Tekken Revolution overview - How it works, costs for premium coins and much more

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 11, 2013 at 2:40 p.m. PDT

Tekken Revolution launched today, but unless you've had the chance to play it, you're probably wondering how it all works, as Namco hasn't provided a lot of details as of late. We spent some time with the game here and EventHubs and wanted to offer a rundown of what you can expect.

There's a lot of details in this post, so we've broken everything down into sections to make it a bit easier to find what you're looking for. From the coin system to how the current DLC setup works, we're trying to cover all bases here a new player would want to know.

Hit the jump to check it all out.

Overview - How it works

Tekken Revolution is built around a coins (credits) setup. Think of it like putting a quarter into an arcade machine to play, the concept is much the same. The game starts you off with a few credits that you can use to play arcade mode or online, doing so costing you one credit each.

You can unlock credits by winning online matches, beating arcade mode and as more time passes, more credits unlock automatically as well. You can purchase premium coins if you want to pony up some cash, and don't want to wait for more to become available.

The game is very similar to Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in how it plays, its modes and most everything else. It's basically a stripped down TTT2, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's a free title, and there's a good amount of fun and time that can be spent here without spending a dime of your own money, if you so choose.

You're required to be online at all times while playing Tekken Revolution, so if the servers are having trouble, or you're having problems with your internet connection — you cannot play.

The game's modes are as follows:
• Ranked Match (Online)
• Player Match (Online)
• Arcade Battle (Offline)
• Character Enhancement
• Options
• PlayStation Store

Coins, tickets and premium coins

• New coins appear after a certain amount of time — regardless if you're online or offline, so you can shut down your PS3 without worry and come back to a fresh amount of coins to use.

• Arcade Coins allow you to play arcade mode, you can have a max of 2 at one time, and a new coin comes up every 60 minutes.

• Battle Coins allow you to play the online ranked and player match modes. You can have a max of 5, and a new one comes up automatically every 30 minutes.

• Premium Tickets are awarded to you by accomplishing various feats, like beating arcade mode and such. You can use a premium ticket to play arcade or ranked mode if you're out of coins.

• You can hold a max of 999 Premium Tickets, and if you use one to play an online match, and you win that match, you'll earn another Premium Ticket as a prize. If you lose that online match, you'll gain more XP than you otherwise would have.

• Premium Coins work the same way as Premium Tickets, except you have to purchase these. Here's the pricing structure, all in USD.
- 4 for 99 cents.
- 10 for $1.99.
- 30 for $4.99.

Online play and more

• The net code is really good. It feels like the same net code that they used in TTT2, so matches are smooth and fun.

• When waiting for a Ranked Match the game puts you into a training mode automatically while you wait.

• A player dropped (disconnected) on me during our match, but I was still awarded with XP, although it still cost me my coin/ticket, just like if the match had been completed.

• Namco Bandai is also running events for Tekken Revolution, where they reward players with double the amount of XP, bonus tickets and quite a bit more. When you start the game, you should be notified of any major developments.

Gameplay, characters and leveling up

• In overall gameplay terms, the title is VERY similar to a 1v1 version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Most of the moves you know from the series are back, but this title puts a bit of a unique spin on them with Critical and Special Arts.

• Each fighter has four Critical Arts, which give you the chance to do increased damage on critical hits. Combatants also have one Special Art, which gives them a period of invincibility at the start of the move. You can spot Critical Arts and Special Arts by the particle and motion blur effects.

• Playing matches earns XP, which can be spent to level up 3 different attributes. Power (damage done), Endurance (stamina), and vigor (increase critical hit chance). Heading into the game's Character Enhancement section will let you spend these points.

• Arcade mode is super easy and even novice Tekken players should be able to work their way through it. I'm not sure if the difficulty progressively gets harder, though.

• Eight playable characters at the start are unlocked: Kazuya, Asuka, Paul, Law, Lars, Jack-6, King and Lili, although in arcade mode you can play against other fighters like Bryan, Leo, Steve, Heihachi and Ogre. These fighters are all likely playable and can be unlocked over time.

• Playing a few arcade mode matches and ranked matches unlocked a character for me, so it doesn't appear that unlocking characters costs anything at this time. As far as I can tell, only coins currently are tied to actual money, but that could very well chance as new systems/items are introduced.

If you have any questions about Tekken Revolution, from how it works or plays, let me know in the comments and I'll do my best to either follow up in this article, or respond directly.

Comments

exspes said on June 11, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

No EU release? Why do japanese fighting game developers hate europe?

RebornOdin said on June 11, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

You should know that there's no bound system in this game. Once you slam them into the ground, that's the end of the combo. At least, that's what I've seen so far.

Duggs26 said on June 11, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

I heard people could unlock those characters without spending any money, which is cool. Thanks for the explanation.

Duggs26 said on June 11, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

#1 It's out tomorrow, not even Japan has it yet. Google before assuming lol

Shajita said on June 11, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

I'm just glad my secondary main is available. I'm excited to try it out, see if this new business model actually works. Not that I'd want it to take over the current one, but small side games are welcome in my book, considering it gives new fans the ability to try it out for free and, hopefully, get invested in it.

HyperGadoken said on June 11, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

i'm liking this alot for my first Tekken experience. Only downside is that there's no training mode.

Meety said on June 11, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

You're right. There's bound though, but can't be comboed into one at all. It will automatically end, so practice in TTT2 or Tekken 6 to do combos without bounds.

Madmax77 said on June 11, 2013 at 2:54 p.m.

30 for $ ... that's expensive !
you can do 30 matches in a few hours... we still have TTT2 ;)

CoNr said on June 11, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

Not really a tekken fan... I did have tekken 1-3 a long time ago, but I will pick this up and if i enjoy it I will prob just buy TTT2... seems a decent way for me to try a game for free before I splash the cash on another fighter that I will prob drop after a week or two and go back to SF...

sic said on June 11, 2013 at 2:58 p.m.

Can i see somewhere the command list? Or just Arcade mode - Pause? Trainin mode is missing too...

phoenixkusanagi said on June 11, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

Interesting, though I'm not loving the "always online" part. Shades of Microsoft....

BlackMasamune said on June 11, 2013 at 3:11 p.m.

Can we hear from an actual Tekken player on the mechanics? I know those are hard to find on EH.

Wardog said on June 11, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

Its alright. The only thing I like about this game is, no bound. I think rage is still in there... It feels like the old tekkens without the bound in there which is good. Now this new feature which one of powerful attack becomes fast and flashy, is OK but it doesn't need to be in a tekken game... which I think they're testing it out for TKXSF. But at the end of the day, it's free and just play quick match cause it's free... cause when you run out of coins, you can't play rank no more till you get some more.

Kuvio said on June 11, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

Wait, no bound combos!? As an avid T5DR fan this pleases me.

whens_marvel said on June 11, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

This game is interesting, good for new players to try a Tekken game and mess around with. Theres also some good ideas, but sadly theres also a lot of bad ideas.

AzureRedemption said on June 11, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

Wardog said on June 11, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

@Blackmasamune.

I'm a Tekken Vet and the game mechanics are the same like in TTT2. It's just got this quick and flashy feature where one of your powerful attack becomes fast and an bright aura behind it. Pulse some of your attacks will have an aura to it.

Also some of the stages have a darker look to it.

massi4h said on June 11, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

Facebook Tekken?

Wardog said on June 11, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

@azure redemption.

So far I just unlock Alisa, nobody else.

whens_marvel said on June 11, 2013 at 3:30 p.m.

The game mechanics are pretty different from TTT2.

-Each character has 1 invincible move, and they all seem to be launch punishable. Characters also have moves that can randomly critical hit.
-No more bound
-Different colors to tell you how punishable a move is
-Execution is easier. For example Paul demo man is very easy now.
-Theres a 2D style walking animation so if you can't dash around it's not as sluggish.
-BDC seems to be nerfed

DarkRyu94 said on June 11, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.

No bound attacks

godfist314 said on June 11, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

I would say "That's rubbish" but perhaps there's an explanation as to why? I'll wait.

sprflyspdrguy said on June 11, 2013 at 3:48 p.m.

No training? Completely disappointing.

Ribbon said on June 11, 2013 at 3:48 p.m.

No training mode but eh it's free.

Hopped online only knowing a few kazuya chains from sfxt and got my butt handed to me. Did beat one guy by spamming ewgf though. Probably won't play this again but it is a neat idea.

Focusflute said on June 11, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

TTT2 all the way. This method of playing is awful.

Tensa said on June 11, 2013 at 3:50 p.m.

Dang which it had training mode ah well guess thats what TTT2 is for

Aigis said on June 11, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.

Wow. Cancelled my download after reading this. After hearing that you have to grind to be on an even playing field(stamina, damage attributes thing) I already knew this was the bad type of f2p. But I didn't think it would be iOS bad.

I hope this flops horribly. This type of f2p model is EXTREMELY competitive/tournament unfriendly.

Ice9 said on June 11, 2013 at 3:52 p.m.

I've unlocked Alisa. Online, I've just found players using Steve and Lars.

Ice9 said on June 11, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.

I'm impressed. I thought it was going to be half-assed, but It's like emulating an arcade with how they've arranged it.

When I played online, it was like I was pretty much forced into the kiddie pool and had to sit down and help show people the ropes.

It felt....rewarding somehow to help teach others how Tekken gameplay works.

And YES, I said like Emulating an arcade. It's neatly set so the longer you play, the better you get. The moves that they highlighted to be flashy was helping the newer players to identify and strategise around particularly flashy-looking animations, making them learn how to rely more on defense, positioning and reading opponent movements.

I''ve got like 20 friend requests over the past two hours from people who are just looking to learn how to play better.

Cinderkin said on June 11, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.

This is not how you do a free to play game. You beat Arcade mode 2 times in less than 10 minutes, which means you are locked out of Arcade mode for at least an hour unless you buy tokens.

I played online with a friend and after we had 5 matches which takes 10 minutes we had to stop playing unless we bought more tokens.

This is awful you get 20 min of free play a day give or take. I won't be coming back to play this. I'd much rather pay a full $60 and just enjoy the game with all it's modes.

Also my main isn't available which sucks too.

Good Idea executed poorly.

MentalFloss said on June 11, 2013 at 4 p.m.

Tried it out and I agree with pretty much everything Cinder said above.

Nice try but crap execution.

Phynx said on June 11, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

I think I'd go bankrupt in about 5 minutes with my win rate. I suppose I won't be trying this after all.

vagabon said on June 11, 2013 at 4:04 p.m.

It makes sense for an internet connection to be required. Everything in this game involves some sort of game 'currency.' They need a way to track how much currency you have and use, or else the game's F2P structure won't work.

That's why an internet connection is necessary to play.

Vigilante_8 said on June 11, 2013 at 4:07 p.m.

I'm kinda bummed for the lack of a training mode.

Ice9 said on June 11, 2013 at 4:09 p.m.

@ Cinderkin

Most people don't have their mains at the very moment, it's a sort-of balancing tactic that is probably in just for the sole reason of forcing better players to compromise their time to stand in as tutors for the people that can't play.

I Primarily use mokujin and don't have any mains, but I can see that the fact that it's "free" is causing newer, interested players to flock to it and be in an environment where the new guys outnumber the experts nearly 20-to-1.

I'm sure the idea is less to just look for a high-level competitive 'addiction fix' and just to be the "guys that can show the little people how it's done"

Slidikins said on June 11, 2013 at 4:09 p.m.

@Cinderkin

I don't see as what you described as a bad business model at all. Pay $60 upfront to have a full game or have a very functional demo for absolutely free. A demo that gains features as you play, no less. If you want to play more but don't want to spend $60 doing so, you pony up a bit of cash. Complaining about how little you get to play a free game sounds incredibly entitled as I can't name any other Free-to-Play console fighters that let you play online off the top of my head.

This sounds like an excellent way to let newcomers wet their Tekken feet, giving them a chance to really try things out before committing the $60 for TTT2.

Ice9 said on June 11, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.

@Slidikins

Yes. That much is very, VERY true.
While TTT2 is still clearly the superior product, that's very much only because This game is probably designed to get people interested enough to buy and play TTT2. It's a very, creative 'trial version' that feels like an arcade experience.

BUYACUSHUN said on June 11, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

damn and here i thought it looked promising. maybe that korean KoF ripoff has a better F2P model. It can be done right just don't give players an edge over one anohter by using real money.

I think SC4 mode had some kinda no-customization rule. Now implement that into the whole ground work for the design and balance and you got yourself a decent F2P fighter. Or at least the start of one.

GOHANsixteenKEN said on June 11, 2013 at 4:19 p.m.

WHENS MAHVEL

Erichful said on June 11, 2013 at 4:23 p.m.

Suddenly realize how much I rely on the BOUND in TTT2.

ArcadeRobot said on June 11, 2013 at 4:28 p.m.

Is there customization on TK REV?

al2k said on June 11, 2013 at 4:29 p.m.

which it had customization.

Existent said on June 11, 2013 at 4:34 p.m.

Aside from the price, everything about this seems terrible.

BumblebeeCody said on June 11, 2013 at 4:35 p.m.

Lars, yes.

Baby_Astaroth said on June 11, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

I really need to replace my PS3. I'm missing out on so much free.

Yesterday Amazon/Amazon Games was giving away 1 month of PS+ just for a Like on facebook.

cnorw00d said on June 11, 2013 at 5 p.m.

THIS is not TTT2 AT ALL

Tensa said on June 11, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

man I wanted to unlock Alisa :(

Galletano said on June 11, 2013 at 5:08 p.m.

It's a good game training mode is in ttt2

Psycho said on June 11, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

I wasn't able to play anymore it was asking to purchase coins for like $50 or something, in player mode all I did was espectate. Get Tekken Tag 2. Don't waste your time.

daisetsu said on June 11, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

no bound!??! YES!! and i use 6 of the 8 that is free? manoman why must i be cursed with just a 360

Galletano said on June 11, 2013 at 5:20 p.m.

I like the fact that is boundless.

ain said on June 11, 2013 at 5:29 p.m.

Can you please make it so that if I have selected to avoid seeing articles about Tekken I actually don't see them?

Tensa said on June 11, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

I agree this isn't really like 1v1 ttt2 its abit different

drryl215 said on June 11, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

Its like tekken 5 I like it 3/5 if I would rate it (no anna yet~.~)

mald said on June 11, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

@Slidikins #36

Maybe in the console world this game could be called a F2P, but in reality this game is just there to milk players. I spent all of my free coins (all types) in less than 45 mins, and I even won 1/2 of all the matches I played(online).I can't call this game a demo, as you could easily spend more than $60 on it without realizing it over time. IMO the idea was not bad, but the execution is horrible. IMO a f2p fighting game was needed, as it keeps the game fresh and with newcomers. There is nothing worse than going against people that have been playing for almost longer than you have been alive.(I am exaggerating, but you get my point)

J said on June 11, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.

Wait, NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER?

...Really? A fighting game without a local VS mode? ...What?

JdotSweapA said on June 11, 2013 at 6:39 p.m.

So not only is there no local multiplayer, or training mode. But the only way you can play is based around an always online coin system which limits the amount of time you can actually keep playing for free. It's a such a scummy way to structure a fighting game. "F2P but only when we give you an extra ticket or 2, plus you better pray our servers don't go down. Play on our terms or f*** off," They clearly care way more about sucking up as much money as they can, than getting any kind of beneficial feedback to build upon. They need to sort this crap out fast, it's pathetic

cinnamonpirate said on June 11, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.

They are trying to get you to buy more game time, why would they let you play locally?

Dblock209 said on June 11, 2013 at 6:51 p.m.

I think Namco is trying to show Microsoft that always online connections are not a good idea.

I keep getting network errors so I can't even play the game. At least it's free.

AzureRedemption said on June 11, 2013 at 6:56 p.m.

JdotSweapA said on June 11, 2013 at 7:12 p.m.

@58 Because nobody should have to pay for more game time on a product that markets itself under the title of F2P. It should always be a players own choice as to whether or not they want to play online. The idea of F2P is to make the customer WANT to pay extra if they enjoyed the game enough to want to enrich their own experience with it. Not force players into a corner with no option other than to wait a while or cough up some money.

#30 hit the nail right on the head, "Good Idea executed poorly"

Deckard_Cain said on June 11, 2013 at 7:13 p.m.

Game is so bad, so bad.

JustSTFU said on June 11, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

The F2P stuff aside, I love the coin idea and wish this was an add mode to TTT2 or something so all characters are available from the get go.

I might get slammed for this, but this is like that old school arcade feeling. There's no training mode you can spend a coin and train by playing CPU, ok not gonna defend this much but at leas the move list is there and you can pause as much as you want.

What I like is that during the match you have the feeling of you are gonna lose your coin if you lose the match, so you gotta keep on winning. If this is not F2P and is implemented like in rank mode or something, I think it would be fun. Like a new "Online Virtual Arcade" mode or something.

I know I know it is backwards and limiting if done on Rank mode, but think about this, if you want endless you can play in player and set like a "match with different player every time", which would be the Rank Mode now.

But when you have to spend coin to get Ranked, it'd probably eliminates some boosters unless they want to pay $ to boost. For the rest of the people, you get like a few matches a day on Ranked only, so you gotta play extra hard, but winner stays in and doesn't have to spend any more coins until he gets defeated.

This would probably piss a lot of people off if it is forced on every Rank Mode, but I really just got that nostalgia back from the arcade days, and actually think it'll actually be fun if a coin system is implemented for future fighters.

The important part is "you can still play online player vs", you just don't get bragging rights for boosting in Rank for free now.

The companies gets some little extra dough, everybody's happy, no?

Icege said on June 11, 2013 at 7:35 p.m.

fgclolz said on June 11, 2013 at 8 p.m.

LOL at the folks saying no bound. There's no bound YET when you start playing. As you progress and get enhancements you get your bound properties back. At any rate, I like the fact that they added a true walk for the characters akin to those found on VF (the old walk animation was kinda retarded) while toning the KBD a bit. It's a bit too slow once you get used to playing T6 or Tag 2, but I bet as you keep playing this game your character (and opponents) will start speeding up to the point where you can play TTT2 and/or T6 and also perform those long juggle combos. See, Combot training didn't work that well, they're using this now to get peeps to buy TTT2.

tekkablade12 said on June 11, 2013 at 8:18 p.m.

I was so hyped up about this game! I checked the preset controller and loved it! BUT. WHen i couldnt do my bound combos i was like... ew.

tekkablade12 said on June 11, 2013 at 8:21 p.m.

....wait what? what level do u get bound properties? can you get it playing arcade? or just online?

fgclolz said on June 11, 2013 at 8:27 p.m.

I'm at level 3 right now and am out of credits lol! But I got Kazuya's bound properties for one of his axe kicks. I also get bound now when the floor breaks.

Meety said on June 11, 2013 at 8:33 p.m.

If anyone knows how to unlock specific characters, I would love to hear it.

JesseRobles said on June 11, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

I think this game is more like a test, people. I like the gameplay and would love the Tekken franchise to take that direction with it.
Feels like Tekken 3 but with special attacks. In my opinion, this could work perfectly for TxSF.

I'm using Lili at the moment. I've been playing for an hour without spending a dime because I get awarded tickets the whole time. lol

Da_linkwent said on June 11, 2013 at 8:45 p.m.

it's fun for a f2p game, it's not going to replace ttt2 but it should help introduce the series to people that never got into it or haven't been playing the newer ones. It's not a bad f2p model for a fighting game either, like people said before it has an arcade feel to it, if you want to keep playing then you got to keep winning and earning tickets online. Also I think you unlock characters by leveling up, if you enjoy this game and don't have ttt2 then you should do yourself a favor and get it.

fgclolz said on June 11, 2013 at 8:51 p.m.

btw for those who don't know you can turn into Devil in this game too. :D

bladefight0 said on June 11, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

As a bad to average Tekken player, I liked it.

I liked how we have our own shoryuken (special art) now. Baiting special art mashing out of low hp players, anyone? And for a little while, no more bound! (Comments tell me we're bound-less only for the early levels? I didn't get bound yet). As one of the few players who doesn't like learning combos, the lack of bound was nice.

I'm mixed on the coin system. The arcade style investment in the matches is pretty neat. The questionable parts are already all over the comments section.

Also, I notice this black outline, thing, on my character. I either never noticed in TTT2, or it's part of that TK X SF beta testing?

@72 I lol'd when I changed to Devil mid-match. I wonder if they'll patch it out or not.

fgclolz said on June 11, 2013 at 8:59 p.m.

#73, when I played T6 I never knew how to do bound moves too but I learned because I tried out small combos first then moved on to new ones. You can do it man! :D

I don't think they'll patch that tho, I think it's a feature of the game.

Fireriku546 said on June 11, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.

I just like how there's finally an answer to all the players who pick up this game expecting to mash and win. The invincible moves are awesome too!

MrWow12 said on June 11, 2013 at 9:34 p.m.

I unlocked Steve somehow. Anyone know how to unlock specific characters?

drunkendan said on June 11, 2013 at 10:01 p.m.

the models look modified on some of the characters. Noting Lili and Asuka have bigger eyes and restructured faces

TrueGamingGuru said on June 11, 2013 at 10:22 p.m.

This Free to Play idea isn't so bad, parts of the Tekken Revolution features like the coins. Almost remind me the good era of videogames, I'm talking about Arcades. Heck you would end up paying for like $10 or $20 to get more tokens to play Arcade Systems for games. It feels like part of Tekken Revolution is the Arcade experience reborn, heck the Free to Play would really serve in place for Arcades. It may not be the best, but hey with improvements I would so support fighters to become part of the Free to Play and with some experiences that came from Arcades like the coin system. The fighter genre would get the deserved improvement from previous releases, since the console marketing is hurting the fighter genre.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 11, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

@76 You mostly play through Arcade Mode, there will be a message saying you unlocked a new character. That's what I know so far.

TheCheeze09 said on June 11, 2013 at 10:26 p.m.

No Practice mode? Bleh... Who cares. Tekken tag 2 is more fun anyways. Funny that they brought back that intense slow motion replay after you KO with all of the sound effects intact which was missing in tag 2 for some reason.

DeusRanmyaku said on June 11, 2013 at 10:36 p.m.

I'm liking it alot, feels like old school Tekken without bounds for me. As far as I know you can bound, but not during combos. Also about unlocking characters, it seems to be random. I tried purchasing characters on that present icon but didn't do anything. It seems after obtain a certain amount gift points you unlock characters. Want to say every 1000 but haven't played much. I unlocked Steve and Bryan so far.

Willus said on June 11, 2013 at 10:49 p.m.

Bound is still in the game when you do certain things. I know certain character's moves will give bound when you do it in your ground game but not mid combo so you can't do a huge number of hits, get them to the wall and THEN bound. I know they work in the following instances:

- Low Parry
- Law's f,f+4,3
- Lars' f,b+2,1
- Kazuya's f,f+3

Didn't find any other instances but I'm sure there are some.

Syirine said on June 11, 2013 at 10:55 p.m.

online boosters are going to be level 100 before next week....

Solless said on June 12, 2013 at 12:40 a.m.

I like it. I glanced at TTT2 but I seem to like a good old fashioned one on one Tekken. If this keeps my interest I might pick up the tag game.

Lockm said on June 12, 2013 at 1:24 a.m.

LOL noway i'm shelving out money to play more, if i lose alot i don't gain coins an then i'ts over, you need to wait or pay. On top of that no Training mode...yeah not spending money.

BigFleccs said on June 12, 2013 at 1:38 a.m.

I haven't played it yet but my son loves it. It looks good to me. I would rather pay a few bucks for unlimited and the no vs is crazy. Now I have to get a real teken game for us to play. Don't know which one. I don't know s about teken. What is better 6 or tag?.

TheCheeze09 said on June 12, 2013 at 2:10 a.m.

Hahahaha....You have to be always online to play this game. I tried to play offline and it wouldn't let me. I hope this is not a sign of things to come from Namco. I found the game to be boring and lame. Uninstalled it after playing through arcade mode twice. Not worth my time.

MetallicA said on June 12, 2013 at 4:37 a.m.

This F2P stuff is stupid for a fighting game, there should be 2 options:

1- F2P with whatever retarded system they can think of
2- Just purchase the entire game at once and be done with it like normal disc or PSN game.

They shouldn't force this crap.

Slidikins said on June 12, 2013 at 6:57 a.m.

As said earlier, those two options already exist:
1- Tekken Revolution
2- Tekken Tag Tournament 2

No one's shoving this game on you; it's not your only Tekken option. As #78 said, it feels like a throwback to old arcades. You put up your free quarter and fight to keep it. Lost the quarter? Gotta buy more. If you don't like the arcade experience then buy the home version (TTT2) and train up, just like people did before.

As the post says, the game isn't much different from TTT2 aside from the new types of attacks, so it's not as if you're getting an inferior game by buying TTT2.

xanderglz said on June 12, 2013 at 7:22 a.m.

Bank said on June 12, 2013 at 7:57 a.m.

Ok haven't tried this yet, but guys if you're gonna complain try not to sound like an entitled prick. If they were worried about sucking money out of you, they would've charged you to play. They're not idiots, it's obvious their intention is to draw in more on-the-fence or otherwise casual players.

handsofgod said on June 12, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

I think it's all about enhanced demos... With online play and local vs and then the option of a dlc of the whole game for a digital price, I think the benefits are to introduce a new game to players for free and it also helps keep the online alive and if the player likes it they can op to buy the full game of just selected characters sort of like what sfxt did with costumes.

This would help introduce new fighting games for someone like myself who only really plays capcom fighters.

Not sure about THIS f2p structure

handsofgod said on June 12, 2013 at 8:39 a.m.

What about...

A f2p game with advertisement bs on the side (to pay for running it)
They give you 2 free characters
local vs
Online vs
Story mode
Training mode

You get given 10 free credits
Every game cost 1 credit unless you win then you get to keep your credit
You can buy more credits or get free credits by playing arcade mode etc
You can buy characters single or packs or buy the whole game
Customisation
Dlc costumes stages music etc

None of this buy moves or power ups or anything to put you at a advantage (baring chars) but if chars are balanced then it should be k

I think this sort of structure could work with someone like myself, what do you guys think?

Siryoudroppedyourcombo said on June 12, 2013 at 9:11 a.m.

Nice to see Fighting Games exploring the scummiest Free2Play nickel and dime models.

Pretty embarrassing for the Tekken franchise.

URAlsr said on June 12, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

mald said on June 12, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

Man, i played again today, and I found that you have to win 5 games to get 1 ticket, and once you run out of free coins, each fight costs one ticket. Meaning that if you play 5 games using tickets alone you spent 5 and get 1 in return.(Assuming that you won all matches). This is pure bs. I really want to get into Tekken, and I like the idea that there are new players around my skill level playing, but this F2P model is just completely bs.

Servantes said on June 12, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

@14 Bounds is still there, just toned down.

After playing Tekken Card Tournament, I figured this was the route they'd go with the FTP model. Games ok,so far, but I'll stick with TTT2.

tavarez said on June 12, 2013 at 4:04 p.m.

MichaelaVogt11 said on June 12, 2013 at 4:22 p.m.

Violet. I agree that Susan`s report is really great, yesterday I got themselves a volvo since getting a check for $7285 this-last/4 weeks and just a little over ten/k this past-month. this is certainly the easiest-work Ive ever done. I started this seven months/ago and straight away started to make minimum $85, per-hour. I use this great link, BOW6.COM

bunny said on June 12, 2013 at 4:50 p.m.

hey listen if your all having a hard time finding training mode first change your systems region to something odd where you wouldn't find people playing at the time you want to play and set your matches to something most people wont want to play like 1 round 30 second matches now just sit in the training mode provided...work smarter not harder #fgc

Load more comments