Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 15, 2013 at 9:49 p.m. PDT
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate's roster is final now, director of title talks about online improvements We posted part one of KarbyP's interview with Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate's director, Yohei Shimbori, yesterday and we've followed that up with the final piece today, including some gameplay impressions of both Momiji and Rachel.

Shimbori mentions that the game's roster is final now, and talks about some of the improvements they've made to the online mode, like bug fixes for some players who were not being able to join lobbies, stage lag issues and he adds there are some new things that they cannot discuss, yet.

There's also some additional DoA5U gameplay footage. You can find all this and more after the jump.

KarbyP: With Leon and Rachel added to the cast, is the roster final? Or are you planning to include more characters?

Shimbori: The roster is final.

KarbyP: A friend of mine who goes by Shinobi (he's a Korea-born, Tokyo-based competitive Kasumi player and made it into grand finals/top 22 for Team Ninja's first official Dead or Alive 5 tournament in Tokyo) noticed in the new E3 trailer you put out that Kasumi and Hayate have new tag pose and tag throws added in Ultimate. He'd like to thank you for that, and at the same time, request specifically for Kasumi a new Great victory pose as well as new appeals/taunts.

Shimbori: Oh yeah, I know Shinobi. As for his request... I'll think about it when he wins a tournament. (Laughs)

KarbyP: I'm sure he's all fired up for the next tournament right now (laughs). Could you give us more specifics on what else you've added into Ultimate as far as tag poses and appeals are concerned?

Shimbori: We've tried to add as many tag poses and tag throws as we possibly could. So for instance, with the Kasumi and Hayate tag pair, they not only have a unique entrance pose, a unique victory pose, but they've also got two patterns to their tag throws.

Another example of one such pair would be Ryu Hayabusa and Momiji. We've added a lot of cool stuff for that tag pair, so please do check it out.

As for new taunts/appeals... actually we've added quite a few new taunts. as well as new taunt commands to activate them. It's actually still a secret, but the new taunt/appeal commands are actually in the demo version shown at E3.

(Attached is a screenshot showing all of Ayane's appeal commands in the E3 demo... can anyone spot if anything's different?)

Click image for larger version

KarbyP: What about stages? Personally I felt that a lot of the stages in DoA5 had this dark, gloomy, and overly serious vibe. But from the footage you've shown of the new stage Sky City Tokyo, as well as Lost World which you're resurrecting from past games, it seems like the stages new to Ultimate this time are more livened up.

Shimbori: We received a lot of feedback on stages, and we've really heard our fans loud and clear on what they wanted. For instance, we got a lot of requests from players all over the world for the Forest stage from Dead or Alive 3, so we thought "yeah, [since it's so popular] couldn't we bring that stage back for Ultimate? Why not?" And so that's in.

We also heard a lot of requests from our fans for a stage with many opportunities for players to knock their opponents off the stage, so that's why we brought back the Lost World stage.

Another request we heard a lot from our fans on was for a stage that has uneven grounding, like the undulations of a desert - and that's how we ended up putting in the Desert sage.

Since Momiji appears in DoA5 Ultimate now, we thought we definitely had to have a stage from the Ninja Gaiden series, so we brought over Sky City Tokyo and made it into a stage, as it's one of the settings that Momiji appeared in. We've tried to preserve the look and feel of Sky City Tokyo so it should feel very familiar to Ninja Gaiden fans.

Finally, there's this new stage that is really vast and great for Tag mode that we'd really like our fans to check out: the Aircraft Carrier stage.

Click image for larger version

KarbyP: Now let's switch gears for a bit and talk about one aspect that I think a lot of DOA players are anxious about: what sort of changes are you making to online to improve it?

Shimbori: Hmmm... where do I begin? There are just so many changes we're making to the online mode, and I guess the one that I can talk about now is that we've we've made improvements to alleviate an issue that players were experiencing with regards to not being able to join lobbies.

Another issue that we resolved from the original Dead or Alive 5 has to do with elements in the stages causing lag out scenarios previously.

But the changes we're making to online in Ultimate are not just bug fixes. There are some new elements as well, but I can't talk about them at this moment.

KarbyP: Finally, a message for all the Dead of Alive fans please!

Shimbori: Thank you for playing Dead or Alive 5. Because of the overwhelming feedback we received from all of you, we were able get another Dead or Alive game green-lit. We hope you'll enjoy Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate when it's out. Please look forward to it!

Character impressions

Momiji

Plays a little like a combination of Hayabusa and Ayane. She has Hayabusa's Izuna Drop launcher.

66PP is a 2-hit mid attack that launches the opponent, not unlike Ayane's 6PP. Her other main tool for launching is 3P.

236P+K is yet another launcher, but this one leads into an automatic air combo that's similar to an Izuna Drop (but doesn't actually end in the Izuna Drop).

The full command for the string is 236P+K, PP P+G.

Like Hayabusa, Momiji has several attacks that let her approach from the sky, but because she has a double-jump, you can trick your opponent by stopping the string with an ender, or opting to go for the double-jump and going for a different ender.

She also has some kind of magic move where she spins in a 360 and hits her opponent with a fire charm attached to the back of her hair - sort of like the hair attack Millia from Guilty Gear has.

Rachel

I did not notice the connection right away, but she's got many of Spartan-438's moves.

Her PPP and 1P (a low that trips your opponent up) work the exact same way as Spartan's did. Same for many of her kick moves.

However she has quite a few tricks of her own too. I don't believe Spartan had this, but one of the things I found interesting about Rachel is that she has a P, P, P+G string where she hits twice, and combos into the throw command which lets her flip over to her opponent's back, sort of like Fei Long's command grab. This can, however, be performed only once in a combo.

Her giant hammer swing animation thing that Shimbori talked about is one of her holds. There could be another way to activate the move, I'm not sure.

TS|Arturo Sanchez also sent in some more DoA5U footage from E3, which you can check out below. It happened around the time that the Beat a Pro challenge was going on with DOAMaster. Players had to beat him a round to win a Mad Catz FightStick. The crowd was going nuts, and everyone was hype for DoA. Plus there were some some special appearances from big DoA players like Chosen One, Swoozie, Shidosha, Tom Lee, etc.

In case you missed it, please read over part 1 of this interview here.

Comments

illness690 said on June 15, 2013 at 10 p.m.

werewolfgold said on June 15, 2013 at 10:20 p.m.

THIS GAME WILL NOT BE DENIED BY YOUR PUNY FILTER!

lol

LarsMasters said on June 15, 2013 at 10:21 p.m.

So no Jean Kujo & Aoi then, or even no Kage-Maru too

Kenshiro said on June 15, 2013 at 10:23 p.m.

^ Will appear in the inevitable crossover.

JesseRobles said on June 15, 2013 at 10:27 p.m.

VANESSA... BibleThump

Rocklee77 said on June 15, 2013 at 10:36 p.m.

@1 PLEASEKILLYOURSELF.jpg

TheTHCGamer said on June 15, 2013 at 10:42 p.m.

Well some people just didn't like DOA5 because they thought the game was masher friendly but in reality they just weren't any good at the game. I personally liked DOA5 it was a step in the right direction but this game does need to be at a 39.95 price point for me to buy it because after all its an update.

AnkiRendan said on June 15, 2013 at 10:51 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this, especially Momiji. I'd like to use her and Kasumi as a pair.

anthonygamer said on June 15, 2013 at 11:16 p.m.

#7 It's $60. Stop crying and move on.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 15, 2013 at 11:21 p.m.

Glad to hear some stuff in regard of online improvements. Hope we got some more throwback stages from DoA 2- DoA 3

Almighty_Omega said on June 15, 2013 at 11:25 p.m.

Allow us to see each others [DLC costumes] in DOA5U !!!

Galletano said on June 16, 2013 at 12:09 a.m.

@ 11
Agreed, why should I buy costumes if only I can see them.

Good to hear that the connection is receiving improvements. I hope is good dying to play good games online.

XxAngelChunLixX said on June 16, 2013 at 12:12 a.m.

New taunts? I really hope Helena gets some better ones.

JIHADJOE said on June 16, 2013 at 12:19 a.m.

all the taunts!

TheLaw said on June 16, 2013 at 12:46 a.m.

wheres all this 60 bucks nonsense coming from? i couldve swore they said 39.99

TheLaw said on June 16, 2013 at 12:49 a.m.

@1 im pretty sure you hate this game for how they portray women yet your avatar says otherwise lol #MSServed

AzureRedemption said on June 16, 2013 at 12:50 a.m.

Hajiki said on June 16, 2013 at 1:06 a.m.

@13 Better ones? Anything would be an improvement considering she's only had one taunt for the longest time.

TheTHCGamer said on June 16, 2013 at 1:13 a.m.

@9 Are you mental? How am I crying when I gave praise to the game but stated i refuse to pay 60 dollars for an update? Dumbass.

TheLaw said on June 16, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.

@19 5 new characters.. new stages... new moves new costumes... rehashed online..new modes.. ability to have your custom music for your character... added animations to tag teams... changed tag team health regeneration....possibly or more than likely new story mode. I wouldn't call all of this an " update ". it is likely it will be $40 though

jhayze said on June 16, 2013 at 1:24 a.m.

if its $40 (+tax) then i will give this game a try, if its full price $60 (+tax) its neither im gonna wait for a price drop or sale or never even bother buy the game, cuz i didnt even see nor hear any hype about this game on tourny or even any fgc scene, BUT im sucker for big tits and this game delivers it, so... im in a big dilemma here!?!

AugustAPC said on June 16, 2013 at 1:56 a.m.

Momiji, Kasumi and Mila. Can't wait to play :D

BloodyNights said on June 16, 2013 at 4:38 a.m.

Pre-ordering on Amazon for UDOA5 is $39.99 so I hope that puts out any rumors of it being 60 off. It is simply false information.

TheTHCGamer said on June 16, 2013 at 5:01 a.m.

@20 I'm calling this game an update because that's what it is an updated version of DOA5. Hell even the title of the game is DOA5 with ultimate added to it. The groundwork for this game was already done and even though SSFIV added 12 new characters with gameplay tweaks it was still an updated version of SFIV. It's also only cost 39.99 and same price point applies for most updated versions of fighting games this gen. I just find it strange that they haven't announced an official price yet for the full version but yea this update looks great.

TheTHCGamer said on June 16, 2013 at 5:37 a.m.

@23 Right on thank you just the info I was looking for and it looks like I'll be getting DOA5U.

Torrie_De_Goddess said on June 16, 2013 at 6:24 a.m.

I skipped the initial release (as I do with most fighters this gen) but will be purchasing this update. Loved the E3 trailers.

spades111 said on June 16, 2013 at 7:30 a.m.

That's disappointing. I thought they would fill in the last 2 character slots. Was thinking Tengu and either a new/original character or another VF cross over. People were hoping for Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue, well at least on some forums

XeroGravity said on June 16, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.

can you guys please give this series a filter, honestly i dont like it. i would like to filter it so i dont have to see it. no i am not bashing it. can you please get on this eventhubs?

Rocklee77 said on June 16, 2013 at 8:22 a.m.

@28 Derp.

Virtua_Kazama said on June 16, 2013 at 8:34 a.m.

I don't mind the finalized roster. But I am looking forward to using Jacky in DOA5 Ultimate, so I can have something to use as a backup to Leifang.

So far, this should be good.

Torrie_De_Goddess said on June 16, 2013 at 10:46 a.m.

Yes, Jackie is why I can't say no lol

CosmiicJourney said on June 16, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

He did only day that the roster is finalized. Not that each character we've seen make up the final roster.

TheTHCGamer said on June 16, 2013 at 12:28 p.m.

I personally feel there are far to many VF characters in DOA5 and now even more with Ultimate. Also I cant stand Jacky and Jann already filled that role of the Jeet Kune Do character. I would've loved more original DOA characters or one from past games. This is coming from person who's favorite fighting game franchise is VF (Probably smash bros too but that's more of a hybrid) Either way I had a lot of fun playing DOA5 so im sure its going to be the same case for DOA5U.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 16, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.

You do know that multiple characters sharing the same "fighting style" is a common occurrence in fighters (this game is no different) and Jacky plays fairly different then Jann. Although I agree they put in way too many VF characters for cameos.

Virtua_Kazama said on June 16, 2013 at 8:10 p.m.

Hold up, you're saying that 4 VF characters are too much? It's fine to me.

TheTHCGamer said on June 16, 2013 at 10:11 p.m.

@34 Still if your going to add another VF character couldn't we have gotten a more original one instead of another Bryant who does share the same fighting style with Jann? @35 Yes I LOVE VF but 4 is too many in my opinion 2 would've been just fine.

ElHiznahn said on June 17, 2013 at 7:09 a.m.

I don't know if anyone's asked, but did they redo the VF characters' voices? In DOA5, they just recycled VF4: FT(?) voices, which sounded awful.

Also, any info on DOA5 DLC transferring over? I'm glad I didn't buy any of that crap though.

Virtua_Kazama said on June 17, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

The voices were recycled from VF5 Vanilla and Final Showdown. However, I do believe they have added more voices.

EDIT: Yes, most of the DLC are transferred over.

YanDaMan said on June 17, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

Need more YEEEEAAAAH's from Jacky.

Kaneco said on June 18, 2013 at 8:53 a.m.

Did they already confirm that it's NOT coming out as DLC for people who have Vanilla DoA5 or is it yet to be confirmed? Never seen anyone ask the question during any of the interviews...