Mago: To balance Fei Long you could take away his command grab & give him a special cancel-able cr. MP/MK - interviews with MarkMan, Jebailey, PR Rog

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • July 4, 2013 at 5 p.m. PDT
On-the-scene EventHubs correspondent Jason24cf brings us a fresh batch of interviews from CEO 2013 featuring some very prominent people in the fighting game community. Below you will find discussions with MCZ|Mago, Mad Catz' MarkMan, EG|PR Balrog, CEO|Alex Jebailey and SkiSonic.

First up we have MCZ|Mago (accompanied by WW|Ryan Hart handling translation duties), discussing some of the possible changes he thinks could be made to Fei Long in the upcoming SF4 update. Mago feels that Capcom could better balance Fei by completely taking away his command throw (Tenshin), but to compensate, give him a special cancel-able crouching medium kick or medium punch.

Note: Unfortunately, during the trip home Jason24cf had his DSLR camera and lens critically damaged. This is the primary equipment he uses to produce interviews such as the ones in this article and his great product reviews.

Jason has opened up a small donation page in hopes to raise $1,000 to get the content creating up and running once again. If you enjoy these EventHubs exclusive player interviews, Jason's product reviews and have some money you'd be willing to chip in with, please click the link above and donate.

Hit the jump to check out a word from Jason24cf on the situation and the remainder of the CEO 2013 interviews.

After CEO my DSLR camera and lens were badly damaged during my return flight to NY. I used this DSLR to produce interviews, video product reviews, and capture photos of tournament events for the Fighting Game Community.

The cost to replace these items are beyond my means right now, even after putting my EVO funds towards them. I ask that if you have enjoyed my prior work, or would like to help me produce more content in the future, that you join with me by putting any dollar amount your comfortable with towards replacement camera equipment.

Your assistance would mean the world to me and would help me continue putting my time and energy into content for you to enjoy!

You can find samples of the work I've produced on my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/jason24cf or on Eventhubs.com.

Comments

DevilDanteX said on July 4, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

I would like that actually because I rarely use his command grab

KingKong said on July 4, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

Good stuff, props to Jason, we need more reporters like him. I wish these interviews lasted longer though. Anwyay hopefully he'll be able to replace his gear.

CyberAthlete said on July 4, 2013 at 5:15 p.m.

Special cancel cr.mp for feilong would be insane

Skargust said on July 4, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.

I think taking away Tenshin for C.Mk cancel would be fair. Cancellable C.mp seems a bit strong.

VladDracul said on July 4, 2013 at 5:28 p.m.

jason24cf said on July 4, 2013 at 5:37 p.m.

I still have about 8 more interviews left. I hope to have them up by this weekend. The Ryan Hart interview is FIRE!

KingKong said on July 4, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

Well you don't have to agree with his opinions in order to appreciate the content he brings to us

uzernamefail said on July 4, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

@VladDracul
But the online warriors went to a tournament, so therefore they became good.

I think people misinterpret the advice, honestly. It's not that going to a tournament makes you good, but more so putting forth the effort in leveling up your game like that of going to a tournament makes you good.

ZaFuuru said on July 4, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

Fake nerf and huge buff. To a God Tier character. And these top players even think they are smart guys.

Jinzo18 said on July 4, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

@dreamking can you put some emphasis on why Mago picks overpass because alot of idiots think he picks it because its the shortest stage when its not it was a stupid translation by the shadaloo guys who thought he said that.

jason24cf said on July 4, 2013 at 5:46 p.m.

@KingKong I would have liked them to be longer as well but the players are entered into many games so I don't want to hold them up. As for losing in casuals. I haven't played the game in 2 months. I only played casuals on Sunday to past time. Well I played casuals on Friday in my room with Ryan Hart and he doesn't think I suck at all.

paralyzing said on July 4, 2013 at 5:46 p.m.

HOLD THE PRESSES

Ryan Hart speaks Japanese?

jason24cf said on July 4, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

I will link the popoff Gackt had with PR at EVO 2 yrs ago. Or look it up on YouTube. It will be on my page. It wasnt really a popoff but Gackt banged on his buttons as to show up Ed.

Doopliss said on July 4, 2013 at 5:52 p.m.

Know what they should do with that command grab once it's removed? Have it as U2 to trigger the animation.

DannyBoyPERU said on July 4, 2013 at 6:01 p.m.

Nerf feilong, so OP

Eltnum said on July 4, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.

Not really a nerf if you are trading your used car in for a new and better one

GoldenTrophy said on July 4, 2013 at 6:09 p.m.

I never knew Ryan Hart spoke Japanese

powdertoastzman said on July 4, 2013 at 6:17 p.m.

@16 by far the best thing I have read on eventhubs and I agree. If capcom gives fei either one of those he immediately goes to s+ tier.

Bob said on July 4, 2013 at 6:22 p.m.

Cancel into rekkas easier. It would just make Fei better.

mundaney said on July 4, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

You would think that they'd at least know how to white balance the picture before asking people to fund their production. At least seem like you know what you're doing.

Wavathar said on July 4, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

Agreed with #16. A cancelable move to substitute a command grab that is not the most powerful tool in one of the most powerful characters in the game is not really a balance, it's a buff!

TheMasterPlayer said on July 4, 2013 at 6:47 p.m.

Ah so Ryan Hart completely speaks and understands Japanese now? Since when did he get so good at learning Japanese. Damn. Dude got some brains!

DevilMaySpy said on July 4, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

Didn't Sagat have this in Vanilla with his standing short? Yeah, we see how that turned out.

cab1020 said on July 4, 2013 at 6:58 p.m.

Coming from an ex Fei main, it is definitely a buff, but you have to realize it takes away one of his mixup tools. He already has almost zero mixup potential, and once they nerf his rekkas in the update, he will have one less tool to fall back one. Basically if his rekkas get nerfed in the update, and ONLY if they get nerfed (which they will) should they make this change

Baby_Astaroth said on July 4, 2013 at 7:32 p.m.

Great interviews.

Aluppoj said on July 4, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.

Lol, the command grab is far more balanced than giving him a way to Free Fish for Rekkas. He becomes Ryu on crack! Instead of low forward into a measly Fireball, you'd get hit confirmed into a full three Rekkas!

He's trying to trick Capcom into thinking this is a good idea. Hilarious.

JinZo said on July 4, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.

Wow Ryan Hart is actually pretty good at Japanese.

FlashAndBlood said on July 4, 2013 at 8:17 p.m.

b*tches. Whatever happened to broken characters and situational a** whoopings? What happened to the players that were smarter than their opposition? Why must every fighting game in the 21st century be patched and nerf until it becomes a casual blowjob contest.

Superboy said on July 4, 2013 at 8:22 p.m.

Existent said on July 4, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

I don't like the idea at all. I don't think Fei Long is particularly unbalanced either. Like someone else said, it would just turn him into some sort of roidraged Ryu.

daisetsu said on July 4, 2013 at 8:34 p.m.

removing special moves? ... yeah like thats gonna happen

doomfanatiq said on July 4, 2013 at 8:47 p.m.

bad idea mago !
Most likely fei should remain as he is now if the rest of the mid/low tier characters are getting buffed...if rekka nerfed on block again with less pushback or -frames, fei will be punished for rekka everytime they fish for counter hits from crouching strong punch...

jason24cf said on July 4, 2013 at 8:55 p.m.

@mundaney thanks for the view. I look forward to your work

Xul said on July 4, 2013 at 9:16 p.m.

learis1 said on July 4, 2013 at 9:18 p.m.

Holy $hit! Ryan Hart speaks Japanese!

NovaPanda said on July 4, 2013 at 9:23 p.m.

I'd be okay with this change. I've tried to make it muscle memory to use Tenshin after I stun my opponent but its just a dumb move to have for me

OhYouDontSayThat said on July 4, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

hey gang here's a good one! let's take away one of his moves he's had since vanilla! great idea, right!?

jason24cf said on July 4, 2013 at 9:34 p.m.

For the record I think Mago understood the question incorrectly. I personally do not agree with his changes mentioned. Fei is fine as. What was. Issued was Ryan's facial expression when I mentioned the distance nerf on the rekka. He told me when we were done filming, "if he gets that he is S tier with constant pressure"

As for my interviews. I film these interviews for the FGC. Everything is paid for out of my pocket. I work very hard and set aside items that I may truly need in life, but I love the FGC, which is why I went all out and spent close to $2,5000 on a DSLR, lenses and more. You don't have to donate, but taking shots about the donation or the work I put in is uncalled for. That said I hope you enjoyed the interviews. I have a bunch more on the way

Slash said on July 4, 2013 at 10:10 p.m.

Fei should keep his tenshin, it's always been there. But one nerf I want to see is that the hit stun from his rekkas should be lower. So basically this removes some brain dead pressure that Fei has. This way, it will make it harder to hit confirm the first hit of his rekka. Unless they have godlike reactions or know the first rekka will hit for sure (via punish or combo), then the player doesn't have all day to hit the second and third rekkas.

oro77 said on July 4, 2013 at 10:18 p.m.

Great interviews. Good job to Ryan Hart with fluent japanese.
Mago also mentioned that he personally likes the Overpass stage because it is in Japan.

Eternal said on July 4, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

Take away the command throw, give it to Cody.

Kappa

Gurpwnder said on July 4, 2013 at 10:53 p.m.

I'd say that the first rekka should be nerfed in damage, but the third rekka should be buffed to compensate. This should reward Fei players for committing to the entire rekka chain, instead of only fishing with the first hit.

YoshiX8 said on July 4, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

the damage for rekka shouldnt be nerf. if it did then he would end up being another yang v2012. fei isnt as good as everyone says he is. Yeah he has easy stuff but you still have to know how to use them. Fei is just like akuma. to be good with him you have to know him and his set ups. Its the players that make them good. not the characters that make the players good. i honestly think this next major update, they shouldnt really change much. at much minor nerfs and buffs and remove unblockables.

Lemres said on July 5, 2013 at 12:05 a.m.

Fei should just be left as is. No nerfs and no buffs. Certainly no nerfs for his rekkas are needed. Rekkas are supposed to be safe on block only at certain distances. If we put more negative frames on in, then Fei's game would be destroyed. That's his main way of getting in.

Jaaj301 said on July 5, 2013 at 12:41 a.m.

I dunno what you guys are talking about, his ex tenshin is a very cheap move since it's impossible to react to it and nets you absurd damage. That move is a garanteed ultra in many situations, especially because you can cancel it from a blocked jab and it will still grab you.

Making cr.mp or cr.mk cancellable would be way too much, sure, but I can understand why he thinks it would be "balanced": that move opens up even the strongest players, and for very little effort.

theonlydalauansparrow said on July 5, 2013 at 12:47 a.m.

Giving for those buffs would make him insane and even more derpy and broken mago should be slapped and beaten for that dumb ass request

RebornNYC6 said on July 5, 2013 at 12:47 a.m.

markp said on July 5, 2013 at 1:16 a.m.

hahaahahahaha

Spaghetti_Time said on July 5, 2013 at 1:30 a.m.

HE SPEAKS JAPANESE!?

Word.

Foot_Foot_Dive said on July 5, 2013 at 1:40 a.m.

Madmax77 said on July 5, 2013 at 1:55 a.m.

I don't like that, but I guess I think that because I'm not that good at the game XD
I don't see why they don't just give him his cancelable moves, and keep his command grab. He won't be that broken, is he ?

Skode said on July 5, 2013 at 2:34 a.m.

Ashamed to admit i was distracted by big bum M.Bison outfit Cammy behind Markman whilst watching his interview haha

TheTHCGamer said on July 5, 2013 at 2:35 a.m.

@39 Great job as always Jason and I really hope you get new equipment because I don't think some people understand how expensive a DSLR can be. Anyways don't worry about the haters there not paying your bills and there definitely not paying you for the work/time you put in to provide us FREE info. Whether it be reviews or interviews were not paying him a dime so think about that before you hit those keys.

Hope you get some type of help getting new equipment Jason you deserve it. Also don't forget there are a lot more of us that support the work you do then there are trolls hating.

Siryoudroppedyourcombo said on July 5, 2013 at 2:44 a.m.

"Who are your toughest matchups?" Thinks for a minute and can only come up with Akuma. Life is good for Fei players.

SuperTurboFinisher said on July 5, 2013 at 2:57 a.m.

Maybe, like someone said, make U2 more viable or give U1 a half animation like other characters, so you see the final kick but not in cinematic style.

francisyorkmorgan said on July 5, 2013 at 3:28 a.m.

sarif2soon said on July 5, 2013 at 3:31 a.m.

apparently it's not their first tournament.

Est said on July 5, 2013 at 3:48 a.m.

Never knew Ryan Hart knows Japanese. Props to him.

powdertoastzman said on July 5, 2013 at 3:50 a.m.

@23 did u really just try to compare sagat footsies with fei's?? Haha try again sport

powdertoastzman said on July 5, 2013 at 3:53 a.m.

@48 no one asked u to come on here and rant abt "e-beggars but u did...

devilcuco said on July 5, 2013 at 4:03 a.m.

nice try.

My suggestion is, c.lk 4f startup, 950 hp, -50 stun, less damage on s.hp xx ex srk, less damage on srk fadc CW. Ex CW no hit invul only projectile invul. less active frames on jf.hk and j.hk. Reduce frame advantaje on srk fadc on block. i think now is +6? +2or3 max. Whit the 4f c.lk we can get out with backdash or reversal.

And if you dont use tensin, delete it. Thanks

jason24cf said on July 5, 2013 at 4:45 a.m.

For the Popoff in the PR Balrog interview, here is the match ( I also added a link within the video as well)

@48 Yes I do have a job. It isn't easy to pull out a extra $1,000 when I have already pulled out $2,500 to better my production value for the FGC. I only set up the donation page on the advice of many FGC members who said, "we will donate because this is for a good cause" So I followed there advice and they have donated.

you don't have to donate, Im not begging, I am only asking if "you enjoy my videos and you would like to see more in the future. Donating a small amount will help me replace my gear and get me back on my feet to produce more content.

noob_blasta said on July 5, 2013 at 6:40 a.m.

@29 hahaha. Brilliant analysis.

PropLeXed said on July 5, 2013 at 6:50 a.m.

Nice interviews dude, hope your situation with your camera gets resolved.

EnsignHiro said on July 5, 2013 at 7:59 a.m.

Yo jason nice interviews. Please keep up the great work.

sarif2soon said on July 5, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.

that's what i love about the FGC; if someone asks for help, they'll get it (if they deserve it).

can't get to evo? leave it to us.
need support for a game (fg or not)? also leave it to us.
need to replace a camera? guess what? we want you to leave it to us.

illness690 said on July 5, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

RebornNYC6 said on July 5, 2013 at 10:46 a.m.

Jaaj301 said on July 5, 2013 at 10:47 a.m.

I hope you're trolling, because how exactly is Fei supposed to get through fireballs without EX CW? What would be the utility of that move then? It's probably the dumbest request I've ever seen, that move is not even that good to begin with, it's easily reactable and probably the last thing someone would want nerfed about Fei, with all the OP moves he has.

Also, dp FADC on block is -1. Get your s--t straight before posting

jason24cf said on July 5, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

@illness690 I am not depending on the FGC. I set it up because many have asked to help. Know the facts before you post incorrect statements. I purcahsed the camera to produce better content for the FGC. End of statement.

@rebornnyc6 I have donated to many FGC fundraisers. Like when Knives lost his home, when the FGC asked to help get a disabled player to EVO last year. When a player had cancer, I donated. When a player's cat needed surgery last year, I donated. I have a kind heart and I help people who need help. Just like when I took almost $2,500 from my personal savings to get better equipment so I can produce better videos for the FGC. Again I am not begging people. I set this up because others said "we will help because we enjoy your hard work and content"

Also when I was with DMG I took my own personal money to ensure players could have made tournaments promised my the now former team president.

soggytoast said on July 5, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.

@70 - He said no STRIKE invul, but keep the projectile invul which makes sense. EX CW should not be a viable wakeup option. He already has an invincible DP for that. Against a lot of setups EX CW just randomly flies him out to safety for free.

Murdurus said on July 5, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

Great interview! It's interesting to hear things from Mago's perspective. Although I'm somewhat surprised that he mentioned Akuma, Chun Li and Sakura but no mention of Cammy. I wonder if he doesn't mind that match up at all.

jason24cf said on July 5, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

@soggytoast EX CW can be OS if a Fei player tries to use it as wakeup escape. Try it with Ryu. Knockdown Fei, do a safe jump with HK then OS with crHP. Have the CPU do a exCW on wakeup for escape and you will see it will lose to Ryu's crHP. Its best to understand matchups then rather askign for nerfs.

Stay tuned to my Ryan Hart interview for more on this subject on Nerfs vs Buffs.

sarif2soon said on July 5, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

why do you ignore the "if you deserve it part"? nobody knows me, therefore, nobody knows if i deserve it. jason definitely deserves it.

kungfusamurai said on July 5, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

Man, trolls everywhere. Good stuff jason24cf, don't let these guys bring you down.

illness690 said on July 5, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

SidewayShift said on July 5, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

if they were to make cr.mp special cancellable into rekka, everybody would be able to punish fei on block everytime because they wont be spacing there rekkas correctly.

Its almost like a double edged sword tbh.

powdertoastzman said on July 5, 2013 at 6:07 p.m.

@68 sorry bro but when was the last time u gave the "fgc" anything helpful such as great interviews, great matches etc?? You don't have to donate but dont sh*ton the man for asking for donations. He has put more than enough work in to ask for such things.

TheTHCGamer said on July 5, 2013 at 11:38 p.m.

@79 Exactly.

learis1 said on July 10, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

Man... talk about bias news titles. There's an entire freakin interview and we simply lump the part where he states his retarded opinion for balancing fei long. This change would actually make fei broken in my opinion lol. Good job eventhubs, keep it classy.