Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 21, 2013 at 2:40 p.m. PDT
Justin Wong: Flocker won EVO fair and square, he's super smart with Zero - opinion on best UMvC3 team Since winning the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 tournament at EVO 2013, Empire Arcadia's Flocker has come under fire by some members in the community who stated his victory was fraudulent because of Zero.

You can count Evil Geniuses' Justin Wong as being in the opposite corner, though.

Wong made an amazing run during the top 8 portion of the UMvC3 tournament at EVO 2013, with some very memorable comebacks along the way, but he eventually lost in the grand finals to Flocker. Still, Justin had only praise for his opponent, stating:

Flocker won EVO fair and square. His Zero team is the most fair Zero team and he plays the character super smart. Let him rock!

Flocker has won multiple Marvel vs. Capcom 3 major tournaments to date, and was even well regarded in the vanilla release for his Zero, Tron, Phoenix team. Still, this is nice praise from one of the most all around respected players in the fighting game community.

Also, Justin discussed who he feels the best team in UMvC3 is, and how his primary squad of Wolverine, Storm, Akuma stacks up with the competition. To see those statements, hit the jump.

Shininh0: Didn't you say that Zero, Vergil, Hawkeye or Zero, Vergil, Dr. Doom is the best team in the game?

Justin Wong: Zero, Vergil, Dr. Doom.

Just to clarify, I think my [Wolverine, Storm, Akuma] team is upper mid tier, in my opinion. People think it's low tier, but it has amazing synergy and has an easy flow chart!

Source: Justin Wong's Twitter.

Comments

PropLeXed said on July 21, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

Fair and Zero in the same sentence? really? Kappa.

ADMARA said on July 21, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

Shoutouts to Flocker winning EVO. Not alot of people say they did that.
Beat alot of top tiers and killers along the way.

As much as I wanted to see Justin beat him, Flocker came out on top.

I just hate zero lol

DaSavage said on July 21, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

People are so stupid.

Zeldasmash said on July 21, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

Flocker is a fair player. I can't say the same thing to Zero.

Chrisuchiwa said on July 21, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

I can't believe this is a news, NVM I guess it is sunday!!! I personally don't think Zero is scarier than Wolverine.

People just need to admit Flocker is a very good player not a scrubby Zero player like Flux or Viscant. This guy is using his favorite character as me (from Megaman series) since Vanilla.

ec0ec0 said on July 21, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

lets not talk much about him having vergil too...

Abxes said on July 21, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

Give credit where credit is due, guys. Flocker played that EVO almost flawlessly. Zero or no Zero, he played really well.

MrBGuy said on July 21, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

Flocker beat Justin at the character select screen. Justin knew what he was getting into when he chose to stick to his wolverine team so there is no "Flocker picked cheap" excuse.

Catalyst said on July 21, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

@Chrisuchiwa

I wasn't planning on posting this, but seeing the amount of people blowing Flocker up after his win, I thought it'd be good to offer another perspective on the subject, albeit, one from a highly respected player.

tidestick said on July 21, 2013 at 2:49 p.m.

I can't hate on someone who won evo.

Catalyst said on July 21, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

@MrBGuy

Did you actually watch the grand finals? Justin was a dropped combo away from winning. That's hardly being "beat on the character select screen."

disp said on July 21, 2013 at 2:54 p.m.

Everyone who wants to compete or claim a prize should be picking what they're best at. Don't complain if you're picking a low tier character or sh*t on others who use a better character. I'm saying that as a guy who mainly goes for the underdog charactes.

Yoshimitsu said on July 21, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

I respect Flocker for using the same character since the beginning of vanilla Marvel; commendable. He deserves to be the Evo champ.

Synless said on July 21, 2013 at 3 p.m.

You guys are dumb, you act like Zero dominates Tourneys across the globe. Quit hating and step that game up.

roarmonster said on July 21, 2013 at 3 p.m.

zero was in the toppest of tiers in Vanilla too. Zero/tronne/phoenix was about as cheap as you could ask for in that game

xBMxSage said on July 21, 2013 at 3:01 p.m.

With all the hype Justin was bringing I wanted him to win and if he hadn't dropped his TAC combo in the last match he may have just done it. Anyone discrediting Flocker is an idiot. He's a fantastic player.

Benify said on July 21, 2013 at 3:02 p.m.

Tragedy said on July 21, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

Zero winning means Morrigan didn't. That alone makes the win legit in my book.

Regardless, a win is a win. Even if you don't respect it. Sure, I wanted Justin to win even though Zero is one of my favorite characters (been playing em since week 1 Vanilla). But what I didn't want is yet another tournament ruined by the fraudulence that is Morrigan.

Wavathar said on July 21, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

I do believe that he won mostly because of the characters. Zero and Vergil are the best characters in this game, so cheap and unbalanced. But props to him for winning it, no doubt he's a good player. Can't hate the guy for being smart and picking up/playing well with the best weapons available... gotta blame the game.

ForTheViolence said on July 21, 2013 at 3:08 p.m.

shout out to chris matrix hatin ass. He doesn't like anyone who wins that isn't a marvel two player. yipes has to constantly tell him to cut the marvel 2 talk on stream. He's washed up and living in the past. I have alot of respect for the OG's and I myself have been playing a long time.. But you have to move on and pass the torch man. I'm not even a marvel 3 player.

MasterChibi said on July 21, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

Christ you are becoming the TMZ of the FGC Eventhubs. 'People are whining' has never been news, and honestly you should have interviewed Justin in some fashion instead of just sniping his twitter.

Tensa said on July 21, 2013 at 3:10 p.m.

Zero is cheap but Flocker doesn't have the cheapest Zero team an his Zero is better than everyone else

Cammystrike said on July 21, 2013 at 3:10 p.m.

Whatever he plays Zero, a character I've complained about since vanilla. I don't respect one single Zero player out there. That character is stupid and everyone knows it. Cheaper than Morrigan and easier to use on top of that.

Ermapume said on July 21, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.

Personally I didn't care that Flocker used Zero. I've seen him play many times before and have no gripes about his talent.

triplethreat99 said on July 21, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.

Flocker might be a great player, but that doesn't change the fact that his team is cheap as hell. Vergil AND zero on the same team = cheap.

Catalyst said on July 21, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

@MasterChibi

Keep sippin' your haterade.

MasterChibi said on July 21, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

Haterade? Wow man let me jump back into middle school for that one. You could have at least bothered to interview Justin if you cared for his opinion on the matter instead of flagrantly fishing for hits on the matter. Well whatever, business is business lol

dvanston said on July 21, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

"He won because of his characters" is a ridiculous and fraudulent argument. It is obvious that some characters are better than others but that is mostly because the more accessible characters/teams/strategies are often those that plateau the quickest. I'm sorry you couldn't see a fan favorite team win but the level of play a good zero requires is substantial and should be respected.

Synless said on July 21, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

If Chris G would have won usinmg MorriDoom Vergil then people would have complained. If Champ would have won with his Phoenix team people would have complained. Now Flocker finally wins an EVO and here we are. I guess all the other Zero players out there are frauds too because Zero is unbeatable and always wins majors.

Chrisuchiwa said on July 21, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

@24, I only want you to try to play the whole match holding that L button and then swithing it everytime you have to do loops or when you have to hit confirm sometimes. I swear you don't know what you are talking about. Just try and you will feel the pain and difficulty. Oh if you are a good Zero player, just show me one of your video then.

KataM said on July 21, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

What's the problem with Zero lately? I see many people complaining about the lightning loops and such... Really? I don't see the difference with other boring overused loops as Magneto's.

So no problem with the past year champion and his Dark Phoenix comebacks, ¿huh?

SnakeX said on July 21, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

So because his character got buffed it invalidates the fact that he's been playing Zero since vanilla? Weird logic you have there pal.

If anything, you should all be happy that a character loyalist won as opposed to someone that just picked up Zero once he became stupid good. Flocker is a good player and was extremely on point during EVO.

Getdownbrown83 said on July 21, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

Lighting loops aren't really that easy to do

Crondizzle said on July 21, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

otakujin said on July 21, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

aren't you guys like "all's fair in a money match"?

ecwolfify said on July 21, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

Justin won EVO. Flocker won ZeroMayCry 3.

Catalyst said on July 21, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

@MasterChibi

It's funny to me that a positive article about how Flocker is a strong player is all "TMZ" in your eyes. I didn't see anything negative in this story, and it wasn't written to blow anyone up, just re-enforce Flocker's accomplishment — who a number of people had questioned. Plus, it mentioned the relative tiers of a couple of major teams, which I think most people would find interesting.

Yet, you apparently want to complain when we run a story like this, cause you feel it's not news or whatever, and we're going all "TMZ" yet you clicked on it and apparently read it, and commented, which ... is interesting.

It's fine to have an opinion, but I'm more interested in hearing something valid from you, hence my comment.

Loryuo said on July 21, 2013 at 3:29 p.m.

I can't believe no one is really giving Flocker props after winning Marvel. Not only that, but I've only been seeing a bunch of Justin Wong interviews and crap since this happened. That kinda pisses me off. There should be more interviews with the WINNER, than the runner up. Jesus.

Villest1 said on July 21, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

"Fair in square" and "UMvC3" do not belong it the same discussion.

ONG_BAK_SAGAT said on July 21, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

Kaiyuss said on July 21, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

Zero is fair because he's selectable by both opponents. Simple as that. It's like playing Chess and not utilizing the Queen to your advantage, or insisting on picking the crappier Ultra in SF4 because it's your "main", or not picking up a Rocket Launcher in an FPS because it requires "no skill". That's the nature of high level competitive gaming.

PijamaLlama said on July 21, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

How Justin manages such good sportsmanship is beyond me, especially when talking about someone who has none. Flocker may be a lot of things, but he is definitely not a good sportsman. The shameless cheap bastard ought to learn a thing or two from this.

Tryken said on July 21, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Good article. I think it's especially relevant considering the recent announcement from Capcom to rebalance the game. I think it's unfair to take Flocker's victory away based off character selection, especially since the polls ran here on Eventhubs heavily favored ChrisG.

If even his opponent (who was Justin Wong, no less) says he won with skill and talent, I'd be inclined to agree and leave it at that.

Running a news website on a competitive sport includes covering matches and interviews with players, as well as controversies. This featured all three, so I see it as perfectly relevant.

SnakeX said on July 21, 2013 at 3:38 p.m.

1. Are you really complaining about Dark Phoenix in 2013?

2. Champ won last year using his Dormammu team, not Phoenix. In fact most of his success came from Dormammu. Go back and watch it (or watch it for the first time? I dunno) and see for yourself.

Your tears are magnificent. If that team was "the most OP" then why didn't he win EVO in vanilla? Why wasn't anyone else rocking that team in vanilla or dominating with it? How many people even used Zero in vanilla? Where was Zero in top 8 of 2011? You're not very good at revisionist history. Try again pal.

JiCi said on July 21, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

He picked Zero, he won, he was better than Wong, Wong respects Flocker, end of story.

Flocker won fair and square and holy crap did he show his skills with Zero, just like Wong showed his skills with his team.

If ChrisG would have won however, well... your hating would have been justified...

MasterChibi said on July 21, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.

It's TMZ because you mention people talking about his win being fraudulent and you're just pulling snippets from Justin's twitter. Or that he's under fire because he won with Zero. Go and get an interview with the guy, ask him about how he feels. Ask and interview Justin too. You're like the equivalent of gossip magazines middle aged women read while waiting on line to buy their groceries. 'Oh did you hear what people said about XX'? 'I heard this guy said YY instead!' I mean I get your fans and part of the community and all but there's so much more potential here then 'wahh people are complaining' and 'Justin said this on twitter'.

Dingofist said on July 21, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

Good on Justin for giving credit where credit is due. I've gained a ton more respect for him following this Evo, especially regarding his Marvel play. The ability to be a gracious loser says a lot, whereas a lot of other top players might've tried to blame losing on something like Zero.

LeonMarvel said on July 21, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

I'd rather "Go to the movies" than endure Bullet Hell anyday. Actually with the Wong Effect hype I was quite satisfied with the results. Flocker deserved it he worked hard. That's Mahvel baby. :P

CrymsonWulf said on July 21, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

So many ignorant comments on this site that I'm finding it hard to take anyone serious without thinking they're trolling.

Characters have strong/unique tool sets, I personally don't mesh well with Zero's charge style so I don't use him nor Shuma even though I'm interested in both characters. Now, just because the character has said tools sets and they may be strong, it doesn't mean that I'm capable of brining out their full potential. These players play differently from movement to set ups. Credit should be given based on the skill set of the player regardless of the tier level of the character. Tier means nothing if the player doesn't utilize the character to its fullest potential.

Please, enough with the ignorant comments folks, it takes skill to play Zero at a high level with consistency. Doing several Tiger Knee motions in a loop is quite the feat. Also, Switching charge buttons mid combo is quite the feat.

skitz0phrenic said on July 21, 2013 at 3:52 p.m.

Marvel is broken in general. Calling a dude a fraud for doing anything in this game is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Cammystrike said on July 21, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.

@31 Dude cry me a river, you have to hold a button for two seconds to make everything he does safe, while you derp around screen throwing out lightings and pizza cutters. How many Zero teams did we see during Evo, a ton. I'll tell you now I can count the Morrgian teams on one hand. Because like I said he's cheaper and easier to use then she is.

BryceT said on July 21, 2013 at 3:56 p.m.

I play Zero for multiple reasons.
My favorite game series was MM
and he is the best.

I dont understand the mentality of most of the guys commenting. If you had the talent to win a tournament why would you not choose the best team. Why would you give your opponent better odds of winning just because you want to be "fair"

Kinimaster said on July 21, 2013 at 4:37 p.m.

Flocker is the best period, he won. He's been placing good since Vanilla, and has the best Zero. The only person who beat Justin in Evo was Flocker, twice. And there were a lot of more Zeroes and MorriDoom players there.

canicus said on July 21, 2013 at 4:39 p.m.

Last year, "He won because of Phoenix! He couldn't win without a broken character!" This year "He won because of Zero! He couldn't win without a broken character!" People will always find a reason to whine.

SethGravijah said on July 21, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

@ Catalyst : don't pay attention to Chrisuchiwa, last time I saw a comment from him he said :

"I think Zero should be buff, and then nerf Vergil and Morrigan".

With such obvious partiality regarding these 3 top tiers characters, I don't think you need to take care of what the boy says.

DevilMaySpy said on July 21, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

I honestly think Zero/Doom/Vergil and Zero/Dante/Strider are better than ZMC, but hey, EVO results say otherwise.

Amerika said on July 21, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

For all the people complaining about Zero...how many Majors did ANY Zero player win? How many?

That's what I thought.

Clamper said on July 21, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.

I can see people pointing fingers at some fraudulent Zero players but holy Christ how can someone bash FLOCKER. He's the best Zero player since vanilla. He didn't jump on any bandwagon or anything. This simply is a bad matchup for Wolverine and it showed.

Clamper said on July 21, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

Btw i play Zero/Doom/Vergil and cant figure out why Justin switched Doom's and Vergil's positions.

Kinimaster said on July 21, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

Because Zero earns like 3 more 50/50 safe mixups with beam assist, and can still swap Vergil out when in need of xfactor 3 anchor. Besides you get sword dhc out of Zero, not that Zero actually needs it but w/e. Flocker used Vergil second too, and rocked anchor hawkeye that turned out to be pretty solid.

Kinimaster said on July 21, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

I meant Vergil in the first sentence.*

slayereyez said on July 21, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

I really enjoyed this post until i scrolled down and took a look at the comments. :(

Getdownbrown83 said on July 21, 2013 at 5:21 p.m.

Zero isn't cheap marvel just is and I love Marvel

theshredder39 said on July 21, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.

You know what I find to be very odd? So many people give UMVC3 all kinds of hate for being unbalanced beyond belief while MVC2 is even more unbalanced as is considered by a similar number of people to be one of the greatest fighters of all time, are people just still butthurt over their favorite characters not making it that they've become bias?

AveMcree said on July 21, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

@6 flux is a fraudulent zero player? thats news to me.... I would love to see you in a FT10 against him

AriesWarlock said on July 21, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

@Catalyst

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with posting this article. In fact, I would like to see more bite-sized thought of others players as well.

ADMARA said on July 21, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

@65 Marvel 2 took alot of skill and execution in order to play the characters you'd always see being played.

Alot of people want to complain no characters were being used besides no more than 8, yet they didn't do anything about it themselves.

Such a hype game too

okay said on July 21, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

Remember when Flocker said that he just plays his favorite characters and it just so happened that Zero, Tron, and Phoenix were all top tier?

SonicfanQ said on July 21, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

@40 Well said! Marvel in general is not fair. If your going to play or watch the game don't complain about whats fair. Thats why I don't play it and will never play marvel 3.

AveMcree said on July 21, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

Ive played zero for since vanilla and I can tell you right now that wolverine was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than zero in vanilla........ wolverine is still easier and just as effective as zero w/o the execution barrier damage wise..... only thing that makes wolverine not so "OP" in Umvc3 is the fact that his berserker slash isnt invincible anymore and he cant kill 2 characters using xfactor lv1 (and the nerf to akumas tatsu assist which I thought was dumb because hidden missiles was more of a problem in vanilla)... now vergil on the otherhand is worse than vanilla dark phoenix and wolverine IMO..... that character takes less execution than almost every character in the game not to mention he can destroy neutral for 8 sec with one hyper bar used.....

as far as saying flocker is a fraud, I disagree because he still a solid player

MCHAWKING said on July 21, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

Lol, wasn't that long ago that people were asking "If zero is so good, how come he never won a major?". Well Flocker was the first, and to date, only zero to win a major. Sorry but this isn't a Cammy situation. He's a good character but its still the player that wins. Flocker is easily top 5 UMVC3 player since its release.

VegaBisonAbel said on July 21, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

Zero is not easy to play, those lightning loops are not easy even if you practice all day doing them.

TheTTimeLives said on July 21, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

1. No Zero's won any majors until Flocker started winning. I believe his first real "outing" as a top tier player was at Season's Beatings in vanilla when he dominated everyone in the Good vs Evil set and won Marvel.

2. @43 Flocker is a great sport and not a tier whore. He played Zero because he really likes Megaman (as many people do), which is why he almost always uses the Megaman skin during play. He is a super nice guy from a region of the US (Florida/Puerto Rico) that doesn't have many top players (Flash Metroid?... meh?) Would you rather have had Filippino Champ win?

Ryujin said on July 21, 2013 at 6:10 p.m.

Flocker is a fair opponent, because when you play Marvel, you and your opponent are in the same character selection. If you choose to play with DocDoom, Vergil, Zero or Dante, it's because you like them, or because you want to win. Doesn't matter if you select characters like Hsien-Ko, Haggar, Hulk or Shuma, in the right moment, only your skill count. IT'S MARVEL BAYBEE

Buckmoth said on July 21, 2013 at 6:12 p.m.

Lol.
1) Phoenix didn't win MvC3
2) Infiltration didn't win SF4
And that was all I wanted to see. n_n

Jinzo18 said on July 21, 2013 at 6:17 p.m.

chipndip said on July 21, 2013 at 6:19 p.m.

Justin, his opponent, is giving him credit.

Random dudes on the net can't.

THE FGC!!!!

ShadowGeno said on July 21, 2013 at 6:37 p.m.

Flocker deserved the win @ EVO, solid Zero play throughout. Did actually find Justin's Storm really inspirational as well, shame I don't care much for UMVC3 though...

KingKong said on July 21, 2013 at 6:39 p.m.

I love Zero in MVC because, just like a couple of other characters, he embodies what this game is all about.

There is a fine line between genius and madness, and MVC3 definitely does the best job at riding that line. Some people may or may not have noticed this, but Marvel 3 is THE craziest FG ever made, and arguably the craziest competitive game as well. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy watching this game.

In a similar way, one could say that there is a line between "fair" and "broken", and we should all agree that Zero does a damn good job at treading that line. That's why I love him.

Not to mention that this character is simply beautiful from a design standpoint. Zero is so powerful, so graceful, so colorful, so lively, he's like the ultimate fireworks. It's hard to explain but to me, watching him move around & perform combos is not unlike watching a Monet painting while listening to a Chopin waltz. It almost feels like there is more to it than we can see or hear, so much more that it feels overwhelming. Not trolling here. I don't know, I guess it's a matter of artistic sensibility.

Anyway, it's hard to put it with words, so I'll just say that: such an astonishing display of light, sound, and POWER can only be described as marvelous. Please think about it. My hope is that one day, you'll be able to appreciate this masterpiece called UMVC3 as much as I appreciate it.

From a competitive perspective, I wish more characters were as powerful as Zero. I understand that this game is already extremely unforgiving but truth is, I wouldn't mind watching Deadpool or Ryu body fools like Zero or Vergil do.

Chrisuchiwa said on July 21, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

@80, Don't tell me, I fell in love with hiw when I first played him in Megaman X. I was like "Why this character is not the main?" He was clearly the best. But the best thing from is his sword, the sound that does is just .... for me. Unfornatunaly or fortunately he has always top tier in every FG I made in. So Nothing new over here.
Something I do agree with you is that it is very difficult to explain why I love his piece of robot. :D

kdavis851 said on July 21, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

Good to see people still catching crap for competing to win, in a competition.

BalloonSqueege said on July 21, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.

All this anger over what Justin said in a couple of tweets? Is there anything that won't start a flame war on the internet?

I'm not a fan of Zero, but mostly just in the same way that I'm not a fan of any character that has a "loop" combo (one of the main reasons why the discovery of TAC infinites caused me to have several strokes). Sure he has moves that are broken but there are a lot of characters that have at least 1 totally dumb move (2 words, spiral swords - 2 more words, foot dive). Moreover, Zero takes a pretty high level of execution to be truly effective. Sure Flocker's team is dumb, but he's not the only person that plays that team and yet he's the person who won EVO. Say what you want but if that isn't evidence of a least an iota of skill I don't know what is.

Also, Catalyst, I wouldn't let the forum goons get to you buddy. You're doing a good job.

triplethreat99 said on July 21, 2013 at 7:10 p.m.

Funny how flocker liked Pheonix before, then she got nerfed and OP Vergil came out, and now he's suddenly a big fan of Vergil. Then Tron got nerfed and he suddenly dropped her too. He might be smart, and a great player. But that doesn't mean that he's not a tier whore.

DevilMaySpy said on July 21, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

When has Zero won a Major?

Seasons Beatings 2011-Flocker: Zero/Tron/Phoenix
Texas Showdown 2012-Mihe: Zero/Vergil/Dante
ECT V-Flocker: Zero/Vergil/Hawkeye / Zero/Vergil/Strider

Now if you have a relevant argument, feel free to contribute to the discussion.

triplethreat99 said on July 21, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.

Watch the interview with flocker and Gootex, and you'll see how even Gootecks can't help but laugh at flockers " I just HAPPENED to be a fan of top tier characters" bull excuse. It's freaking pathetic. And a bunch if u lambs here are just as pathetic for buying into this " I play my favorite character" bull.

koolersama said on July 21, 2013 at 7:22 p.m.

Wow you commentators are lame.When you play for money..you play to win.People dont join tournaments to entertain stream monsters, they go to win money.FGC needs to stop acting like babies whenever they cant beat something.

NissanZaxima said on July 21, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

Lol gotta love the EH comment section. A bunch of online warriors who don't go out to actual local tournaments passing judgement on other players. This plays is always great whenever I need a good laugh.

GregarSoul said on July 21, 2013 at 7:24 p.m.

The only thing I can complain about Zero is the fact that his alternate costume is Megaman X instead of Zero from MegamanZero.

BalloonSqueege said on July 21, 2013 at 7:25 p.m.

@DevilMaySpy

Was that aimed at me? If it was then I think we're arguing two different things, because I specifically referred to this year's EVO which would make the evidence of a tournament from 2 years ago (in which a different version of the game was played), a much smaller tournament in Texas from 1 year ago, and a smaller/less international tournament from months ago actually irrelevant (don't argue relevance with an actual lawyer).

If it wasn't, then disregard this comment, and my sincerest apologies (that part actually had no sarcasm in it)

NissanZaxima said on July 21, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

@86 Amongst the scrubbiest EH comments I have ever seen and that is saying something. Congrats.

MarthFE said on July 21, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

I've been maining zero since day 1 tvc, why? Because he's one of my favourite video game characters, he's cool as hell. But I guess I'm a fraud, cause its impossible that I actually like e character.

You wanna complain about the bandwagon then gripe about doom. The character nobody used, find some dumb easy rep combo and now look.... How many teams do you find without doom on them? Same goes for vergil

NissanZaxima said on July 21, 2013 at 7:35 p.m.

Lol I love the logic on here. I like Zero as a character but no way Doom players actually like him as a character.

Who GAF why someone chooses a character. If you choose a character because you like them great if you choose them because they are good then that is great too. I think some of you forget this is COMPETITIVE fighting games not this silly online garbage that 90%+ of people in here play anyways.

koolersama said on July 21, 2013 at 7:42 p.m.

@58 @85 When has winning a major become a prerequisite for weather or not a character or team is great? there's alot of factors that can determine why zero hasn't won that many majors...like a hard bracket run or the human factor of dropping combos from pressure.Marvel is too random and unexplored to use major tournament wins as a way to say whos good and whos bad.

DevilMaySpy said on July 21, 2013 at 7:51 p.m.

@Balloon: The comment was towards Amerika, but those tournaments are definitely still relevant. You can't act like EVO is the only tournament that matters and ignore the fact that Chris G won 80% of majors throughout the regular season.

Gouki84 said on July 21, 2013 at 7:53 p.m.

F*ck that sh*t Jwong is the man,he should have won Evo hands down he worked way harder than Flocker Top Tier team vs mid/high tier team sorry but those comebacks were godlk made Evo and Marvel the hypest game of the event,and nobody cared that Flocker won everyone was showing Jwong more props why he is dat nigga #WongFactor

BalloonSqueege said on July 21, 2013 at 8:12 p.m.

@DevilMaySpy

The fact that Chris G won a string of tournaments is also irrelevant. See, relevance is defined as information that tends to make a material fact more probable than the fact would be without the information. In general, Chris G's wins, without further assumption, can only go to prove that MorriDoom is effective. Also, it seems like what you're saying is that winning a difficult tournament matters. I agree it does matter, but only to a certain degree since each tournament is going to be unique in terms of players, level of talent, diversity of play style, and general pressure to perform. Sure, Zero is a nonsense character (I actually hate him), but in a game based on nonsense, and in a tournament as pants-sh&ttingly tense as EVO, a winner should get some respect.

NissanZaxima said on July 21, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.

@96 #ScrubFactor

Smorgasboard said on July 21, 2013 at 8:22 p.m.

Everyone was playing some sort of top tier team in top 8 of Marvel. Sorry, but your fantasy of low tier heroes just isn't reality.

DevilMaySpy said on July 21, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

Yes, I agree Flocker deserves respect for his win. I just don't want people disrespecting grass roots tournament organizers and other highly skilled players by saying their events aren't relevant.

analogos said on July 21, 2013 at 8:58 p.m.

@#27: no, seriously, why not actually contact the parties involved? like, actually post original content and get perspectives from the source. i appreciate the intent behind this post, but this is honestly the lowest possible form of approaching the topic you could have bothered with. it's not "haterade", it's holding yourself to some kind of standard.

Load more comments