Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • May 26, 2013 at 4:48 p.m. PDT
First Fatality was discovered and performed by 12 year old boy during original Mortal Kombat location test With the 21st anniversary of the original Mortal Kombat's release coming up next month, we thought it would be interesting to share with you an article written by MK co-creator John Tobias last year during the 20th anniversary. Tobias shares a story about the very first weekend location test for the original Mortal Kombat game and talks about how players responded to it in the Time Square Arcade located in Chicago, Illinois.

Among the bevy of interesting tidbits Tobias speaks on in this article, he recalls an eager 12 - 13 year old boy who actually discovered one of the Fatalities in the game. This hidden move was found during the weekend location test and was the first of its kind to be performed by the public.

Below is a bit to get you started but be sure to read the full post over on John Tobias' blog here.

Inside the arcade, I turned my attention back to the Mortal Kombat machine, and tried to observe the players inconspicuously. But, one of them recognized me from the day before. The pesky kid was about 12 or 13 years-old and it would’ve seemed odd for him to be out so late on a Sunday night had it not been for the Bulls’ victory. He quickly peppered me with questions—he found one of Mortal Kombat’s hidden Fatality moves and wanted to know if it was a random occurrence or if he did something to make it happen.

He had no money and when not on his knees scavenging for tokens, he would stand at the ready and wait for another player to win a match and then step in and attack the game’s controls to try and recreate what he had seen earlier.

I was surprised that a Fatality had been discovered so quickly. None of the other players believed him and I wouldn’t confirm that what he had seen even existed, which prompted him to out me as one of the game’s makers. I don’t know what people thought a videogame designer looked like back then, but apparently I did not look like one. The other players took one look at me and laughed it off.

Tip by Ryukenden.

Comments

TheTHCGamer said on May 26, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

Ha funny little story and poor kid no one believed him.

disp said on May 26, 2013 at 5:56 p.m.

Little Jimmy.

Pachendrix said on May 26, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

Damn, so with MK's 21st anniversary coming, more an more it seems like Scorpion is indeed gonna be part of Injustice (to celebrate the anniversary). FailFish

MentalFloss said on May 26, 2013 at 6:19 p.m.

My first thought on this was, "wow what an a$$hole." lol

YumaTsukumo said on May 26, 2013 at 7:02 p.m.

Cant wait for Scorpion in Injustice!!! although he could be replaced with someone in the DC universe

Smorgasboard said on May 26, 2013 at 7:39 p.m.

Poor kid. That memory probably haunted him for life.

spectaa said on May 26, 2013 at 9:05 p.m.

Ex_Ein said on May 27, 2013 at 12:27 a.m.

I know that kid laughed back when Fatalities were confirmed and Tobias came out as a face of MK

BillyBob said on May 27, 2013 at 7:15 a.m.

It ain't about who laughs first but who laughs last!

Sasuga said on May 27, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

Lol. I was 12 when the game came out.

Igydigital said on May 27, 2013 at 4:09 p.m.

How cute. Teach the youth how to brutally kill.. Lol I was 12 also. Didn't see the harm untill now though ..

TheMasterPlayer said on May 27, 2013 at 5:49 p.m.

Ah, Mortal Kombat. I remember wanting to play this game so bad when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I had no money and too scared to play with the teenagers back then,lol.