Showing the FGC a ton of love - Mad Catz has sponsored over 300 events to date

Posted by Catalyst
November 5, 2013 at 9:52 p.m. PST

Since Mad Catz started sponsoring tournaments back in 2009, they've had a hand in helping over 300 events in the fighting game community.

Their support of the FGC isn't contained by boundaries on a map either, as they've sponsored events in countries around the globe — and helped out multiple fighting games scenes, regardless of their titles of choice.

From Street Fighter to Tekken, Mad Catz has backed a considerable amount of tournament games.

"We have a genuine interest in the fighting game scene, that's why [we] continue to support its players and events year after year," said Mad Catz's Mark Julio, better known in the scene as MarkMan.

You might think Mad Catz has offered this support because of the profits they bring in from all of the events they sponsor, but Julio painted a different picture.

Hit the jump to read on.

"Very rarely did we profit from supporting a tournament," said Julio "In the rare case that we did, we've always used it as fuel to give back more to the community."

"If it were about making money we would have left a long time ago, but it's not. It's about helping gaming grow as a whole," added Julio.

Mad Catz's support wasn't just reserved for the big guns like EVO, Super Battle Opera, official Capcom tournaments and the like, they also lent their aid to smaller tournaments that aren't as well known.

"[We] weren't limited to existing events, but helping up and coming events grow as well," said Julio.

So next time you're at an event, check over that sponsor list — because odds are you'll see Mad Catz's name some where.

And if you see MarkMan running around, make sure you show him some love for all he and Mad Catz have done for the FGC, or let him know on Twitter.

Comments

Catalyst said on November 5, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.

Because I know someone is going to try to accuse us of this at some point, I can assure you that no money (or anything else) changed hands because of this post.

Simply put, Mad Catz has done a TON of stuff for the community, and I wanted to take the time to acknowledge that and have MarkMan give a little background on what they've done.

MarkMan and Mad Catz deserves a ton of love and respect for what they've contributed to the FGC, and we just wanted to take the time to let the general public know some of their contributions, in case they weren't aware.

AugustAPC said on November 5, 2013 at 9:57 p.m.

I really appreciate MadCatz stepping up and giving the newly invigorated fighting community several great options with which to play their games as well as supporting events and helping to ensure that those of us who can't regularly make it to tournaments don't miss them.

There was once a time when the MadCatz brand was associated with poor quality third party peripherals... I can safely say that those days are LONG behind them. I love my MadCatz fightpads and sticks!

L_Z_N said on November 5, 2013 at 10:07 p.m.

Last weekend Mad Catz sponsored our major, Fight Fest 2013.

Thank you MCZ!

Sweet_Violence said on November 5, 2013 at 10:15 p.m.

When I'm watching a stream and someone who isn't big on the FGC sees "madcatz" they always say something about their former products being shoddy. I have to tell them that they're actually good now. It's good that they made such progress as I also used to avoid buying their stuff a few years back.
Good for them.

MarkMan said on November 5, 2013 at 10:16 p.m.

Thanks Eventhubs & everyone on here. We will try to do as much we can to further develop events/communities within the FGC no matter how big or small.

We've just started branching out more in EU, Asia/Japan and finally Latin America. We hope to be able to reach out to more events and support more scenes in the very near future.

If you really want to give someone some love, it's not me. You should give love to the leaders/organizers of your own local communities.

Give my bosses some love. Because they believe in what I do. Hit us up at http://twitter.com/MadCatz or http://facebook.com/MadCatzInc. We keep our ear to the streets, no matter which neighborhood.

KingKong said on November 5, 2013 at 10:28 p.m.

Thanks to Madcatz for helping the scene out. We need you.

caruga said on November 5, 2013 at 10:39 p.m.

Don't their fight pads still break easily though? Or are the x tekken pads better build quality?

iYohan said on November 5, 2013 at 10:42 p.m.

Too bad there isn't a feature to "like" the original post.

VxGEmpCollude said on November 5, 2013 at 10:49 p.m.

It's the least they could do considering that the majority of the FGC has purchased multiple versions of their ridiculously overpriced Sinlge Console compatable Arcade Sticks.

Spaghetti_Time said on November 5, 2013 at 10:58 p.m.

I've dropped mine numerous times and I've seen others toss and slam theirs, the resulting damage being a few scratches at worst. TE sticks may seem like a costly endeavor, but they're durable as hell and I use mine to play a lot of other games to get that "arcade" feel.

Love my TE sticks!

MarkMan said on November 5, 2013 at 10:59 p.m.

You are blind and ignorant to the fact that we cannot make sticks that work on multiple consoles. The companies that do so do them illegally by spoofing Microsoft's security chip.

I appreciate the fact that you feel entitled to our support, but I'll be straight up. We don't like supporting ignorance. That's why we do our research. I would ask for you to do the same. Thanks.

Aluppoj said on November 5, 2013 at 11:29 p.m.

Hey Mark.

Any new Fight Pads coming down the pipe?

I appreciate MCZ supporting the community. I show my appreciation by purchasing a TON of your products.

We pad players need some new tools.

So, thanks again. And are new pads coming out?

Xatsuna said on November 5, 2013 at 11:32 p.m.

The force is strong in this one. Yeah many ignorant people thinks they are the highlight of the day. Any chance you could get some developers to create a Star Wars fighting game? Just trying out my luck :)

DunnDeal said on November 6, 2013 at 12:07 a.m.

Good for MCZ

cinnamonjihad said on November 6, 2013 at 12:25 a.m.

MCZ is great. I can see that it's a love thing and not a money thing as the FGC isn't the most profitable group around. So thank you MCZ for your support of this group!

WorstGiefEVER said on November 6, 2013 at 12:27 a.m.

Mad Catz have done amazing things for us in Europe. I will always be grateful for what they have done and continue to do in our territories and others!

CaptainPlanet said on November 6, 2013 at 1:33 a.m.

Buying a Madcatz TE stick was one of the best choices I've made. And thanks for sponsoring tournaments. Hope to visit one someday.

VxGEmpCollude said on November 6, 2013 at 1:34 a.m.

I guess you're right... I didn't know what they were doing was "illegal" especially considering a company like MS hasn't taken any legal action against them.

That's fine though. I'll be blind and ignorant because at the end of the day I know I'm not as blind and ignorant as the people who think MadCatz sponsors these events out of the kindness in their hearts.

Spaghetti_Time said on November 6, 2013 at 2:07 a.m.

Of course, at the end of the day, profit is important. By being sponsors, they are able to constantly promote their products. But in being sponsors, it's helping the FGC out a lot.

Keep the generalizations to yourself and lighten up.

DaveNotti said on November 6, 2013 at 2:12 a.m.

Although I don't attend these events, as someone who begged of these kinds of things as a kid, I appreciate the contribution and involvement MCZ has had in the prolonging of the community. It's nice to see love shown, regardless of how popular they are. Fact of the matter is, they don't have to help in any capacity and yet, they do. That's something that deserves celebration for sure!

Even IF my MLG Pro Circuit controller HAS been deemed virtually useless due to the faulty sticks/parts...

To be fair, they've offered to fix/replace it for me. I just don't believe I should be the one to pay all the Shipping costs-BUT THAT BELIEVE THE POINT...

Thank you for your continued support!

...my controller tho

DaveNotti said on November 6, 2013 at 2:18 a.m.

*besides the point...

damn Galaxy SIV

originalhuman said on November 6, 2013 at 3:17 a.m.

thanks madcatz!

after years of making terrible accessories, they finally got it right!

time to run out and preorder my killer instinct fightstick!

tortonon said on November 6, 2013 at 3:18 a.m.

more than 300 events, and still not a single f*#@ is given to the brazilian fgc majors, even though people work like crazy around here to get sponsors to make it grow even bigger than it already is.

trinispartan said on November 6, 2013 at 4:17 a.m.

I truly appreciate all madcatz has done for the global scene but I would like to see the Caribbean get some love too. I mean vxg is fine and all but there is a huge untapped scene and market that needs your support.

edrigo said on November 6, 2013 at 5 a.m.

shoutouts to madcatz getting the best players out there to play some games.

GeneralSpecific said on November 6, 2013 at 5:09 a.m.

Thankyou Mad Catz. =]

ReddChief said on November 6, 2013 at 5:17 a.m.

Madcatz is the best and their sticks are the best that's why i have a collection of Madcatz fightsticks thx Madcatz

xShonuffx said on November 6, 2013 at 5:33 a.m.

Thank you Madcatz for everything you do. I still feel indifferent about the price of your recent stick your selling but You have done such an amazing job supporting the community. You probably don't remember me but I think I had a problem with a malfunctioning stick and you helped get me through to customer service and get it taken care of real fast. Many years ago of course. Just a note that that personal touch really has a lasting impression and goes a long way. Thank you.

PS Please do some promotions on the Xbox One KI stick? Thanks.

Azrael_VG said on November 6, 2013 at 6:21 a.m.

Much thanks to madcatz for helping the scene!! I always associate Madcatz with the FGC especially because of the sponsored players.

On this same note does Capcom give any monetary support to events? Just asking because I hardly see capcom on the sponsor lists and they are the one whose product is the focus of these events.

sarif2soon said on November 6, 2013 at 6:23 a.m.

Thanks MadCatz! Sponsor me when I get to Daigo level! :P

gammabolt17 said on November 6, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

I know this is really weird to post this here, but Xbox are sending people emails giving away Killer Instinct free for being longtime live supporters. I mean as in Season 1 is completely free.

TwoBears77 said on November 6, 2013 at 7:13 a.m.

Mad Catz has been a really good friend to the FGC, it's players and it's fans. I love their fightsticks and I thank them for their efforts.

xShonuffx said on November 6, 2013 at 7:14 a.m.

Emails? From where Xbox Live? or account emails?

LittleScumbag said on November 6, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.

honestly MadCatz deserves some love!!!
I DO use Qanba for now , but i promise my next stick is going to be MadCatz
(Although i am not sure they HAVE or CAN make a better stick than the Q4Raf model from Qanba i will deffinetly buy from them my next stick as soon as my curent breaks or something happens with it)

Reality2k said on November 6, 2013 at 7:39 a.m.

I really like what Madcatz is doing for the community but people need a reality check if they think companies that are driven by profit do things from the bottom of their heart and not to make money. Reminds me of people thinking Apple are altruistic gods while what happens behind the scene is the opposite. During this time they [Madcatz] have established themselves as the premier seller of accessories and probably the biggest sponsor etc also. They have also established credibility by using within scene names (like Markman) to further their product but it's not like it's he who designs the sticks he's a face. How many of you know about this guy?

Mr. Darren Richardson
Chief Executive Officer, President, Director,...
Age: 52Total Annual Compensation: $472.6K

Yeah, thought so. Anyways; All of this has allowed them to sell pretty much subpar products (better now!) during the SF4 boom and this will pay back 10 fold if E-sports ever happens or a new SF4 style game comes along. Once again, I love Markman and how involved they are in the FGC but I still don't see them as a seal of quality or exellence yet. They could start by improving the quality of streams / products they are involved in.

ForTheViolence said on November 6, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

Thank you based madcatz.

originalhuman said on November 6, 2013 at 8:17 a.m.

yeah, i got one this morning

gammabolt17 said on November 6, 2013 at 8:42 a.m.

They're emailing accounts associated with the gamertags. Giving away XB1 with Dr3, Zoo Tycoon, Ryse and Forza too. With Xbox Music card. I'm jealous as hell lol

gammabolt17 said on November 6, 2013 at 8:54 a.m.

Has NOTHING to do with what is being talked about here. Leave that shyt somewhere else.

@Dave Notti

happy to have that Galaxy huh? lmao

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.

Actually. I'd like to correct you on some things. I am not just a face here. I plan the sponsorships and help design the products. I don't just talk/represent the company.

I work directly with the community leaders/tournament organizers to help see how we can help.

I work directly with the game developers to help design/integrate their ideas into the products that we design.

Our design team for FGC stuff is very small, but we try to make it happen.

CEOJebailey said on November 6, 2013 at 9:31 a.m.

I love MarkMan and Mad Catz so much I even shaved my head for them!

Reality2k said on November 6, 2013 at 9:38 a.m.

Still doesn't change the fact that nobody at all knows who the president of the company you're representing even is or has seen a photo of him while people know about Harada and Ono and so on. That man who is a representative of a company who in this article is skewed to making choices of the kindness of his heart is making half a million dollars a year. The company exists cause of a will of profit and has responsiblity to shareholders. Period.

You have gone on record yourself Markman as to saying that the reason there are no tekkenplayers sponsored is that the community isn't big enough (I don't want to post the eventhubs interview) and you yourself are from the Tekken community. That in itself should show either how goal oriented towards profit (in the long run) the company is or how small your role is in things that really matter.

When it comes to design I'm sorry but every single modded stick out there probably has better design and graphics then madcatz sticks in general and if you're not talking about design when it comes to estaethics sticks etc are not only behind eightarc but every homebrew modder out there in function.

What is your role in "design" exactly and I'm not trolling here. You definatly don't design artwork so are you talking about what functions go into the sticks cause they are pretty bareboned and functionless honestly. What designchoices have Madcatz been the first with and not copied others? Doesn't the fact that your designteam for FGC being very small mean that you don't actually matter much as a further development of that trail of thought also?

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 9:38 a.m.

You shaved your head because you weren't good enough.

We love you and your event though.

guythissucks said on November 6, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

<3 Madcatz

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 10:03 a.m.

We don't directly sponsor that many players period. We only have a few.

Just because we don't support Tekken players directly (due to my reasons) doesn't mean we don't support Tekken events. I reach out to Tekken content creators and organizers on a regular basis to help support their events to help make them bigger. But then again, you're right, you don't see the behind the scenes stuff.

You don't have to apologize for your remarks. I don't need to explain design choices or what we do to you. As you may know (or may not know), we can't do dual modded sticks. Also, me going on to explain our features and original things we've done to help change the scene/help the scene will fall on deaf ears. If you really want to know and discuss further, you can email me or message me here. I'll be more than happy to tell you. I don't want to clutter up the comments area here.

---

Thanks everyone else for the comments <3

We will try our best to help out more.

BipolarTroll said on November 6, 2013 at 10:13 a.m.

Markman and Madcatz. Highest respect for you guys for supporting the FGC.

GenoScreams said on November 6, 2013 at 10:18 a.m.

If it wasn't for you and MadCatz I would've never gotten to see Haitani being completely ridiculous at TGS. What a terrible world that would be.

That was one of the only times I ever got to SEE a tournament that takes place in Japan. I woke up early to watch it and I wasn't disappointed. Hope I can see similar tournaments in the future.

Aluppoj said on November 6, 2013 at 10:40 a.m.

@Mark,

Please don't tell me you only respond to your critics.

I'm one of the biggest MCZ supporters. Any chance you could reply to my comment, and not only the people trashing you?

Anything new for Pad players to look forward to in the future from MCZ? Be as vague as you need to be.

Xatsuna said on November 6, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

What is seriously wrong with you people? What have Madcatz ever done to you or your family?

They are sponsoring players that are dedicated to the game and have proven themself that they deserve sponsorship. Madcatz are supporting gamers and in one day. Hoping we can become as big EUFA Champions League. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQwYLA...

Gaming are heading in the right direction. League Of Legends just got approved by the U.S government as athletes.

In order to become successfull you guys need to support the companies instead of trastalking them. The only income of madcatz is what they sell and what their stocks are worth. They dont earn money on players they sponsor. Infact if you try to do the maths you will realize they are losing alot of money sponsoring players and tournaments. They dont profit from it. The only thing that profits from this are the E-sport scene and not the sponsors themself.

What I like about Madcatz is that they are real sponsors. They are not a company that receives support from sponsors like EG. EG is not sponsoring players. EG is a organizations that have the supports of the sponsors and EG players are like freelancers. Just be happy Madcatz is around.

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

Hi there, I didn't reply initially because I don't have an answer for you right now, I apologize. We can't announce anything officially.

FightDirty said on November 6, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

MadCatz is running a business and like any business their goal is to make money. There is nothing wrong with that and it's the beauty of capitalism. More importantly, they do a lot to progress fighting games and the gaming community. It's a win-win if you ask me.

I ought to support these guys more and get more of their stuff. Really care about the FGC? Money talks.

Aluppoj said on November 6, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

Ok, thank you for the reply.

I can only hope you and your team will keep us Pad Warriors in mind moving forward.

Keep up the good work.

masang said on November 6, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

thank you very much Mad Catz for the wonderful support! sounds like the company is doing great, able to support all these events.

why is the pps $0.65 at the moment?!

please MarkMan, save me!! ...the holidays are coming and the only thing i want this year is a nice run up! =D

flairinmike said on November 6, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

Fair enough, but howcome 360 sticks work with KI on the XBone dev models, but are rumoured to be getting patched out so they don't work at launch?

Also, does the new TE2 for XBone have a mic jack or not? Don't worry-already on preorder, you guys always got my money!

Xatsuna said on November 6, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

Microsoft decides that and not Madcatz. If you want answer you should ask Microsoft.

trinispartan said on November 6, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

Mark I don't want to be a dick but could I have reply to my comment about the Caribbean scene? I mean ppl literally bleed to try to get to be a part of the global scene but we are treated like we don't exist. Or maybe the world Judy does not care for our "island tech".

Man i swear that apathy rains supreme.

AnhVuDo said on November 6, 2013 at 2:34 p.m.

I remember I used to HATE Madcatz. Ever since their reinvention I have nothing but pride in owning their product. I got eventually replaced all of my arcade sticks with their entire line-up.

sidney_E said on November 6, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

big thanks to Mad Catz for FINALLY making Korean Edition arcade sticks

flairinmike said on November 6, 2013 at 4:12 p.m.

It's already been asked, and answered both positively and negatively by microsoft tech support.
In terms of my main question, still waiting to hear back on whether I can plug headphones into the stick.

Clamper said on November 6, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

Markman, if you're still reading this please answer me:

You said before that we'd need a new stick for PS4. Sony recently said it's all up for the developers. What's the deal in the end ?

Turbojacke said on November 6, 2013 at 7:31 p.m.

Hey Markman,

the day i recieved my TE was one of my best.

Thanks.

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 9:58 p.m.

I honestly don't know what the deal is. At first we were told our products would not work. Then now we hear it is up to the developers. All I know is, they won't work plug and play. It has to be enabled. It's not up to us since our product was made prior to the PS4, obviously.

MarkMan said on November 6, 2013 at 10 p.m.

I talked to some of the community when I visited there during VxG. Though we didn't talk for long, I can definitely see the potential of the community and it's members on the islands. We eventually want to branch out and do more but we can only do so much with our current resources.

Aluppoj said on November 6, 2013 at 10:51 p.m.

It's great that you're fielding questions mark.

Thanks for jumping in and answering everyone.

You should consider a bimonthly Q/A.

Thanks again.

Stompnik said on November 7, 2013 at 2:17 a.m.

Seriously...thank you, Madcatz! I own 2 of your sticks and one Fightpad. The Fightpad needs improvement but your sticks never let me down. It always feels so great to use them after a longer break. It's like being home :D

masang said on November 8, 2013 at 7:45 a.m.

$0.45 pps at the moment of this posting. pps dropped over 30% overnight and resulted in a lot of panic selling.

bad quarterly earnings report. huge declines in sales for various products including the Kunai headsets you see on every stream.

i hope this picks up soon. Mad Catz seems to have a lot of fans and support. let's reflect that!

trinispartan said on November 11, 2013 at 3:10 a.m.

Understood. Don't worry I'll get something off the ground. In time you will have to take another look cuz were getting serious.