NetherRealm Studios: Injustice is story mode 3.0 for fighters, many options for hardcore players available

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 31, 2013 at 12:31 p.m. PST
Hyping up the story mode for their upcoming title, Injustice: Gods Among Us, NetherRealm Studios' Hector Sanchez joined GiantBomb for an in-depth interview. Sanchez calls the game's story mode their crowning jewel, saying it takes the story modes they've done previously to a new level.

He also explains that the title's pre-fight mini-games are not the focus here, as even if you fail at them, you'll still advance to the next fight sequence. For those of you who were concerned, Sanchez stated outright the focus is still on the actual fighting.

Here's a rundown of notable details.

• The team felt that removing the block button would be hard for fans to swallow, if this was a Mortal Kombat title, but since this is a new IP, they wanted to try some new things.

• An option exists for disabling negative edge inputs.

• There are two control schemes in the game, one that's more like the traditional MK style for doing moves (down, then forward + attack button) to more traditional fighting game controls with quarter-circle motions and such.

• Frame data is available for every attack, including normals, specials and combos. Start-up and recovery frames will be shown, among other items.

• There's a very expansive tutorial mode the comes up the first time you play the game which walks you through things like frame data and the basics of the title.

• Injustice's training mode has been revamped as well, and now features recording inputs, AI difficulty, block settings and more.

• If you don't download Injustice's compatibility pack for DLC characters, you won't be able to go online and play. Sanchez says this is similar to how Borderlands handled things.

• Hector still feels that Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat is inevitable at some point.

• All of the content is in at this point, and they're just getting the game ready for submission, as it's coming out April 16, 2013.

• The variable tweaking system that was in MK9 is also in Injustice: Gods Among Us. This means they can rebalance the characters without having to roll out a patch to players.

Submitted by Reddy1124 and IceJohn.

Comments

Cinderkin said on January 31, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

I really like the controls options here. As well as the frame data and tutorials.

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.

Being able to turn off negative edge is a huge victory for fans. The MK9 guys were incredibly vocal about this, and NRS clearly listened.

NyuBomber said on January 31, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

...WHEN'S DC?

Astro_Notch said on January 31, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

Yea with all the things they're implementing to help players out (in game frame data), and making the controls like Street Fighter, I am now interested in this game.

Oroku_Saki said on January 31, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

I'm ready to pay right now, NRealms.

Echo01 said on January 31, 2013 at 12:43 p.m.

I wish the team all the best, hopefully they can show that a fighting game's story needn't be a convoluted mess.

Ninjagoon said on January 31, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

Awesome. Injustice is officially day 1 for me.
Dark Stalkers X MK would be way better imo.

KTProsper said on January 31, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

Frame data is available in game!?
That's genius

cadnexus said on January 31, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

Two things:
Will it have Tag Mode and Versus Mode. Netherrelms NEVER PUT a CPU vs Mode into their games ):

Cinderkin said on January 31, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

They said a couple of times via twitter that there will be no Tag Team mode unfortunately. This is a 1v1 fighter.

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.

Unfortunately, they confirmed via twitter a while ago that there'd be no tag mode.

HyperCombinationFinish said on January 31, 2013 at 1 p.m.

Nice little perks or whatever but I still feel the same way about this game and this company. The combat system still looks like @ss and no amount of story quality or configuration options are gonna change that. Focusing on narrative for a fighter just feels like wasted effort, particularly when the actual fighting in said game looks sub par. But whatever, ill just watch the story cutscenes on youtube and be done with this game just like I did with mk9

cadnexus said on January 31, 2013 at 1:01 p.m.

Actually lets make it WB vs Capcom. MK cast plus Aliens, Predator, Neo from the Matrix, Freddy, Jason, and of course MK characters vs many Capcom characters. Street Fighter vs MK is just not broad enough, it would be like SF x Tekken just limited to the same old characters from each franchise.

cadnexus said on January 31, 2013 at 1:06 p.m.

@11 or whoever
What about CPU vs mode?

DarkPhoenixRises said on January 31, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.

I'm impressed, havent been following this game, the fighting looks a bit clunky to me, but I may very well be giving this a chance, seems like they are doing everything right.

Spartan_Rambo said on January 31, 2013 at 1:14 p.m.

#8 Virtua Fighter says hi.

BestAlgorithm said on January 31, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

All I think is missing now is: Power Girl, Mr Frieze, Captain Cold, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Zatanna or Tera

I can't tell if I'm hyping this up too much in my own head or if it's just really this amazing... but it's all I want in my life right now

Tensa said on January 31, 2013 at 1:21 p.m.

wow in game frame data? That's so sick I swear every fighter needs this

Snake_Eyes said on January 31, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

cant wait for NRS to prove all the haters wrong once this game drops

scruffykayway said on January 31, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

"Frame data is available for every attack, including normals, specials and combos. Start-up and recovery frames will be shown, among other items."

We really need to push more companies to do this. It's such a simple and amazing idea

SHAZAMforInjustice said on January 31, 2013 at 1:32 p.m.

Really dig the option to change control motion.VEry excited!

Spartan_Rambo said on January 31, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.

Please to all the ppl praising NTR like if they invented in game framedata please read #16

Torrie_De_Goddess said on January 31, 2013 at 1:42 p.m.

@Spartan_Rambo
They aren't being praised for inventing it; they're being thanked for including it.

bodyrokr said on January 31, 2013 at 1:46 p.m.

I can turn off negative edge? *preorders*

SgtKonus said on January 31, 2013 at 1:58 p.m.

I can't wait to use Sinestro! Its going to be hype.

Aluppoj said on January 31, 2013 at 2:09 p.m.

I give these guys a ton of credit for all of the extra effort.

SFxMK? As long as Capcom handles the Fighting aspect of the game.

Yungin_BLU said on January 31, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

Shots fired at 4chan & Harley Quinn.

Boogityboy said on January 31, 2013 at 3 p.m.

AnaboliChris said on January 31, 2013 at 3:02 p.m.

Day 1 Bought

Zenfluence said on January 31, 2013 at 3:39 p.m.

Sounds good...will be purchased ASAA. This, SSFIV and Tekken (very sparingly) seem like the only fighters worth playing to me for a while now.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 31, 2013 at 3:40 p.m.

As long as NRS makes SF vs. MK, I don't care. But I really don't want Capcom to use time they could be using developing another game on such a title. They are both popular franchises but the thought of them mixing together in any way just makes me cringe a little for some reason. SF doesn't need to cross over with EVERY other fighter that opposes it.

DangerousBacon said on January 31, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

I know many of you are skeptical of this game because the combat system is similar to Mk9's. That being said I encourage you to at least give it a shot. The combat system is already better then that of Mk9's due to things such as different walk speeds, jump arcs, unique air normals, "gimmicks", hit trades, back to block ,wall and ground bounces, push blocking, pseudo FADCS, etc...

The animation also shouldn't sway you too much either. It's not great but it's also not bad.

bagel_bytez said on January 31, 2013 at 4:25 p.m.

This game is much like a bug zapper to me, I find myself strangely attracted to it, but I know that that it'll kill me if I ever touch it

DyingDeath7 said on January 31, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

Seth PLS D: #BibleThump lol but Mk vs SF would awesome!

BumblebeeCody said on January 31, 2013 at 4:34 p.m.

This game is looking awesome!

learis1 said on January 31, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

@25 I know!!! A yellow version of green lantern. That's not a waste of a slot at all!!!

katytaylor323 said on January 31, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

mario3d said on January 31, 2013 at 6:38 p.m.

Oh God,amazing stages appears on the video!! cant wait for this game!!

TheLightWolf said on January 31, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

I can't wait for this game, I saw a lot of gameplay today, and it looks better than MK9 (to me) forget the haters.

iushdfiu said on February 1, 2013 at 4:24 a.m.

Egon_Spengler said on February 1, 2013 at 7:25 a.m.

This game looks great! Game play and artistic style looks fantastic...glad to here they will be showing it off a little more now. Really looking forward to this release. I per-ordered a Collector's Edition already and am looking forward to sporting the New 52 look.

It should be easier to transition from other games w/ the control options.

The attention to the story mode has me excited too...I love the DC cast. Game play and character content is the most important to me but I really wish other fighting games took a little extra time to polish the story. 'Merica!