Spinal slated for Killer Instinct release in January of next year, Fulgore will follow in March - TE2 fightstick shipments may be delayed

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • November 8, 2013 at 6:01 p.m. PST

During yesterday's Killer Instinct stream, the Microsoft Studios team dropped a bit more information on the release window of the 7th and 8th season 1 characters. Previously, we knew that the two post launch fighters would become available some time next year.

This time around, the MS Studios team got a little more specific on when we can expect to play as Spinal and Fulgore. The pirate-themed skeleton is planned to hit Xbox One consoles in January of next year, and the Ultratech cyborg will follow in March.

Additionally, we have gotten reports that some who pre-ordered their Mad Catz Killer Instinct Tournament Edition 2 fightstick, may not be receiving on the launch day of the console. One of our readers told us that they received an email from Amazon, stating that the stick would be released on December 14th, as opposed to November 22nd, the launch day of the console.

Hit the jump to read on.

Both Amazon and GameStop now have the release date for the Killer Instinct TE2 listed as December 13th of this year, so it seems those who pre-ordered from these sites could potentially see delays.

There are currently no specifics on if players will actually be receiving their fightsticks in December, however, Mad Catz representative Mark "MarkMan" Julio mentioned on Twitter that we can possibly expect an update on TE2 pre-orders / shipping, next week. We will post a follow up here on EventHubs when more information becomes available.

Mentioned by USAtlas, and jdfedor.

Comments

DannyBoyPERU said on November 8, 2013 at 6:05 p.m.

Yayyyyyyyy

Smorgasboard said on November 8, 2013 at 6:08 p.m.

Rushed.

SadisticSamurai said on November 8, 2013 at 6:09 p.m.

Well, Not regretting choosing to wait a while to play this in a more finished/completed form later down the line.

masang said on November 8, 2013 at 6:13 p.m.

TE2 shipments possibly delayed?

please don't let the stock tank any more...

=(

Rambro said on November 8, 2013 at 6:16 p.m.

what about t.j combo

JRXP2011 said on November 8, 2013 at 6:21 p.m.

Wow. Come on madcatz don't drop the ball. There is an exclusive fighting game for launch and no stick? Boooooooooooo

AugustAPC said on November 8, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

So is it confirmed that we can't use our 360 sticks for the Xbox One?

Otter_of_Death said on November 8, 2013 at 6:32 p.m.

From what I understand, 360 sticks should work with the game.

courte said on November 8, 2013 at 6:38 p.m.

waiting for april, combo cinder and riptor leaks.

masang said on November 8, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.

that's what i'm sayin'!

damn, this isn't looking good for me...

LUTank said on November 8, 2013 at 7:04 p.m.

Got my fightstick reserved at GS... Im good to go!!!

DunnDeal said on November 8, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.

That's cool. Charge extra for the stick then delay the shipping....

VegaBisonAbel said on November 8, 2013 at 7:16 p.m.

so 4 characters on launch, and the 6 will be completed after 4 months? Can't believe people are supporting this BS

RomeMc said on November 8, 2013 at 7:17 p.m.

I preordered from the Madcatz store so I hope those won't be delayed....we already have to re-buy a fightstick, they should at least make sure customers have them a week before Xbox one launch. Smh at that delay crap!

RomeMc said on November 8, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.

This troll doesn't even have his facts right but want to complain! Lmbo!! Shows that complaining about stuff is popular

DunnDeal said on November 8, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.

Dude....where are you getting your numbers from?

TrueGamingGuru said on November 8, 2013 at 7:41 p.m.

@Rambro

TJ Combo is very likely to be in Season 2, so you'd have to wait until either Fulgore has a trailer & hints its next character. Season 1 is going to be 8 characters, so you have to wait a bit longer for TJ Combo. (even it sucks to wait longer)

@VegaBisonAbel

You got your numbers wrong... Its 6 at launch, if you bought either the combo breaker pack or ultra pack you get the 2 characters earlier. Even what you think is BS, there is still a reason to even play Killer Instinct even if it has limited access at launch, but the number of characters doesn't really make up for how Killer Instinct is going to perform.

papertokyo said on November 8, 2013 at 8:11 p.m.

@#13 DEM counting skills!

rlt4life said on November 8, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.

Nice, Spinal, the first character i learned, coming in on the month on my birth.

chosenst said on November 8, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.

4, 6, 8... what does it matter. VegaBisonAble is simply echoing a sentiment that is felt by many. This game, for it's monetary compensation, is a complete joke. I'm not even going to look at the "combo breaker" pack or the "ultra pack".. the fact of the matter is games are coming out less and less complete and people are still continuing to support a model that is pegged to nickle and dime the consumer. As much outrage as there was when UMvC3 was released but all of a sudden since this is a new game, people want to act like it's a different situation. Enjoy your game, I'm not down talking anyone that is a KI fan and is looking forward to the game itself, but the idea of getting almost half the games content post launch is just ludicrous to me, but then again what do I know, I started playing games on an Atari.

papertokyo said on November 8, 2013 at 8:18 p.m.

@DunnDeals #13 Is the type of person who gets his info from IGN lmao!

ViLLAiN_VeNoM said on November 8, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

That is such a rip off, first the the classic arcade mode doesn't release until the full roster drop, considering that will be march due to the final character of the first season being released...yea what a total rip off!!!!

DunnDeal said on November 8, 2013 at 8:40 p.m.

LMFAO I'm done!

RomeMc said on November 8, 2013 at 8:58 p.m.

Ok so let's put it all out there. People like you act like DH is doin something unheard of in gaming history. 1st off like you said forget the combo and ultra packs. Throw those out the window and that makes the game FREE! It's a FREE game that comes with Jago and all the online features. Once again the download is FREE meaning no money is needed to play KI on day one

3rd games being released this way have been goin on for years now so let's not act like this is new. We all been buy DLC add on content for every game we play. I guarantee 95% of us have bought a $15 map pack for Call of Duty. Or bought a $50 premium membership for Battlefield. Let's not talk like fight games are different from those cuz they are not

Damonta said on November 8, 2013 at 9:03 p.m.

Definitely overpriced. I don't agree with paying for promises.

And yeah, the roster is pathetic. Even BlazBlue had way more characters at launch and that was a new IP too, but using sprites that take longer to make and still had a crap ton of content on top of all of that. KI won't even have an Arcade mode for months. Pretty sad.

What if I'm a fan of a certain character playstyle? With only 6 characters my options are pretty limited. Most people only play around 2 to 3 characters in your average fighting game, but it's nice to have a large variety to select from and having more characters make for more match-ups, which keeps playing as those particular characters remain interesting longer. Atm the only character I give a crap about is Chief Thunder, but with only 6 match-ups to learn it's going to get pretty boring fast.

The bigger the roster the more characters I'll likely end up liking to play as and/or fight against.

I appreciate the passion that the dev team are clearly putting into KI, but that being said this game reeks of a rushed cash-in in attempt to play on fan's nostalgia to sell Xbox Ones. It's just an unfortunate case of the developer's passion being abused by Microsoft. I don't wish failure upon the game, but I definitely won't be supporting this crap. Too many games these days release incomplete with the mentality that it's all okay because patches/dlc will make things fine over time. This is definitely not a mentality I want to see so blatantly in a brand new game on my brand new next-gen system.

papertokyo said on November 8, 2013 at 9:07 p.m.

#26 Speaking the truth...Plain and simple.

CaryKokujin said on November 8, 2013 at 9:19 p.m.

360 sticks only work on the current dev units, allegedly you will not be able to use 360 sticks on the final version :(

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 8, 2013 at 9:25 p.m.

While I would prefer a more complete roster at launch I really don't mind 6 on release with 2 more coming in the following couple months.

First off Microsoft has been rushing DH and I think DH have handled their predicament well. These characters are superbly fleshed out and their accompanying stages look gorgeous.

Secondly, I am intrigued by the episodic content because it will allow players to grow accustomed to match-ups a lot quicker and with there being combo breakers and counter breakers 16 or more characters at launch would make it quite a daunting task to learn all the animations for each character and which power (l, m, h) to break with.

All in all I believe it will be fun watching this game add features, levels and characters over time.

ViLLAiN_VeNoM said on November 8, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

I hear ya #27

Orichalkos said on November 8, 2013 at 9:33 p.m.

Kinda sad that even skull girls had a bigger cast at launch then this game... maybe if they didn't rush this it would have been way better

DunnDeal said on November 8, 2013 at 9:40 p.m.

How is $20 overpriced?

And as for the roster, the game can have 50 characters and everyone would still use the same 3-4 popular characters so it wouldn't even matter. The game is looking great so far

SirRetro08 said on November 8, 2013 at 9:42 p.m.

Despite this type of idea going on for years, despite of WHY the way games are being released as is, despite of the type of micro-transactions for current generation, I miss when you play games to unlock stuff and not pay 'em like rent every month. DLC can be fine if done right, but rather wait til the game is fully complete and updated then buying to upgrade or add more. It's fine and dandy for those who approve of the idea, but don't bash those who don't like the way it's being handled. To each one's own...

KingKong said on November 8, 2013 at 9:42 p.m.

First we had a half-assed DC game (or should I say, a Superman game), now we get a half-assed Killer Instinct game... I swear, those greedy publishers...

chosenst might be right about the nickle and dime thing, it's sad really

Aluppoj said on November 8, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Sorry, had to chime in.

SF4 has 39 characters, and THOUSANDS of people use all 39. Check the boards.

It's called having a diverse game experience. Because YOU may stick to the same 3-4 characters doesn't mean everyone else does.

The "No one uses those characters" is the worst argument in history. And is a very sloppy scapegoat for having a major release with 6 characters.

Might be acceptable for an indie game.

TheLaw said on November 8, 2013 at 10:06 p.m.

You lost me at " 2nd everyone complaining about the game are finding dumb reasons to hate on it to hide the fact what they really have a problem with, Which is the game isn't multi-platform. Now if this game was coming for ps3/xbox360 and ps4/Xbox one absolutely no one would be complaining about the game....NO ONE!!! " huh? Ill just let you keep thinking that.....

Damonta said on November 8, 2013 at 10:07 p.m.

How can you generalise the player base? There's always going to be a most used and least used character. Just because certain characters are more popular doesn't mean that everyone likes playing as them. The tournament streams you watch or the players you face online are only a fraction of the overall comunity.

I don't use Superman in Injustice, I use Joker. The thought of Joker not even being in the game just because Superman's playstyle would naturally be the most appealing is completely idiotic.

I don't care if the game costs even £5. It's not just a matter of money, but the principle behind the game's content and the fact that if I'm putting my valuable time into learning the game then I want something that's gonna be worth it. A game with only 6 match-ups isn't going to stay interesting long.

It's honestly not even hype watching a fighting game if it's just the same 6 characters being used. And no, other fighting games aren't that bad in that aspect, that's just an exaggeration used in KI's defence. I see much more than 6 characters being used in Injustice, Marvel, SSFIV, ect. It also makes it much more of a treat when you see someone rare like Hakan pop up.

I like grapplers, but what does KI offer me? Chief Thunder? That's it? With such a small roster being used by such a large number of players, I can see all the game's new tech being worn out after barely two weeks.

AkiraHeart said on November 8, 2013 at 10:47 p.m.

I agree with most of you people. The way they are trying to sell KI is just worse...

I need a solid game at the start. 6 - 8 characters and thousands modes missing is NOT solid.

Sadly.

SummerUndercover said on November 8, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

Not sure how Injustice is half-assed, and I hardly see how a delayed release date for the TE2 has anything to do with KI's quality.

TrueGamingGuru said on November 9, 2013 at 12:03 a.m.

@chosenst, Damonta, Orichalkos, AkiraHeart, or anyone else

Even if all of you don't like how the game is launched, but we have to accept it for what it is. Why, its because this game's development time is very limited meaning not enough time to include a full cast of characters & stages (plus DLC), not enough time to have more single player modes, not enough time to make the gameplay better, not enough time to make online playable, not enough time to have very stylish graphics, & not enough time to tweak/polish/fix anything.

Games like SFIV, MVC, MK, Injustice etc. have way more time, and they take about 2 years or more to include everything when developing the game. Microsoft's case is 1 year, start development in Sep. 2012 and has to be released at Nov. 2013 with no delays & has to be launch at the same day as the Xbox One. Part of the limited development time is that you need to give up a full roster with few characters at launch & not making extra content or finishers, for the sake of the gameplay, graphics, tweaks, polish, fixes, & online. You'd have to sacrifice everything in order to have better gameplay & online better. Trying to create characters take up a lot of time, & even having a couple of single player could slow development when working with Microsoft's demand.

Part of the whole Yearly Seasons & limited launches is kind of a smart move in its own right, I understand this is not a really good method. But this is for the best for Killer Instinct, because of Microsoft's demand of wanting this game to be a launch title, with very limited development time, and part of Ken Lobb & Double Helix are making the best of their time focusing on what would make KI a solid fighter which is the gameplay.

If Killer Instinct wasn't a launch title & had more development, we would've gotten more. Even if they have 6 characters at launch, plus 2 being available later. However Killer Instinct will still be in development and will include more characters, more stages, more costumes & accessory items, and maybe few more modes. So 8 characters won't end here.

I'm sure they'll make a complete version, when everything is completely done & the Season Launches no longer serve its purpose.

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 9, 2013 at 12:18 a.m.

@Aluppoj
Street Fighter 4 - 16 characters
Street Fighter 4 (Console) - 25 characters
Super Street Fighter 4 - 35 characters
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition - 39 characters
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 44 characters

Vanilla SF4 was in development for nearly 3 years and it had 16 characters and even a smaller number of stages. Killer Instinct (2013) has been in development for less than a year and it's at 6 characters with their respective stages and within a couple month will have 8 and by this time next year (under 2 years of development) it will have a roster of 12 or higher. I think it's safe to say there is a lot more to KI characters because they are all very different playstyle-wise and look unique as well. The stages are much more detailed and the background music changing in response to the tempo of the gameplay is extremely innovative.

If KI becomes even remotely as successful as Street Fighter 4 has become there is a possibility of an expansive roster of 24 or more characters (stages included) within the next 5 years.

FalsoL said on November 9, 2013 at 12:56 a.m.

I've never bought a DLC, much less of garbages like COD or Battlefield. So do not insult me

FalsoL said on November 9, 2013 at 1:11 a.m.

So, why they want to launch two characters in January?
Why would launch a second season?
With 3-4 characters is enough, right?
Microsoft, don't waste your money!!! We only want four chars.!!!

MatchFixah said on November 9, 2013 at 1:14 a.m.

They better reduce the 200 price tag to something more affordable as a result of those delays!

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 1:41 a.m.

I love SFIV but how many characters are shoto variations in just vanilla SFIV alone. Also when did we start putting a value on entertainment? I paid CAPCOM 79.99 (retail) for Street Fighter 2 on SNES which only featured 8 characters two of them being straight up clones. Guess what even though that games was 30 dollars more than any SNES game it was more than worth it.

On top of that guess what CAPCOM also charged me full price for every SF2 update released on SNES and I bought all of them. I didn't think I was getting ripped off at all because I enjoyed those games immensely. Hey it could be worse guys we could buy a game then have to pay 20 extra dollars to unlock 12 characters and be told when we can unlock those characters ;).

Seriously though when it comes to how much value were getting we should judge the game on its own. Comparing specific games will just have people arguing which games is better when in reality it comes down preference.

wallace604 said on November 9, 2013 at 1:43 a.m.

i really wish they didnt patch the fight stick thing until a few months down the road , like let us use our sticks on day one and until they figure out mad catz shipment stuff. its what seems fair to both consumer and manufacturer, i can play on my controller of choice and then im forced to upgrade to there product eventually

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 1:54 a.m.

Lol there not especially when they might have the only stick at the moment out for the Xbox one. I mean they literally have no competition at the moment which isn't a good thing.

SJFox said on November 9, 2013 at 3:02 a.m.

I agree with your last sentiment but you shouldn't have even tried to contribute to the very point you are arguing against to make a statement. Comparing a 2013/2014 game to something that came out in 1991 kills you. For instance, your statement insists that the FGC would not complain if capcom made sf5 with only 8 characters: Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Akuma, Bison, Guile, Blanka and some new guy/girl. Fact is, the FGC would practically castrate Capcom, namco, SNK, any publishing team responsible for such a small roster and rushed product.

EnglishKidChin said on November 9, 2013 at 4:29 a.m.

I called MadCatz and they said if you preordered the fight stick as late as last week Sunday then they will be shipped early to be received on or before 11/22. So your fine if you got it from MadCatz/Gameshark store.

tktktk43 said on November 9, 2013 at 5:21 a.m.

It's obvious MS wants to capitalize on DLC.

DunnDeal said on November 9, 2013 at 5:51 a.m.

Oh really? Because all I've been fighting in Ranked is Ryu, Ryu, Ryu, and umm....Ryu!

Damonta said on November 9, 2013 at 8:04 a.m.

What a load of crap. Shoto fever hasn't been an issue with the online community since the game's launch. Seems like you're just making that up in KI's defence. Also, Street Fighter isn't the only fighting game around and your streak of bad luck doesn't represent everyone else's experiences. Of course though you seem to forget this with this selfish logic of " Well I only use 2-3 characters anyway". You know why you use that many? Because in most fighting games there's such a significant number of characters per playstyle that you can find that many to be interested in. Having less characters doesn't mean that more of them will be used. If anything you'll probably just have a harder time finding more than 1 character who's playstyle keeps your interest in the end. Even if some characters are overused, it was always nice to have the option to not follow the grain and pick one of the lesser popular characters, which often had the advantage of the element of surprise.

Want grapplers? You only get Chief Thunder. Want a keep-away character? You only get Glacius, who's only a psuedo-keep away character anyway. Want that well-rounded guy? You only get Jago. The average player tends to stick to characters to a single playstyle of their preference and the most popular playstyle is generally the well-rounded characters because they tend to be simple to play. You think Ryu is bad in SSFIV? Oh boy, wait until KI releases. You'll get enough of Jago to last a lifetime and your next. I'd easily take the same 4 characters being used all the time than the same 2.

There's always going to be that simple character that's overused whilst the technical gimmicky character is underused. You can't avoid that unless you make every character simple, which would be boring, or if there was only 1 character on the roster. Based on your attitude Microsoft may as well just sell you a 1 character fighting game.

Harada got it right. He said that he hasn't removed a character since Tekken 4 because it taught him the value of every character and even the lesser ones still have their own fanbase that he has to respect and treat equally. If this was a new IP then maybe I'd be more forgiving, despite BlazBlue managing to achieve a 12 character starting roster, but it's sad that this game doesn't even at least have the classics in. I mean how the hell can Fulgore not be in at launch? He's usually considered like 'the' iconic character of the series - the Scorpion of KI.

mrambitious said on November 9, 2013 at 8:38 a.m.

Give us your money, well get you the full game and your arcade stick eventually, probably by xmas, buy who knows. -MS

Can't wait for my fully functioning PS4 with full games on release and backwards compatability for fight sticks. You have fun with your more expensive machine with incomplete games and hardware no one gives a crap about (kinnect). Don't forget that in order to use all the "all in one" features you need multiple subscriptions for TV, streaming video, and music streaming services. The entire machine and all the money required to make it work properly, let alone the bandwith required to be streaming everything in HD. Half the country doesn't even have access to broadband, fios, or cable internet but they don't mention how that is required to stream all the TV and videos they show in the commercials. Guaranteed half the people who get one end up only using it as a $500+ Xbox 360.

Niitris said on November 9, 2013 at 8:39 a.m.

We did castrate SNK for releasing a rushed product... It was called KoF XII. That game had 22 characters, an arcade mode, and crap online... It wasn't worth $60.

Then of course there was Capcom and SFxT (but I won't elaborate on that, I will say that some people overreacted).

Namco made SC5 with no 1P content outside of that gimmicky as hell Create-a-Character. That game didn't go very far even with it's great online.

KI will have 6 (eventually 8) chars, and only endless survival (until the other two show up). If the online is garbage (or even average) the game won't even be worth $20. People know "rushed" when they see it.

BlitzN said on November 9, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

January and March:) exciting. If this trend continues ala June, August... No season pass 2 for me I'll buy each character on release, that's going to be awesome if they don't hold them back.

mrambitious said on November 9, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

I don't get how the FGC can be so contradictory to itself. The same reasons people hate sfxt and various other games are being completely ignored when talking about KI. Which doesn't even launch with an arcade mode. Let me repeat that, DOESN'T EVEN LAUNCH WITH AN ARCADE MODE. They haven't even properly developed the AI yet to add arcade, a full roster, and other modes like training and such but people are still giving it the benefit of the doubt? Fan boys at their best.

Montsegur said on November 9, 2013 at 8:54 a.m.

One of the biggest complaints about Skullgirls is lack of chars. Don't see how this is any different, bigger name, bigger company so it's ok? Seems worse to me with the money backing it.

Really rather wait for a complete product, rather than rush something to help push system sales.

BlitzN said on November 9, 2013 at 9:23 a.m.

Then wait, you see that's the value of having a choice. I want what they have as quickly as possible. They've given us options, so now you are happy, and I am also happy. It's a win, win.

sabreFGC said on November 9, 2013 at 9:58 a.m.

and skull girls was in development for over 5 years. KI has barely been 1 year. do the math =/

sabreFGC said on November 9, 2013 at 10:09 a.m.

@truegamingguru

agreed. Not only that, they had to build an engine entirely from scratch, on unfinished hardware, unfinished sdk's, smaller dev team.

Whereas games like sf4 are using existing engine technology(mt framework), developing on older hardware, where they have plenty of experience, and more people...

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

If you think about it SFIV initially didn't have a really large roster but it was a very solid fighting game so it sold well. It also played on the nostalgia that was the most popular fighting game of all time (SF2) which helped its cause.

You have to be open minded and understand how these games are being developed. CAPCOM gave much more time and im sure a larger budget for SFIV. DH isn't getting the same treatment that went into SFIV. DH is doing the best they can with what they have and are probably working day/night to make KI the best game possible

No developer wants to be known for rushing a game or getting a bad reputation in general especially for a game that's suppose to be an investment type game where you get more content over time. I personally feel if SFIV initially was released with only 8 characters that it still would've sold well.

You bring up SNK lol but KOFXII was one of the worst fighting games released this gen believe me I know I bought the game. KOFXII was literally a beta for KOFXIII because SNK was very low on money at the time so they released what was finished at the moment. Anyone who has played KOFXII can attest to this.

Guess what SNK rebounded with the stellar KOFXIII so there goes the argument of castrating a publishing/development team for a small roster/rushed product. Im not going to go into all the details of why KOFXII was rushed and literally a 60 dollar beta the KOF community can do that.

As far as KI I don't think the game is rushed at all and ill tell you why they have a decent sized staff that are constantly working on the game. The characters you've seen so far are very unique in both the way they look and play. Lastly DH feel they have something to prove so there doing there best to make sure KI is a success in both sales and the eyes of the FGC.

SJFox said on November 9, 2013 at 11:28 a.m.

DH has not been under fire for a rushed project and I doubt they ever have been. Majority of the complaints for this game have been aimed squarely at Microsoft for orchestrating this whole thing. The only issue people have with DH is the fact that they are so inexperienced and haven't delivered a solid game yet. This leads people to think DH will again let them down on a franchise they once loved ((even I have shifty eyes)).

So relax, barely anyone is pointing the finger at DH.

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

Very good points and I don't think the online will be garbage due to the fact that Microsoft consoles are geared toward online play in general. Hes right point is people aren't going to never forgive developers for there past mistakes as long as they don't keep making those mistakes sequel after sequel.

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 11:42 a.m.

I wouldn't worry to much DH is doing everything they can to remedy the problem of Microsoft not giving the them the support a first party game deserves. They hired Filthie Rich who is a great promoter and they've been getting heavy feedback from players of the FGC.

Its crazy how many events KI has already been too and how many streams the game has already been on. The development team has also been more open about the development of the game then most other developers which is a good thing because that means more feedback.

Im sure some of the memebers of DH are fans of fighting games also and remember DH has never been given the opportunity to release a solid game KI is there big chance and I guarantee you there doing everything they can to prove they can do this.

Hell look at NRS the MK vs DC game was HORRIBLE but now there pretty damn successful when it comes to fighting games. There fighting games don't personally make my top lists but they've become pretty successful at making fighting games. I think DH is taking the right mindset of getting the right people on board to make sure KI is a solid fighting game.

Im not going to lie I like everything ive read and seen of the gameplay aspects so far. Initially I was very much on the fence but with the short amount of time they've been given ive been impressed with what ive seen.

SJFox said on November 9, 2013 at noon

19 characters, 6 being new is a respectable number. Room for people to fish around for a character of their liking and while popularity shines, the experience of fighting a character specialist can still be exciting. And of course SF4 is riding on nostalgia, same with KI. Even Max will admit that the major thing drawing him to purchase an entire system for this game is nostalgia, he said this before he even got his hands on the game, despite being displeased with microsoft DRM and there are many people like him. Nostalgia doesn't defend the case of KI, it hinders it. It says to people "Yeah well I don't care, I just wanna play this game" which is okay, but don't get all ticked ((not saying you specifically do)) when people voice flaws in the design.

I have an open mind and have always seen this as more of a Microsoft issue than a DH one. In fact, I think more people are admirable of DH's efforts in such a clutch situation. Further, many people arguing against KI's design are point the finger squarely at Microsoft. I never made a single nod of criticism at DH for the game's half finished presentation. This game has been in development for under a year, if you think that's just okay then fine, I don't. I think my favorite franchise would deserve the money, time and respect of any other game. But that's me, some people just want to play it by any means and don't care about certain principles in favor of just playing the game. Again this is fine, I however think it will just hinder the game in the long run by hindering sales and a quicker lost of interest/relevance. The same thing has already happened to skullgirls and that was supposed to be a love letter to the fighting community. This is being backed directly by one of the biggest corporations in the world. In my opinion, this is no excuse.

If SF4 was released with 8 characters, or as I've said in my example, 5, it would have tanked. Fans would have felt betrayed by capcom for rushing the game and the online discussions, comments, and twitter would be hot with fan rage at capcom for, you guessed it, greed. The FGC has already shown that capcom are not hailed as zealots so why do you think this idea would just pass? Especially while Tekken, the game that's been one of the only games to continue flourishing in the community, is sporting 30-40 characters ala T6? Fans would be enraged if capcom released anything less than 15 characters and all the standard modes, terrible story be damned.

SJFox said on November 9, 2013 at noon

@65 [Cont'd]

I did bring up SNK, not in good light, more so against the statement that people would be okay if any other publishing/dev company decides willfully to make a game that is so rushed. SNK have already been under fire so you best believed they listened to feedback and followed up with a better game meeting the standards of fighting games. The thing is, this is a no choice situation. Microsoft planned from the beginning to hinder the quality of the product by rushing this thing out in under a year to sell XB1 systems on a nostalgic trip. I honestly doubt Microsoft will even support this game if the DLC undersells. They entered this battle with no confidence, the odds of them fighting to support it while it's struggling is not good. I think the fans are also suspicious of this. It's a huge gamble if you're a fighting game fan either way.

Unfortunately it's not a subjective topic. It is a fact that this is a rushed game. It's underfunded with an undersized staff rushing to reach that launch goal. If that isn't the definition of a rushed title than why not just look at the package: Missing vast majority of the standard modes to expect from a fighting game in fact one is confirmed delayed, a poor set of characters, not enough money to even fund a true testing phase, the day one buyers are not only the testing phase but the heart of supporting this game. So not only do we have the budgeting issue as proof of a rushed title, but the title itself. What more proof do you need that this is a rushed game?

SuperStraightFighter said on November 9, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

You are full of sh!t and you know it.

EnglishKidChin said on November 9, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

Guess what guys... They already have the cash from pre sales (pin instinct) etc, to justify a season 2! KI will be around for awhile. How they add content is they're new business model. Like it or not, game is going to have at least a 2 year shelf life. Deal with it. I played it... It feels really solid and it's a lot of fun... ill bite.

Aluppoj said on November 9, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

@70&71

Thank you.

KCereal said on November 9, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

No RedChief? Wow this is a amazing. Kappa

TrueGamingGuru said on November 9, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

@sabreFGC

On top of that, KI3 was a considered franchise to be revived multiple times during between the Xbox days, after an N64 KI3 was pre-maturely cancelled because the KI Team was working on Perfect Dark. Including the possible rumors of what KI3 could've been, and Ken Lobb wanting to get KI3 developed but never got the chance. Until Microsoft stared the development time for KI3, the same day as they were renewal their trademark and having to deal with Fox because their TV show was named Killer Instinct.

But Microsoft only brought Killer Instinct back, for the sake of having a verity of launch titles for the Xbox One. Meaning KI was to represent the fighter genre for the launch line ups, and not using games like SFIV, Injustice, or any other third party game. Because part of Microsoft wants a fighter game their own representing their brand & not some third party game.

@HolyGhostt

Part of the whole stuff you said, even if that was the case of what KI could've had but in reality that can't ever happen, including a major company that demand that this game should be a launch title.

-"They could have wait and work more."
+ Sure KI could've worked more for having more characters, stages, & extra content. But that idea alone is just impossible, because Microsoft wanted Killer Instinct to be a launch title. Like I said the development for KI started in Sept. 2012 & had to been release at Nov. 22 (two weeks left until release date) with no delays & not enough time to have everything in the game, it had to been done quick.

-"Give us the complete game"
+ If the development had more time & KI wasn't a launch title, we could've gotten more. Having even a complete game takes years to even have a game with full content & tons of characters. KI's case is impossible, due to Microsoft's limited development time. Having these Seasons which Ken Lobb thought of, was pretty smart in its own right. Sure its not that good of a method. But trying to have more characters/stages & extra modes would've interfere with the core gameplay because of its limited development time.

All I can say is KI could've waited to release the game until they make the complete game. But Microsoft makes this completely impossible, and a sacrifice had to take place all due to Microsoft want this game to be a launch title.

SirRetro08 said on November 9, 2013 at 2:17 p.m.

That's what I'm saying...

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 9, 2013 at 2:21 p.m.

I guess haters just wanna hate.

The new KI is the most polished fighting game I have ever seen and I doubt that would ever be the case if they were releasing the game with more than 6-8 characters. For the limited time they've had to develop the game they have done an amazing job. Double Helix has taken in a lot of fan feedback these past 6 months and have made this game much more dynamic than it appeared back during EVO.

Even though the roster size is comparatively small it is still composed of some very different characters, many of which are some of the greatest characters of fighting game history. People must remember that within a years time there will be 16 well balanced characters with the sexiest looking stages of all time. Most people aren't going to upgrade to the next generation of consoles for another year or two and when they do Killer Instinct could possibly have an excess of 16-24 characters many of which will be entirely brand spankin' new.

Now people can complain all day how Microsoft has rushed Double Helix into rushing the game, but I doubt KI2013 would even exist if Microsoft never intended it to be a launch title. So having new characters, stages, modes and other content being released over time is a small price we have to pay in order to enjoy such a heavily requested revival of one of the most iconic fighting games in American video game history.

I'm so thankful for WB and Microsoft are supporting NRS and DH so American-made fighting games can exist because I for one am growing tired of fighting games made by Japanese companies.

Murika baby!

P.S: To those complaining about the lack of an arcade mode and story node,
I'd much prefer visuals, mechanics, balance, character specific stages, superb audio, versus play, a good netcode, dojo and a stellar training mode to CPU modes. Be patient and you'll get your stupid vs CPU modes. :)

-end semi-inebriated rant here-

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.

You said it yourself its being backed by one of the biggest corporations in the world I don't think Microsoft will just let it fail but being realistic fighting games just don't sell well which Microsoft understands which is why unfortunately DH isn't getting the support they deserve.

I really don't think SFIV would've tanked if it was released with only 8 characters and the expectations for a having a large roster didn't initially happen until a few years later this console generation with a good amount of fighting games already released. Just look at the first BlazBlue game it didn't have a large roster but it was still a success for ASW.

TEKKEN 6 in my opinion was a disappointment and many others felt the same way. TTT2 was what a next gen TEKKEN game should've been but NAMCO was disappointed with its sales so a large roster doesn't automatically equal great sales. Another example is SFxT that game had a larger roster than SFIV but guess what it sure didn't outsell SFIV.

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 9, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

Yeah a large roster doesn't make a game great. Deep gameplay mechanics, fun-to-play characters, good character balance and visual/audio flavor make a fighting game great. The original BlazBlue and Smash Bros and Virtua Fighter and previous Dead or Alive games gad small rosters yet were really good games. Recent Tekkens have had outrageous amounts of characters but weren't all that good IMO. UMvC3 and SFxT have large character rosters but most characters aren't viable at all, same with MK9.

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

Lets be honest Microsoft is investing a lot of money in games in general and as ive stated fighting games just don't sell well so a fighting game from Microsoft isn't going to get the same treatment that say a game that's a system seller. I love fighting games there my favorite genre but lets not be in denial here thinking they hold a candle when it comes other genres.

I agree Microsoft wont support this game if the DLC but guess what it will because Microsoft will have a good amount of money to advertise this game which they will. This isn't going to be a sony Playstation all star battle royal situation. Microsoft is making an investment for a nice genre and if the game sells well then they'll make an even bigger investment.

The game being rushed is subjective because we don't know how much work has been put into the product so far. Ill put it this way we aren't getting everything we usually get from a full priced fighting game but were also not paying full price for this game. Do you also know how large the entire staff is for DH? From from what I know KOFXIII was pretty under staffed and underfunded yet they released a quality product.

To me a rushed game is something that is released as a full price game and features all the features of a finished game yet still lacks in aspects like gameplay. SFxT for example was made solid with the 2013 update yet some people feel that's what the game should've been from the start. Which made SFxT feel like a rushed game when it was initially released.

Whats the point of having a large roster if the majority of the cast isn't up to part small chunk of the cast. It completely makes the large roster pointless. When your playing a fighting game you want the character your using to be viable and if there not theres no real point in using them. Im pretty sure everyone knows that KI isn't being touted as a 60 dollar retail game which is why its not being sold as one.

So in the end I don't understand why it should be held to every standard as a 60 dollar retail game.

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 2:48 p.m.

Pretty much but TTT2 is a very solid fighting game that's balanced for having such a large roster. UMvC3 is one of those games that's tricky I don't think there will be a definitive tier list for a little while longer. That game still has new tech being found all the time.

KI in my opinion has all the beginnings of a great game when all is said in done. The gameplay has depth to it and lets face it the game looks/sounds great. The only real problem or hurdle I see is it being a console exclusive however Microsoft is wants that because people like me will buy an Xbox one first just because of exclusives like KI.

Exclusives is why we lots of us choose a console and its why I buy every console every gen.

hazelnut1112 said on November 9, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

Kinda makes sense. This game looks hella rushed. Releasing this on launch was a really bad idea. As well as releasing it on Xbone, they should have gone with a 360 release as well. The game runs at 720p so I think it wouldn't be a problem.

TheTHCGamer said on November 9, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

Its not just the game running at 720p but running at a full 60 FPS. With everything that's going on at the screen at once the 360 version could be noticeably inferior and no one wants that. Just look at KI when it was released on SNES Nintendo released it on a console that wasn't up to par and it was noticeably inferior.

I don't know how this game looks hell rushed lol its not 60 dollars and everything in the game so far looks great. There might be a possibility it could be released on PC in the future since more fighting games are finding there way onto PC that's a possibility but 360 no. In fact if a 360 version was released and it had lets say slowdown during the gameplay then it could make DH look bad.

marcushamster said on November 9, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

I'd rather wait for Killer Instinct's characters than wait for Squigly for the past 7 months. At least DH sounds more promising.

JesseRobles said on November 9, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

I wonder why such a long wait for them? I hope we don't have to wait till Christmas next year for season two. :S

godfist314 said on November 9, 2013 at 4:41 p.m.

Anything worth doing will be met with critciscm though the whole journey. Go Double Helix. Go hard. Show the world why you care about the FGC. Play hard. With a feeling. Play hard. You've got nothing to lose.

TrueGamingGuru said on November 9, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.

Speaking of Season Two wise. I heard that KI might do a beta program, for players to have early access of a character even ones that will be in Season Two. I heard it might be for people who bought the Ultra Pack only, for the early access of characters.

CosmiicJourney said on November 9, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.

I'm understanding the complaints. They didn't rush it by choice. They were given the green-light a year ago and were told to have something ready by launch. We knew this a year ago!!! So why not be impressed by what they've achieved in that time instead of whining?! Especially with all of the feedback they're taking from the players. I'm hella excited to play this game.

Focusflute said on November 9, 2013 at 9:41 p.m.

Coming as someone who as actually played the game at length at an Xbox One event:

I have to say I am more excited to own this fighter than I have been since Vanilla SF4. DH has really nailed down the feel of this game. I am astonished by what they have been able to do in such a short time considering the ridiculous timeline set by MS.

Knowing that this game is only going to grow over the years with content is really cool.

spman2099 said on November 10, 2013 at 12:51 a.m.

The game looks cool. I am sure it will play well. I would also bet that people will have a good time with it. But I wonder how long that will last with only six character... There are clearly not enough characters at launch. Many people have said it already, but it is definitely what could hold this game back. I know some people have tried to excuse this obvious deficit, but there really is no excuse for it. Six characters is not enough in a modern fighting game, it isn't even close. Still, I imagine it will have a full enough roster in two years when I am more likely to buy the system.

DOOMSDAY15RUS said on November 10, 2013 at 4:34 a.m.

only 8 characters and still not dry for the launch. To slow. NRS are the best

MINI said on November 10, 2013 at 8:03 a.m.

There is a video on YouTube showing that a 360 stick can be used.
Microsoft may change this down the line though..
I hope we can just stick to our 360 sticks.

TheTHCGamer said on November 10, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.

Yea they are you get even more rushed characters and bugs included with every character go NRS.

JMJ_X said on November 11, 2013 at 7:18 a.m.

your acting like its only gonna last for a month lol. Every game needs time and the other two characters are coming out a month or two later plus we have season 2 on the works so yeah.. This game is going to have some fire

spman2099 said on November 11, 2013 at 6:52 p.m.

Well, Spinal is going to be coming about two months after release (January) and Fulgore is about four months off (March). So yeah, that is a lot of time with a VERY small cast. With Fulgore being so far off I wouldn't expect season two to launch until the end of 2014.

DarkSado said on November 12, 2013 at 12:49 p.m.

Wow this game is hella rush.