Shadow Linkers in new Killer Instinct currently add between 10-12% damage to combos, 57% damage setup shown

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 13, 2013 at 11:03 a.m. PDT
Shadow Linkers (think EX moves) in the new Killer Instinct add between 10-12% damage to combos, in the current build of the game. While this could change as development continues, a combo doing 57% damage, and using two meters, is shown off in the video below by Maximilian, with the help of Double Helix Games' Dave Verfaille.

Notable details from the short, but very informative 5 minute video include that it's possible to combo after landing a throw, every fighter will have between 3-4 special moves and they'll all be Shadow Linkable, and that one of the best ways to gain meter is to have your opponent block attacks. They show a specific example of a fireball being blocked full screen netting about 20% meter for the projectile thrower.

Make sure you watch the video below for all of the details.

Comments

diddysinatra said on June 13, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.

It's possible for JAGO alone to combo after a throw as far as they've said, right? Also, I submitted a tip about Shadow Jago being an exclusive (for a period of time) character bonus for getting the Day One 12 Month Gold card.

SHADOW
JAGO

Definitely getting that, lol

TwoCoins said on June 13, 2013 at 11:27 a.m.

Unfortunately for me XBOX one is not worth it just to get this game. It Also makes it easier that it's from an unproven dev since they have a lot of hype to live up to, i suspect many will be disappointed. Just because they have a "background" or love some and understood fighting games doesn't mean they can make an amazing one. I mean proven developers in the genre drop the ball themselves on occasion even "SFxT"

So, i fret i wont even get to play this one, unless its on PC. But i'm okay with that since by the time this comes out im sure Guilty Gear Xrd or whatever Capcom has in store will be out around by then too.

JMJ_X said on June 13, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.

I doubt there's going to be a capcom fighter by November when this game comes out.. This game has such a fan base that it doesn't matter what console it is... A lot of people (key word.... PEOPLE)will buy it. IMO if your a gamer and you see a game that you like you will get it B.A.M necessary.

EG2 said on June 13, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.

Aren't they using 360 controllers, which don't work on the One? Thanks MS.

MontoniBeatdown said on June 13, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

well there goes my answer about using 360 fight sticks, hes using a 360 fightstick on KI, and if they change that MS and DH you blow

oghaggard said on June 13, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

This all sounds... pretty bad. Unless the actual timer per round is set at like 30 seconds by default, ha ha... I'm okay with a fast-paced fighter, sure, but just don't set the clock to 99 seconds like a bunch of dummies if that's your goal...

JMJ_X said on June 13, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

even if there going to be brain dead easy there are many ways to stop people from doing them like the combo breaker system. This why I like this game because you can open your opponent by switching your meta on a fly. Such as manuals, linkers, auto doubles, openers, enders and more

JMJ_X said on June 13, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

there using the new Xbox One fighticks that just came out

Jordouche said on June 13, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

Everyone will forget about this game when a next-gen capcom fighter comes out...

AriesWarlock said on June 13, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

But will there be finishing moves like in the previous games?

JumpMan33 said on June 13, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

its possible that Madcatz put Xbox1 PCBs into older 360 fightsticks cases just for this show to save some money.

TwoCoins said on June 13, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Ok this is a launch title? And they only have 2 characters to show with not all the moves from KI1 and 2? I'm guessing the game will release with an incomplete roster and release more as they come along then? I guess that was expected in this format. So buying the delux edition is basically a season pass.

AAKZ said on June 13, 2013 at 11:55 a.m.

Wait... so let me get this straight, our current sticks won't work on the XB1? Making KI a 700$ fighting game. F--k this while thing to hell. Most sabotaged fighter in gaming history.

JasonLee said on June 13, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on June 13, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

Where is Jago 's slide kick? Nothing worse than a remake game losing moves.

MrQ said on June 13, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

Danger moves, Stage Fatalities, Ultimates, Humilliation dance? How about thos huge zoom out view for big launchers on Ultra Combos?

What happened to "uuuultraaa cooomboooo" and now it's juts "uuultraaaaaaaa" ?

So where's KI2 Jago slide? Sabrewulf's bat projectile?

fxtricky said on June 13, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

Im calling broke as hell. They got nerve even attemping to justify the combo system they have it could be nice if it was back and forth but matchs are gunna come down to slapping fest or MvC 1 and 2ish you wiff match over 30 seconds. Doesnt sound fun on paper or in actual play. For whatever reason those games are popular because of that i have no clue. The meter crap needs turned down for sure they need to go back to the pavement with that setup. Screw the chalkboard. If they put some kind of stamina background jazz the biting on capcom will be complete and they will have a crumb bum games for it all the same. CMON SON!!!!

Morale/True Story
Never i mean never ever bite off something you cant chew and or reproduce correctly. If you want to be different yet keep ideals in line with 2d or 3d then do that and innovate the wheel. I truely miss the old days when people had to actually bust ass to make a game and have it appeal because it was different. Now with all this copping out and running these companies ar doing i feel like my money is used for a rat race of dev teams to wet behind the ears to try.

Swafflong said on June 13, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

I personally don't care if this is an xbox one exclusive, if this is sick and there are (in my opinion) better exclusives on the xbox one, im getting the xbox one. I'm not a microsoft fanboy, in fact I hate the company with a passion. I just decided that i'll just go with whatever has better games instead of following all these people that are saying the xbox is done so early.

ZenTzen said on June 13, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

so you like bending over and take it as long as they wave something shinny in front of your face, is that it.

Nothing wrong with that philosophy of following what has the better games, i believe in that as well to a certain degree, but lets be real here, sometimes people need to draw a freaking line in the sand and say enough is enough.

knuckz said on June 13, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

@20 please stop. your comment looks like a sales pitch for sony. you dont like xbox? then dont get it. but dont bring your ignorance to someone who wants one just because YOU dont like it thats very childish

padrelucas said on June 13, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

Not impressed until now.

fecalfeast said on June 13, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.

Some people aren't only basing their purchase on games or fanboyism.

PC gaming master race reporting in.

gammabolt17 said on June 13, 2013 at 1:03 p.m.

"got damn fool reporting in*

fixed that for ya.

MontoniBeatdown said on June 13, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

@9 your obviously blind, those aren't the new TE2s, just cause the start and back button have writing underneath the button, the TE2s have a symbol on the button themselves. also the there's red blue yellow and green face buttons, TE2s dont. get ur eyes fixed and look at the bigger picture MS and DH; those are legit 360 fight sticks

and if its on PC, then 360 fight stick should work indefinitely for x1. cause whats the point of it being called a USB? if its not Universal? thanks MS if you completely ruin that!!

SummerUndercover said on June 13, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

While most of us can agree that the XBox One is utter garbage, I think we can also agree that this game is going to bring the hype. Love fast-paced fighting games. I'm so bummed it's not coming out on the PS4.

Anyways, I'm really hoping to see Kim Wu and Riptor make the roster. Kim was my girl in KI Gold, and as far as Riptor goes, there hasn't been a legitimate dinosaur character in fighting games for a long time. Yes, I'm aware of Alex in Tekken, but come on... Alex doesn't bite or slash. I know Riptor peaced out during the events of KI, but hearing that they're going to be bringing Cinder back (a character who also died in the first game) gives me hope.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on June 13, 2013 at 1:53 p.m.

Microsoft owns Rare.

How can you be disappointed that the game isn't on the ps4?

JMJ_X said on June 13, 2013 at 1:58 p.m.

Well I don't know what stick there using then but KI is an Xbox One game so I put to mind that there the new sticks. Ok done with that....anyway They have a controller breakdown on IGN for the XB1 pad and if you think about it.... I personally wont think last gen fight sticks will not work. They added 40 features to the pad so is highly doubtful that old sticks will work.

SummerUndercover said on June 13, 2013 at 2:01 p.m.

How can I be disappointed that the game isn't on the ps4? What kind of question is that? I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to answer that.

And really, Microsoft owns Rare? The National Enquirer is going to pay big money for news like this.

Come on, man.

MontoniBeatdown said on June 13, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

@jmj x; the proof is right infront of you and you still believe that those are the new fightsticks. you deff need ur eyes checked again, yes they added 40 features to the pad. not fightstick. let me break this down to you

TE2 http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/11/mad-c...

TE http://madmind75.blogspot.com/2010/06...

now go ahead and tell me that those are the new TE2s there using in the video. proof is right infront of you yet again, tell me im wrong

bakedninja38122 said on June 13, 2013 at 2:27 p.m.

I'm right with you bro. I'm buying the system that has the better appealing and interesting GAMES. So far that is definitely XboxOne. I'm not a hivemind nor am I a sheep. I am full aware of the drawbacks that XboxOne has but at the end of the day these are "Gaming Consoles".. We play games on them, so whichever one has the better appealing games to me, will get my money. Simple as that.

So far the only thing that I've gotten for the PS4 lovers is the hate for XboxOne and bashing everything about. Hardly any mention of exciting exclusives or something that they have a true passion for. Destiny is the ONLY game for it that caught my eye. Other than that, nothing else has intrigued me. I'm not much of a used game buyer, borrower or sharer.

And I'm quite certain, at the end of the day, Microsoft will put a little leeway on the online check-in. I'm guessing they'll switch it from 24 hours to something more reasonable. Either way, I'm hype for KI, DR3, TitanFall, Ryse and Halo.. Probably won't buy anymore games for the rest of the year

YanDaMan said on June 13, 2013 at 2:35 p.m.

Want this game.

Dont want Xbox One.

The world is an unfair place.

brasssmunkye said on June 13, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.

EH, please, just stop posting anything about this game, stop trying to make xbone happen, it really shouldn't happen.

TheMAMBA said on June 13, 2013 at 2:46 p.m.

Killer Instinct is bringing the hype. And for all you haters our there...every fighting game professional that has played Killer Instinct have nothing but good things to say about it. Its being called the most hyped fighting game since Street Fighter 4. Day 1 buy for me. Cant wait!

HASJ said on June 13, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

Shadow Linkers existed before EX moves. Just saying.
Xbox One sucks. Just sayan...

Endless_X_Chaos said on June 13, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.

I haven't seen one person say anything about CCCOOMMMBOO BBBREEAAKKEERR!!! so all these combos we have seen should be meaningless. And if they removed those from this game, that just made it take one hell of a hit besides it being on jokebox1.

Chunners said on June 13, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

Why is this Xbox exclusive again?

knuckz said on June 13, 2013 at 3 p.m.

and destiny is multi platform so xbox one gets it along with ff xv and kingdom hearts. only decent LOOKING game i saw was imfamous second son.

knuckz said on June 13, 2013 at 3:03 p.m.

people always crack okes on xbox it makes me sick. its like the ps4 had nothing interesting at all seeing is how all people cant talk about is xbox one good or bad. smh just sad man

Alcheymyst said on June 13, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

Because Microsoft owns RARE ?????

BlankaBeast said on June 13, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

MICROSOFT has cut ALL TIES to the older successful system(360) by:

making older pads not work even though they are USB and plug-able

So they are practically asking people to move to PS4 - the fact that I own a 360 does not help me stick with MS

JMJ_X said on June 13, 2013 at 4:39 p.m.

Jesus man give it a rest....... If you payed attention to what I said then you wouldn't be saying anything.. The second time I said: I don't know what stick there using to operate the Xbox One game........ But it gave me a conclusion since MS said they don't support 360 sticks, that there using some type of new stick or prototype to operate the game. I know it doesn't look like the new fight stick.. I figured that out already after I jump the gun a bit when I commented about it first.

Endless_X_Chaos said on June 13, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

i saw combo breakers in a match so i have to take back my comment. still exclusivety (adding it to webster's)will prolly kill this game, which sucks. i have been waiting over 10 yrs. but i just cant see myself buying x1 over ps4. not when im almost 30 already.

100thMonkey said on June 13, 2013 at 4:43 p.m.

You gain way more meter blocking a projectile then throwing one.....erm.....ok!~?!?!

I mean it would make sense if it was more like MK9 or injustice where they gain a subtle amount more to demote turtling, but that amount looks stupid...I mean no meter for throwing but about 1/6 for blocking....c'mon son.

Oh well...never really like KI, overrated back then, still not sold. Xbox one is going to bomb harder than the Japanese at Pearl Harbour.

Fireball effects do look cool though I'll give them that

Focusflute said on June 13, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

Never been this excited for a fighter except maybe SF4. The game mechanics they are showing off make it look like it could be the best fighter ever IF they do it right. Time will tell but I'm def getting a X1 w some sticks.

soggytoast said on June 13, 2013 at 7:51 p.m.

A million trolls online saying that Xboxone will fail immediately means...

Xboxone will be the most successful gaming system ever.

emc said on June 13, 2013 at 8:15 p.m.

about the sticks... this is most likely not being played on an xbone. it's more likely played on a developer console that is meant for demoing the game allowing use of any USB device.

MontoniBeatdown said on June 13, 2013 at 8:26 p.m.

@48 ur right but the fact is its a USB connector, which should be universal no matter what. technology is becoming a pain in the arse.

Doktor42 said on June 14, 2013 at 9:13 a.m.

Looks interesting.

Not interesting enough to buy an Xbox One, but still interesting.