Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 14, 2013 at 10:16 p.m. PDT
Director: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is a reflection of the feedback we received - more gameplay footage from the show floor During E3 2013, EventHubs correspondent, KarbyP, caught up with Yohei Shimbori, director of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, to talk about the upcoming game.

Part one of his interview focuses on the system tweaks that the team made to the title, the play styles of Rachel and Leon, plus there's some footage thrown in for good measure.

You can find the rest of the content after the jump, but tomorrow evening we'll be posting the second part of the interview, which includes character impressions of Momiji and Rachel.

KarbyP: Tell us about what are the core gameplay changes you've made to DoA5 Ultimate.

Shimbori: Since we launched Dead or Alive 5, we received a lot of feedback from fans around the world. DoA5 Ultimate is a reflection of that feedback we received.

We've made numerous tweaks to the system, but the easiest one to perceive is probably the Power Launcher.

In the previous iteration, we had the Power Blow which was an attack you could use when your life was down to half or less, once per round. The Power Launcher is similar to that in terms of the activating conditions, but what it does is send your opponent flying into the sky, allowing players to follow-up with their custom juggle combos for massive damage, whereas the Power Blow sends your opponent flying into a wall.

Deciding when to use which of these two options is going to be a new tactical point that players will have to think about.

KarbyP: I see. Other than the Power Launcher are there any other game mechanic changes you could highlight?

Shimbori: The rest are not as easy to notice, but for instance, we've made quite a lot of changes to the Tag mode in DoA5U this time.

In previous Dead or Alive games when your partner is tagged out, that character can recover health for as long as he or she stays in the background — even all the way to full health. This time we've imposed restrictions on the amount of health that can be recovered (the maximum amount of recoverable health is decreased whenever you get hit; so basically it works like red health now).

We've also added a new attack option in Tag mode, called the Force Out which knocks your opponent's current character out of the ring to bring in the tag partner forcibly. After a successful Force Out, there are penalties like your opponent is not allowed to switch tag partners for a period of time, so paying attention and managing your health bars is quite necessary this time around, making it a higher-level game.

We've designed the new Tag mode for competitive, high-level players, and we hope that they will enjoy playing it in DoA5U.

KarbyP: This time at E3 you revealed Rachel and Leon. How was Rachel's fighting style conceptualized?

Shimbori: To put it simply, Rachel is a heayweight power-type fighter. She may actually be the first amongst the female fighters to be of that class, but basically her weight class is similar to that of Leon's.

As for her fighting style... I think that gamers who played Dead or Alive 4 might have noticed this already, but in DOA4 there was a certain guest character we had. [Since this is the Ultimate version of DoA5] we thought, "wouldn't there be fans who'd love to play this character again in DoA5?"

Unfortunately, due to certain obvious reasons we can't bring that character back into 5 anymore, right? Reporter's note: The DOA4 guest character Shimbori is referring to is Spartan-458, for the benefit of those of you who don't quite catch when he's getting at.

We'd love for fans who played Spartan-458 in DOA4 to give Rachel a shot. Her fighting style is quite similar to that of Spartan's. Spartan fights using the Close-Quarters Batte (CQB) combat style. Rachel fights using her fiend hunter style. Both are close-quarters styles, so they are quite similar in many regards.

KarbyP: Are there any special techniques you'd like players to notice about Rachel?

Shimbori: In Ninja Gaiden, Rachel has this move where she's swinging around the enemy on her giant hammer. In Dead or Alive Rachel can't bring weapons into the fight, but we've kept that move intact and tweaked it to be a bare-handed fighting technique instead.

Also, as she's a power-type character, even after performing an aerial grab on the opponent (putting him in a "bounce" state), Rachel can follow-up with more combo attacks after that.

KarbyP: What about Leon? Is he similar to the previous Leon? How is he different from Bayman?

Shimbori: Leon and Bayman have grown increasingly distinct from one another with each new iteration in the series.

But to put it simply, Bayman is about techniques. Whereas Leon is about power moves. So for instance this time Leon has a bunch of charge attacks that you can use to break the opponent's guard. He's a very direct fighter. We've also added a bunch of new throw moves for him, so please do give Leon a shot.

Part 2 of this interview is available here.

Comments

MetroCityPub said on June 14, 2013 at 10:17 p.m.

Looking good.

Echo01 said on June 14, 2013 at 10:23 p.m.

Rachel sounds like my character. Enjoyed playing Spartan in 4 for her simplicity, and because smacking around the opponent like a ragdoll just looked cool.

Galletano said on June 14, 2013 at 11:17 p.m.

Are trying to make it more jugglely? Don't make this a juggle feast.

TheTHCGamer said on June 14, 2013 at 11:37 p.m.

@2 Agreed.

JesseRobles said on June 14, 2013 at 11:39 p.m.

Rachel is a powerhouse then! Which means she's gonna be a poop tier like my homegurl Tina and all the other grappler/power characters. BibleThump

Rupix15 said on June 14, 2013 at 11:39 p.m.

#4 By your words i'm assuming u also hate the current Tekken, aren't u?
Well i'm with u 100% on this subject, i hate juggle feast game n i hate Tekken as well even though i'd been a Tekken maniac myself from Tekken 1 to 5DR.

Liberator said on June 15, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.

#7 gotta agree with both of you! Juggling in 3d fighting games is overrated! I wish Namco would make another Tekken game, that would be juggle free, like Tekken Tag Tournament 1 (the last juggle free Tekken game in the series!...)!

Galletano said on June 15, 2013 at 12:12 a.m.

#7 I don't hate juggles, I only hate it when it becomes they only way to win matches. I love how in DOA you have all this ways of fighting you can do combos, poking and mix ups , counters and trows. I love tekken but ttt2 is a juggle feast is the only way to win, so all you do is try to put your opponent up in the air. That is a snore feast too.

Rupix15 said on June 15, 2013 at 12:27 a.m.

#8 Tekken 4 was actually pretty decent, it's the most poking-based ground battle gameplay among the entire series, because in 4 they tried to direct it to be a bit more like VF IMO:)

#9 Totally, a snorefest.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 15, 2013 at 1:03 a.m.

Hopefully more throw-back stages come back. I remember on all the new stuff announced between E3 and release for vanilla DoA 5 so there is still a possibility for Ultimate.

LoveKokoro said on June 15, 2013 at 1:11 a.m.
Faethon81 said on June 15, 2013 at 1:42 a.m.

#8 Liberator:Amen to that.I like juggles to the point that are not match decisive.4-7 hard to land hits,10-15% damage tops.

MaRayearth said on June 15, 2013 at 4:14 a.m.

Those who criticize Tag 2 for having high damaging juggles must get hit pretty often by big launchers... therefore get blown up more often than not when they play. Guys, keep in mind both players can do combos, not just your opponent =O

Galletano said on June 15, 2013 at 5:33 a.m.

I criticize the juggles cuz I don't like to do them, they bore me, is not fun to do that over and over again. is the reason why I dropped the game. Is the reason why we call it snorefest. I love tekken but is becoming a juggle fest and is not a fun fest (at least not for me). If you enjoy it kudos :) hope you have all the fun that I didn't :(.

HyperViperNZ said on June 15, 2013 at 5:47 a.m.

They need to add coop tag battles online like they did in DOA4!

AriesWarlock said on June 15, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.

I like that they added more Ninja Gaiden characters, I like their styles so far. And yes, I don't like juggle fests eiter :S

AzureRedemption said on June 15, 2013 at 6:20 a.m.

Virtua_Kazama said on June 15, 2013 at 6:29 a.m.

Force out is like Snapbacks in MvC. Also, Power Launchers are for advanced DOA players who want to extend their combos and give out high damage, while Power Blows are for beginner DOA players who want high damage.

In DOA5, you could recover to full health in Tag mode. In DOA5 Ultimate, you can recover whatever is left on your red bar.

BoscaBat said on June 15, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

All 3D games are heavy on juggles if you know how to do them.

Anyways Rachel looks so cool and I love how she's a heavyweight, I actually thought Tina was but I guess not lol and the snapbacks are nice addition for the tag.

TheLaw said on June 15, 2013 at 8:51 a.m.

I'd rather see high damaging difficult combos than two idiots poking each other to death lol.... Even SF results in a combo fest... aka playing the stun game. When someone gets launched it's more than likely a whiff punish etc. Same with DOA/SF.

TheLaw said on June 15, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.

@19 I wouldn't say power blows are for beginners lol... Depends on the situation your in.

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on June 15, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.

Tekken? A juggle fest? And DoA trying to imitate it?
What a unique concept...

Sanox said on June 15, 2013 at 10:31 a.m.

i like the idea of the new launcher, but i dont like that it is another mechanic tied to having half health.

AugustAPC said on June 15, 2013 at 10:36 a.m.

Needs bigger boobs and more bounce.

No in all seriousness, I'm glad to see an update. I'm totally looking forward to playing Momiji.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 15, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

I'm looking forward to getting DOA5 Ultimate full version. I've got no regret for getting DOA5 & DOA5+ (unlike most people) so I got no problem with getting DOA5 Ultimate. (Since I know that the fighter genre in general will make multiple versions since the 90s)

@25 The "Needs bigger boobs and more bounce." would be something that certain Japanese fans would be asking for.

GrimmjawJin said on June 15, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

I too don't like juggle2win fighting games. The good thing about tekken revolution is that it doesn't have bound. Changed the game dramatically and made it more fun for me.

This is going to be my first DOA game so I'm looking forward to it.

cikame said on June 15, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

At this point the juggles in most of the recent fighting games are longer than Tekken's :P. I only noticed when i went back to it recently.

XxAngelChunLixX said on June 15, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

I hate fighting they Heavy characters...(Bayman, Bass, Gen Fu etc.) I always have to cut my combo in half for them.. :(

But more importantly, since they "Tweaked the Tag Mode", and "Listened to fan feedback",..... I WANT TAG CO-OP ONLINE!!

Technically_BetR said on June 15, 2013 at 11:10 p.m.

All good Galletano, I'm with you bro, Tekken is far to juggle focused now. Use to actually feel like a pay off in the old games, now its just by the numbers. Now you can get bound off counter sweeps while rising? Loooool. Marayearth didn't know Tekken existed before 6. He'd get "blown up" in Revolution, no bounds for bro, old fashioned dash jabs for that damage and wall carry son. How are those backdash cancels coming brah?