Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 28, 2013 at 6:54 p.m. PDT
Sakurai doesn't make some characters intentionally strong, has no favorites - Wii U gamepad screen not heavily utilized in new SSB Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai recently disclosed a massive amount of information in an interview about the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Although quite a bit of the article is repeated info, Masahiro does talk on some interesting topics such as the Wii U's gamepad screen use, character balance and more.

Sakurai says in the interview that due to the different controller type preferences players have when playing Smash Bros., the Wii U's gamepad screen functions will not be heavily utilized. He fears that if they went on to do so, it would cause some unbalance in the controls.

Below is a bit from the Kotaku interview to get you started.

OK. People will be very happy to hear that. I also wanted to ask — obviously with the Wii U we have the GamePad screen, and I wanted to ask you: is there anything cool or unique or interesting you can do with that gamepad for a game like Super Smash Bros.?

Sakurai: Actually, I’m not really planning anything that really pushes the GamePad in super-weird directions, just because everyone has their own special preference of what controller they like to use. You would end up in a situation where you have some unbalance in the controls, or in the playing field, so nothing that is super unique and contributes to controls.

Hit the jump to read on.

Sakurai also states that he likes each character in the game equally and does not pick favorites. He says that if he begins thinking of any particular characters as one he likes most, they may unwillingly become stronger during the development process.

He goes on to mention that because the creation of Kirby was his doing, some people think he deliberately made that character stronger in past games. Sakurai assures us that this is not the case.

Okay. Do you have a favourite character of all the Smash Bros. games? Do you have any character that you like to play the most?

Sakurai: As the creator, if I start thinking about one as my favourite, there’s a certain amount of bias that enters the creation process. They might sort of unwillingly become stronger. So my stance is that I like them all. Actually, I would like to hear if you have any personal favourites.

Kirby. On the N64, in the first Smash Bros., I would play Kirby all the time.

Sakurai: As the creator of Kirby, there may have been instances when people thought ohh I made Kirby stronger because I have a preference for him, so I definitely avoid trying to give any sort of preference, and especially even mentioning anything to anybody about — to give them the idea that I like somebody more than the others.

Source: Kotaku.

Comments

Tewind said on June 28, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

I thought Dedede was his favorite.

No special use of the gamepad screen is good news, if anything else.

CAC said on June 28, 2013 at 7:16 p.m.

You can tell that he doesn't pick favorites, because if he did kirby would be good in melee.

I'm only kind of bitter. Mostly. (weeps slowly)

Kirbyfan66 said on June 28, 2013 at 8:18 p.m.

#2 Me and you, buddy. ;~;

JakePeskin said on June 28, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

lol I always thought Meta Knight was a result of favoritism. At least this time around he's not the only one balancing.

Kijui said on June 28, 2013 at 9 p.m.

@1 and 4
What're you talking about?! Dedede is everyone's favorite!

rakuko said on June 28, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

Meta Knight has trancendant hitboxes (best priority) on all moves except dash attack, get blown up Sakurai.

TheTHCGamer said on June 28, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

I like that he's not going out if his way to make certain characters better than the rest of the cast which means balance is important to him. Sometimes it feels developers go out if there way for one reason or another to make certain characters stronger.

That or they don't feel character balance is that important. No fighting games perfectly balanced but some seem like it wasn't a priority when developing the game. @Oh yea because a character has never been OP in a fighting game and he was banned at tournies just like other characters in fighting games.

Chaos15 said on June 28, 2013 at 9:19 p.m.

Yeah I hate when the creator favoritism makes a character OP
*cough* Scorpion *cough* Injustice *cough*

PowerBeard said on June 28, 2013 at 9:23 p.m.

What if you hate a character and make him total almost unusable ass.... Ganon...

TheTHCGamer said on June 28, 2013 at 9:26 p.m.

@8 I didn't want to say it but that was one if the games I was alluding too. He's a popular DC character so he should be made strong and with the rest of the cast well have top players test the game just so it looks like we actually went out of our way to balance the game.

Here's the reality were going to have to patch the game every month because we really didn't do a great job initially balancing the game. Don't get me wrong Injustice is a fun ass game but I won't be surprised if it has some of the worst matchups for a fighting game this gen.

TheTHCGamer said on June 28, 2013 at 9:30 p.m.

@9 Hey I love Ganon he's always been one of my mains but yea he's not easiest to win with. I do love the power of his jump attacks and I've become pretty good with him. His jumping back attack works really well in my opinion.

darkanimator97 said on June 28, 2013 at 9:36 p.m.

its the touch screen idea that really killed fighter on the wii u and 3ds. its probably one of the main reasons why people sold sf3ds and quit ttt2- wii u. hearing this makes me want to buy the game even more

Piesforever said on June 28, 2013 at 9:44 p.m.

#4 and 6 I agree. I read somewhere ( maybe on this site?) that sakurai actually admitted to favoring certain characters in brawl, mentioning specifically meta knight and snake, the creator of the metal gear games being his buddy. This statement means he's learned his lesson...? Not that I complained too much. As for the game pad topic, some obvious choices I would like to see are a item drop support system, or maybe a picto chat level where the gamepad player can create obstacles. As party modes of course.

TheTHCGamer said on June 28, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

I would love to see where Sakurai stated he actually favored certain characters. Im pretty sure he tried to make Brawl as balanced as possible however what you have to understand is Brawl was a less competitive then say Melee. Which is why you still see competitive players still playing Melee but in my opinion Brawl is still a great game much better still than other Smash Bros type games.

You also have to remember Sakurai doesn't work on these games all by himself his development teams do a good majority of the work and lots of fighting games have a character that's initially better than the rest. Thing is those fighting games get patches to improve the character balance or updated versions of the same game. Im hoping with the bigger memory and the shift to updates to fighting games that the Wii U version might get updates after its initial release.

TheTHCGamer said on June 28, 2013 at 11:24 p.m.

By the way im not saying he didn't admit to showing favoritism I just want to see where he stated that because that's one interview I must have missed out on.

Hrm said on June 28, 2013 at 11:39 p.m.

@9: It was actually my understanding that Ganon is Sakurai's main character in Brawl? I could be wrong.

Sunforged_One said on June 29, 2013 at 4:07 a.m.

In my opinion it is not possible to like each character equally. They are much too different...
But on the other hand: Even if you like a chacter more than others but don't have that in mind when it comes to balancing, it is perfectly ok to like a character more than others.

JdotSweapA said on June 29, 2013 at 4:23 a.m.

The hell he is.... =_=

Strider_Hien said on June 29, 2013 at 5:06 a.m.

Sakurai is gonna make me buy a 3DS,just for this game I swear.He's so passionate about this is series,you can't help but respect him and try it out.But my Vita and Dragon's Crown?!?!? Decisions,decisions.....😲

xShonuffx said on June 29, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

@8 *hands cough syrup*