Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • May 29, 2013 at 7:45 a.m. PDT
Xian recalls odd instances of PS3 Home screen appearing during tournament matches - prepping Gen for EVO, playing around with Oni as well During many official tournament matches, it is not uncommon for players to accidentally hit the Start or Home buttons on their controllers and interrupt the action. When this occurs it usually results in the other player gaining an automatic win or both players mutually agreeing to continue.

Sometimes, however, it seems as though these Home screens and Start menus come entirely out of nowhere. DM|Xian recently posted an entry on his blog that recalls an odd occurrence at a Kuwait tournament where the PS3 Home screen, (that which appears as a result of holding down the Home button for a bit), randomly appeared during a match.

Below is a snip from his blog that tells the tale.

It finally happened the first time to me in a tournament. I was playing against Aziz from Kuwait when I got stunned by his Cammy. I wasn't struggling and halfway through his combo, pause came out. It was the black screen (when you need to hold on to the PS3 Home button for about 2 seconds). I was like, "oh, it's OK. You can continue". Then I realized, "OMG. It's me who pressed the home button -_-". Kinda embarrassing but I just continued to let Aziz hit me to death for that round since I was already almost dead.

Then something came up to my mind. How the hell did I press or even hold on the Home button when I was not even struggling or pressing anything? The worst part was, even if I really accidentally touched the Home button, it should come out as the transparent screen section (where you can sign in and pick games). It definitely shouldn't be this black screen with controlling settings because that's kinda impossible for somebody to hold on Home button while getting hit.

Hit the jump to read on.

Based upon Xian's words above, the appearance of the Home screen was highly improbable and may have come about due to an external wireless controller trying to connect to another PS3 console or perhaps a problem with his arcade stick.

Xian ended his blog entry with a brief, yet intriguing note saying that he is currently prepping his Gen for EVO 2013 and that he recently picked up Oni.

Preparing my Gen for EVO as well.
Playing around a lot with Oni as well. It was fun :)

What do you think may be the cause of random Home screens popping up and interrupting tournament matches? With Xian now playing Oni, do you think we'll see him unveiled in tournament play any time soon?

Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

Tensa said on May 29, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

Wow I've been playing ps3 since 08 an haven't had this issue anyways can't wait to see how well Xian does at EVO this year.

GakoTheChef said on May 29, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

Maybe his stick malfuntion because i've never heard of this problem EVER in all my years of being a ps3 owner and reading comments on gaming websites

Dark_Pinoy said on May 29, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.

Yeah that is kind of weird. They should really start putting hand cams during tournaments so they can make sure who paused it. Would make it a lot easier. Maybe record it with a 5 second video delay so the people watching can see.

Rahavic said on May 29, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.

Now stick malfunctions are PS3's fault. I bet world hunger is too. Had one since week 1 never had this happen, period.

delirium said on May 29, 2013 at 8 a.m.

Not familiar with PS3, but couldn't a wireless controller from another match have caused that to happen?

lvk96 said on May 29, 2013 at 8:01 a.m.

PS3 - Da final boss

Oroku_Saki said on May 29, 2013 at 8:05 a.m.

This has happened to me, multiple PS3s were in the room at all times. I'm sure it's due to the wireless controllers.
After I got rid of all the wireless controllers in my house, this never occurred again. My friends come over to play, so that was most definitely the source for me.

WeEsportsNow said on May 29, 2013 at 8:05 a.m.

Atax1s said on May 29, 2013 at 8:17 a.m.

I've also seen it happen on heavily used consoles. At the local spot I go to it happened to multiple people with different sticks on this one particular PS3. It's really unfortunate to have happen in a tourney setting and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it happen at some point during evo

Cyclops said on May 29, 2013 at 8:18 a.m.

never happened to me

JumpMan33 said on May 29, 2013 at 8:18 a.m.

ban wireless controllers at t.... wait they already are banned. I guess people don't know there is a tiny button on the back of the ps3 controller that resets it to the factory settings.

GoSpeed said on May 29, 2013 at 8:20 a.m.

im a ps3 owner and fan i admit xbox probably does have better online but i wanted a bluray player and free online even though 50 a year is cheap i dont feel like paying that while the competition is free. but it seems like there is some kinda big sony ps3 conspiracy going on right now with all these sudden complaints. like when the priest molests the kid and then like 26 other kids come out and say the same thing

ReddChief said on May 29, 2013 at 8:24 a.m.

How does 1 defected console or stick makes them all defects stop using old overheated crappy consoles im still waiting to see this slow downs on PS3 because i haven't seen it yet or at a tournament

smiffl said on May 29, 2013 at 8:33 a.m.

This stuff is getting ridiculous. We are really now blaming the ps3 for controller issues now?

jason24cf said on May 29, 2013 at 8:36 a.m.

This error occurs when multiple controls are synced to the system.

blzd said on May 29, 2013 at 8:44 a.m.

lmao

Rahavic said on May 29, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.

Great article. Guess theres no artwork or figurines for today.

Sasuga said on May 29, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

Someone on a wireless controller wanted Xian to lose the match?

zUkUu said on May 29, 2013 at 9:03 a.m.

Yep, someone else with a wireless controller.

doomOVER9000 said on May 29, 2013 at 9:16 a.m.

JCrest87 said on May 29, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.

The FGC and their PS3 bitching I swear. I get the slowdown being the issue, but now they're just making stupid excuses. Ive had a PS3 since it was a released and I play tons of fighting games on stick as well and have never had this issue. If it goes to Home screen its your fault as far as Im concerned.

BigFleccs said on May 29, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

I wouldn't doubt it. It's not like the ps3 is perfect. I can remember my controller "cutting off" in matches. That's why I switched to te much better. Te is not perfect. Sometimes I focus and no focus come out minor bugs/kinks. In a tourney I would use the lock feature, but still sometimes random sht happens. I use to think I was "busting thru" people's block (unblockables) I was naive and thought there's always a way out as long as you have enough health to take a chip damage.

knuckles11 said on May 29, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

What we have here is definitely a controller problem (IMO)... Most of the guys who played there where using stick and pad (cabled).well the ones shown in the stream ... Good luck Xian in EVO !!!

BigFleccs said on May 29, 2013 at 9:26 a.m.

ONI with Xian execution unstoppable.

MALDA_IS_BACK said on May 29, 2013 at 9:31 a.m.

It seems to me the xbox is the more better option for fighting games.

Bulletwithbatwings said on May 29, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.

This is ridiculous PS3 hate that doesn't deserve an article. I've had faulty controllers on XBox and PS3, and I've had both since launch. If anything I lost more money on defective Xbox consoles, controllers, etc.
I suspect his controller was leaning up against something that caused the button to be pressed.

Ice9 said on May 29, 2013 at 9:48 a.m.

@DreamKing23

Xian's controller was a counterfeit, end of story. There is absolutely no reason to stretch the issue further than that.

This issue and a handful of others are VERY well known to occur with counterfeits all the time. People who have bought authentic-looking controllers (regardless of respective console) tend to go a while before noticing issues or just have the controller defective on day one. Usually the home menu/black screen drop-down occurs or controllers de-sync with fakes if the controller in itself has been just wiggled enough the right way. It's far more noticeable when playing fighting games just due to the inputs often rattling the controllers.

You would be surprised how many knock-offs come close to resembling the genuine article. Nowadays they're -nearly- completely undetectable, even to pros.

It's not at all a new problem. All tourney hosters need to do is have a referee/judge/whoever to perform controller checks for authentics/counterfeits before people start their matches.

Bojann said on May 29, 2013 at 9:50 a.m.

Maybe he modified his Arcade josytick? This things can happen if you do that.

Ice9 said on May 29, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

Although, if he was using an arcade stick instead of a first-party pad, then there's no way of knowing what caused it and this article is a waste of time as Sony does not make Arcade Sticks for PS3.

y_u_mash_brah said on May 29, 2013 at 10:07 a.m.

lol when did fgc become a home for sony fan boys, it happened to him end of decision. Also ps3 has slow down. Deal with it.

Sanox said on May 29, 2013 at 10:23 a.m.

controller malfunction better blame the console

de_dust2 said on May 29, 2013 at 10:25 a.m.

really eventhubs? This is a really stupid article. I'm going to reactivate my add blocker just out of spite.

Evilhero said on May 29, 2013 at 10:25 a.m.

Has happened to me quite a few times, glad to hear it's not just me. I am playing on a modded arcade stick, but it never happens to me on 360, so I just play on that for the most part.

lol wow, look at all the Sony fan boy hate.

RedRapperSux said on May 29, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.

Controller malfunction or somebody with a wireless PS3 controller. As far as myself, it has not happened to me once while playing on PS3.

jason24cf said on May 29, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.

@ice Xian is a Mad Catz sponsored player. How is he using a countefit controller? As I stated in another post. The PS3's has had issues when multiple controllers are synced or connected to the PS3. At tournaments multiple controllers can be plugged in to one console. Look at how many streams had pauses in action due to this issue. I have seen it happen about a hand full of times in person as well as stream. Its a PS3 issue.

doomOVER9000 said on May 29, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.

TwoCoins said on May 29, 2013 at 10:46 a.m.

How is it a ps3 issue? Arent Wireless against the rules for majority tournies? For this very same reason.

Jaaj301 said on May 29, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.

I don't know if it's related in some way to this issue, but sometimes my controller randomly turns off while I play. I noticed it only does it when it's connected to the PS3 through the USB cable, so I'm not sure whether if it's the console, the controller or the cable.

But since every tournament requires you to connect the controller through USB, the problem might even be the cable and not the console.

Eye_of_Orochi said on May 29, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

@ Oroku_Saki

That has happened to me as well

Ice9 said on May 29, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

@jason24cf

He said it was his controller, not another person's.
"Then I realized, 'OMG. It's me who pressed the home button' "

That shoots down the possibility of another's controller being connected coming into play. Furthermore, the max number of controllers that a PS3 can have synced at any one time is seven. Newer controllers that get synched cause the earliest or most recent controllers before it to shut off automatically specifically to counter these types of issues, so it's literally impossible for there to be some unknown hardware fault at play. You can continue suggesting that there is, but this would still be after 7 years straight of such a problem having never occurred before until now, which is implausible to the extreme.

Whether or not he's with madcatz, the specific make and model of controller he used at the time needs to be identified. As of now, the position of the home button, how he was holding the controller at that time and the design integrity of the controller are unknown factors. You cannot make a proper assumption of anything without having these factors known.

Not all controllers/arcade sticks follow the same precise design or button layout and this is paramount. To say nothing of comparing construction quality of sticks/controllers(or counterfeits) whether they be Hori or Madcatz, the way the player holds the stick/controller (table, rested on lap, rested between thighs/lap, elevated on shin/shoe hazard, cross-handed on desk) and whether or not the controller is corded/wireless plays a major factor in when and how accidental button presses occur.

Again. He stated that it was his controller. He's not confirmed that the controller of his was first party and he's only stated that he did not recall pressing the button.

You could ignore that he's sponsored and these statements will still be just as imperative. What matters is that he make clear those things or else it's just a story of how he just messed up as he could easily been unaware of some outside factor interfering with his home button. Simply put, Pro players ordinarily don't bother looking at the controllers as their eyes should be on screen at all times.

TwoCoins said on May 29, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

Also MadCatz controllers have been producing better quality sticks as of late, but they aren't perfect by any means. My Madcats stick home button doesn't even work. So there you go. Then it's also the possibility of Xian modding his stick as well.

PatriciaBau25 said on May 29, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.

BumblebeeCody said on May 29, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

Meanwhile at the back of the EVO room, a stream monster has a PS3 remote and is spamming the home button. #Kappa

Ice9 said on May 29, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

@TwoCoins
Which is kinda why I'm not commenting about quality. Madcatz might've had shoddy product a few years back compared to Hori, but I really don't bother with products other than first-party. Because of this, I don't know if Madcatz is as abysmal as they used to be around the Gamecube/PS2 era.

I know that the one statement he made ("-even if I really accidentally touched the Home button-) is a wide-open target for figuring that his home button just got stuck in the depressed position, but I've been trying to avoid pointing that out to see just how many people would ignore/not notice it and jump to expose their console biases and blame things that can't realistically happen.

AnbuBardock said on May 29, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

flairinmike said on May 29, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.

Definitely not just a Sony thing. There's always some guy who shows up for his first tourney whining about not being able to use his wireless pad/stick. Ought to be a fair way to reset matches in this circumstance though...

iMTopTier said on May 29, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.

that has never happened to me and i play on Ps3

they gotta see if somebody has a wireless controller that still connected to the console

Yousend said on May 29, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

Reading the comments, it seems to me like I'm the only one who didn't read this as a "PS3 is bad" blog post, but rather a "This weird thing happened to me that I called BS when others pretended it was someone else who pressed the button. Guess it actually happens after all". I don't go to tournaments, but maybe this happens more frequently on PS3 because people who go to tournaments on with xbox controllers use the wired controller instead of the wireless one.

RedEther said on May 29, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

@33 Oh look a badass I better go hide somewhere.

Agent_Ecks said on May 29, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

Its not the system is the controllers and arcade sticks top players borrow. Top players need to bring their own equipment to tournaments and stop being slouches. Its sickening to watch.

Isshun_Sengeki said on May 29, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

Paying for online service doesn't mean it's better just means you're suckers to make easy money on and capcom is lazy at developing for the ps3 and they need to take notes from namco

balance said on May 29, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

Never happened to me or anyone I've ever known,

Existent said on May 29, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

Stop trying so hard.

Daedae22 said on May 29, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.

Relax PS fan boys your console is just inferior for fighting games deal with it. 3 frames of input lag, frame rate drops, and multiple controller sync errors are not the sorta thing that should be acceptable in a competitive atmosphere. Doesn't mean you cant sit at home and enjoy your... whatever it is you PlayStation people enjoy. I wouldn't know my PS3 just collects dust sometimes I even forget it's there tbh.

FREE1UP said on May 29, 2013 at 3:48 p.m.

I've had a PS3 controller that took a bad hit on the floor which afterwards triggered the home screen nearly each time I hit df on the D-Pad. I assume its the stick or controller he's using.

A4headedninja said on May 29, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

I have both the xbox and ps3 and i believe that both systems have there pros and cons. With tha being said ive never experienced let alone heard of this ever happening. I think the arcade stick was the reason.

mvegetam said on May 29, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

@55 Of course we are enjoying our ps3.. after all it sold more than the xbox 360
And the ps4 is looking to eat the xbox 'done' in one bite..

Kappa !#!

thf24 said on May 29, 2013 at 5:18 p.m.

Obviously an isolated incident and probably not console-related, yet the PS3 defense squad apparently feels the need to assemble and scream at people anyway.

mvegetam said on May 29, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

@59 it's more like poeple feel the need to complain about the ps3 as evidenced by the many articles on eventhubs!!!

and by the way my comment @55 was just to show that there is a lot of poeple actualy enjoy their ps3 instead of being a ps3 fanboy.. I f***ing hate console fanboys

Jayson619 said on May 29, 2013 at 6:11 p.m.

Can't believe another fanboy siding for a change to the crappy Xbox.

HooliganComboFTW said on May 29, 2013 at 6:17 p.m.

LOL these kinds of articles is such bait for the PS3/360 fanboys to come out of the woodworks to compare their E-dicks

DesuBlade said on May 30, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.

EMPS3 strikes again!

mvegetam said on May 30, 2013 at 3:06 a.m.

@62 I completely agree with you.. Thats why i hate these kind of articles

TheDeadTexan said on May 30, 2013 at 5:02 p.m.

It's a shame that finishing public school wasn't the more better option for you.