Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 29, 2013 at 10:39 a.m. PST
Tokido talks top 10 players in Japan, the need for a new Street Fighter title, training regimen and more WW|Ryan Hart recently sent us an interview he conducted with MCZ|Tokido that was published on the Low Land Lions website. Tokido talks on various subjects including the condition of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 in Japan, how his training consists of 80 hours of play per week, lists the top 10 Japanese players in his opinion and more.

Below is a bit to get you started.

RH: Who are the top ten best players in Japan right now in your opinion?

T: “Well, when I look at the names in the current Topanaga it seems they are in the top ten. In no particular order I think:

Bonchan
Fuudo
Kazunoko
Umehara
Uryo
Haitani
Sako
Tokido
Mago
Momochi

RH: Do players in the Japanese community feel that AE 2012 needs a new version to re-balance the characters or are they happy with the game as it is currently?

T: “People in Japan are honestly bored with the game, rather than an update people want a new game. People are just bored with the SF4 system and releasing a new version won't change that. At best it'll be popular for a little while but eventually the same problem will come back around. If they release a new game, it will attract new players also which is another thing a new rebalance wouldn't do.”

Tip by Ryan Hart.

Comments

kupowns said on January 29, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.

Play SFxT. New game right? riiiight? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

southpaw said on January 29, 2013 at 10:50 a.m.

What he says is so true, SF4 has stagnated hard and it's not even close to what it was back in Super when it comes to popularity.

I hope Capcom moves on from SF4.

GooseMoose said on January 29, 2013 at 10:53 a.m.

how do you do 80 hours a week and go to Tokyo U? Tokido you godlike

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 10:53 a.m.

Everyone on SF4's online is just using copied vortex/unblockable combos and abusing them over and over. It really has stagnated.

warriors said on January 29, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.

if they release a Street Fighter 5, it will surely be a hit, how can any one doubt that?

the next big fighting game is Street Fighter 5

rudiano said on January 29, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

Oh c'mon Tokido, the game has only been out since 2008 (2009 consoles). Look at 3rd Strike, it came out in 1999 and was huge all the way until 2008...thats 9 years it was the main fighting game. I dont think we need a new SF game, a new patch with removing unblockables and maybe some new characters/stages will be enough.

tortoos said on January 29, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

People are FINALLY starting to lose interest in this game? I lost interest as soon as ae dropped because the core game didn't change. They just added new characters and didn't update the boring system at all. Still the same relatively short combos, still the same focus on footsies, and still the same ultra system. Capcom should really make their next title more like sf3. I think if it wasn't for the fact a lot of pros still play it, most people would have just moved on to better games by now. Sf3 lasted as long as it did because it was a great fighting game with a stupid skill ceiling, a heavy focus on rushdown, and it was really hype to watch. I just don't think I can get that same feeling from sf4.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

@ 6

Don't act like it didn't take time for 3S to grow on people, or that it wasn't the only updated newer SF game we had for that whole period of time. If the fighting game scene didn't die, Capcom might have made something better and 3rd Strike might not have flourished like it did.

I've come to appreciate SF3, but it also gets way too much credit.

ShaithEatery said on January 29, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.

@7 minus the ultra system, you basically listed characteristics of both sf3 and sf4 with your complaints of sf4. both games can be played with either rushdown and/or footsies mentalities. and both games have had some pretty damn hype moments

ElHiznahn said on January 29, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

If there's a Street Fighter 5, it should use SF3 as a jumping point (in system, characters, or both) and actually take place after Third Strike. I'm tired of all the SF2 dickriding. I'm tired of seeing the whole SSF2 roster in all Street Fighter games. It was fine for SFA3, but not for SF4 series. Street Fighter needs a real facelift, not rehashes. No more SSF2 reincarnations.

And it should DEFINITELY not have the ugly bloated SF4 artstyle that Ono put his hands in.

ovipositor said on January 29, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

breveglieri said on January 29, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

You guys seriously mistake the FGC for "people", as in, gamers in general.

Despite what competitive players think, like or play, SF3 was a commercial disaster, almost killing the franchise. It alienated the average player by removing almost all the known characters and introducing too many different system mechanics.

SFIV actually brought back many of the players that grew up playing SF2 and also a lot of new players (the 09ers) to the game.

Capcom has a hard time trying to please both demographics, but in the end it's the average non-FGC player that makes the game a commercial success, and a new SF would cost a lot of money to make.

SteadiestShark said on January 29, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

NO, save SF5 for the next gen.

sfxtisstillass said on January 29, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.

stinginghook said on January 29, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

Is that why the majority of games nowadays just lacks so much class?

TheOneandOnlyone said on January 29, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.

Tokido is right street fighter 4 AE is getting,stale.Don't get me wrong i love street fighter but i haven't played much of it myself.It's just not hype for me any more even when i watch it i want to eat a poison apple,and just die man,I mean i hope the road to evo
is really hype. If not man street fighter will be the game that kills it for me ,and i am giving up on this gaming era.Just my opinion guys um3 is more hype then it and i don't own that game.

kuiper_felt said on January 29, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

"Only reason it's still a tournament game imo is because of the "big names" that have popped up along side SF4."

Yea, thats the ONLY reason.....

"I can see how if you're playing dozens of hours of AE a week you could be bored of it. Personally I only manage a fraction of that and for me it keeps getting better. And I'd go further on focus attacks and suggest they're a stroke of genius."

Agreed. For me , focus attack much much better than SF3 parry system.
I still think there's room for one last update to this great game.

Landshark said on January 29, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

This is why I would enjoy an Ultra upgrade of Street Fighter IV. It would still be incredibly awkward, considering how many updates have already happened to this game.

TheMasterPlayer said on January 29, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

Street Fighter V should be the launch game for the next next generation of consoles. Leave SFIV for the current console gen. Hopefully SONY and MICROSOFT will announce something about their next-gen consoles at E3 this May.

An update is really whats needed for now on SFIV just to quench the thirst for a NEW Street Fighter game. IMO it's too late in the current consoles' life cycle to introduce SFV. And I personally would like for SONY and MS to release their next gen systems (if they even have any in development is another story though) soon, like by the end of this year the soonest.

Sang said on January 29, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

fgc is full of children.

just appreciate what u have, sf4 hype is now gone cause the game gas been totally discovered almost.
but just play it, its there and not going anywhere.

who gets tired of shooting fireballs and uppercutting?
the 09'ers??
its street fighter...

Sang said on January 29, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

do people know of poker? chess? billards pool?
does that get boring?

n1gga plz

TwoCoins said on January 29, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

SF5 better play largely the same but should include short hop. Maybe include switch direction in air...MAYBE.

Also include everyone allready game needs Eagle and Alex. Models can stay the same but needs a new filter/shade maybe to make it fresh Music needs to go. Dudley VA needs to be Francis D. again.

Needs to update mostly everyone's looks to a new default - even if not by much bur something. Maybe include a TAG mechanic.

NyuBomber said on January 29, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

I'd like another (free) balance pass patchof SF4, and then SF5/Alpha 4/Whatever saved for next gen development.

Sounds like the best idea.

TheMasterPlayer said on January 29, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

*UPDATE last post*

Never mind, I just did a quick Google news search for PS4 and XBOX720. Apparently, at least as far as PS4 is concerned, it's expected to release late this year! yay! Check out this link: http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-re...

Sorry to get off topic.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

@ 12

Exactly. People are always ****-riding 3S, not SF2. SF2 mainly just has the largest nostalgic factor. To each his own but I get the feeling half of them have no clue why their opinion on 3rd Strike is so strong.

If I hear that 3S is like a "fine glass of wine" or "it's the classy SF" one more time, I swear...I don't even know WTF that is supposed to mean when describing a fighting game of all things. Unless you mean it's elite or something. IMO it's no better or worse than the others, each has their own appeal but it still gets praised beyond what it should be.

caruga said on January 29, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

"Bored with the new system" doesn't necessarily mean new game. They could alter or expand the existing mechanics.

Tensa said on January 29, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

I stopped playing sf4 when ae dropped got boring lol an sfxt is decent enough for my sf fix anyways I dont want sf5 to be like sf4 or sf3 it should be different no focus no parry none of that I want to see something new, I dont care when it takes places also save it for next gen!!

triplefierce said on January 29, 2013 at 11:43 a.m.

Games move at a much more accelerated pace now than they did in the 90's. Waiting 10 years between updates is no longer an option. Capcom should put out 5 within the next couple of years, it's better not to squander ground gained by the FG scene over the past few years by trying to bleed SF4 dry for more undiscovered tactics. Best to move on to 5 and not lose the momentum that SF4 has started.

sfxtisstillass said on January 29, 2013 at 11:45 a.m.

RunningWild said on January 29, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

gtfopanda said on January 29, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

@ #25

Maybe because in 3S you get parries, while in SF4 you get the retarded 'you hit me for the whole round, I get to Ultra you for half life'?

It's that easy, really, and Tokido has nailed it.

If AE 2k13 drop it'll only be because Capcom wants to wait a bit with the new consoles coming our way. It would be stupid to make SF5 on 360 or PS3, when they can be sorta killer apps for the next consoles.

TheMasterPlayer said on January 29, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

@29 sfxtisstillass

You must be trolling bro! Do a quick search on Tokido's achievements in fighting games. Undoubtedly, he is one of Japan's and the world's finest.

stream_monster said on January 29, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

@29 Yes because Infiltration doesn't play lame and lives in Japan....

Anyways, Darkstalkers 4 and Alpha 4 should happen before SF5. Oh and if you people are getting so bored, why not try non-Capcom games for a change, you think someone is gonna come find you and punish you for doing that? Other great games exist you know, and this is coming from someone who really appreciates SF.

Tensa said on January 29, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

@29 It says top 10 in japan an tokido is top 10 in japan and one of the best overall players in the world

GentleFist said on January 29, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

I do not agree that SF4 has become stale, its just at a point where, like Tokido said, nearly everything has been discovered, and now what's left is to polish and implement that tech at a high level. I believe the reason that mostly everything HAS been discovered is because, unlike the time frame for SF3 or any other SF, the Internet is far more popular and being vastly used. This, along with video sites like YouTube, allowed new "Tech" about the game to be spread very quickly, cause its the Internet. I do think Capcom should just make ONE more update, but instead of just balancing, give us like 8 or so characters and new stages, as well as improve certain game modes. If they do this, SF4, IMO, would last till EVO 2K14, which by that time hopefully SF5, as well as other fighting games, will have been announced.

kaeshi said on January 29, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

New title so long as they steer away from this rubbish 2 or more character team rubbish like mvc and sfxt with easy launchers and long undamaging juggle combos making u watch the game more than play it.

syrup16g said on January 29, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

Because Japanese barely do ANYTHING in college, have very few classes which they can skip without penalty, and are only actually busy when they have midterm/final exams. After they finish exams and get into the school, they don't do anything. Even Tokyu U.

KissofPoison said on January 29, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

I hope the next SF has a majority of the SF3 cast back. I love watching Makoto, and want Urien, and Gill back as well. Necro would be nice to see as well.

We could stand to eliminate some of the "classic" characters.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

@ 31

SF3 without a doubt has more depth than SF4 but it is just a bit overrated.

@ 38

Agreed. We already missed Honda for a game and I could stand for missing Blanka, Chun-Li, a bunch of the Shotos and Guile being replaced by Charlie for a while, among other things. I just hate that SF3 decided to only bring back 3 Shotos and Chun-Li and make them all viable, but then gimp most of their newer and more unique characters.

rudiano said on January 29, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

@ 30
Back then the I watched mostly Japanese 3rd Strike matches/tournaments and that was not the case. SBO was so hype then, its no way near as hype anymore and actually sucks now

stinginghook said on January 29, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.

How can people say 3s is overrated when it's supposedly the near-death of the franchise? If it got Super Turbo elitists and all average non-FGC players to not give a crap about it, then overrated how? The article is about having something new because players are bored. 3S was definitely something new. And while the franchise stagnated, the FGC was strong. The contradictions.

It's classy because the game requires a bit more "sophistication" to fully enjoy it. It's an acquired taste -- and that's arguable because I feel it can be very pick-up-and-play and appealing in general. Additionally, I personally feel that the game has more depth, which leads to a longer life-span. The system itself allowed for much more entertaining moments than SF4 does because miraculous comebacks were skillz/mindf*cks/yomilayer2deep rather than lucky guesses into FADC into knockdown into vortex into etc. The 90s also had other great games some would probably call overrated too cuz shizb2hard/WhereGuile.

Agreed about internet, but I personally do think it's stale and completely agree with Tokido. And despite what most people may say, I thought AE had the most hype despite the hate. That Evo was easily most entertaining for SF4.

Your screen name is godlike.

How did you feel about Alpha?

mrdrofficer said on January 29, 2013 at 12:49 p.m.

I don't need SFV. But an update, sizable or just a patch, would be appreciated.

It seems so many players, that I assume are new-ish to this genre, want a new game. But almost all games from this generation could be updates and bonus content. The reason we have seven COD's this generation is because people will pay $60 for them. SFIV with ten new characters and 6 new stages would prompt people to buy it. But call that game SFV? Tons of money, casuals would buy it and everyone would be thrilled, right? The thing is, only us FGC guys adore SF. To everyone else in the world, one SF game a decade seems like enough, any more than that and the luster fades. People have learned that Fighters are serious players only and even though they'll sit on the couch for 8 hours playing a game, try to push strategy and skill on those same people and they'll fall off the radar saying they, "don't have time for that."

Make that game, call it SFV, but don't bash Capcom for doing what everyone else does and charges less for now. I won't buy Madden/COD or anything like that because they are huge rip-offs and I don't care to play them online. But if that is what it gets to make more people play SF then go ahead and try. Just don't be shocked when every website calls out Capcom for trying to make money, every casual player reacts indifferently and every hardcore FGC guy say the game we have now still had "hidden tech".

We suck and that's our problem.

SeMi_AuTo said on January 29, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

I know this has been said. But, if played a game for 80 hrs a week I would be sick of that game too lol. Case in point. I didn't play TTT2 for like two weeks. I've been playing that game pretty much everyday since the weekend. Why because I missed it. That is game is the S@%t! Now I know he's a pro and he wouldn't take two weeks of from a game. If I was him I wouldn't either. But, I would chill off that 80 hrs week bullish. I love SF, but damn that's to much for my taste........

johnsonic7 said on January 29, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

Some people seem to forget that the first street fighter 3 was released only a few years after Super Turbo (3 if I believe). This isn't the early oughts anymore, you don't have to wait ten years to put out the sequel to a game. That having been said, I wouldn't be too interested if SF5 came out tomorrow. 2015/2016 though, and I'd be pretty excited.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

I feel about the same, I love it but not because I think it is just plain better without a doubt like some make 3S out to be. It just appeals to me more in several areas, some being gameplay, some being aesthetic, what have you. It has its fair share of unbalance just like any other older game. DON'T GET ME WRONG, SF3 is fun and I respect it. I just don't get why it is put on some pedestal above any other SF game by most people. It only becomes more annoying that most of those people seem like they are just trying to elicit others to praise their opinion or be hipsters.

urien said on January 29, 2013 at 1:14 p.m.

when someone get bodied or cant parry or just is a scrub they automatically shout overrated.

As for 3s characters,everyone can be included except Urien.
the depth of this character is bigger than to be included...TTH,charge partitionning and his Aegis reflector setups.
Urien player were very clear about that on their comment on the last Tourney

FuZzY_NUFC said on January 29, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

Releasing SF5 this early would be quite dangerous imo, I'd give it another 4 or 5 years for that.

edrigo said on January 29, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

I think sf4 did a great job ofmaking a classic street fighter game and still have new "innovative" elements how and when you spend bar is fantastic too.It didn't need the ultras imo i feel the hype for them ran dry pretty quickly(i still enjoy landing them though).

I think capcom should have a casual mode and a hardcore mode where u don't get meter for getting hit. Anyway ultras aside it's good game they could buff the lower end of the cast and just leave the game it'll be like have brand new characters.

I'm still shocked gouken isn't that great after three iterations!

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 1:27 p.m.

@ 46

Yep, and then there's people like you who automatically assume anybody who says anything bad about 3S sucks at it. I didn't want to use the 'E' word, but it is this elitist attitude that almost always comes with 3S riders that just make their community look like jackasses. Did you even try to understand my point of view or will you just go on ignoring that I also praised 3S in my comments?

Your comments about Urien being too good for SF4 are just more evidence that you're an elitist, and also more evidence that other 3S players are too.

stinginghook said on January 29, 2013 at 1:29 p.m.

Because they were the elitists at the time. I'm willing to bet that come SFV the IV players will be hating on it. It's a cycle. Nobody likes to lose all the time they invested into a game. Hell, IV players hating on Marvel is common because they think it's scrubtastic. "Don't play Marvel! Now come play my game," is the gist of what they want. Just the way it is. And balance doesn't make the game. I will play a broken game if it's fun/good. Balance is just icing on the cake.

DandyCheeks said on January 29, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

SF4 is the best looking fighting game out. Some people are dumb. I don't think Japan thinks it's boring, just Tokido thinks it's boring.

Existent said on January 29, 2013 at 1:46 p.m.

I'm personally not even close to getting tired of it. I want to keep playing for a long time to come.

Ryu_Apprentice said on January 29, 2013 at 1:47 p.m.

ungrateful online warriors, all I hear is complain, SF4 is a great game and will last for years to come. The haters will still play it as much.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 1:50 p.m.

@ 50

There's a bit of a difference between acting elitist and simply being elite. Elitists belittle others for not being on their level and demean anything they say because they think they know everything. Elite players are just flat out the best players, regardless of how they act.

If you're using 3S as an example of what your talking about, I'm a little confused because 3S is an older game and there was more than enough time in between it and SF4 for it to be dethroned. I agree with you in the end though, bad balance doesn't make a game bad at all...maybe just for character loyalists lol.

We don't always have to move on to the newest thing, getting games like 3S as digital titles is helping to ensure that.

Xykes said on January 29, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

SFxT Arcade Edition w/ Karin/Makoto Anna/Jun

Problem solved.

Damonta said on January 29, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

I can see what Tokido means, but I don't think we need another Street Fighter title just yet. At least not this gen.

We need another update that gives a few balance changes - not full roster changes because some of the roster are fine they way they are - but we definitely need at least 4 new characters. I'm thinking Urien, R.Mika, Eagle and maybe either an overhaul of Retsu (SF1) or an original character from an unrepresented country like Canada or Ireland.

These handful of balance changes and new roster additions should help freshen up the roster as whole with new interesting match-ups.

DougQuaidHauser said on January 29, 2013 at 2:51 p.m.

Another upgrade, save sf5 for next gen console, upgrade should be substantial though, who gives a sh** if you have to pay for it, I would as is the only game I play....

gtfopanda said on January 29, 2013 at 2:52 p.m.

@ #39

Yeah, I agree that some people really go out of their way to praise 3S.

Still, even if you don't play it, 3S builds so much hype when you're watching it. SF4 just cannot bring that: I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it's just different core dynamics.

Also, not gameplay related:

I wish Capcom would go back to actually paying some attention to the details, like stages (there's so few of them in SF4, they have no details and are mostly recycled), characters intros and interactions (they were awesome in 3S, now we get some 10 seconds long garbage nobody cares and it's no iconic at all), supers (why on earth are they so long), would be great to have some customization options which aren't complete ripoffs (SC5 and TTT2 are godlike in that regard).

Also, some kind of single player content wouldn't hurt if you're catering to the more casual crowds. Just look at Persona, TTT2, DoA etc, they're just on another different level.

dachsun said on January 29, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

@ 58

Agreed! Watching people play 3S is one my favorite things about the game, and what helped me to respect the game and its players more. It has the tendency to get me more hype than even my favorite games.

ItalianBoy said on January 29, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

80HR of Training YEAH RIGHT!! DAT BS no wonder this guy is bored of SF4

drez1210 said on January 29, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

Sf5 is going to be next gen.

urien said on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

im no elitist but comparing AE and 3S to croxx tekken is insulting.
as for urien ,trust me theres is no way to include unless you change the whole game mechanic just for him.
ask dudes that play him or high level you will understand.
graphicly its easy we already have the model(seth) but its unlickely unless hes butchered like what happened to dudley specially when it involves juggles mechanic.

BlackReaper201 said on January 29, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

Why doesn't Tokido just play SFXT? Kappa

mike_asdfg said on January 29, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

"RH: What is your advice for any players wanting to become top players?
T: They should ask many top players for advice and listen to what they say.”
Brilliant

kdavis851 said on January 29, 2013 at 3:47 p.m.

I don't think fighting game devs should spend more time making the game fun to watch than making the game more fun to play. Personally, I think "hype" should be one if the last things on a devs mind. Playing the game is more important than watching it.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 29, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

I can believe you about Urien, but things can change right? You may not have been directing it at me, but I never personally compared 3S and SF4, I even said "SF3 without a doubt has more depth than SF4". Each game has its own appeal and to say one is better than the other without anything but opinion backing it up is just annoying.

Forgive my attitude, I'm kinda on a rampage today :)

Relikk said on January 29, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.

SFIV is boring? Say it isn't so!

Awful game.

MarthFE said on January 29, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.

Yes a new game, so capcom can add some new mechanic everybody hates then nobody will play it and capcom will lose even more money because neither their crappy game or dlc sells and then they want to drop the series even though people still beg for more.... And then the community wonders why, rinse repeat

pinoy929 said on January 29, 2013 at 4:43 p.m.

If they release SFxT and MvC3 in arcades, it will probably pick up the JPN community, imo.

shekeib said on January 29, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

@urien
of course its not gonna be like 3s urien, it'll still be fun to pick him. Don't worry, 3s urien will always be there for you to go back to. It's not like Capcom Fighting Evolution made me not like urien. Daigo won SBO with urien in that ass game, and that was still HYPE!

And you don't have to do TTH in 3s, you don't have to do RX setups either, pierre is a top 3s urien that doesn't focus on heavy execution.

lildshadow2 said on January 29, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

Tokido is right... 2012 is fine as it is, don't waste your time working on an update CAPCOM! JUST MAKE SF5 and take your time and make it GOOD. Kthx.

OSM said on January 29, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

>the need for a new SF

I'm hate this community so much, ENOUGH SF ALREADY.

ShinOwen said on January 29, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

Most of you ppl crying about they want a new SF are mostly from the new era of fighters. I say you guys don't need one. Let's say you do get a brand new SF5 and you don't like it for what ever the reason, then you'll cry and complain about Capcom needs to make a new SF6. No, what needs to be done is you ppl need to step it up and injoy what you have. Tokido is complaining cause he just not the number one akuma any more. Alot of you are big crybaby's bitching about nothing and have no respect for what Capcom has done. I'm not saying they are perfect but they are the start and end of all fighting game.

@73 No one is keeping you here but you, you hate this community so much then leave.

Tensa said on January 29, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

I don't think tokido is really complaining he lives in japan I am sure he know more about there scene than anyone on eventhubs

SonicfanQ said on January 29, 2013 at 6:49 p.m.

We do not need street fighter 5. What we need is an update to Ae 2012 and if they plan on adding new characters then I hope they plan on making more balance updates to tune up those new characters. I honestly don't want new characters and would just like a baltnce update to 2012. Not sure why tokido is bored because Im sure as hell not.

Perhaps tokido should stop flocking to the cheap characters all the time and play a harder more challenging character other then akuma. Infiltration don't seem to be bored lol.

skitz0phrenic said on January 29, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

I love SF4 and I'm not bored of it. An update would be awesome.

Jookey said on January 29, 2013 at 8:07 p.m.

SF5 or SFA4 would be excellent.

Boogityboy said on January 29, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

SuperStraightFighter said on January 29, 2013 at 8:53 p.m.

New SF isn't coming anytime soon anyway (2-3 yrs?), that is a fact, an update for SFIV will do for now.

CrimzonWolf777 said on January 29, 2013 at 10:20 p.m.

AE is the most stale fighting game I've played. And for Tokido to say that Japanese players are getting bored with AE...I could agree with him 100%. *drops mic and walks off stage*

keroberus2 said on January 29, 2013 at 10:27 p.m.

I love SF4. Unlike the modern gaming generation I have to grow up in, I don't get bored of a game's iteration after a year or two. SF4 will always remain my favourite fighting game iteration and I will continue to play it until the online servers go down and I lose contact with all SF4 players I know.

And for those that find it too slowpaced or for the few people who complained about the emphasis of footsies...lol. Go play Super Smash Bros or it's PS3-supers-instead-of-knock-offs clone

Kirin said on January 29, 2013 at 10:46 p.m.

Actually I am bored with watching them playing, not the game.

How wouldn't you get bored when you and people around you keep choosing those same old characters.

DevilMaySpy said on January 30, 2013 at 12:46 a.m.

So basically the Japanese elite hasn't changed in 4 years besides the addition of Fuudo.

acku said on January 30, 2013 at 1:51 a.m.

acku said on January 30, 2013 at 1:53 a.m.

Nayte said on January 30, 2013 at 3:05 a.m.

Play 80h a week since 3 years, be bored with the game : japanese's logic

rewuyiusdbf said on January 30, 2013 at 3:52 a.m.

TedTesty said on January 30, 2013 at 4:07 a.m.

@#84
Kazunoko started SF4 with AE.
And I'd argue that Fuudo was one of the "Elite" in Vanilla SF4.

nullzZzleep said on January 30, 2013 at 4:53 a.m.

Yea, thats the ONLY reason.....

Agreed. For me , focus attack much much better than SF3 parry system.
I still think there's room for one last update to this great game.
It becomes still better for me.

darthvenom said on January 30, 2013 at 6:33 a.m.

I don't want a new game or a rebalance. Leave SSF4 alone. It's still awesome after all this time, and Capcom has other games to focus on(like a new Darkstalkers).

Dragonite said on January 30, 2013 at 6:40 a.m.

Put in Alex and Karin, and import Rolento and Elena from SFxT, and that'll make SF4 fresh again.

GiBGUN said on January 30, 2013 at 7:04 a.m.

The series needs a new flagship title to represent it. Not a crossover game, and not an update to the 4 series. Unfortunately I don't think this is on the horizon

hismit said on January 30, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

SF is a 1v1 game, many players already stated that learning 40 different match ups in AE is way too much and internet heroes keep wanting more characters?

3S is good and still stay strong in Japan till today because it was growing in a ghetto era of fighters, only hardcore can understand how great that game is and SF4 is way too boring for watching/playing if you already played and enjoyed 3S seriously, I think this is what Tokido thinks too.

And if anyone thinks 3S is overrated, you must only watch American tournaments and never actually play it seriously enough.

SFIV is a good series, it's just doesn't have enough hype for keeping people playing it for years like 3S.

BorisBorisAtlas said on January 30, 2013 at 6:31 p.m.

Ugh, just enjoy the game. It's pretty fun!

Zedeyeenn said on January 31, 2013 at 7:16 a.m.

This interview doesn't even make sense. They are getting bored of SF4 and yet, I still see Tokido and others competing in SF3.

La gente esta muy loco. WTF.

Bossman said on February 3, 2013 at 1:19 p.m.

In my hunble opinion we don't need another SF at the moment its to soon, the people who want that are new game junkies who are just thrill for a short time and need a new game every 6 months in order to keep there interest level up, they cant appreciate the greatness and depth of SSF4,
All SSF4 needs is an update.

kuiper_felt said on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 a.m.

@94 you arrogant soab,

"Ppl that want more characters in SF4 actually has zero taste of fighting game and no knowledge about competitive scene."
----GTFO with that bs,I've played every sf game and sf4 is much better than any of them. I'm afraid you are one of the elitist sf3 who have their head up their a55 and think a phd is a pre-requisite for playing sf3 competitively-again, gtfo here.

"only hardcore can understand how great that game is"- please, we're not dealing with quantum electrodynamics here- its a fighting game with simple rules that require training to implement- get down off your pedestal you sound highly foolish.

What is hype anyway?? For me, it seems like it is a quick fix ( an artificial high if you will) for people with short attention spans. Chess doesn't have hype- it can have excellent moves that one can appreciate but that wouldn't fall under the heading of what streamonsters typically call "hype". Chess has been around a long time and it ain't going anywhere.
So in summary , I can't speak for everyone , but imo this "hype" is a mythical beast only some enjoy. SSf4 is an excellent game certainly worthy of another update and evidently warranted by the response any mere mention of it gets.