into the same few characters over and over in fighting games that feature a really large roster. Guess what people complain about there are so many so and so characters online im getting sick of fighting blah blah blah. The way to think about it though is not everyone plays those characters exactly the same way.

When you play a game of chess everyone has there own way of playing the game or setups they like to use to win. Chess has never needed updates adding pieces to the board and its been just fine the way it is for the longest time so how does a lack of characters INITIALLY hurt KI? In fact im personally glad the game is currently only 20 bucks.

Ive spending quite a bit of money to purchase an xbox one already and after purchasing a year of live for 59.99 im not trying to spend to much more money at the moment. Especially when im still trying to by a PS4 in the next few coming months. Holidays are also around the corner so a 20 dollar game that that im looking forward to more than any other game at launch is right up my alley especially when im getting it free with the best buy promotion.

So yea I don't know where all these complaints about lack of characters are coming from if were only paying $20 dollars. I have a feeling its people who cant currently get a xbox one which is unfortunate or people who aren't fans of the game. If its the latter you know there can be more than one fighting game don't you?

The old saying variety is the spice of life can also apply to fighting games. With the way more and more fighting games are being released on PC maybe well see a PC release. Don't hold your breathe though because this game is one of microsofts current incentives to buy a xbox one.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

Actually I think its just best buy that's giving you the 20 dollars and you could spend it on other DLC like map packs however I think id rather have KI.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

Hell yea you get a year of live and KI along with shadow jago its win win situation to me.

emc said on November 12, 2013 at 6:48 p.m.

I actually just re-upped my subscription, there was a deal on XBL not too long ago that cut the price from 59.99 to 35.99 for a whole year, so there's that.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 6:57 p.m.

People always complain about the price of LIVE and though I agree it's not worth 59.99 a year you can always find promotions. I'll personally never pay full price for a year of LIVE unless there is an incentive like this 20 dollar promotion. If you take the time to look around you can always find a good deal when you pay for a year of LIVE.

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 12, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

I'm going to purchase the $40 KI but with the free $20 I'll now get it at half price. I want to cryogenically freeze myself until November 22nd I am so hyped for the Xbox One. I already have preordered Ryse: Son of Rome, Battlefield 4, Fifa 14 do I have a lot of great gaming coming by way but my main interest is KI.

Im faded right now. Probably sounds like a rant.

Friggin THCGamer jumped ship hard. Much love cuddy

Mike_layZee said on November 12, 2013 at 7:21 p.m.

CosmiicJourney said on November 12, 2013 at 8 p.m.

Omg $60 for 8 characters?! That's a little steep. Especially when they already know there's more planned.

FlameDragonK said on November 12, 2013 at 8:26 p.m.

$60/year translates to $5/month or $0.16/day. This is basically equivalent to how much a traditional p2p model works, and there's hundreds of thousands of people who apparently have no problem paying that much. Compare this to a game like DCUO which costs 3X that much, $15/month or $0.48/day if you decided to sub.

Another way to think about this is that, for $5/month, you get full LIVE access to every game that's ever released, rather then just being tied to one game. You're looking at the final price tag. Rather, you should break it down to /month and /day and compare it to other similar services. Most services either offer that rate, or higher.

Paradonyx said on November 12, 2013 at 10:49 p.m.

Not sure if I should applaud you for that unecessarily long essay, or just laugh. lol

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 11:23 p.m.

You have to understand also that you get full access to almost every game release on PS3, Wii and Wii U without having to pay a set price. As you stated with IF YOU DECIDE TO SUB. DCUO doesn't require a subscription and you can do a whole helluva lot with just a free membership.

I would know I use to have DCUO but a better way to show how LIVE is worth (semi worth) the money is the download for DCUO is ATROCIOUS. I don't care how large the game is PSN servers are terrible compared to Microsoft when it comes to downloads.

I almost forgot PC gamers are probably the ones that look down on paying for LIVE the most because a good majority of there games even before xbox live came around had dedicated servers that for just purchasing the game. No other services console wise with the exception of Microsoft have charged you rate.

Heres another thing you might want to consider the new elder scrolls game (elder scrolls online) is under a lot of scrutiny right now because chances are were going to have to pay for a online subscription for regardless on both Xbox one and PS4.

Heres what you get with LIVE you get fast download speeds and all the exclusive benefits that come with LIVE like LAST FM. Heres the problem ive had with LIVE all these years a good chunk of LIVE is advertisements. I don't feel LIVE is worth 5 dollars a month when there are cheap internet providers that don't charge you more than 20 dollars a month maybe even less.

Me I have Comcast and yes ive had LIVE for few years now however I still don't feel its worth what Microsoft is charging. I had PS+ for a little while and while I know for a fact sony needs to play catch up when it comes to LIVE I feel I was getting more out of it in terms of free games.

Still I wasn't forced to subscribe to PS+ to play games online and that's another thing I don't like about LIVE. If you wanted to play online you have to pay for a gold membership and if you don't buy the year membership its even more expensive.

Microsoft is making a fortune off of live which is why sony is now forcing PS games to pay for PS+ if you plan on going online with a PS4. Now if you enjoy and use all the features that come with LIVE then yea its more worth it for you however if your mainly using it to play games online its not worth the price of 59.99 in my opinion.

So in the end another way to look at it is if you want full access to your xbox 360 or xbox one then you have to pay for it. Ill probably never pay for full price for a gold membership but that's because I don't need to since I make it a point to buy 12 month memberships if I see a good deal.

Im not saying LIVE sucks I personally use features like last fm (one thing I love more than games is music) but I personally feel its over priced at 59.99. This deal right here though I couldn't pass up because I not only renewed my gold membership but now im getting the launch game ive wanted the most along with my renewal.

TheTHCGamer said on November 12, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

Hey shut your mouth alright us old people tend to ramble on but I just thought id try to cover my bases as much I could so people wouldn't sit there being smart asses questioning the things I stated. In other words I tried my best to troll proof my comment.

Wuni said on November 13, 2013 at 3:24 a.m.

You and me both. I'm one of the Microsoft people in the PC department; so I'd be lynched for not knowing this stuff.

tidestick said on November 13, 2013 at 10:44 a.m.

Wait. So you have to purchase another Xbl membership to get online on Xbone?

Lordd_G said on November 13, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

I just played Killer Instinct today at MS Store in the mall. Both the game and even the D-pad on the X1 controller are LEGIT! Pressing up on the D-pad caused Jago to.... /gasp/... do a neutral jump 100% of the time. Of course fightpad/stick is the way to go for FGs, but just saying if any one was interested.

Now can I justify dropping $500 on a console just for a DL only game???

TheTHCGamer said on November 13, 2013 at 11:08 a.m.

No if you have an existing membership it just transfer over but if you currently didn't this is a good deal.

Lordd_G said on November 13, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

Punctuation, apparently, is not your strong suit.

TheTHCGamer said on November 13, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

Don't think about it that way your buying a console to play all the games your going to be interested throughout its life cycle. I'm personally looking forward to some of the initial titles being released for Xbox one which is why I'm buying it first. There's very few consoles I've bought mainly for one game and those have been the GameCube/Wii for the smash Bros games. I'll pretty much be buying a Wii U for the same reason but you know for a fact xbox one/PS4 will have some stellar titles.

TheTHCGamer said on November 13, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

I'm usually typing from my phone I didn't knew this was a college essay and don't forget English might not be some peoples first language so it's not always good to be judgmental especially for a video game site. Point is you inderstood what I was saying.

Lol what are we on gamefaqs?

Lordd_G said on November 13, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

Actually I had a hard time following your ramblings so I didn't understand everything... I just thought since I took the time to read it you could made things more clearer with commas or just use shorter sentences. Anyhoo, carry on...

TheTHCGamer said on November 13, 2013 at 6:10 p.m.

If I had more time and actually wanted to then yea I would however I didn't feel the need too glad you read it though;).

courte said on November 14, 2013 at 4:18 p.m.

Don't get paid til next week. This is jank. Guess I'll get a 3 month and pin ultimate

courte said on November 14, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.

I like essays. Brings the human element to the net many youths try to deny. Also 500 for one game is the dumbest reason against an xboxone. I don't remember anyone saying anything like that last console launch. Not an xbox fan, but as a gamer this sh!t has always costed bread. And for pc gamers who do frequent enough uogrades, you may not like spending all that money, or be you do, but by comparison 500 is something anyone with a decent rig should scoff considered the only thing you do to an xbox is hdd live and cool ranch doritis locos tacos mountain dew

Darklurkr23 said on November 14, 2013 at 8:02 p.m.

I'm sure they'll have him for sale down teh road. "Exclusive" ain't nothing anymore

Amerika said on November 16, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

Especially when they plan on making him his own character and not just a skin for Jago. There is no chance he won't be up for purchase in the future when that happens.