Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • November 1, 2013 at 11:07 a.m. PDT
Spinal's shield has magical, moving tentacles on it, players can swap out Jago's sword, Sabrewulf goes steam punk - IGN's Killer Instinct footage Yesterday, IGN brought Killer Instinct fans a metric ton of new information in the form of their live stream. We got to see Orchid in action for the first time, a teaser at the next character to be added in season 1, Spinal, and much more.

As a follow up, IGN put out their Rewind Theater video featuring Orchid's official combo trailer. Breaking down some of her attacks and moves we saw in the trailer, the rewind also pointed out something very interesting about Spinal. Apparently, his shield has these odd tentacle like extremities, that move around on their own.

According to the developers, Spinal's shield was envisioned to be from the mast of his ship, and with the magical looking runes that line it, we may see some very interesting move properties and gameplay from this character.

Additionally, the first Killer Instinct character accessories were shown off during the stream, and the footage of them in action is now live. Jago has an "ancient warrior" theme, and can actually equip different swords, Sabrewulf has a steam punk vibe going on, and Glacius dons a futuristic helmet with shoulder pads.

Hit the jump to check out the footage of the first shown Killer Instinct accessories in action, and let us know what you think about the wave of Killer Instinct info that has developed over the past two days.

Source: IGN.

Comments

Bakano said on November 1, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

This game...

sebmaq said on November 1, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

tenticles just makes me think of that weird Japanese anime prons

shinra358 said on November 1, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

So if only 1 character is left to be revealed, who's gonna be the last boss? How're you gonna have a fighting game without a last boss?

GodzOfTheArenaTV said on November 1, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

Can't wait to play this. Orchid looks and plays amazing. Spinal looks DOPE!!! From the looks of it, seems like Spinal has the mythical Kraken Shield.

gilley said on November 1, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

Spinal already has very interesting and unique gameplay, especially in KI2. Divekick, "Oil up", Teleports, Projectiles, Morphing Enders, Super Meter Steal/Absorb, etc. I'm hoping he doesn't get changed around too much for KI3 ala Chief Thunder and Glacius.

BlitzN said on November 1, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

Let's just assume the last boss is fight your rival.

fgclolz said on November 1, 2013 at 11:42 a.m.

Heh maybe they'll throw Eyedol in there before the game releases.

Pachendrix said on November 1, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

There's one PLAYABLE character left to be revealed. The final boss is well, THE FINAL BOSS. There's no rule in fighting games where the final boss has to be a playable character. More often than not, the final boss ain't part of the playable cast.

Besides they're most likely adding the whole KI cast via dlc (theres absolutely NO WAY they're leaving out T.J. Combo or Cinder, I won't mention Fulgore because we all know he's the 8th character). So if the boss is not an over the top, ridiculously over sized character (ala Galactus), you can expect it to become available eventually via dlc, along with maybe, just MAYBE, one or two new characters.

RunnersKnee said on November 1, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.

I agree, that's how it's been back in the day. I'd love for that to happen once again.

29once said on November 1, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Last boss could be Fulgore. He was the sub boss of previous games, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Pachendrix said on November 1, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

Yeah, I used to love it when the final boss were not playable so there's something fresh to see while playing arcade mode/story mode. But unfortunately with the lack of character variation in this game, we'll likely see the boss making the roster as playable in form of dlc. Which I really don't mind, but I do prefer them to be arcade/story mode exclusive.

BlitzN said on November 1, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

The only problem is making the character takes just as long as making a playable character. So there's no point in putting a unplayable boss in a game.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on November 1, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

Shadow Jago will be the fill in the blank boss till they release the arcade mode in half a year. Shadow Jago can also be played if you get day one xbox live membership.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on November 1, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

Shadow Jago. DH has been talking about him forever now. They should reveal him soon.

Pachendrix said on November 1, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

I thought Shadow Jago was merely an alternate costume.

mundaney said on November 1, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

What if the boss is Fulgore (unlockable ala Seth) and the last character is TJ Combo.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on November 1, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

No Sir different character completely. That's why I don't understand why everyone is saying we only have one more character reveal. Gotta get xbox live day one, that's 60 dollars. Way too expensive for an alternate color, or costume.

Don't take my word for it, head over to doublehelixgames.com/forums and see for yourself. We are chomping at the bit to see what Shadow Jago is all about.

Xul said on November 1, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

tokyobassist said on November 1, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

Shadow Jago will probably be story based. Jago's story in the second game that he's super pissed that he was manipulated by and worshipped the Tiger Spirit which in turn was Gargos hence why his temple is all jacked up.

I think in this game he snaps and might end up becoming the new antagonist. Considering this is a reboot of sorts and we haven't see a bad guy be a main character since Kazuya, I think this would be interesting.

rlt4life said on November 1, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

How attention deprived are you, seriously?

suprez said on November 1, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

I can feel the Heat...... Cinder will be the next revealed ?

NoizyChild said on November 1, 2013 at 1:06 p.m.

My first guess would be, "a lot".

giru017 said on November 1, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

I keep feeling that the damage is too low in this game... You combo into like 2 specials and it barley takes 1/8th of the lifebar.
Other than that, the game looks spectacular, shame that I don't plan on getting an XBone.

Kurow said on November 1, 2013 at 1:27 p.m.

There is not last boss. They clearly said that story mode or arcade mode is not going to be ready for the release date. They are going to add story mode and the boss later with the release of the last 2 characters.

SpellcraftQuill said on November 1, 2013 at 2:24 p.m.

Cinder was only in the first game and not even in the Gameboy port but the final boss may be an Eyedol or Gargos possessed Fulgore if there even is one. This would probably mean a normal Fulgore will be DLC.

TheTHCGamer said on November 1, 2013 at 2:31 p.m.

Id rather play the new KI over KI2 any day.

BlitzN said on November 1, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

??? $60 is what Xbox live cost so that's not like their charging you anything for shadow jago. I just assumed it was a fancy skin.

Xul said on November 1, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

rlt4life said on November 1, 2013 at 4:05 p.m.

An fgc clone? Wat.

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 1, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

@Pachendrix
Cinder is going to be the 8th and final Season 1 character excluding Shadow Jago who at launch will be exclusive to those who purchase an annual Xbox Live Gold account. Fulgore is most likely going to be the free-to-play character for Season 2 like Jago for Season 1.

We won't see Eyedol in Season 1 because they haven't made a story mode yet, and of I remember correctly I read an article where DH stated they wouldn't add Eyedol to the roster until all of the non-boss characters were made playable (sorry I cannot prove this with a source, but I am sure I have read this many months ago, so things may have changed since then.)

Lemme break it down.
Launch - Jago (f2p), Shadow Jago (if purchased 12 months of XBL:G), Sabrewulf, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira, Orchid

February-March 2014 - Spinal & Cinder

November 2014 - Fulgore (f2p), "Shadow Fulgore" (for purchase of a second 12-months of XBL:G), Riptor, TJ Combo, Tusk, Maya, Kim Wu, 2 new characters

So just for owning an XB1 you get access to Jago and Fulgore plus their respective stages (and training stage too) all for free. Pretty cool.

qcevolution said on November 1, 2013 at 5:18 p.m.

You forgot to mention that the free to play character rotates out every few weeks ala League of Legends so that everybody will get a chance to sample each character

iMTopTier said on November 1, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

but it is 1 character left for season 1

iMTopTier said on November 1, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

the 8th character for season 1 is Fulgore not Cinder

KingBlackToof said on November 1, 2013 at 7:04 p.m.

If this game hits off, I think DoubleHelix should take a page out of Dota 2's books. These different Swords, Shields, Goggles, Capes sound like they would exactly benefit from a STEAM workshop type of community creation.

I'm not sure how the community would feel about it but to me sounds awesome and can only improve a game if well quality controlled.
(Users gain money from sales, DoubleHelix takes a %. Community get a nice source of costume pieces.)

The only downside I can imagine folks complaining about is paying for costumes which seems to be a thing the FGC doesn't like.
Also there would have to be a system of everyone has to download these items, even when not purchased so your opponent who has brought them can show them off.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on November 1, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.

It's cool daddy I wasn't talking at you out the side of my neck. I was just trying to spread what little knowledge I had so far.

Joseph said on November 1, 2013 at 8:17 p.m.

You're probably looking at the combos without enders. When you end your combos properly you'll get 20-30% easy.

GenSoHotSpicy said on November 1, 2013 at 8:26 p.m.

@iMTopTier
Explain the pin from the "Pinultimate Edition" then. It sure looks like it represents Cinder a lot more than Fulgore. I am also pretty sure Fulgore sure is being saved to headline Season 2. Cinder's nowhere near as a sell as Fulgore is and this is coming from a person whose favorite KI character is Cinder.

I wish Fulgore would be included in Season 1 but from the evidence I have seen it doesn't look likely.

Joseph said on November 1, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

DR WULF IN DA HOUSE!

Dimensional said on November 2, 2013 at 12:22 a.m.

Magical moving tentacles oh you Japanese you...oh wait.

rosy said on November 3, 2013 at 2:21 a.m.

I think the damage is pretty high cause one of the match, they can end 3 rounds fight in 99 timer O_O