Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 27, 2013 at 4:05 p.m. PST
19-year-old blind video gamer plays by sound - can beat most of his friends at Mortal Kombat and other games We have seen a slew of remarkable individuals in the gaming community over the years and this kid is just that; remarkable. 19 year old Ben Breen was born 4 months prematurely and because of that, he lacks the ability to see.

Relying solely on sounds from the games while using intense concentration and muscle memory, Breen has taught himself to play games such as Mortal Kombat 9, Soul Calibur 5 and Rock Band. He states that he can defeat his friends at fighting games by remembering the sounds of the characters and their moves.

Below is a bit from the article to get you started.

‘I have completed a few story modes, Soulcalibur V and Mortal Kombat 9's to name two. I can also beat my friends consistently at Rock Band, since I’m not distracted by the flashy graphics!’ he jokes.

'I play games with sound alone, which is a lot of fun to show sighted people. I don't let my condition stop me playing a game, and if I have to get sighted friends help to play a 3D game like Duke Nukem ( a first-person shooter), then I will, as I love not only playing competitively, but also blowing things up!

'I urge any gamers who are blind or visually impaired to look into all the equipment options available and see what’s right for them, in terms of situation, price tag and usability.

'I think that blind gamers should try, particularly with music based games, with the normal peripherals and then if they want or need adaptations, alternatives should be available.’

Be sure to read the rest of Ben's amazing story on DailyMail here.

Comments

Ketchup17 said on January 27, 2013 at 4:09 p.m.

this is the stuff that makes me smile.. hope this guy does very well :)

sojiki said on January 27, 2013 at 4:10 p.m.

Good read, keep it up bro.

revolvingsun said on January 27, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

XFinalVengeanceX said on January 27, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

lol wow. Videogame world is amazing

zUkUu said on January 27, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

Being Blind. That's the condition I fear the most. I'd rather sacrifice my voice, hearing or even legs, instead of being blind. I also can't imagine how you can have fun playing games blindly. At least stuff like Duke Nukem or something like that. Props to him that he still finds joy in his hobbies.

edrigo said on January 27, 2013 at 4:19 p.m.

It's always fun beating up on your friends in fg's. I'm glad that he can play.

Chris0419 said on January 27, 2013 at 4:19 p.m.

Someone else does this with Zelda. Search up "Best Gaming Achievement Ever" on Youtube. He has a walkthrough. Very entertaining to watch.

Gam3B0y said on January 27, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

#5 totally agree
I don't think he enjoys playing VGs he just wants to be normal I guess :E
I'd like to c how he plays marvel :D

#9 so you were trying to play SF with closed eyes? )))

MikoRosso said on January 27, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

He has naturally developed an echo-wave location sense to play these games. That's the case with other blind-born people, and this guy rocks, bless his heart!
I wish all game developers to take into consideration those response elements, auditory and visually.
I noticed the case with SSF4-AE that most of normals and special moves sound effects come noticeably frames later, which does not allow auditory response to be useful. I remember finding that out when I tried it in a couple of experiments myself but not that sure about it.

jme said on January 27, 2013 at 4:47 p.m.

Remember that black who blind? Whatever happened to him?

MaverickHunterX said on January 27, 2013 at 4:47 p.m.

Let me guess. He uses Kenshi, right?

Kidding aside, that's total badass. In MK 9, isn't the sound for jumping forward the same as in jumping backwards?

iMTopTier said on January 27, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

#3 wow really? that was really ignorant

he might not be able to beat Daigo but he can destroy you

liddell1988 said on January 27, 2013 at 4:59 p.m.

This is a bit weird but so nice and inspiring. I'm glad I read this.

revolvingsun said on January 27, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

Mochawhitey said on January 27, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

Mute the tv and collect the wins

liddell1988 said on January 27, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

Gosh, some of you guys are just plain awful.

draw2 said on January 27, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.

@ Revolvingsun

...gotta see it, to believe it..

Freyzii said on January 27, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.

This is quite impressive I'll admit but his friends must suck big time to lose to a blind guy, that's like the ultimate sign to give up! But this got me thinking on how awesome it would be if there were games specifically designed for blind people.

rudiano said on January 27, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

Ralenzo said on January 27, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

Yaay revolvingsun is finally banned, his comments were starting to get on my nerfs and it's not like he had anything good to say anyways XD

caruga said on January 27, 2013 at 6:05 p.m.

@20: He shouldn't let the revolving door hit him on the way out...

gammabolt17 said on January 27, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Guy is outstanding.

Strider_Hien said on January 27, 2013 at 6:50 p.m.

@20 Have you been playing Mahvel 3 or SFXTK lately? Nerf is messing with your head. XD

On topic:God bless his soul.Nothing is impossible to us,no matter the circumstances....

MaverickHunterX said on January 27, 2013 at 6:58 p.m.

Nah, he'll just create another account. My Nostradumbass powers predict that we'll be left at peace for at most 24 hours. :(

jadeguy said on January 27, 2013 at 7 p.m.

I would like to play this guy In Mortal Kombat

PropLeXed said on January 27, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.

I respect that.

VolcanicAkuma55 said on January 27, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

aw man...i missed the ignorant comments. they're the best

DevilMaySpy said on January 27, 2013 at 8:04 p.m.

He should play Marvel and pick Vergil.

MikoRosso said on January 27, 2013 at 8:06 p.m.

@8 lol kinda, I tried video recording then playing it in slow motion. and also tried timing my input based on 1-the moment I see the move(no audio), 2-the moment I hear it (eyes closed). I tried the RCA-audio output for the video recording, and HDMI-audio output for when I was pressing buttons based on hearing/visual response. in both, my conclusion was that the sound effect comes after the visual effect for most of normal/special moves. so I realized it must the way they're programmed in the coding order that the sound effect plays later.

BrokenPad said on January 27, 2013 at 8:11 p.m.

But the real question is can he FOO-DIE

Crazcar said on January 27, 2013 at 8:50 p.m.

Love these kinds of stories, they always put a smile on my face...along with giving me fewer excuses to use for games I'm bad at. >.>

Creation_Scapes said on January 27, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

this is great to hear, my thoughts prayers go out to him and his family.

Luk_Edge said on January 27, 2013 at 9:02 p.m.

I wouldn't be able to play videogames if I went blind, for sure.

It's amazing what these guys can do.

rudiano said on January 27, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

wow really? moderator explain why my last comment was deleted...when all I said was Ben Breen>Brolylegs, and that Broly thinks he's some kind of a superstar...what was so offensive about that? that it needed deleting?

blankaballin said on January 27, 2013 at 9:32 p.m.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/au... There was this guy featured awhile back, too. They should play, it would be so cool.

Cammystrike said on January 27, 2013 at 10:10 p.m.

Damn this makes me want to cry, mad respect.

RunningWild said on January 27, 2013 at 10:14 p.m.

andrew2high said on January 27, 2013 at 11:05 p.m.

Good stuff, Ben!

PCTrax said on January 27, 2013 at 11:43 p.m.

Respect

iMTopTier said on January 28, 2013 at 12:13 a.m.

#18 really? you have to be ass to lose to a blind person? wow why dont you tell him to fight you?

SoundwaveButcher said on January 28, 2013 at 12:21 a.m.

I just can't imagine how he must picture whats hes playing, since he's blind since birth.

fabfred said on January 28, 2013 at 12:21 a.m.

hes the best in the world because of that handycap,much respect to him and others with physical disabilities

Rompehamster said on January 28, 2013 at 12:32 a.m.

I remember watching this guy beat Ocarina of Time, years ago. Good to see this guy still doing his thing.

Tetsuo said on January 28, 2013 at 1:41 a.m.

Much respect to him!

massi4h said on January 28, 2013 at 2:28 a.m.

Pretty cool. I still have no idea how he could play rock band or any music based games as he would have to see what notes he needs to play.

revolvingbum said on January 28, 2013 at 3:25 a.m.

SilentBob said on January 28, 2013 at 3:54 a.m.

You're making fun of a blind guy and you're complaining that admins are discriminating against your "opinions"? I guess being racist is also an opinion to you right?

revolvingbum said on January 28, 2013 at 4:19 a.m.

Kirin said on January 28, 2013 at 4:22 a.m.

RESPECT!!!

Not sure if this is appropriate for everyone, but I keep thinking of a username for him:

THE TRIPLE B (Blind Ben Breen)

People will be like, 'what is this weird username?' and then they would be literally defeated by a blind gamer.

Cyan said on January 28, 2013 at 4:48 a.m.

>then they would be literally defeated by a blind gamer.

Probably not. Once I have seen that black blind guy playing MK9. All he did was random jump-in into throw. He got destroyed.

tewyiusdfi said on January 28, 2013 at 5:10 a.m.

ScarletTerror said on January 28, 2013 at 7:17 a.m.

Why are so many people getting banned. I feel the moderators are muting us for no good reason. Also my cousin is blind, and I hope to play SFxTK with him this Summer.

xShonuffx said on January 28, 2013 at 7:22 a.m.

@49 someone ban this guy again. Ehubs has all day. Do u?

Goldynisty said on January 28, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

Really Remarkable, He isn't just playing fighting games, he is the real fighter

PJ627 said on January 28, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

Didn't this guy play Mortal Kombat Armageddon against like some tournament player before on a live stream? Still pretty cool that he plays fighters though. :D

ScarletTerror said on January 28, 2013 at 8 a.m.

LOL#15

SilentBob said on January 28, 2013 at 8:26 a.m.

The guy got banned because he was making hateful comments against the blind and also black people in his last comment.

There are also a lot of ad spammers around this site.

RonaldRogan said on January 28, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

awesome story. love hearing about stuff like this. tidbit to those he fights:

WAKEUP ULTRA, HE WONT SEE IT COMING.

HyperViperNZ said on January 28, 2013 at 9:19 a.m.

Chur good on him. Top man.

Enter4none said on January 28, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.

major props and legendary brofist for Ben

BumblebeeCody said on January 28, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

Damn that's awesome! Reminds me of the speed runner RunnerGuy who helped a blind dude get through Zelda.

DestinyZX1 said on January 28, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

This here is the epitome of awesome. I love it. :)

THTB said on January 28, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

We actually had a blind MK player come to Console Combat when it was still running. He played MK with the controller in a very unusual position to be playing games. Needless to say, he was actually winning some stuff too!

NM_Flamez said on January 28, 2013 at 11:44 a.m.

I cant beginning to understand how this is possible but kudos to the man!

xShonuffx said on January 28, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

The Human body is an amazing thing, it adapts to survive even when it does'nt have everything it needs. Truly awsome and mad respect to him.

Hayabusa_San said on January 28, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Man, awesome guys like Ben are very few in this community. I like his determination and confidence, and i hope he keeps doing what he loves! I support the campaign of more accesible games for the blind, and i hope the industry can make them!

onikiller20 said on January 28, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

If he's sick at mk i would like to challenge him

holmes15688 said on January 28, 2013 at 6:48 p.m.

affehl3 said on January 28, 2013 at 10 p.m.

this is probably one of the coolest stories I have heard in the fighting game community in a very long while
That definitely does take a lot of skill and courage to still play video games when blind
now that is a fighter, someone who is fighting their disability to get to the goals where they want to be
mad props to him and bless his soul
Keep fighting Ben!

erwuuiosdf said on January 29, 2013 at 3:16 a.m.

Dreamcastman19 said on January 29, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

cool. wish i could see him play!