Posted by SFilp • March 19, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. PDT
Capcom vs. SNK 2 release on PlayStation Network set for end of April, could change if Sony chooses Fighting game fans have been asking for a Capcom vs. SNK 2 re-release for quite some time and during September of last year, the PlayStation 2 version hit the Japanese PlayStation Network.

With the port of the PlayStation 2 version being released in Japan, many fans from across the world, were asking Capcom to release it in other regions. While we hadn't heard much about it, Capcom's Christian Svensson jumped on the Ask Capcom forums to reply to a thread about a North American release.

Current schedule for the release of the PS2 game is the end of April... mind you, if Sony chooses, that could move (it is later than I had originally anticipated already).

This is good news to anyone wanting to play the game, however as the date is not set in stone and could potentially change.

Comments

XDIEX said on March 19, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

If sony choose too... what hate us for wanting to BUY a great game.

SadClown said on March 19, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

Without online play, it's not worth the money.

Syrous_Starr said on March 19, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.

Anyone notice how Iron Galaxys website says they're working on an unannounced Capcom game?
I'd kill if it was CvS2. Which would perhaps mean they've struck a deal with SNK. So maybe a SvC2 in 2D/HD SNK goodness?
Then, not long after those two games we're at least into next year and Capcom announces CvS3 for PS4/720.

In my wildest dreams anyway.. but hopefully it all starts with Capcom announcing CvS2 OE this weekend at PAX ;0

pinoy929 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.

@2, depends on how much they are asking for. If it's $15 without online play, it's still a good purchase because it's a great game, but any more than that would be upsetting. Does the JPN version thats already out have online play?

Nader886 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:38 p.m.

i have no ps3 and it has no online... and this is game to me is my gem like 3s (thank god that got an online remake) this is the only other classic i need...

Meety said on March 19, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

Agreed. It'll be dropped quickly for those thatdesire to play the game with.

Freaknik2128 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

DaSavage said on March 19, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

Too bad I already resorted to buying a god damn PS2 again to play this game.

TheShadowDancer6 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

I dont care for HD graphics or anything, just online play will do nicely

SadClown said on March 19, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

@pinoy929 I don't believe it does. And seeing as how I've still got my PS2 copy, it really isn't worth it without online.

Hexelf said on March 19, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

I dunno about this. The PS2 emulation on the games I've tried so far has been... less than stellar. Hell the VF4E we got was virtually unplayable at times.

TheShadowDancer6 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

@7 Chill out and go watch Conair. Will make you feel better.

bls123pop said on March 19, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

Man, online would be cool, BUUUT that would amplify the negative edge in the game by like 50x! Add on the input lag. Woo, fun times ahead!

Kuza21 said on March 19, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.

I'll still buy it but Online would so sweet so we can see our color customs online.

paralyzing said on March 19, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.

#13 Hey, GGPO for this game would still be an awesome thing.

Endless_X_Chaos said on March 19, 2013 at 3:59 p.m.

Id rather have SvC:Chaos ported over with online play. Long Live Shin Mr. Karate! (although they could get rid of MMXzero and it wouldn't bother me @ all lol)

two2tone said on March 19, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

SHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHO... get ready b*tches!!! lol

HiryuMK said on March 19, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

I agree #2, I hope Iron Galaxy will eventually work on this.

cadnexus said on March 19, 2013 at 4:12 p.m.

I do like this game, but I hope this is not the new announcement Ono suppose to be making this weekend.

They said "new game" and that's what I'm expecting.

LCS said on March 19, 2013 at 4:21 p.m.

#2 Agreed.

Why pay 15$ Dollars for something thats just a port with No online when I can Either

A) Play for Free on PC

Or

B) Find a used copy and play on My PS3(For those with the Early pps3 that is.)

Model_M said on March 19, 2013 at 4:24 p.m.

@20 I can ask the same question for every game released as a PS1/PS2 classic...

ryuhayabusa13 said on March 19, 2013 at 4:35 p.m.

Awwww Yeaahhhhhhhh. Bring on God Rugal and his kKaiser Wave. Unless sony decides to delay the party.

AnaboliChris said on March 19, 2013 at 4:38 p.m.

Logically, I can understand people not buying this even though its a great game. Some of the examples that was brought on was:

-No online mode
-Ps2 port-> Why not go for the "HD" like theyve been doing. And the possibility of them re releasing it again as HD like they did with DS3.

I bought DS3 awhile back..didnt feel the need to buy it again. Maybe when it drops in price.

So the problem with this is, Capcom will see not a lot of people buying it for the problems stated above then they will assume no one is interested in the game or game series (Capcom vs SNK).

Capcom should just withhold the game and re-release it as "HD" with online mode. They'll make money and fans will be happy.

3D said on March 19, 2013 at 4:41 p.m.

Or you guys can create a jap psn and port it. It ain't that hard. The menu is in English too, idk why they would delay releasing it. At least as a ps2 classic.

HiryuMK said on March 19, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

And the PS2 version is censored.

Ultimate Rugal instead of God Rugal.
Rugal no longer saying ''Genocide Cutter'', you just hear the ''slashing'' sound effect.
Sagat say nothing during ''Tiger Genocide'' too.

therealist1991 said on March 19, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.

What they should do is have

CVS 1 & 2 along with SVC CHAOS with online play.

Then make CVS 3 with street fighter 4 graphics and
SVC chaos 2 with KOF XIII graphics.

king_e_dawg said on March 19, 2013 at 4:50 p.m.

For those who have not played the JP PSN version, the input lag makes it an unplayable mess.

Crysalim said on March 19, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

I would do quite a few things to express my profound, explicit desire for a compilation of SvC Chaos, CvS 1 and CvS 2.

RebornOdin said on March 19, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

I love how naive people ask for online play, as if all you have to do is flick some magical switch and online play is implemented. Let's get one thing straight:

IT IS A STRAIGHT PORT, NO ONE HAS TOUCHED THE GAME. THERE IS NO DEVELOPMENT TEAM. THERE IS NO BUDGET FOR THE GAME. IT IS SIMPLY BEING PORTED OVER AND NOTHING ELSE.

And if you DO want development on it, you have to realize that no company, not Capcom, not Valve, not Blizzard, not EA, not anyone else, can just pool money to wherever they want. It's called a schedule (Among a ton of other things) and every business adheres to it.

GiBGUN said on March 19, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

I used to play CVS2 on the original Xbox and online play wasn't bad at all given how long ago it was. Why this can't come out for Xbox live arcade is beyond me

pinoy929 said on March 19, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

@28 I can see this happening, actually. They will add more games and then raise the price to $30. And because of that, I wouldn't buy it, lol.

SadClown said on March 19, 2013 at 5:33 p.m.

#29 @RebornOdin No one here is really questioning the effort or cost involved.

However,Street Fighter III: Third Strike OE, a game which also was put out by Capcom, set the standard for fighting games that fit this profile: an older but still beloved, fan-favorite title that still enjoys a vibrant userbase and would greatly benefit from a fresh coat of paint, additional features, and online play.

theguilty87 said on March 19, 2013 at 5:36 p.m.

They should of given this the same treatment darkstalkers just got. No online no F@#%s given.

Tensa said on March 19, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

hmm I guess I will pick this up anyways I already have the dreamcast and ps2 versions but to lazy to bust those systems out time for some of that A groove sakura!

AnaboliChris said on March 19, 2013 at 5:47 p.m.

#29, stating the obvious. No sht Captain Obvious.

streetfighterjoe said on March 19, 2013 at 6:10 p.m.

day one

lukecage83 said on March 19, 2013 at 6:24 p.m.

@26 : that's exactly what they should do goddamit

lukecage83 said on March 19, 2013 at 6:38 p.m.

Wouldn't shell out money for this. But i'll download the game from piratebay.
I already own the original ps2 disc, but it would be nice to have it on the HDD

Agenthai7 said on March 19, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

If it's anything like the JAP version they released, it's going to have A LOT of input lag :(

No_Surrender said on March 19, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

I ALWAYS wanted to get my hands on this game growing up but never got it. As long as it's priced like the other PS2 classics, I'm buying.

TheMasterPlayer said on March 19, 2013 at 7:50 p.m.

No online, no buy. Simple as that.

Bloody_hado said on March 19, 2013 at 8 p.m.

Just give it the same treatment that SF3 had.

iMTopTier said on March 19, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

without online it will fail

A1Spinn said on March 19, 2013 at 9:40 p.m.

YES!!!this is great news..hopefully itll eventually get online play..but for the mean time, no online no problem..JUST DO IT THE OL- SKOO-WAY!!!

The_Barry_Gibb_Talk_Show said on March 19, 2013 at 10 p.m.

It really would be pointless for Capcom to bring this over and not have online multiplayer. They should have realized and known better that when the fans asked for this we m3ant we wanted the full online treatment we've been getting with all the other games. It should be pretty obvious. Or instead of this just give us a new CvS. Not the pharmacy either.

Wachenroder said on March 19, 2013 at 10:19 p.m.

I have the game on DC, PS2 and even GCN. No way i'm getting a simple PS2 classic port of this game. Especially so if the input lag reports are true. Just shelve this and put out a true HD version w/online. If any game deserves such treatment, its CvS2.

Razberryclownsac said on March 19, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

Never got a chance to play it, but I've heard good things. May pick it up if the price and package is right

theshredder39 said on March 20, 2013 at 1:05 a.m.

I do hope this makes it, this is one of those games that I never got to play but god dammit it was killing me inside that I never got to, I could have gotten the Gamecube version but a Gamecube controller is terrible for a game like this.

kara said on March 20, 2013 at 1:52 a.m.

sarif2soon said on March 20, 2013 at 2:27 a.m.

good guy sven

fhefgher said on March 20, 2013 at 6:50 a.m.

BlankaBeast said on March 20, 2013 at 7:02 a.m.

Sony Seth will let us know!

orochi_kyo said on March 20, 2013 at 8:09 a.m.

Thanks Demul!!!!I dont have to wait sony decisions to play my favorite games.

Tensa said on March 20, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

I do think it would have been better to re-release cvs2 hd in fall instead of a ps2 port, I am still gonna get it but this kinda sucks for people who dont have no one to play offline

UltraTien said on March 20, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

shekeib said on March 20, 2013 at 1:33 p.m.

i wonder how much money it would cost them to put just online ggpo in the game and nothing else. anyone in the industry have any estimates? Would it be cost-efficient?

Bigall said on March 20, 2013 at 11:17 p.m.

Capcom has become the specialist in re-releasing old games...
If they continue like this, they will not need to create new games until 2015. ^^

Amerika said on March 21, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

The ironic part about that #67 is that they are re-releasing the same games that flooded the market too much and caused fighting games to die off.