Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 25, 2013 at 7:46 p.m. PDT
Tekken X Street Fighter may cater to beginning players in similar fashion as Tekken Revolution Namco Bandai's upcoming release of Tekken X Street Fighter may be more in the vein of Tekken Revolution than Tekken Tag Tournament 2, at least if recent hints from Katsuhiro Harada are any indication.

The leader of the Tekken project talked about how important it is to cater to beginning players, with a number of people being complimentary of Namco's approach with Tekken Revolution, in that regard.

ChingachgookNM: Many liked Tekken Revolution. If Tekken X Street Fighter is easy to get into for beginners it's good!

Harada: Beginner and new comer is a important for fighting games.

ChingachgookNM: Talking with players, they really like no Bounds in Tekken Revolution. I agree don't bring Bounds back. Find other mechanics.

Harada: Good for beginners.

Some major review outlets like IGN and GameSpot were openly critical of TTT2's steep learning curve, citing that the, "series remains unapologetically brutal," and that, " it could certainly do a heck of a lot better," introducing players to the genre.

It's not known if the reviews like these were a factor in Namco making some adjustments to their core gameplay with Tekken Revolution, but it's a plausible theory, as numerous review sites cited this same issue in their articles.

What do you think? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Source: Harada's Twitter.

Comments

Diablowarrior said on June 25, 2013 at 7:48 p.m.

FINNALLLY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS F******* game jalleujah

keijukaze said on June 25, 2013 at 7:51 p.m.

Sigh didn't really like Rev was hoping like Tag2 but I'll still end up getting it.

illness690 said on June 25, 2013 at 7:51 p.m.

phoenixkusanagi said on June 25, 2013 at 7:53 p.m.

I don't care either way, I'm scrubby in TR, I'll be scrubby in TxSF. lol

On a serious tip, I'm wondering, will anyone be turned off on TxSF by this?

DevilMaySpy said on June 25, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

Most of us expected this, but it's good that it's confirmed. The flashing specials and colorful "Critical Attacks" were screaming at Capcom fans.

Dblock209 said on June 25, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

And here comes the sh!t storm......

Catalyst said on June 25, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

@DevilMaySpy

I wouldn't say confirmed, but definitely leaning that way.

EA575 said on June 25, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

I'm not crying. I'm glad it might be more accessible to beginners because fighting games are usually avoided by people because it looks too difficult.

CrimzonWolf777 said on June 25, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

@3 MAN! TEKKEN REVOLUTION IS WACK! IT'S SO SCRUB FRIENDLY AND SO DUMBED DOWN! Kappa (there...no one needs to do it now xD)

In all seriousness though, I figured Tekken Revolution was used for test mechanics for Tekken x Street Fighter. Still a fun game though, can't wait for Tekken x Street Fighter.

SRankedMission said on June 25, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

You don't have to be an elitist to hate the game being dumbed down. Bounds were great and learning 60+ moves and frame data made the game deep. No one complained, truthfully, having games so beginner friendly hurts everyone in the long run.

I am.

edrigo said on June 25, 2013 at 7:57 p.m.

Seriously why not have beginners lobbies where higher ranked players can't enter. Why try and shove mechanics in that ruin other players hard work?

Advertise the game properly have lobbies for beginners work on putting interesting mechanics in the game.

no bound please

ryuhayabusa13 said on June 25, 2013 at 8:01 p.m.

I was one of the people that at first hated Tekken Fighting mechanics and was only biased towards the capcom formula. My friends were all good at tekken. However, halfway through tekken 3 and tekken 4 it finally clicked on me and turned out to be really fun. I do understand about the frustration with the steep learning curve, but if they figure out the way to cater to both beginner and advanced players, would be great.

BrokenPad said on June 25, 2013 at 8:01 p.m.

Theres a point of making a game easier for new players. And flat out retardedness with sfxt's 1 button special moves. Im baffled as to why we need to *make things easier*. Are fighting games THAT hard to sit down with for people? I know some people enjoy just playing them, but chances are if you like fighting games, you want to have some proper knowledge on how to play them. And If you have some special option holding your hand while you pretend you know what your doing, you get slaughtered because your not learning the game.

SnakeX said on June 25, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.

After not reaching their expected sales target with TTT2 I'm not surprised that they're targeting beginners more now.

As long as the game's depth isn't affected then there's no problem though.

phoenixkusanagi said on June 25, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

With all this talk about new players and making things easier, I have to wonder...Could it be not that the game is difficult to learn, but that there's no one to play with?

Hear me out. I'm pretty much the only guy in my clique who plays ANY fighting games worth a damn. There's no real fun in playing online for me, and there's no one to really learn from except from streams and such. No arcades that I know of, either. (I'm in Dallas.) Me personally, I'd find a game easier to pick up and play if there were people around to learn from. Maybe these new guys are just missing a community in which to fully develop. Just a thought. In which case, what then?

ForTheViolence said on June 25, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

:( nooooooo.

Existent said on June 25, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

I hope the similarities to Revolution are fleeting at best.

badjab326 said on June 25, 2013 at 8:11 p.m.

Ehhh, I really like TTT2. It's my favorite Tekken game. I love bound, it makes for slightly longer flashier combos and helps a ton with balance.

badjab326 said on June 25, 2013 at 8:14 p.m.

Also, how anybody can say Tekken is more complicated than SF is beyond me. The execution requirements to do decent combos in SF are ridiculous as opposed to pretty much every other fighting game in existence.

loopedchip said on June 25, 2013 at 8:15 p.m.

This is why the I'm starting to dislike the FGC... People are starting to make the game scrub friendly. Take a look at SFXT you mash on a couple of buttons and you get launcher you press 2 buttons you get a launcher. Also and once a new game comes out like CoD Ghost it'll attract their attention then they'll play.I'm just disliking how fighting games are being made nowadays.

gohan16ken said on June 25, 2013 at 8:17 p.m.

I agree that fighting games should be geared towards the causal and average audience rather than the elite and tournament audience. Unfortunately, companies are making games for evo players and fan and not for the regular folks. Professional players are move to the hype and money (this is not an insult but a reality of the business). So their fans are bias and not really lasting. People should make fighting games for the least common denominator. On that note, I do not care what TxSF is, I just want it to be made. Hurry the hell up!!!

bls123pop said on June 25, 2013 at 8:18 p.m.

Players/Fans are just lazy.

Namco/Capcom had/have a huge following both casual and hardcore. That never stopped these folks from playing in the first place.

All of a sudden it's too hard to play?

Yeah, you're not into it anymore and just want to go through the motions here just to give you a false sense of accomplishment and "Hey! I can play fighting gamez guyz! Watch me get a huge combos w/ Hakan guyz, I'm so Pro, Bro!"

MALDA_IS_BACK said on June 25, 2013 at 8:21 p.m.

I got a feeling this game is going to fail too

Aluppoj said on June 25, 2013 at 8:25 p.m.

Strike a balance.

SF4 = casual enough for new players to have fun

SF4 = deep enough for pros to dive in

Balance = success and longevity.

Eye_of_Orochi said on June 25, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

I expected this. And I think it's actually going to be good for the game. Tekken is apparently too technical and TTT2 is slowly dying. I guess we'll see if this turns out to be a good thing or not, same for JoJo's and other future fighting games.

h1tm0nl33 said on June 25, 2013 at 8:32 p.m.

so long as TxSF has more than 7 characters to start with were all good. :P

mario3d said on June 25, 2013 at 8:35 p.m.

TK Revolution is a joke, spamming invencible attack, no bounce, no long combos,horrible damage, beginners meh, mix the games, is the best for all players.
Everyone wait and hype for TK vs SF.

TheMAMBA said on June 25, 2013 at 8:35 p.m.

This is actually better since a lot of SF players don't play Tekken and they will most likely be getting this game.

TheLaw said on June 25, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

@20 well... I mean.... They never had the magic series in any other fg... Oh wait. And @19 there's a ton of stuff you have to know to get good at tekken. One of those things are called just-frames. They're basically when you do a move at the exact frame you need to get a desired effect.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 25, 2013 at 8:45 p.m.

When it comes to Tekken's move list mechanics in general, Tekken always had the complex fighting system for awhile. I wouldn't even ask them to tone down their mechanics because that takes part of Tekken's gameplay away.

I think part of the problems with TTT2 in general is that part of the Fight Lab doesn't prepare you for part of the games mechanics. Fight Lab only teach you basics and not the advanced mechanics, plus TTT2 doesn't have command training system. (like VF, DOA, PSASBR, & Injustice) Because there isn't much tutorials and not even a command training system that can be a problem for certain people that want to learn their characters and want to learn advance stuff. (sometimes YouTube isn't always the source learning)

I can't wait to see TXSF reveal.

Meety said on June 25, 2013 at 8:47 p.m.

I like Tekken equally from the old to the new , and I can say I played Tekken long enough to learn most about the game, but hopefully TR is what can bring beginners into 3D fighting. I think the reason why not too players don't play 3D fighting games is because it has more variety to it than just using moves like some beginners do in 2D fighting games and also the it's not all about sidestepping and such, while in 2D fighting games however you mostly have the options to move back, forward, duck, and crouch. This is coming from a player that used to play a lot of 2D fighters, but now is more into 3D fighting games. Not saying that's the main reason, but it's just a thought. I still play 2Ds, but only a certain amount I enjoy.

Zero said on June 25, 2013 at 8:50 p.m.

Wardog said on June 25, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

I'm glad their trying to bring in new players but they need to go back to their roots. Bound & rage shouldn't be in a Tekken game, which I know this isn't just a Tekken game but a cross over game... back then, you could really tell people if they play tekken or not and who would take the time to learn the game and just enjoy its core. The older Tekken games comeback wins, made you feel really good and appreciate that match win or lose cause you had to rely on your skills.

Harada really need to pay attention to what the old school vets are saying about bound & rage... that's why their are playing TR cause it feels like a older Tekken game, beside that new quick & flashy maneuver.

Gotomaster said on June 25, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

@19 Your playing relatively easy characters. There is more to what makes fighting games hard than just tough execution and even then, Sf isn't the most execution heavy game. Marvel and Kof are just examples of games with much greater execution requirements.

GrimmjawJin said on June 25, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

As long as they take the RPG elements out of it along with the bound mechanic, this game will be golden.

Raiden8 said on June 25, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

Train in the hard game to prepare for the mainstream game. GGAC has had a semi resurgence since the Xrd trailer. I can only assume Xrd will be pretty easy to get into as well.

dubsys said on June 25, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

I don't even mind, playing Tekken Rev is actually pretty fun and the specials are ridiculously punishable. It's fun and still has the depth T6/Tag2 have

MALDA_IS_BACK said on June 25, 2013 at 9:14 p.m.

KOF yes Marvel hell no

SeriphAngel said on June 25, 2013 at 9:24 p.m.

Seems easy wins is all that shall be obtained then...

Not liking this, not liking this at all. I liked #11's idea. Leave the game alone and just make rooms where higher players cannot enter. So tired of games being dumb for people who will not even try to learn the game anyway... It is like putting an instant line feature in Tetris, what reason would you want to learn it when you know you can press one button and do the exact same thing?

Horrible philosophy not only for games but also for life.

Smorgasboard said on June 25, 2013 at 9:38 p.m.

This is not news especially not for TxSF.

The Tekken series has always been welcoming to beginners if you just want to mash. They even had a comeback mechanic before SF4 came out.

They are just continuing their tradition.

Also, Harada never mentioned anything about TxSF. It was in the question but he never answered about TxSF directly.

Gotomaster said on June 25, 2013 at 9:49 p.m.

@38 I meant Marvel overall, not just Marvel 3.

Spiral0Architect said on June 25, 2013 at 9:55 p.m.

@34: Marvel isn't really tough execution as it is memorizing long combos/seeing when to place them.

KoF I agree though. I had to give that game up because of the execution barrier lol

whens_marvel said on June 25, 2013 at 10:04 p.m.

I love Tekken, but this needs to happen. Game is just too hard now and theres too much to learn to be competitive.

tekkablade12 said on June 25, 2013 at 10:05 p.m.

WTF?!?! ...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....YES BOUNDS PLEASE?! I immediately stopped playing Tekken rev cause it didnt have bounds and felt like it was going backwards not forward with ttt2

SeriphAngel said on June 25, 2013 at 10:10 p.m.

Ugh so many babies in the gaming community...Soon everything will be Asura's Wrath.

Xoleworld said on June 25, 2013 at 10:13 p.m.

Man I want to see pics and development status before placing restrictions and learning caps. Need a new tekken/street fighter game in my life. Hopefully next gen

Kenshiro said on June 25, 2013 at 10:13 p.m.

Of course because people were hating on the idea of the crossover from the start.

I really can't stand the whining this early on. People just can't stand games having an easy entry point. I don't have Revolution because Tag 2 is superior however it had to be known that the crossover from both sides would feature some simpler elements in nature.

Some of the same people whining now were whining about the "juggle-fest". You can't win ever. Just STFU.

Mufasa3151 said on June 25, 2013 at 10:15 p.m.

Omg! Nice.

Kenshiro said on June 25, 2013 at 10:20 p.m.

Maybe it's because it's not meant to be a BETTER version of TTT2.

Schwoi said on June 25, 2013 at 10:30 p.m.

ugh... yeah I'm turned off by this...
I mean it's okay to welcome beginners and all but... please nothing in the sense of gems or quick combos or anything like that...

Kagamizen said on June 25, 2013 at 10:30 p.m.

i am glad they are removing bounds. winning just does not feel like winning when all you need is to learn 3 or 4 bound combos.

Hammer said on June 25, 2013 at 10:36 p.m.

The bounding in tekken is a great mechanic. I personally loved it, but I guess I'm in a minority. *Sigh*whatever take it out leave it tekken players learn to change with each iteration.

@Kenshiro. You make a valid point. Maybe its not meant to be played like traditional tekken.

Batsu said on June 25, 2013 at 10:39 p.m.

Meh. Last thing we need is another SF or Tekken game. Let those franchises take a breather.

SeriphAngel said on June 25, 2013 at 10:40 p.m.

Bounds or no bounds. Either way I will still do long combos and hurt people.

But we all know that removing that system will not make beginners get better. It was not as if the ability to do boundless combos was taken from the game after the mechanic was introduced anyway.

dro2191 said on June 25, 2013 at 10:42 p.m.

well i happen to like ttt2 steep learning curve and bounds as well, i really hope this game does not cater to beginners all too much, if they can find a perfect balance like how SF4 was easy to learn but hard to master than ill be alright with it, and i loved the bounds they help extend for crazy combos i really hope they don't remove it in tekken x sf

musacci said on June 25, 2013 at 10:45 p.m.

beginners in tekken will senselessly mash all buttons, there is no need to cater for them. The truth is that tekken feels and looks exactly the same (for beginners and outsiders) since tekken 3, thus nobody feels any need to buy the new version once they have one.

This won't work just like their "free to pay every 20 minutes" concept.

Archaik said on June 25, 2013 at 10:48 p.m.

Will make a point of not buying this game then.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 25, 2013 at 11:04 p.m.

You know for Tekken Revolution... the game in general is really impressive and it plays like the older Tekken games, (before Tekken 6-TTT2) the leveling up your character almost reminds me a similar feature that Soul Calibur IV when it comes to character power & health wise, part of Tekken Revolution reminds you of the good days of the Arcades. The visuals & details for certain stages have some nice details that either has a nice sunset, or backgrounds that were more detail, (some details are huge improvement from TTT2) the backgrounds when characters do their victory pose is not as blurry compared to TTT2, but certain stages had bit of lighting overdone or doesn't match certain skies of certain stages. Character visuals most of male characters look like their TTT2 counter part but with more enhanced visual, and the female faces are actually more impressive and adds more detail. (which improves from TTT2)

Honestly I don't consider both TTT2 or Tekken Revolution superior when it comes to quality fighter games for each of their own flaws, but both TTT2 & Tekken Revolution are good fighter games for certain Tekken fans to like each games. If people hate the bound combos and prefer the old gameplay mechanic from past games, Tekken Revolution is a recommend. If certain people prefer TTT2 just for their full version experiences, it really depends on their choices when it comes to playing Tekken Revolution they don't have to play it if they don't want to.

Honestly I would prefer Tekken Revolution for the Arcade experience that has been completely missing and the impressive visuals & details.

bunny said on June 25, 2013 at 11:05 p.m.

TR is good i put it right under T3, too many ways to tet life lead and run away victory mix that with invincible moves and full screen unblockables and you start to see the games balance issues...3.5/5 seems about right. fuk kaz

thediabolicalbm said on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

I dont think bounds is the reason tekken is so hard for newcomers the combo system is pretty much launcher filler bound post bound ender for every character. what makes tekken hard for newcomers is its movement being so complex and different then anything else on the market. the large amount moves every character has with individual properties plus the abundance of different matchups. though i guess it couldn't hurt to make the combo system simpler

MrWow12 said on June 25, 2013 at 11:32 p.m.

Tekken is not hard to learn. Granted I picked up Tekken 6 last June to practice for TTT2 and I couldn't win once online, I learned how to play very well a little after it was released. Like another poster just said, TxSF needs to be balanced without scrubbing the Tekken mechanics.

Madmax77 said on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 p.m.

@38 I agree that KOF require some exact executions, more than SF, but you can't say "Marvel hell no"
Marvel as well is an execution heavy game if you want to do a life-bar combo
of course everyone can pull of an easy 600.000 or a 700.000 damage combo...

Quan said on June 25, 2013 at 11:44 p.m.

The bound system IMO doesn't separate as @60 suggested , I strayed away from tekken and came back to TTT2 on an arcade stick from a pad which reverted me back to learning the game all over... And if I had to say what hurt me the most was indeed the movement and getting familiar with just that aspect... Bounds make the game and the characters ur using just that much more fun I think - please don't remove it Harada :)

Pachendrix said on June 26, 2013 at 12:11 a.m.

I disliked Rev a lot, but with training mode on it's way, HOPEFULLY, free local versus, and the full roster released in the near future, I may end up loving it just like the other Tekken games. It wouldn't hurt customizing characters but that's just a plus, not a must. Give me back my Yoshi and Steve (sure I love Asuka to death, and love learning King, but usually I'm a 3 character guy, and is not fair being able to use only one of my 3 mains), a local versus, and I can love them again. That being said, I will definitely buy TxSF, and have high hopes for it, but I just can't help but think it'll end up just like SFxT, loved it for 15 minutes, then I realized is based on timeouts and derp combo system, horrible music, boring stages, etc, now it's eating dust on my shelf, and it will stay like that for eternity. Hopefully TxSF will do justice to both games. And to me Tekken Rev "revamped" fighting system is a great start.

badjab326 said on June 26, 2013 at 12:19 a.m.

@29 The thing about Tekken is that the cast is so large, you can easily find a character where learning certain mechanics is not required.

@34 SF4 combos require perfect timing on each button press. Marvel's a little bit more lenient, but the speed increase makes it more difficult to defend well. Haven't played much KoF, but I'm sure the execution requirement is probably wayy too high for me.

The beginning of getting good at a game for me starts with doing combos, then I learn when to do them and how to defend by playing. So the problem with Tekken's entry level has nothing to do with bound, it's a problem with the movement, and defense. Those things are not easy to change because they are what define Tekken. So removing bound is a cop-out, and adding invincible moves is an even bigger cop-out. I like Tekken because for the most part because it's a no BS game. You don't make it better by adding BS.

bojack13 said on June 26, 2013 at 12:20 a.m.

lol, some random douche with a racist name makes a comment about TR and mentions TxSF should be like that. Harada sort of agrees and says 'beginners are important' and it's OMG FINALLY SOME REAL SOLID ACTUAL TxSF NEWS!!

TheDeadTexan said on June 26, 2013 at 12:21 a.m.

Only thing I really love about Rev is the removal of bound combos.

Schwoi said on June 26, 2013 at 12:42 a.m.

"you don't make it better by adding BS"
well said.
I don't think you should cater "beginners", cater and reward smart play instead

Renegade_Rook said on June 26, 2013 at 12:42 a.m.

I liked bound combos. Along with the walls it made it so you had to think about where you were on a stage to optimize your damage. Good players won't just use the same BnB over and over again.

@ #51 Kagamizen
If you repeatedly launch your opponent for a bound combo then they are doing something wrong.

bunny said on June 26, 2013 at 12:43 a.m.

um steve is one of the four unlockable characters steve,bryan,leo and alisa if you dont unlock him 1st or 2nd though good luck takes a hella lotta giftpoints for the 3rd and 4th. think selections random

Devdan said on June 26, 2013 at 12:44 a.m.

The reversal moves in TR are overpowered (maybe offline they wouldn't be, but there is no offline play so...), and the level up mechanic is stupid. Other than that, I'd be fine if TxSF played like it. I love the new grahics filter too, I hope they keep it.

For people saying 'Tekken was never too complicated': Back before online play, a lot of people thought they were 'good' at fighting games. They had no idea how much they sucked. Once they found out, a lot of them just gave up, and moved to CoD. Tekken had been too complicated for a while now, and I say this as someone who hasn't stopped playing VF5FS since it came out. Trying to play TTT2 online was a soul crushing experience. I had a 10% win ratio. I am not new to the genre, but I couldn't freaking figure out how to GET UP. Unlike in VF, where there's a finite number of OTGs you can do, combos in TTT2 seem to never end.

NM_Flamez said on June 26, 2013 at 1:03 a.m.

People Tekken isnt hard to get into! Dont get rid of bounds. Is something that SF x Tek something really to aspire to??

Also, Tekken Tag 2 > Tekken Revolution

@71 Tekken's wake-up game in much deeper than VF's but it isn't THAT deep. Learn that and you'll be fine.

AzureRedemption said on June 26, 2013 at 1:26 a.m.

Ricecake said on June 26, 2013 at 1:27 a.m.

Good to hear news about Tekken x Street Fighter.

Devdan said on June 26, 2013 at 1:43 a.m.

I did play ghost battle for a while. A pretty long while. Enough to platinum the game. There are too many characters, it'd take years to learn every way every one can punish me one the ground.

rie_dude said on June 26, 2013 at 2:14 a.m.

I am much more excited for Tekken X Street Fighter now that I know it's next-gen. I think guys, business-wise, the hardcore community (though it's growing) is just too small to warrant them to focus on us alone.

TxSF is likely going to be a lower barrier of entry as next-gen dev costs are astronomical, so they will aim to make as much money as they can to cover those costs and make a profit by appealing to a wider audience. My predictions are:

1. New mechanic (I'm clueless to what this is)
2. Fireballs kept in
3. Commands kept in e.g. QCF, HCB (albeit simplified)
4. 1-vs-1 or 2-vs-2
5. Flashy VFX
6. Some sort of ultra/super move

- RD

Rising_Jaguar said on June 26, 2013 at 2:36 a.m.

Wow...I do not know where Namco is getting any of this information...

"Many liked Tekken Revolution."
- Personally I heard (in-person and online sources) alot of Tekken
players really DIDN'T like the game~ and they really hated the fact
they took away the bound system~

I guess the hardcore Tekken players will have to downgrade abit to
get used to the new fighting game mechanics~

Oh well....C'MON MORE TXSF NEWS!~ NEW TRAILER SOON PLEASE!!!!

SJFox said on June 26, 2013 at 2:37 a.m.

Though the juggle potential and juggle damage was made easy with revolution and the invc attacks are scrubby, the game retained the solid foundation of Tekken I know and always loved. There's not much wrong with the mechanics found in TR and I would certainly not mind them using this for the future games.

I'm mostly happy to the changes in particles. Though they didn't get rid of those ugly, 2D, T4 effects, the new ones make the attacks feel more fresh and exciting.

JudyCrews44 said on June 26, 2013 at 2:46 a.m.

DarkRyu94 said on June 26, 2013 at 2:50 a.m.

..... Am I the only person who is going to miss the bound system? I thought it was the best thing they added in a while.

Offen said on June 26, 2013 at 3 a.m.

@ #80 No, you are not the only one.

I just hope they keep it a Solo game and not tag.

rc_on said on June 26, 2013 at 3:12 a.m.

What I started playing TTT2 like 2 weeks ago and I somewhat understand the bound system.. It wasn't easy but far from being impossible to learn either. I hope they won't overdo it and make the game less interesting for players who are dedicated.

FightDirty said on June 26, 2013 at 3:17 a.m.

Ah crap - to learn that they plan to dumb down TxSF tells me that the game is going to be *ss. Guess I'll have to stick with Tekken Tag 2, but I might get the game anyway just to see how well they translate my SF mains into a 3D fighter.

TorTorVega said on June 26, 2013 at 3:43 a.m.

I think the problem here is that most of us have been into fighting games for a long time now. In capcom terms, if we played Third Strike transitioning to SF4 was weird but for the most part the characters behaved like we expected them to and most things made sense. If you play Ryu you play Ryu and while you won't be super amazing when you switch to Ryu in another game, you'll still have a pretty good idea of what's going on and be ahead of the curve ...

but for a completely new player just getting into fighting games? The learning curve is absolutely insane. I have friends who picked up SF4 2 years ago and still aren't quite there yet despite playing it frequently. Fighting games are unique in that they pretty much require you to read/watch tons of guides or interact with players who are just really really good and will explain things to you in order to break into a level that could be considered decent. Fighting games are absolutely daunting for new players, and no other genre requires quite as much work.

So yeah if the devs cater a bit to the new players, that's not really a horrible thing as long as the depth is still there for the older players.

Drameron said on June 26, 2013 at 3:47 a.m.

pc will be the variant of this? would be good.

9DeadlySinns said on June 26, 2013 at 4:17 a.m.

Bound makes alot more sense in TTT2 then it does in normal Tekken. I hope we get just a old fashioned 1 v 1 no tag team.

Making moves easier is fine, Tekken is all about learning the spacing,timing of the moves and punishers but I think a decent training mode will help. They need to break down the command list and show moves on screen instead of switching to menus.
I dont get this dumbing down elitist idea, we want new people in the scene, but we also need enough depth for the hardcore. Tricky balancing act but I got faith in Harada-san!

blazebwoy said on June 26, 2013 at 4:46 a.m.

does this game actually exist????

MontoniBeatdown said on June 26, 2013 at 5:07 a.m.

they should make txsf just like SF Ex series! game was awesome, hell make another sf ex game. who ever said execution on SF to do decent combos have never played KOF, now thats a game thats hell bent on execution. my thoughts on UMVC3 honestly i own the game, but i dont play ranked matches at all i just hit the training room for a few hours a day and play with my marvel buddies, deep down inside MVC is fun, but doesnt take skill to actually do combos in a sense. also just spamming fireball/guns/doom missiles and the occasional wave dash into combos, is not my way to have a good match. call me a noob all u want, but i know i have a rushdown morrgian/zoner so i dont need to worry about my other team mates cause she usually does the work

rie_dude said on June 26, 2013 at 5:22 a.m.

^ @ 88 I told the EH team I was discussing this with Arika and potentially bringing back the EX cast but EH never posted it! No kappa. No BS. We're looking at crowdfunding it.

Peyolt666 said on June 26, 2013 at 7:17 a.m.

Well lets all try to be positive in the fighting game community it is not because a game is easy to handle for a beginner that it is without depth. Street Fighter Super Turbo is noob friendly and it is also still being played in a competitive way. Same with the Soulcalibur serie. Lets just wait what Tricks Harada has to offer.
Either way even if it is newbie friendly if you dedicate some time and effort to it you'll quickly find ways to get rid of button mashers.

I really feel excited to see and play Ken or Oro (just hope he'll make the cut) in a Tekken style.

Kenshiro said on June 26, 2013 at 7:39 a.m.

Street Fighter EX was horrid, especially from the standpoint of character design. This is Namco's version kill that noise.

BlankaBeast said on June 26, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.

Good. More new players.

GodPride said on June 26, 2013 at 8:01 a.m.

This is not really news. This is just somebody getting ahead of themself.

Gotomaster said on June 26, 2013 at 8:13 a.m.

Lol at all the 09ers who think that dumbing-down Tekken is a bad thing when they themselves play dumb down iteration of games.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 26, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

@Devdan I think the main problem in general with Tekken wise, is that mostly Tekken doesn't offer a type of command training system, (like VF, DOA, PSASBR, & Injustice) even Tekken Fight Lab only teaches you basic when Tekken needs more & better tutorials that teaches you every details about the mechanics, (like both VF5FS & DOA5+/DOA5U) and would need a combo tutorial that teaches you every characters combos. (like Capcom fighters, DOA5+/DOA5U, & PSASBR)

This is my experiences from each of the games I've played. I heck in VF5FS I've played couple of Command Training, I'm pretty decent with Lion. (although its been too long since I've played VF5FS) In DOA5 I complete every command training with all of the characters, I'm really good with Kasumi. I'm not even new to the genre.

rie_dude said on June 26, 2013 at 8:36 a.m.

@ 91, I beg to differ. (Excuse for being off-topic)

=> "inspired by" (everybody's inspired, this isn't a bad thing)

Hakan => Darun (SF EX)
C.Viper => Sharon (SF EX)
Abel => Allen (SF EX)

Focus Attack => Guard Break (SF EX 2)
Focus Cancel => Guard Cancel (SF EX 2)

.. then you have the great designs like Skullo , Garuda, Kairi and Hokuto - the character design in the series was well ahead of it's time. The first EX was '97!!

Diablowarrior said on June 26, 2013 at 8:48 a.m.

some of yall sound like str8 up babies....... listen u dont get in the ring with floydmayweather when ur a beginner u fight beginners just because there are intricite fighting mechanics dont mean u cant get in there and have a good time there there for when you get more experience in the game yall really need to tighten up

cikame said on June 26, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

Man i am against pretty much everything said in that post.

Fighting game fans have been waiting for these crossovers for a long time, it would be a real shame if only simplified and softer fighting games were the result.

Lordd_G said on June 26, 2013 at 9:03 a.m.

Fine. Whatever you need to do, Namco.

JUST MAKE SURE THERE'S A PS3 VERSION!!!

FG DO NOT NEED TO BE NEXT-GEN (yet)

Earthboundimmortal said on June 26, 2013 at 9:12 a.m.

All I have to say is...3D Sagat and C.Viper Kreygasm x10000