Ed Boon: The original Mortal Kombat only had 6 characters, when it tested well in arcades we decided to add a 'girl fighter'

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 2, 2013 at 4:32 p.m. PDT
NetherRealm Studios' Ed Boon posted a few interesting bits of information about the original Mortal Kombat and its location tests at Times Square Arcade in Chicago, Illinois. Boon mentions that the primary roster only included six characters, (Sonya not included), and after it tested well with fans, they decided to toss in a female fighter.

Way way way back in the day, we tested the original Mortal Kombat in an arcade called "Times Square" on Broadway St. in Chicago. It only had 6 characters (Sonya was missing) and when it tested well, we decided to add a "girl fighter" to the mix.

Ed also shared a small Mortal Kombat sign that was posted at the arcade before the second location test began. He pointed out that the classic MK dragon logo actually faced left back then, instead of to the right as it does now.

Before we brought MK back for its 2nd test at Time Square arcade, John Tobias drew a poster that we wrote a message like "Returning Soon". While going through my basement, I stumbled across that sign that we hung in the (Times Square arcade) window!

Click image for larger version

Notice the backwards dragon (we didn't decide to ONLY point it to the right yet) and the box at the bottom for the text.

Via Ed Boon's Twitter.

Comments

draw2 said on June 2, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

That poster art is pretty sick!
cooler than some of the current stuff you see around now days!

Liberator said on June 2, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

I cannot honestly imagine any MK game without Sonya! (except for MK2, which's where she was missing i suppose...but that was ages ago and she gained incredible popularity and become one of the most famous female faces of fighting games industry! even more iconic than Kitana!)

soggytoast said on June 2, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

That would go for a few grand at least on ebay I'm sure.

Landshark said on June 2, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

Now that I am older, I can't imagine how Mortal Kombat 'tested' well. I like it as a kid, sure, but it is such and awkward and clunky game, both the first one and all the way through to the last one, that I can no longer say that I like it, even though I liked it back then.

JesseRobles said on June 2, 2013 at 6:16 p.m.

Song's fitting:
#coolestchickintheUSA #PMSTwin

drunkendan said on June 2, 2013 at 6:16 p.m.

I miss that Sonya design

ReddChief said on June 2, 2013 at 6:47 p.m.

@#4 You people always saying a game is clunky don't even know what it means just saying it because you see someone else say it the old MK games feels nothing like the new MK's your brain is just clunky

FlynnChop said on June 2, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

I feel like this reply to 4 was a bit more vicious than was necessary. I rarely use the term 'fanboy', but sometimes it really fits. It's an opinion, man. Deal.

Pachendrix said on June 2, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

@8 A comment was "vicious"? Do you even know what that word means? The guy is right, anyone that compares the old MK's with the new one is a complete retard. And back in the 90's, with the technology available in the 90's, the game was flawless. To say those games were "clunky" (seriously, do people these days just listen or read any word and throw it out there, without even knowing what they mean?), it's like saying SF2T graphics and animations were bad.

Cyan said on June 2, 2013 at 9:08 p.m.

Johnny Cage posing like a bo$$.

TheSureFireGamer said on June 2, 2013 at 10:13 p.m.

@ #2

Honestly, she's in the Top 3 of Fighting Game Ladies.

1. Chun-Li
2. Mai Shiranui
3. Sonya Blade

KickStartMyHeart said on June 3, 2013 at 1:38 a.m.

Grrrr...I hate it when the girl character is an "after thought". I mean, that's what this implies. Even when she's in the FIRST game in the series, she still wasn't in the original test. It's like, guys, guys everywhere. Guys sure love their guys...SO MANY fighting game series have to premier with 1, MAYBE 2 girls, but some, didn't even have 1 before the original release? It's like, WHY so many guys? I know some series are all girls, but, that's like, a thing. (which doesn't last, Skullgirls is getting a bloke soon) It's not like these series with so many guys are a type of game that it's really necessary to have so many guys to fit the theme...

Argh, why bother, no one understands my rants of this type anyway.

Mr._Girls_of_Gaming said on June 3, 2013 at 4:05 a.m.

wise decision adding a FEMALE FIGHTER

gammabolt17 said on June 3, 2013 at 5:03 a.m.

Dude you are super deep in your feelings about this.

FlynnChop said on June 3, 2013 at 5:39 a.m.

Yours was even more vicious than his! Complete with accusations of calling people with opinions different from yours a "retard".

If a person says the game 'feels' a certain way to them, who are you to start calling them stupid?

vi·cious

/ˈviSHəs/

Adjective

1.Deliberately cruel or violent.

Is it cruel to start insulting people over nothing? I'd say so. Seriously. Chill out. It isn't warranted.

Liberator said on June 3, 2013 at 5:55 a.m.

#14 he has a valid point! I'm tired of lots of sausages in fighting games myself! I'm still waiting for a fighting game with 1:3 female-to-male ratio, which is pretty much a perfect ratio for a fighting game in my eyes! For example you have a roster of 30 characters, so 10 of them should be females! Thats very fair! Dead Or Alive is the only game, that makes a justice for female characters, but those game is simply not my thing, too much emphasis on boobs and dolly-type wannabe girl fighters! I'd want something more on a serious note, like Mortal Kombat, that would have 1:3 female-to-male ratio! And not just ANY kind of females, but all with different types of personalities! Like say we have 1 tomboy, 1 flamboyant/ignorant type, 1 mature/wise type, 1 schoolgirl type (very young female fighter), one overly sexy/attractive type with more revealed body and in that sense!

Sage009 said on June 3, 2013 at 7:17 a.m.

@16 So basically you want another Street Fighter

wildthing86 said on June 3, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

I don't scorpion and martian manhunter news here on eventhubs so here the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyb9z...

gammabolt17 said on June 3, 2013 at 9:24 a.m.

Gettin in arms about lack of females appearing in "sausagefest" fighters is still just weird to me, I guess. I do understand that there's nice to have some easy on the eyes characters in the game but people just overdo it.

gammabolt17 said on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.

I'm also willing to bet that guys that want women in the game don't want "serious" women. Lest Raven looking like Sheeva wouldn't bother people so much. Most guys just want fap material in their fighters, and they outnumber guys like you who just love women by a fair amount.

And kudos to my dude above for responding to a reply about vicious fanboyism with vicious fanboyism.

JOSHGUY64 said on June 3, 2013 at 12:54 p.m.

Pachendrix said on June 3, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

#15 How is it cruel, or violent to say someone is dumb or a retard OVER THE INTERNET? If anybody would've said anything extremely racist, threatening, or at the very least extremely explicit, I'd understand why you would choose a word like "vicious" to describe it. But that's not the case, and it leads me to believe you just wanted to throw the word out there, when in no way, shape or form, described the situation.

The fact that something is an opinion, doesn't change the fact that is a stupid one. It has nothing to do with it being contrary to mine, it has everything to do with a comparison of something that has very few things alike. And it also has to do with anyone on this earth actually complaining about the animations of a game that's almost 21 years old, while completely ignoring the technological limitations of that time. And it takes a complete dumb@ss to ignore those limitations.

Now, if instead of that I would've said: "you f*cking b*tch, go back to your wh*re mother (who I f*ck every day) to complaint about the game you f*cking dumb@ss, you deserve to rot in hell you retarded b!tch!" THAT is an actual "vicious" comment.

XxAngelChunLixX said on June 3, 2013 at 5:38 p.m.

That's the thing though, why does it have to include because they're "easy on the eyes"? Believe it or not, I enjoy playing with female characters and always did because I just enjoy their charcters, and playing with them more. A female character shouldn't have to be an afterthought. :/

This sounds ironic and I kinda feel like a hypocrite because DOA is one of my favorite series. Although I do love it more for the gaming aspect (Gameplay, mechanics, characters) rather than the Playboy aspect (Boobs).

However you do have your opinion and I respect it 100%. To each his own.

FlynnChop said on June 3, 2013 at 7:09 p.m.

While you're working all this out, you may also want to look up hyperbole.

In any case, we could argue all day about where the line is between insulting and cruel on the internet if that's how you want to spend your time. It's totally subjective, mind you, so there's really no right answer. But we could do it anyway.

That'd be on topic for this thread, right?

gammabolt17 said on June 5, 2013 at 8:38 a.m.

I wasn't trying to make them seem like an after thought at all, so my bad for misinterpreting. You are one of the guys that just love women that I was talking about that gets outnumbered by the "fap material" chaps.

If you like playing with females over the males though, part of that is definitely them being easy on the eyes. Uglier women in any of the games I can think of gets no play, regardless of how good they are. There's not even many ugly ones to begin with, but it definitely matters. Unless you like them already (Raven).

Enjoying their characters and liking playing with them better definitely has something to do with them being easy on the eyes, because a fair amount of the women end up with them being women the one thing making them appealing in the first place. I can only think of about 5-6 women (that I'm familiar with) with super interesting characters that make them stand out, besides being one of not many women.