Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 6, 2013 at 11:10 a.m. PDT
BlazBlue's producer wants to try a freemium title some day, Arc System Works feels P4A helped them tap into a new fan base Discussing approaches he'd like to try in the future, BlazBlue's producer, Toshimichi Mori, said that although Katsuhiro Harada beat him to the punch with Tekken Revolution, he'd still like to try a free-to-play title of his own in the future.

He added that it was something he was curious about on his own, before Tekken Revolution came out.

Minoru Kidooka, President of Arc System Works, also jumped in to talk about Persona 4: Arena and how that fared for the company, adding that it enabled them to successfully tap into a new fan base for fighting games.

These are just a few quotes from a very long and in-depth interview with Siliconera covering things like the plot of the new BlazBlue, specifically that Chronophantasma takes gamers through 80% of the remaining storyline. If you're interested in those details, make sure you hop the link.

Comments

DevilMaySpy said on July 6, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.

I think that's a logical fallacy since it was mostly Persona 4's RPG fanbase that hopped on the game. After watching Coopa play through it on FinestKO and checking out the anime myself, I started liking the characters and bought Persona 4 Arena. I enjoy it and still play it, but I will never purchase a Blazblue game.

Gillstolemyride said on July 6, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

inb4 f2p new game, no eu, no xbox.

Plz thx bye

gigantor21 said on July 6, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

@1 - Pretty much. Unless they're going to be doing more RPG-based fighters, I doubt it'll broaden the base much.

crispylinks77 said on July 6, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

@ 1

This is what I've been saying about P4A since it first released. It's not popular because of the gameplay. Instead, a lot of Persona/RPG fans bought it because of character familiarity.

cinnamonjihad said on July 6, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Isn't that what he means by "tapping into a new fanbase" though?

Teohkaka said on July 6, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

What do you care about expanding fan bases Arc Systems ? You just gave cut down on alot of your fanbase by giving the middle finger to your existing BlazBlue 360 fans .....

keobas said on July 6, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

Success of P4A is due to well established series but you do have to give arc some credit if taking p4a concept and meshing it together with their game designs to make it feel natural.

Arc can develop a similar fan base like P4A depending how The blazblue anime does.It'll give people more ways to be engaged with the series.

Xul said on July 6, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

Tensa said on July 6, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

F2P BB would be a good choice like what DOA5 is doing an P4A was fun for awhile but I got alittle bored haha wish there was more characters....

DJScrubble said on July 6, 2013 at 12:07 p.m.

#8, Why did people hate the auto combo so much? It's unsafe, heavily scaled, cost life, and couldn't kill anyone (no chip out rule [the only other comeback mechanic I'll ever support]). If anything, you gave up the game sometimes for using it. The drawback for using AAAAA makes it beyond worth it in my eyes.

ZrogiX said on July 6, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

Hypermarth said on July 6, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

I'll still buy the new Blazegreen but I wish they would update P4A :(

ShinAkiraDesu said on July 6, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

an update with persona 3 characters other then akihiko and misiru and others would be pretty sweet

HooliganComboFTW said on July 6, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

P4A was a commercial success (Both because its a canon Persona game and was a solid fighting game) for them so hopefully they make a sequel or at least an add on with more P3 characters

Chrisuchiwa said on July 6, 2013 at 1:31 p.m.

But well, If you want an easy mode game, then P4A is your game. If you want a game that requires much more skills, adaptation, some time in order to get good, then BB is the best game you can purchase.

In Blazblue you have easy-mode chars like Ragna, Jin or Azrael, difficult chars to learn like Litchi or Relius and those very difficult like Rachel or Carl. And you won't find any char playing similarly to another one (except Carl and Relius Clover, but Their drives work differently and you will find that if you try both).

Combos in BB don't work as many other fighter games, because you have things you have to consider doing a combo like Starter, proration of each move, general proration of your character, Bonus proration and hit confirm (I guess like Marvel or P4A). This seems like a lot of tools to learn but I can ensure you that once you understand game system, it becomes way easier and natural.

I am primarly a Capcom player, but this game gave me some in-depth things I was missing while playing games like Darkstalkers. I am not a big fan of its anime part, maybe that is why I never finished its story mode, lol.

casper_ said on July 6, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.

p4a could have potentially brought in a bunch of RPG fans and taught them arcsys style mechanics and gotten them interested in future arcsys fighters so i can see where they are coming from.

Xul said on July 6, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

yoshisixtyfour said on July 6, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

I guess I'm one of the exceptions. I didn't know persona was an established franchise and honestly didn't care for it til I tried it. I fell in love with the game and only after playing for a while I got curious and bought the rpg. I played BB too but for the vita, its ok.

DJScrubble said on July 6, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

#17, Forced DP/Counter in every auto combo. Non-issue like you said. I wish they patch the game and add some characters. Like Adachi would be an amazing addition, and maybe some P2 characters?

daisetsu said on July 6, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.

if only dissidia played like a 2D fighter..

ForTheViolence said on July 6, 2013 at 6:21 p.m.

Look at all these non anime players saying persona is easy and not deep. Lmao.

DJScrubble said on July 6, 2013 at 8:41 p.m.

#21, I thought that too. Chose to educate instead.

Tensa said on July 7, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

@20 2D Dissida made by arc or capcom would be pretty sick imo

Dragonage2ftw said on July 11, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

@4 It's well known and popular for both it's gameplay and it's pre release popularity that came from the already existing Persona games.

Your argument isn't valid.