Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 3, 2013 at 11:40 a.m. PDT
Sven: I think we'll see less 'straight ports' in the digital space in the future - update on PSN CvS2 and more Capcom will likely be shying away from doing what they termed as 'straight ports' of fighting games in the future, Christian Svensson said on the official Capcom forums. He noted that feedback from their December digital survey, plus a recent trend in sales, has shown them that fans don't want just 'straight ports' of their titles, like how Darkstalkers Resurrection and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, among others, turned out.

Subjects covered also include updates of digital versions of their fighters on PSN, including Capcom vs. SNK 2, PC sales numbers and if Tatsunoko vs. Capcom will see an e-Shop release. Hit the jump to read everything.

R.Case: I heard that you are going to slow down on making HD ports of fighting games, so does that mean you might try and look into doing HD ports of other genres and franchises?

Svensson: I'd think "straight ports" we'll see less of in the digital space in the future. That was one of the key points we took away in the verbatims of the digital survey we did in December (and what our recent sales trends are telling us too).

Beyond that, I'm not prepared to provide additional details at this time.

Gohan16ken: Is CFJ still coming to the US PSN? If so, when?

Sven: Capcom Fighting Jam is approved by Sony FQA, but I'm not sure of status or launch time frame.

Gohan16ken: Is CvS2 still on track to come to the US PSN by the end of April? I know that Sony can change it.

Sven: CVS2 still supposed to happen. Code is all approved by Sony FQA. It's now awaiting legal clearance from Capcom Japan to finalize the deal with SNK. Now before you ask "hey it's out in Japan, that deal must be done already"... evidently, that deal didn't include territories outside Japan originally, so they have to go back and get them added before it can be released.

Gohan16ken: Is SFxT still on track to come to PSN? If so, when? Originally, you said it would be there by March 31, 2013.

Sven: SFxT is still happening. I don't know ETA. Qloc is doing the changes to source code and resubmission. We've been keeping them busy with other projects so I'm sure it's been sitting on the back burner until they've got some resources.

Gohan16ken: Why is UMvC3 no longer coming to the PSN? What has stopped the development? Usually, when Capcom does not re-release a PS3 retail game to the PSN it means an update to the game is in the works (MvC3, SF4, and SSF4).

Sven: For UMVC3, there isn't a lot of time left in the term of the current agreement.

Giraffe Man: Dark Souls PC version sold over 300,000 copies, what about Capcom games? Has any Capcom PC games, like Street Fighter 4, had this kind of sales success?

Sven: Nope. Not that level of success yet.

Yassar: Is there any chance of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom being re-released either as a download for the E-shop or on disc? I know the rights have lapsed, but if there is a demand for it, will you consider it?

Sven: There's no plans I'm aware of and as you point it, it would mean Capcom Japan amending the prior agreement or creating a new one as well as potentially new development, unless Nintendo at some point has plans to release Wii ISOs digitally (which I'm not aware of happening).

Sorry but it feels like a long shot to me any time soon.

Source: Capcom Forums.

Comments

PIMPIzzI said on May 3, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

dat morrigan

iMTopTier said on May 3, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

and there's still excuses about UMvC3 wow not surprised

the rest is good to hear

Clamper said on May 3, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

I hope they port UMVC3 and AE 2014 (or whatever) for PS4 since it wont be retro-compatible. I dont want to keep a system only for 2 games.

Vergil_Too_Strong said on May 3, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

Part 3 Kappa

sbuhtneve_sux said on May 3, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

deathclown said on May 3, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.

right on !! dat morrigan thumbnail

flippertron5k said on May 3, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

Dood I have a problem with this...and it's in my pants. That Morrigan!

Murdurus said on May 3, 2013 at 12:05 p.m.

I'm not surprised Dark Souls did better than SF4. Dark Souls is a non-competitive 'casual' game, albeit frustrating. (Semi)Competitive players who have a console and a PC wouldn't buy SF4 for PC because it came out earlier on Xbox and PS3 and those who buy a second copy are mostly because of convenience. You can't really compare the two games since they are of different genre. Also, having to keep in mind that because most people flock to consoles due to early release for fighting games, there is a HUGE difference in the amount of players playing them on their online networks. Even though I don't own a console, if I did, I wouldn't get it on PC either since there aren't many people on playing. It's those two factors that cause PC sales to not do as well because the problem compounds itself.

I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again, until they release their games on all 3 platforms at the same time, there's no way to get a good idea of how well the sales do for PC. It probably won't happen but I bet if GFWL was able to cross-platform play with Xbox Live, there would be a jump in sales. Still don't know why it's not possible since they're both Microsoft *roll eyes*.

BlackMasamune said on May 3, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

So you're saying there's chance?

Crondizzle said on May 3, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Dibz said on May 3, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

Always had faith in a DS4 but after all this, theres the nail on the coffin

zombiebrian said on May 3, 2013 at 12:19 p.m.

+1 for the image cat

gigantor21 said on May 3, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

@8 - Dark Souls casual? That still sounds ridiculous even if you put it in quotes.

Also, their shying away from ports is a good thing IMO. I'd rather they focus more on actual sequels or entirely new games.

Caliban said on May 3, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.

so no cvs2 arcade port, good stuff capcom. lets just rule out the 2d fighters all at once.

rakuko said on May 3, 2013 at 12:42 p.m.

dat Ark artwork.

DarkRyu94 said on May 3, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

Christ Capcom Japan sales projections for games like JoJo's and Darkstalkers must be soaring
I mean they are both great games but cmon guys they are a niche audience.
Its like releasing Limbo and expecting it to shift 6 million downloads and be the ultimate success

Ermapume said on May 3, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

I...I'm sorry Sven. What were you saying again? I was distracted by some important...by some laundry-er...by boobs.

goku16ryu said on May 3, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

Kazuya989 said on May 3, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

Hope this doesn't have a 3 frame lag like all the other PS2 games that have been ported to PSN.

Dmez said on May 3, 2013 at 12:55 p.m.

That thumbnail 0_0

breveglieri said on May 3, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.

In case someone is looking for the full image of that thumbnail:

Rigby said on May 3, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

breveglieri thank you, kind sir.

gammabolt17 said on May 3, 2013 at 1:11 p.m.

WOW I laughed pretty hard at that.

illness690 said on May 3, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

shinra358 said on May 3, 2013 at 1:21 p.m.

Lemme guess, Shin Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Ultimate Rugal will be dlc characters while the custom color editor is removed and we would have to pay for different colors as dlc......

No thanks, I'll keep my complete PS2 version of CvS2 xD

Chunners said on May 3, 2013 at 2:16 p.m.

With the recent flood of fighting games I could have told you Darkstalkers is a title that wouldn't move, beyond the relatively small niche of hardcore players/fans that want it.

Chryo said on May 3, 2013 at 2:16 p.m.

Dark Souls is a casual game.

You learn something new every day from the Eventhubs community. Thank you for that.

Jamal_Troll said on May 3, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.

Lol I laughed at that 'Dark Souls is casual' comment

analogos said on May 3, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

dark souls has a pretty big competitive scene.

gohan16ken said on May 3, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

@goku16ryu, huh? I do not get it!

Also, are you making fun of my user name and profile picture?

goku16ryu said on May 3, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

yoshisixtyfour said on May 3, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

lol goku16ryu! ><
Also where CvS2 #BibleThump

gohan16ken said on May 3, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

@goku16ryu, why are you writing like that? Why not write in proper english?

Oroku_Saki said on May 3, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

Dark Souls was such a short and exciting game, filled with lore. I hope Dark Souls 2 is packed with even more awesome.

Ermapume said on May 3, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

@Oroku_Saki
Will always be a solid series. I just hope they don't refer to a potential third game as "Dark Souls 2", a.k.a. a sequel to a sequel.

goku16ryu said on May 3, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.

gohan16ken said on May 3, 2013 at 6:08 p.m.

@goku16ryu, I am not sure what you are trying to pull. Either you are someone who knows me in the real world or someone with a lot of time on their hand to research and copy me.

goku16ryu said on May 3, 2013 at 6:22 p.m.

jrmetalhead1996 said on May 3, 2013 at 6:51 p.m.

dat Morrigan pic...

chipndip said on May 3, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.

Between Gohan and Goku...the fk is this?

Also, great. No more re-releases. Now people can stop getting butt-hurt about moldy-oldy series that aren't relevant anymore. In a day and age where taking risks is far more dangerous to game developers than any gamer gives credit for, don't just count it as the final nail in the coffin for games like Dark Stalkers. Count it as such for ANY old series that's questionable in today's market.

You know..."speaking with your wallet". >_>

casper_ said on May 4, 2013 at 12:41 a.m.

@42 you say that with so much glee but i wouldn't be surprised if the increase in risk has negatively effected the future of capcom titles that aren't "moldy-oldy" as well seeing as how UMvC3/SFxT underperformed. instead of being condescending to the people who's interest aren't your own you should probably be worrying that capcom might not produce another SF (or any big budget fighting game for that matter) in the next couple years.

illness690 said on May 4, 2013 at 9:38 a.m.

Oroku_Saki said on May 4, 2013 at 10:03 a.m.

@ #37 Ermapume:
Erm...Dark Souls II was announced last year.
It has an awesome CG trailer, and really seems like it will pack in the awesome, especially storyline wise,
and as it's a direct sequel, it' should most likely explain why there are still Undead walking around.

Ermapume said on May 4, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.

So much for avoiding ambiguous titles.

MaysTheCraze said on May 4, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

I wouldn't mind buffs or nerfs to certain older games they release again, like MvC2 for instance. I always found it funny that they rereleased the game knowing most of the cast was almost useless against five characters.

Imonk036 said on May 4, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

They need to quit porting games and start making Street Fighter V