Updated: Tekken Revolution trailer and details, free-to-play game revealed exclusively for PlayStation 3

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 8, 2013 at 10 p.m. PDT
Updated: An official 2+ minute trailer has been added into this story, which shows more gameplay footage, and offers a glimpse at some kind of new leveling up system, which lets you spend skill points to increase your character's attributes. Also, details about how the game works have been noted below.

A new, free-to-play Tekken game entitled "Tekken Revolution" was announced today, and it will be exclusive to PlayStation 3 consoles. The release date is set for June 11, 2013, here's the official reveal trailer.

Hit the jump for some images.

Click images for larger versions

Tip by zUkUu.

Comments

NoizyChild said on June 8, 2013 at 10:57 a.m.

So basically, more of the same Tekken people have been playing since T6.

GodPride said on June 8, 2013 at 10:57 a.m.

I wonder how many fighting games will adapt to this F2P model in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will play out.

nealis95 said on June 8, 2013 at 10:58 a.m.

Free to play. Sounds interesting. First dead or alive and now Tekken. This is probably gonna really awesome. Can't wait for E3!!

RonK said on June 8, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

I think the fact that it is meant to launch THIS TUESDAY is worthy of mention in the article title, not just a passing sentence.

Echo01 said on June 8, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

Would love to get a Soul Calibur V 'Plus' announcement from Bamco, or straight up SCVI. Well, I can dream.

zUkUu said on June 8, 2013 at 11:03 a.m.

I'm curious to the business model they'll use. FGs are a very peculiar case when it comes to F2P due to the nature of the character dedication. Unless you find a fighter that you like, you probably won't stick to the game. Limiting the roster seems like a bad idea to me (outside of a few special cases). I'm excited to see how they will implement it.

Also, this might be the "new fighting game by namco", that was mentioned in a e-mail to the press:

"In an email sent to the press, Namco Bandai has announced that they will be announcing several new games at E3 this year. These games include two new unannounced PAC-MAN titles, an unannounced racing game, and an unannounced fighting game."

NoizyChild said on June 8, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the story behind the whole F2P thing?

WTAkbar said on June 8, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

The new animations look tight! I can't wait to give this game a shot. I wish it wasn't exclusive to ps3 though.

RedRapperSux said on June 8, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

If there is any sort of buy2win factor, then forget about it. I'm not sure how they will handle f2p but Tekken has a fairly huge roster and they might be able to do something along the lines of the League of Legends f2p model which is extremely successful. I don't want to see this game fail.

AURON570 said on June 8, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.

well I'm just glad I bought Tekken Tag 2 last week instead of delaying. Also hopefully this means there will be more newbies like me online so I don't feel like a total idiot when I finally decide to play online. Which might be a while actually..

Shadowninja said on June 8, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

hope that this brings more intrest in the fgc :)

BoscaBat said on June 8, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

I guess this is only gonna be a good thing. I think the 4 characters so far are definitely a good variety for newcomers.

Ett said on June 8, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

I wonder if they will dumb it down.

Crashman said on June 8, 2013 at 11:27 a.m.

We don't even know yet if it's a Fighting Game, role play game, etc...?

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

Liberator said on June 8, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

this seem to be the reason why Harada been pissed off and went missing for weeks!...

TrueGamingGuru said on June 8, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Tekken Revolution sounds interesting. Another free to play feature like with DOA5 Ultimate. I think this free to play concept can be something that fighter games are required to have before they release the final version, with console marketing taking away Arcades from the West which is why fighter games can't survive without Arcades. So Tekken Revolution is something that I'm looking forward to.

Doopliss said on June 8, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.

If Paul is included for free, I might as well play this. However, I refuse to spend money on this model.

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

Loryuo said on June 8, 2013 at 11:40 a.m.

I guess not everyone wants to buy a 30 dollar fighting game =/

TheTHCGamer said on June 8, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

@1 As usual hating on 3D fighting games and most fighting games that aren't made by CAPCOM. Do you really have to bring your negative comments to every Tekken and virtua fighter topic? State your opinion and then move on we don't need to see your same opinions over and over and over and over in every topic.

What are you a parrot? Anyway I hope this is a real solid tekken title not some generic side game made to make money until tekken 7 is released. If it is a solid game im definitely going to be buying it.

Doopliss said on June 8, 2013 at 11:42 a.m.

@19: Then I wouldn't need to spend money anyways since I'd already have all the characters :P As a combo video maker, I need access to all characters to make content, and I don't want to have to spend way more money than the average player for that to happen. SFxT already pushed my patience in this regard.

Tensa said on June 8, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

I think I will play this I think I would just Buy Alisa/Asuka/Juila

old_school_rival said on June 8, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

This might actually get me to play Tekken. Depending on the model they use, I usualluy only use 1 or 2 characters from a roster anyway.

TheLaw said on June 8, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

This is a f2p beat em up

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

BumblebeeCody said on June 8, 2013 at 12:26 p.m.

Free 2 play is one of the best lies told for gullible people.

Doomed2laugh said on June 8, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

kazuya

cadnexus said on June 8, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

And what's so special about this game???? I got TTT2 with more characters, why would I care about this crap. Nothing special about this announcement at all.

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

badjab326 said on June 8, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

If it's actually a 1v1 fighter, that's really dumb since TTT2 is out and far superior to whatever they could make.

KataM said on June 8, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

As long as they don't release it with the most popular 4 characters (as DOA5U did) I'm Ok with this.

Imagine that with SF, the give Ryu for free, and no one need to buy the game. Since almost everyone only plays as him in every ittineration.

These games can make a good amount of money just from costumes and stuff like that. They just need to ajust the prices and release stuff in a weekly basis, just as any F2P game does on PC.

bojack13 said on June 8, 2013 at 1:19 p.m.

...

I hope this wasn't their "big fighting game announcement"...

Tensa said on June 8, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

I think if capcom did it they would release Ryu for free also I think this would kinda be cool to do for AE once the new update comes out.

FlashAndBlood said on June 8, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

This doesn't make any sense....why don't you just buy TTT2 instead and play 1v1?

Tekken Revolution for Evo 2k14

xShonuffx said on June 8, 2013 at 1:32 p.m.

I don't understand, what's the catch?

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 1:36 p.m.

gohan16ken said on June 8, 2013 at 1:37 p.m.

We want Tekken X Street Fighter not this.

kayuza said on June 8, 2013 at 1:41 p.m.

Consider this - if this title is in any way superior (i.e. newer moves & properties) and/or completely incompatible with TTT2 console version, then they just isolated their market share, and audience focus greatly. It'll be interesting to see the engine differences.

DeePhenom said on June 8, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

@37 I guess its to bring in newcomers

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 1:53 p.m.

kayuza said on June 8, 2013 at 1:54 p.m.

@9 Don't want to pay $0.25 for 1-button EWGF for 1 round? haha. If it's anything like the card game, and my hunch it is, then this is not going to work out well for the low-end buyer at all.

Drameron said on June 8, 2013 at 1:58 p.m.

Wath F2P Tekken and no Pc? i don't know why really wants to shut the computers out this much could have realised it.

tavarez said on June 8, 2013 at 2:15 p.m.

Hiya_tiger said on June 8, 2013 at 2:24 p.m.

Pirates would probably rip the game into pieces and and use whatever character they want.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 8, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

@39 & 42 about Tekken X Street Fighter: The only reasons so far of why were not seeing TXSF is because it got moved to next gen consoles, heck I would want to see more TXSF myself. But were going to have to wait until the PS4 & Xbox One release date, that is the only chance were going to get if we ever want to see TXSF. So don't expect a lot of announcements going on for TXSF since were seeing more games besides TTT2. (which isn't following the way that Harada said "first was SFXT, second was TTT2, and last was TXSF.")

@16 & 42 about Harada being missing: I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet because there is no official word from either Harada nor Namco Bandai higher ups. At least these comments are plausible unlike the "others"

InitialR said on June 8, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

MentalFloss said on June 8, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

Big argument at Namco, Harad walks out for a week+.., e3 announcement of a f2p model Tekken.

Seems legit to me. Specially how his personal attitude towards free dlc and such are.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 8, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

@48 I know Harada wasn't part of the development team for SFXT. I only typed down based off what he said. (even if isn't the full details) Besides SFXT was part of Capcom & TXSF is part of Namco. I didn't get confused with which game is Harada responsible for.

bhaishoib2 said on June 8, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

BlazinKoolBreez said on June 8, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

YEEESSS, just in time, ps3 wont read disc n I miss Tekken

wonder if there will b many purchasable customize items
dem visual effects look nice af too

Lemres said on June 8, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

Yeah... I don't get the whole excitement for this. It's basically TTT2. Why not just play that instead. If you buy characters to play with, you might as well just play TTT2. It has your characters and then some. Again, I see no hype for this.

Loryuo said on June 8, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

This might be the reason why, but I doubt it at the same time, seeing as it's free, so any chars would be optional content. IF this isn't linked to TTT2 in anyway, I don't see the problem really.

Raiden8 said on June 8, 2013 at 4 p.m.

I could agree with the freeium model for DOA, but Im not sure what to think here. Will this be a free version of TTT2, or will it be TTT2 without tag mechanics? Honestly, TTT2 is pretty affordable, and Im certain they wouldnt add brand new characters in an unnumbered Tekken, so the choice for making this seems out of place.

kileysmith59 said on June 8, 2013 at 4:16 p.m.

NoizyChild said on June 8, 2013 at 4:20 p.m.

I play Tekken, idiot.

Quit trying to ride my sack every single time I post something.

Go finish trying to convince people that VF is popular. Go make a protein shake. Go make a ham & cheese sammich. Just get out of my damn face.

Siryoudroppedyourcombo said on June 8, 2013 at 4:32 p.m.

Namco makes F2P Tekken to try and gain exposure and bring in new players. Doesn't release it on PC, where there is a completely untapped 3D-Fighter market with zero competition.

Watching the Japanese try to keep up with global progress in the business is embarrassing. They're perpetually a decade behind the times.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 8, 2013 at 4:38 p.m.

Yeah...DoA5U is looking like they are doing the F2P model right with the new content...but not this when you compare the two. Hopefully this game is not too similar to TTT2, TTT2 was already similar to T6 as it was.

daisetsu said on June 8, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

so... Tekken Revolution.. even flashier plus slow motion during combos!! way to find more ways to make people hate Tekken even more! i wish this (along with DOA5F2P) was on PS4 instead. so at least when i buy a PS4, there will be something i could play at launch.

IareBeStayDrunk said on June 8, 2013 at 5:24 p.m.

Take 5 minutes, play the game, dont like it... go back to tag2. there is no downside to this at all.

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 5:29 p.m.

JustSTFU said on June 8, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

Who cares even if it sucks, it's free and it comes out next week
I'll try and see what new stuff or balance they add to the game and then how much the characters I want to play are

I love this idea of F2P for fighting games in the future, usually I only use one or two characters anyway, I'll try out the game for free, if I like the system I totally won't mind spending like $5-6 for a character, it's like a quick afternoon in the arcade learning a character anyway

If I like it I'll end up only spending $15 at most probably for each fighting game, if I end up hating it the most I'll spend is the initial character, and the time I spend playing to realize I don't like the game will already be plenty enough to get my money's worth

Definitely way better then spending $60 on the get go and find out a week later that you hate it. So what's there to complain?

FlashAndBlood said on June 8, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

Yeah...i hear you guys. "Great idea! F2P for fighters! yeah!!!"

I'll have to wait and see how this pans out. It just seems so odd, PS3 exclusive. Hopefully it's not a fighter, i'd be happy if its a console version of Tekken Card Tournament with current gen graphics. That makes more sense to me.

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

MercWitDaMouth said on June 8, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

I'm confused as to why people are jumping to conclusions about this game, and it's approach to the Free to Play Model. I realize people have the right to an opinion but assuming all facts based on what other games have done, is simply just not intelligent. This is going to be a new game, and a new approach to how fighting games are released on consoles.

People should support this game as much as possible in hopes that Namco takes this model and runs with it making all their future fighting games free to play. I don't mind paying for costume items, or grinding to release my main character. Finally a reason to play a game other than playing ranked match..

Baby_Astaroth said on June 8, 2013 at 6:49 p.m.

So is this just TTT2 in a 1v1 setting? o.O

I can do that right now with friends.

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 7:03 p.m.

TheTHCGamer said on June 8, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

@57 Quit trolling games you don't like and quite acting like you play tekken because there have been changes to TEKKEN 6 that weren't in other tekken games. Believe me bro the only ones that are going to ride your ugly ass sack are the ones you have to pay. Make your point and move on theres no need to post the same negative comments in every topic that features a game you don't care for.

Polly want a cracker?

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 7:38 p.m.

TheTHCGamer said on June 8, 2013 at 8:32 p.m.

@70 Its okay to make your point but when you keep repeating it over and over your just trolling. For example http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/ma...

Did you really need to post in that topic 4 times about his opinion about tekken becoming stagnant? Seriously what changes did we expect from T6 to TTT2? Its a damn tekken game if you change the gameplay to much your going to alienate your fanbase. Also TTT2 is a tag game compared to a one on one fighting game that alone is a big difference.

Not only that but his argument would be more valid if it was a true sequel like tekken 7 but he'd still be saying the same thing. Why? Because hes trolling and he did the same thing with all the virtua fighter 5 final showdown topics. Dude just doesn't like that im calling him out on his s***. If I don't like a game I make my point and move on I don't go into almost everyone of that games topics to troll my point across.

He mentioned tekken 6 this time but read an excerpt of one of his post in the link I provided.

Tekken has been around since 1994, and the formula hasn't changed much. Nobody wants to play a game with a high entry barrier. It turns people off from playing. Be glad the Tekken series has lasted even that long. Yet you people are bitching because it doesn't get as high a turnout as UMVC3, SSF4, or SFxT? Tough breaks. Maybe you should stop crying and moaning and go out and support your scene. It's not like Tekken's never at tourneys.

Yea its not just tekken 6 or TTT2 hes slammin its tekken in general.

TheTHCGamer said on June 8, 2013 at 8:36 p.m.

I love fighting games but im not going to be turning into CAPCOM fighting game troll anytime soon.

Baby_Astaroth said on June 8, 2013 at 8:55 p.m.

No more speculation. http://youtu.be/VBTo6sWNMWY

Crafted by NAMCO BANDAI Games' internal TEKKEN development team, TEKKEN REVOLUTION provides fighting game fans and newcomers alike the hard-hitting gameplay of the famed franchise. Choose from an initial cast of eight iconic TEKKEN characters to train and battle against AI opponents in Arcade Mode or take on fearsome human rivals spanning the globe through online Ranked and Player Matches. The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks and advanced players to employ new strategies with their favorite fighters. For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor, to create a combatant tuned to individual play styles. Develop a defensive tank character with high HP to withstand knockout blows while offense focused players can create a damage-inflicting character with low health but high critical hit rates to devastate opponents with a flurry of attacks.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 8, 2013 at 9:59 p.m.

@73 Pretty interesting stuff, can't wait to give it a shot.

kileysmith63 said on June 8, 2013 at 10:18 p.m.

iMTopTier said on June 8, 2013 at 10:23 p.m.

the first Tekken game im gonna play after T3
and only because it's free :O

AzureRedemption said on June 8, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

illness690 said on June 8, 2013 at 10:28 p.m.

jelaninoel said on June 8, 2013 at 10:28 p.m.

sony going in.

Utsusemi said on June 8, 2013 at 10:33 p.m.

@1 Defiantly not the same as T6, were you even paying attention tho? Those counters mid strings looked invincible, there obviously adding new mechanics.

Baby_Astaroth said on June 8, 2013 at 10:37 p.m.
zUkUu said on June 8, 2013 at 10:38 p.m.

Uh... RPG elements? :X While I always love those, they just don't fit into a fighting game.

RebornNYC4 said on June 8, 2013 at 10:41 p.m.

kayuza said on June 8, 2013 at 11:12 p.m.

Get used to the stamina system now, it will probably carry over into TxSF. It makes sense - this is Bamco's public test bed to work through Capcom's use of different character hit points in SF. Clever evolution, Bamco.

Grimmjow_J said on June 8, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

@RebornNYC4, I agree, but its a gret marketing strategy on their behalf. Just think how many people are going to download it because its free. Look what DC universe did. After releasing it free to the market their revenue increase dramatically.

Imagine 500,000 individual purchasing a single item for a value of $1.99 just to individual customize there character. That's not even globally. And think if those individual play with two character. People say that you don't have to do anything you don't want to, but for those of us who were long Tekken fan before most of these money spending trolls. Remember having to beat the game with almost ever character to unlock a new one. Plus you learned how to play with ever character along the way. Instead of spending money to unlock these things. But we enjoyed it because Tekken always provided their consumer with a enjoyable dialogue and end.

However, I must admit that the "Pros" to this is you can say money on not having to purchase the entire game. But if your like me, fighting games are suppose to be strategic. Meaning you must have an entire cast in order to know which character pair up best against another, or which one tailors best to your style.(Con). People hopefully will not jump on the tier bandwagon. Making the game repetitively boring like SfxT.

I'm pretty positive that with the new consoles being online stream happy this will be one of the two options available to the marked. The trail version were your entitle to pay for play, or the full price retail version consisting with all the contents. All in all, if this is the new wave of the FGC well, I can say that the old dog can not learn new tricks and will be force to retire to using only the limited cast of just convert to only playing co-op multi player adventures.

Tensa said on June 8, 2013 at 11:27 p.m.

@84 yeah I think this might be a sorta TxSF beta

Superboy said on June 8, 2013 at 11:32 p.m.

Zanpakto said on June 8, 2013 at 11:40 p.m.

PC Please :(

TheTHCGamer said on June 8, 2013 at 11:55 p.m.

@78 You came in this topic to call me out but I'm the stalker lol. Once again we got someone got called out I. There s*** and couldn't handle it. That's like me saying you call anyone butthurt who you don't agree with and on top of that you've implied that you weren't coming back to this site. Me and one of the mods even called you out on it. Now what was the point of you commenting in this topic? Anyway I'm not going to lie I'm a little worried about the leveling up aspect of this game because it seems like it could make things unbalanced.

I just hope you don't have to pay to level up.

TheTHCGamer said on June 9, 2013 at 12:02 a.m.

I might download it for free just to check it out but I don't know it gives me the whole SFxT gimmicky gems vibe to me. Never know though it just might end up being solid.

illness690 said on June 9, 2013 at 12:06 a.m.

Raakill said on June 9, 2013 at 12:06 a.m.

Still no PC, SMH Bamco.

TheTHCGamer said on June 9, 2013 at 12:19 a.m.

@91 Hey kid did you not notice that you were the one who called me out in this topic and wasn't that the very reason you even posted in here? By the way I thought you were done with this site? Don't be butthurt.

skyrimer said on June 9, 2013 at 12:35 a.m.

Oh sh*t, Tekken with P2W, ultras and gems, Harada you have broken so many hearts today XP

Gotomaster said on June 9, 2013 at 12:57 a.m.

There are so many unconstructive criticism towards this FREE TO PLAY GAME. If I recall, people were spouting that Tekken hasn't changed and is getting stagnant. Here they are, trying some new things, and people are quick to say it sucks. Why don't you all wait 2 more days for it be released and judge it accordingly. -_-

J said on June 9, 2013 at 1:44 a.m.

Hope this F2P crap stops soon. Imagine if it was the only choice you'd have (imagine TTT2/T6 weren't released, and this was the way they'd continue the franchise). The fans who love the series and the characters and want the full experience, have to pay astronomical amounts to get every character in the game. Costume items aren't super important to the 'full experience' to me, but if you'd want those too that's another giant sum.

If there end up being items you can buy to instantly boost your stats (those strength, endurance and vigor things), I'd like to see which idiots would still support this.

NarutoUzumaki said on June 9, 2013 at 1:58 a.m.

its free and i wnat heihachi and devil jin yes please

FlashAndBlood said on June 9, 2013 at 2:02 a.m.

RIP Tekken

cikame said on June 9, 2013 at 2:14 a.m.

This isn't removing TTT2 you guys and this is definately no replacement, instead you've got this other free game to mess around with if you want, personally i play on the 360 but i have some friends with only ps3's, now i can play Tekken with them for free.

It might have weird new systems and only a few characters, but it's free, a smart move doing something like this at the end of a generation to milk some more money out of already made assets, doesn't matter if it's popular or not.

old_school_rival said on June 9, 2013 at 2:25 a.m.

No Eddy or Christie, I'll give it a miss for now.

SeriphAngel said on June 9, 2013 at 2:27 a.m.

Seems he is redoing the character models again from what the trailer showed to Lili and Asuka's faces. Hmm now Asuka is too pretty. Go back to TTT2 Asuka....WHERE IS MY ANNA AND NINA?! NINA HAS NEVER MISSED A TEKKEN GAME!!!

Load more comments