Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 13, 2013 at 8:36 a.m. PDT
Updates on the way for Tekken Revolution include characters, game modes, additional stages and customization option Leader of the Tekken project, Katsuhiro Harada, had one message loud and clear for fans — we're not done updating the newly released Tekken Revolution.

Harada said that updates to characters, game modes, additional stages, and a customization option are all on the way, and he may have hinted that a Vs. and practice mode could be added, but the latter bit depends on how you read his Tweets.

If you're a fan of Tekken revolution, or feel the game is lacking in certain aspects, stay tuned, cause it sounds like Namco Bandai has quite a bit up their sleeve planned for the free-to-play title. Here's the rundown from Harada, hit the jump to read everything.

IAreBeMrLee: Harada, you're an absolute #legend man! Tekken Revolution is quality!

Harada: Thanks. We will keep updating characters and modes.

Lara32_lara: Will their be any new stages for Tekken Revolution? I definitely would love to see new stages in the near future.

Harada: Will be.

Bigimpactpooch: Loving Tekken Revolution! Need more info. Add a customize characters look option.

Harada: Please for update.

ItsWillus: Harada-San, will there be updates to Tekken Revolution in the future? Vs. Mode? Practice mode?

Harada: We will keep update. Stay tuned.

Comments

L_Z_N said on June 13, 2013 at 8:40 a.m.

Yay, more Tekken coverage from EH.

Meety said on June 13, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

Can I say now that is the best free to play fighting game ever now?

Hexelf said on June 13, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

Even though I'm used to bound-combos, I like doing old school juggles. This game has so much potential!

gohan16ken said on June 13, 2013 at 8:51 a.m.

I know this maybe a little off topic but I have to ask. Does this mean that TxSF will not come out until 2014? With the exception of SC5, most fighting games are announced at least one year before their release. Which mean that TxSF will not come out until June 2014. Also, with Tekken, Namco always released it into arcade first before console. Now with TR and its future investment, TxSF won't be happening for a while. I am assuming that because it seems that companies do not multitask with creating multiple fighting games at once nor do they release it close to each other. Do we have any idea what is taken them so long to make TxSF? And what is the reason for them releasing this? Why not just update TTT2? Or just put all their time and energy in TxSF? Thanks.

@Meety, I thought this was the first ever free to play fighting game.

bunny said on June 13, 2013 at 8:55 a.m.

awesome game i like old school tekken best so for me this is like a dream come true....heres a tip for those looking for practice mode Change your system language to a area you think wont have alot of players and just set up a online match and use the mode provided not a perfect fix but it works @_@

illness690 said on June 13, 2013 at 8:55 a.m.

Aluppoj said on June 13, 2013 at 8:57 a.m.

This is also off topic... Wtf was Capcom's "Big Announcement"?

Please tell me it wasn't Dead Rising 3?

On topic... This Free game is pretty fun.

thiagoeis said on June 13, 2013 at 8:58 a.m.

@7 I think it was Megaman in Smash Bros. D:

Lozjudai said on June 13, 2013 at 9:02 a.m.

Just add versus mode so i can play it with my brother

Galletano said on June 13, 2013 at 9:05 a.m.

1) don't wait for txsf, they want people to fall in love with this game. This free to play is good, the game still looks in beta test. Also arcades my never see Txsf.

2) there where some other fighting games that where free to play, in the top of my head is DOA, TN tryed released a beta via pc. The game was left at that just a beta.

daisetsu said on June 13, 2013 at 9:14 a.m.

i dont expect TxSF happening in the next 2 years honestly. Harada hinted that something was brewing for Tekken's 20th anniversary which is next year. I doubt that Tekken's 20th anniversary would have something to do with another fighting game.

bunny said on June 13, 2013 at 9:18 a.m.

seriously guys using the method i described above you can practice for awhile sat there an hour no problem practing 10 chains thanks for the free tekken its great

Tensa said on June 13, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

This the best free game I've played in awhile all they gotta add is training mode an I'm set

Duggs26 said on June 13, 2013 at 9:26 a.m.

Great game, like the edits to the stages and I especially like the OST

Doomed2laugh said on June 13, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.

nice

m1x4h said on June 13, 2013 at 9:37 a.m.

They announced on the Unity site the big announcement was DR3 and the "new Megaman stuff" was the Smash brothers.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 13, 2013 at 9:46 a.m.

So far I'm pretty impress with Tekken Revolution, and with the good details with free to play...

Tekken Revolution gameplay almost reminds me like the older Tekken games. (before 6-TTT2) Character details, lighting, and visuals looks like a huge improvement from TTT2. (TTT2 doesn't have bad details itself, certain parts of the background can be blurry sometimes) Part of the online needs work and when I got disconnected (I didn't even rage quit) then gotten a plenty for disconnecting which was unfair for the player that didn't rage quit at all. Overall Tekken Revolution is impressive and parts of their features will remind you of the Arcades.

The Free to Play for the fighter genre isn't as bad as what they think it is if you ask me. Part of the coins & ticket features from Tekken Revolution reminds me the good old gaming days of what Arcades were like when you had to pay money to get some tokens and pay tokens/money to play Arcade games. Also the Free to Play could even serve like the full retail version of the game except free, (plus pay extra characters & certain modes) After watching the interview from Max. with Killer Instinct. I can almost see a huge improvement on the way how we get to try out games without paying full price, even buying the games, or paying to rent the game. Free to Play can serve as an option to choose if we want to get the game for free (even choose to buy the extra the stuff which is in the full version) or pay for the full retail versions.

So I would support Free to Play to become part of the fighter genre from taking Arcades place, (since Arcades are disappearing from the Western Countries) To serve as an upgrade for Beta versions/Alpha Demos, (like DOA5 Alpha Demo & Playstation All-Stars Beta) and lastly to become an option for players to either get the free to play version (pay pieces of the full retail version) or can pay for the full retail versions. This Free to Play looks like something that can really improve the fighter genre after what I've learned so far, I can't wait for the future.

dro2191 said on June 13, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

nice way to get into tekken i do hope what features they add and analyze in this game is used in conjunction with tekken x sf,

Smorgasboard said on June 13, 2013 at 9:55 a.m.

Don't expect TxSF on consoles before 2015. I never understood why people thought that it would be out this year.

Also, Harada doesn't seem to have any problem with Revolution so it's probably not the reason for the heated conversation.

BumblebeeCody said on June 13, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

This game confuses the hell out of me. I mean the point of it? What exactly do you get from playing this? Restrictions up the arse when you could play TTT2 for hours on end with everything available to you? Why would anyone even consider this game even being worth playing?

illness690 said on June 13, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

xShonuffx said on June 13, 2013 at 10:08 a.m.

Lots of positive feed back? Im gonna have to check this out.

Smorgasboard said on June 13, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.

When you don't see money as a problem, you don't see free as a benefit.

illness690 said on June 13, 2013 at 10:18 a.m.

Fightingfan69 said on June 13, 2013 at 10:19 a.m.

I want to get back into tekken but there is no training option in this. That is something they should put in for new players and returning players that haven't played in a long time

SolxBaiken said on June 13, 2013 at 10:20 a.m.

*puts up flame shields*

Revolution is one of the most insulting f2p games I've played in awhile. Restricting and controlling a user's play habits is just terrible. The current always online mentality is also bad. Also limiting the roster [of those available, not in general] and making unlocks random is just ugh.

I would have gladly paid some $15~30 for a full standalone title like Dark Resurrection Online because outside of the things above the game is actually pretty nice and I really enjoy it. Hopefully they'll just provide a "premium" membership where you can pay for a wealth of features at once [characters, customize items -because you know these will be micro-transactions-, increased coin limits, etc]

Smorgasboard said on June 13, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.

There were no training mode in the Arcades and they managed. Do the same.

BumblebeeCody said on June 13, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.

@illness690 #24
and thus why I find this whole thing pathetic. You're giving the excuse "it's free" as in "give this game a pass on it's crappy level of quality"
Pay £15 for TTT2 with EVERYTHING available to you, OR, keep spending £3.99 on 'play coins' to continue playing meaning, you're going to be paying out the arse just to keep playing. A one time payment of around £20 at most(from re/e-tailers) for TTT2 or continue paying £3.99 play coins for hardly any characters and none of the features(huge customisation, all the online features, full 50+ roster, even a training mode etc etc) that made TTT2 so special.

See my point? This is one of the most incredibly bad F2P games I've ever seen. This type of model benefits no-one, especially when they only allows you to play arcade mode once an hour and any online match every 30 minutes. Restrictions, restrictions.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 13, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.

#2 Only one atm until DoA5U drops. Killer Instinct III I believe will also do this.

Ok this is good to hear. I found the game as-is incredibly lacking so future updates would do this game good.

On a side note, where is that one dude who always appears in these FTP game articles ranting on how all FTP is the devil or whatever lol?

TrueGamingGuru said on June 13, 2013 at 10:34 a.m.

@20 What you get from Tekken Revolution is parts of the gameplay is different from TTT2, (almost reminds me of the other Tekken games before 6-TTT2) way more improved details from Characters & Stages, (Tekken Revolution looks like the upgrade from TTT2) Plus parts of the feature that is similar to Soul Calibur IV with Character Enhancement. Why would anyone consider Tekken Revolution worth playing? Its different which is not like TTT2, It is very fun for Tekken veterans, and Tekken Revolution coins & tickets is like the good era of the gaming generation which is Arcades.

@20 & 26 Your problem with parts of Tekken Revolutions makes you sound like you have no experiences with what Arcades were like. (no offensive) Honestly you should read my comment #17, Free to Play isn't as bad as what you people think it is. Trust me I know it and I'm very open minded.

Syirine said on June 13, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.

i would really like a real version of this game to be honest.

SolxBaiken said on June 13, 2013 at 10:46 a.m.

@ #31

I know what an arcade is like, but that's not a justifiable excuse, this is a poor model. I agree, f2p doesn't have to be bad, but Revolution's is. DoA5U and KI are doing it right, offering you a glorified demo in which you can purchase more characters separately to try out or just go for the full experience (and no doubt save alot of money). Revolution is telling you how to enjoy the game, and that's just terrible.

cinnamonpirate said on June 13, 2013 at 10:49 a.m.

@26 and 32
Why don't you just get TTT2? It's already $30 everywhere.

BumblebeeCody said on June 13, 2013 at 10:49 a.m.

@TrueGamingGuru #31
I don't hate free2play. I enjoyed the hell out of Tekken Card Tournament and will continue to support TCT once the physical cards are released. That's Free2Play done this. Tekken Revolution is an example of watering down what the console version offers and then asking to pay for a lesser experience. TR has no-where near even close the amount of characters and features that TTT2 offers, when you may as well play the full retail(or digital) release of TTT2 because that's essentially what this is. This seems more like a game mode that should've been in TTT2 than it's own game. The worst part is that I have to wait an hour for arcade and 30 minutes for online when I could table flip the entire process and play TTT2 for a solid 8 hours with everything available to me.

My point is that it's far too similar in design to TTT2 so you may as well play that game because the amount of money you're going to pump into play coins will amount to more than if you just bought TTT2.

I agree with you on one point, in that the juggle system is very reminiscent of the Tekken series BEFORE bounds. Closest to Tekken 5. Also, I have put in plenty of time on this.
Level 15 Brawler with Lars and 32 wins (incase anyone thinks I'm mindlessly hating)

SMITUS said on June 13, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.

Tbh, I really enjoy this game. Yeah I can just pop TTT2 into my 360 and play that, but my 360 can't read discs anymore :(. So I'm stuck with this. And I don't mind it. The game may use TTT2 stages and the characters are pretty much the same, it just feels different from TTT2. Not necessarily easier, just more comfortable. Walking back is actually walking back, and leveling up seems kinda cool. I don't like how we have to have "coins" just to use certain modes, and the lack of a proper training mode is perplexing, I see it more than just a cheap cash-in. But hey, to each of his own. Anyway can't wait for the update.

SolxBaiken said on June 13, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

@ #34

I do own Tag 2 [bought it at launch] but I actually do think the gameplay of Revolution is interesting and fun [essentially Tekken 5.9, and I'm one one of those people who enjoyed 5 more than 6] so I'm sad that they ruined a nice game with a terrible business model, and not speaking out against it would just let Bamco know they can get away with it in the future, which is the last thing I want to see them do

MrWow12 said on June 13, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

I think I'd be the only one to be happy if they took their time in making TxSF. Hopefully no later than 2015 though.

Dblock209 said on June 13, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

To everyone complaining about running out of coins or just bashing the game as a whole.... Let me just say two things.....

1. It's a free to play game, come on now, you pay nothing to play it.

2. You obviously really suck, I haven't spent a dime on the game yet I've never ran out of time to play. Seems like every time I turn around, I'm given more Premium tickets for winning matches. Maybe say..... Don't suck so bad?

I guess I have a 3rd as well.... This game isn't geared towards us players who already have TTT2,this is for everyone else who wants to give Tekken a try.

Stop acting like Namco owes you anything.... IT'S FREE TEKKEN FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

FakeVariable said on June 13, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.

This game is pretty fun. Not really sure what everyone is complaining about, you don't have to spend money if you don't want to. Stop taking it so seriously, it's not like they want this to be their new competitive title, there isn't even a versus mode. This is a free game to get new people into Tekken and give people familiar with it something fun to mess around with.

illness690 said on June 13, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

Aluppoj said on June 13, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

@8, 16

Thanks guys.

Cool to see MegaMan again.. But beyond that, another "Huge Announcement" failure. At least as pertains to Capcom FG fans. (I.E. No Darkstalkers or SF4)

Syirine said on June 13, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

@34 I have TT2 sir but I like 1 on 1.

Smorgasboard said on June 13, 2013 at 11:35 a.m.

I think people who like free to play see the glass as half full while people who don't like it see the glass as half empty.

It's obvious from how one group focus on what they can do while the other focus on what they can't.

Luckily, we can all enjoy either TR or TTT2. Let's do more of that.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 13, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

@35 Even if Tekken Revolution is almost like a watered down from TTT2 console content, but Tekken Revolution in its own right (don't have to agree on anything) is different & gives certain players a reminder of Arcades. (That is if they ever played Arcades, before Arcade places got shut down which sucks) Sometimes a huge number of characters don't matter. Part of TTT2 is more like a collection of characters that came from Tekken 1-6, so its more like a dream match than an actual Tekken sequel. (just saying) For TTT2 content features and overall experiences for me. (I've played 100% of TTT2 unlike mainstream reviewers) Even if TTT2 has plenty of content features, there was parts of TTT2 from the console versions that feels a bit of a downgrade from Tekken 6. I didn't felt much satisfied with TTT2, could've been better. (oh well)

The waiting for Arcades is common in real life when people were playing on Arcade Machines, heck even Arcades is what makes fighter games stand out well. You might as well say you prefer the console version of TTT2, because TTT2 had Arcades in Japan & parts of Asia. (You'd have to wait to play TTT2)

Parts of the design is similar to TTT2, but Tekken Revolution is more upgraded. (I've played TTT2 on my PS3, eventually play it on Wii U) From females having improved faces, part of TTT2 made me think when I see a female face closer I ask myself "is it me or does the female face models look the same from each other?", plus parts of the stages of Tekken Revolution is actually more detailed than TTT2 and has more detail lighting. (certain stages weren't necessary or certain colors don't match the theme of the stage which is minor.)

Its just Tekken Revolution is something different and is actually worth to play in its own right. (even if not everyone is interested, in the rules of gaming you can't please everyone) Heck I at least didn't call you out as a hater. (which would've been pointless, and part untrue.)

Mexican_Guy said on June 13, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

Well, I'm liking Tekken Rev, It remaind me so much of the old (good)Tekken, I'm one of those who didn't liked the bound system, also unlocking characters is great, that was one of the things that made me play non stop on older Tekken, I haven't feel any of the restrictions so far, if you win yo'll get extra coins or tickets to keep playing, if you lose, then just go to arcade, really liking this Tekken.

thiagoeis said on June 13, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.

Well, I liked the game. I haven't played Tekken since Psone and this one felt good. Played Tekken 6 once and didn't played TTT2 yet (bought DOA5 instead lol), so I can't compare 2 Tekkens to get to a better conclusion. xDD

I know that feeling. I was hoping to see Alpha 4 or DS 4. :(

fxtricky said on June 13, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.

Fist and foremost is the fact i dont think anyone in their right mind would hate Free2Play in theory it works. But in the actual scheme of things they could have brought out a reduced price game that didnt nickle and dime certain people or target audiance if you will.

Before you bash me down hear this out. I myself have not lost any match iv played i dicked around with it the other night even played against my cusin and all but i was seeing somthing i knew smelled fishy. First off the fact you have to keep the game on to replinish ticks/coins is silly for those that cant win with there being so many that abuse the juggle system that tekken should not have. Sorry hit boxes should not hit they way they do if so then it should have had DI like in Soul Calibur but thats another argument. The thing is you run out of coins want to play have to buy tickets now think in long run in the arcades yeah you plucked 50cents in and what not you might have spent 30 bucks in a few months of playing but back then you had no options. Now there is tekken whatever number for about 10 to 15 bucks vs paying say 5 dollars for 30 turns that you can and most likey loss.Add that up a few times if you want your bang for your buck the perants and those that want to can only have 999 times to play it unlike the pc world were for the most part cash shops keep things running at a brisk pace so long as it isnt pay to win model. Do the math though 999x5 bucks a pop and your looking at some money that you get no return and no benefit from besides exp.

Keep in mind when you win someone else has to take the fall also. Copy paste cop out job to be the first to market and out the gate shows the copy paste to bite off of tecmos idea is silly and shobby business to make a few dollars on stuff by default we have played. Hence the super fast reason to update and add modes they knew from jump should have been there whether we payed or not. DOA on the other hand 4 char are unlocked from jump and all modes are free to play besides your xbox live sub or whatever and you can choose to buy the char for around 3 bucks if you add this up around 20 char for those that are collectoids youd spend around 45 bucks to have at the least all chars in game and no story mode. Fact is you can buy the retail ver witch im sure is gunna be around 60 and when you look at the fact everyone and their moma pplays capcom fighters they will drop the price like they did on the first game. If your going to bite off ideas(Namco/whoever) Do it right in most cases. This is shobby business at best to make a fast dollar or a test to see if it catches on similar to xbox1 drm crap if it dos then it will become mainstay and we will be paying for portions of a game every stage just to finish the game in the future. Its not the worse way to dick people but its still a dick move untill they add practice and vs to the package. At least it isnt pay to win.

Now go ahead and bash all you like.

TheTHCGamer said on June 13, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

@42 This was expected CAPCOM stated they were going to take the wait and see approach with fighting games next gen. On top of that they want to take full advantage of the power of the console its no mystery that games look better over time. The biggest reason is CAPCOM is going to wait till the next gen consoles have a larger install base before they start investing money to make a new fighting game.

Its a bad time to release a fighting game with next gen consoles looming around and its probably a good idea to wait till more people have them before creating one. KI is the only next gen fighting game announced at E3. On top of that the only other fighting game being released this gen that comes to mind is BB chrono phantasma and smash bros. As far as SSFIV goes I don't think It would be worth the time and effort to announce another update to SFIV at E3.

It would be better to announce the released date for the next SSFIV update at a big tournament.

Erichful said on June 13, 2013 at 12:28 p.m.

TTT2 VITA pleeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeee....

bunny said on June 13, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

bs been playin this since it dropped haven't spent a cent everytime i turn it on i get tickets or coins you all are just bitchin to hear yourselves bitch imo. And if you cant figure out how to get the training mode to last for hours your just stupid and should quit playing games altogether just because there isn't a traing mode option per say doesn't mean there is no training mode dont be stupid.

Honeyman said on June 13, 2013 at 12:49 p.m.

To anyone in this thread that has tried to be rationale towards the disgusted members: don't bother. These are the people for who reasonable explanations and stating the facts don't register. I would be bold enough to suggest that they can't help but complain as it is something they are too used to.

Complaining about FTP is about as useful as rejecting clean water when you're massively dehydrated and your throat's parched. It doesn't help to be stubborn or difficult in a clearly reasonable situation.

Don't like it? Don't play. Own Tekken Tag 2? Put it in the drive, play. Don't want to buy that? Play Tekken Revolution. Rinse and repeat.

JUSTDRINKOE said on June 13, 2013 at 12:56 p.m.

noob_blasta said on June 13, 2013 at 1:55 p.m.

I've not played tekken since the first or second one of these. Never really liked 3d fighters and never got into this series so I think a game model like this is perfect for me. Ill def give it a shot and see what it's like.

TheDeadTexan said on June 13, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

Played it last night. It's pretty good. Just hate the BS token system that baits you into spending money.

Capturinggod200 said on June 13, 2013 at 4:39 p.m.

I think most people are complaining because they now realise how much they relied on the bound and tag combo system to easily win one sided fights against a volleyball welcome to old school tekken find a way to juggle.

TheDeadTexan said on June 13, 2013 at 5:38 p.m.

I don't remember old-school Tekken having invincible super moves

Capturinggod200 said on June 13, 2013 at 7:03 p.m.

I was talking about the fighting mechanics smart person besides these moves are just moves they already had just a little stronger and special effects added and they are easily to block unlike bound+tag combo volleyball attack that kills literally your whole health bar should've had aerial counter or cccccccombo breaker and all this complaining proves they relied too much on the bound system which made juggle combo easy to access/spam.

doomfanatiq said on June 13, 2013 at 7:25 p.m.

@48 when u win at arcades people who lost took the fall too...
I actually like the fact that this motivates players who get salty after losses to get better instead of trolling online without fear of losing your arcade 'tokens', point of this f2p thing is u pay to get better like the good old arcade feel where u actually pay for your tokens to challenge the better players and learn.
It also work for causal players to try out this game and if they like it, they spend more to buy tokens like in arcade ? If you hate this model basically it means u haters just want arcades to completely disappear just cause the loser have to take the fall for spending tokens to get better lol ?

RaiLoves said on June 25, 2013 at 6:56 p.m.

Just love it

joshbuddha said on June 29, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.

LEI WULONG SERIOUSLY please let this be one of the characters added I miss my stances TIGER STYLE