What does 25 years of Street Fighter mean to you? - Destructoid asks Filipino Champ, Seth Killian and more at the SF 25th Anniversary Grand Finals

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 26, 2013 at 5:39 p.m. PST
Destructoid put together a cool video featuring Spencer Hayes as he goes around the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Grand Finals and asks the question: What does 25 years of Street Fighter mean to you? Some familiar faces weigh in including Evo 2012 champion coL|Filipino Champ and former Capcom employee Seth Killian.

It is no question that if you're currently reading this post and visiting the site for that matter, Street Fighter means something to you. Let us know what 25 years of the most popular fighting game franchise in the world means to you in the comments below.

Tip by Nago.

Comments

CrossoverFighterRyu93 said on January 26, 2013 at 6:09 p.m.

I swear i thought this was an insult picking Street Fighter 25th over Mega Man's 25th. BUTLETZMOVEON.

Street Fighter is like the open gateway for Fighting games to mean something for the mainstream. Such as Dragon Quest was a gateway for RPGs, without it Final fantasy would have never been made. Look how many fighters out there, all were inspired by Street Fighter.

Also, ugh, that first guy really had issues, Street Fighter helped him quit smoking? Thats.....Good i guess?

GokaiGreen said on January 26, 2013 at 6:11 p.m.

Cleckley said on January 26, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

Tangogamer45 said on January 26, 2013 at 6:19 p.m.

If it wasn't for Street Fighter, I wouldn't been able to play and watch one of my favorite video game genres of all time. Giving us great gameplay, characters, a passionate community, and also conception for other fighting game series, I see Street Fighter as not only a classic series, but also a series that brought the FGC scene to life.

Long live gaming!

dro2191 said on January 26, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

if it wasn't for street fighter i would have never got into tekken, sounds weird i know, but these two games created some of my favorite characters of all time chun-li, jin kazama, lili, juila and more. long live both street fighter and tekken

dro2191 said on January 26, 2013 at 7:24 p.m.

not to mention the music

BumblebeeCody said on January 26, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

@CrossoverFighterRyu93 #1
It's not uncommon for people to use hobbies as a way to escape from problems and better themselves.

@dro2191 #5
Opposite for me. Played Tekken to death since '95 but it wasn't until SF4 came out did I really care for the series.

I'm surprised when Filipino Champ was asked:
"What does 25 years of Street Fighter mean to you?" he didn't reply with "money".

Benify said on January 26, 2013 at 7:42 p.m.

zUkUu said on January 26, 2013 at 7:45 p.m.

wtf is with that opening @_@

BlankaBeast said on January 26, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.

It means 25 more and I'll be playing SF for 50 yrs :P

illness690 said on January 26, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.

Spaghetti_Time said on January 26, 2013 at 8:44 p.m.

It helped keep me out of trouble and inspired me to find other things I could improve on, both externally and internally.

When you grow up never being told you have the potential to not be a screw up and then being told by near-strangers "You're actually improving. Keep it up.", it has profound effects.

Crazcar said on January 26, 2013 at 8:46 p.m.

Wasn't there from the start (wasn't even born yet), but I'm definitely gonna stay with Street Fighter till the 50 year anniversary 'n' then some!

And what #11 said applies to me too lol... >.>

mrsbonbon said on January 26, 2013 at 8:53 p.m.

Hey that first guy was me don't be mean! lol how weird seeing myself out of nowhere.

MaverickHunterX said on January 26, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

He did. It's just subtle. Try listening to him again and you'll understand what he meant.

mundaney said on January 26, 2013 at 9:03 p.m.

@Benify #8
Except you forgot about a little game called Street Fighter 3...

bagel_bytez said on January 26, 2013 at 10:17 p.m.

I remember playin sf on snes at a buddy's house, mashing till something cool happened, jump crazy, not knowing for the life of me how to throw a sonic boom or the concept of charge characters. Getting a bit older and going on vacation to Florida and having my parents take me to Disney quest (giant arcade with days admission and no tokens). Mostly racing games and cool interactive stuff, but I found an mvc2 cabinet and fell in love. 1 Asian kid did challenge me and I mashed like my life depended on it. After winning, he looked at me and said, you didn't know what you were doing did you... And I just looked back and said, you did? Wasn't till years later a friend of mine took the time to properly show me some move lists and got trainin up that it became more of an obsession. I dream street fighter lol, yoooogaaa

TheSureFireGamer said on January 27, 2013 at 12:03 a.m.

Street Fighter is the gateway that many other fighters have used to stake their claim. Without Capcom's flagship, you wouldn't have Mortal Kombat, KOF, Tekken, Virtua Fighter and countless others.

JIHADJOE said on January 27, 2013 at 1 a.m.

^ Pretty much that.
Whatever fighting game you are currently playing probably owes its very existence to Street Fighter.

harrymcdowell said on January 27, 2013 at 2:33 a.m.

street fighter has given me great friends and memories. muscle memory, practice drawing,taken me to las vegas for evo. to devastation. gave me a few good animated movies and series. hundreds if not thousands of hours of enjoyment and entertainment. speculation on what characters would be in the next iteration. kept me in the arcade spending money. rage, happiness, research, practice. its a great franchise and seeing it hit the 25th anniversary is so awesome.

cikame said on January 27, 2013 at 3:05 a.m.

As a Tekken player i hated Street Fighter, i couldn't understand all the great reviews for sf4 so i decided when super came out to give it a good try.
I don't hate it as much now.

I guess that's what it means to me.

iwueriiusdf said on January 27, 2013 at 3:51 a.m.

JesseRobles said on January 27, 2013 at 7:24 a.m.

Got me into martial arts (Kung Fu specially) and fighting games overall. I enjoy every fighting game I play, or at least 90% of them. <3

xShonuffx said on January 27, 2013 at 7:51 a.m.

I miss Seth I feel like the FGC is not the same without him. Something about Seth everytime we see him at an event, it just made things more epic.

Seth can't talk about Street Fighter on camera the way he use to due to conflict of intest with Sony.

RamboStorm said on January 27, 2013 at 9:37 a.m.

It means no Girls. What does Marvel have too do with Street Fighter? Them Games are more Retarded & pointless than Smash Brothers Games. No other Fighting Games have Gotten progressively Worse with Each Release/sequal besides Smash bros & Marvel. I never Played Guilty gear, Blaze Blue or King of Fighters cept the demo & didn't understand it. Played one or Two of the Tekken Games Back on Ps1. I can't Say for Those Games but Watching' Hellsing with a Friend. What is everybody in This show Weesssssssskkerrr??? "Immortal Yes, But I shot Him in the HEAD!!!!" "Nobody is THAT Immortal!!!" Besides all That all I can Think is Peace & Love, Hippies out. What is it Ryu Says in sf4? The meaning of SOmething' Lies in' the Heart of Battle & also Dorllliaa!!! Like Chubacco Making that Noise.

Koolassjoe said on January 27, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

25yrs means I'm old! I was there @ the start! It means more than one could imagine. SF revitalized the Arcades. I played SFII in chinatown and it was real. It was Street Fighter II that pushed the SNES n SEGA Genesis console wars by showing the players you could get that authentic arcade feel at home. I truly believe SF pushed the tech aspects of video games by causing every company to up their content simply because of all the quarters dropped into the game! From boards(CPSIII) to controllers.

Street Fighter II has been copied and has caused the competition to create awesome content. Karate Champ was the first 1vs1 fighter but SF2 is the beginning of competitive fighters. Tekken & VF, DS & Rival Schools, Fighting Vipers & Samurai Showdown all have SF imputs embedded into their control scemes and all have a RYU character! Its because of SF that all these fighters were created. The programmers either loved it & tried to build on it or hated it & tried to build something better. SF caused a lot of change in the world.

As 4 me, Im a fan 4 life! From martial arts to music n other stuff, SF has influenced my life in many ways in 2 1/2 decades. Props to the masters.

julierose146 said on January 27, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.

MarvinVelasco12 said on January 27, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

Street Fighter has meant everything 2 me, growing up in El Salvador and seeing SF2 WW for the first time and completely being in love with it ever since, i can remember my cousin who's a little older than i am always went to the arcade across the street from where we lived and he could never beat balrog lol.

anyways the SF2,3,4,alpha,vs. series have always been a part of my life starting from when i was 6 years old to the present. thanks SF for the great memories all throughout my life.

Daxtony said on January 27, 2013 at 3:02 p.m.

the music was pretty hot. anybody know what it was?

tewyiusdfi said on January 28, 2013 at 5:12 a.m.

Zentsurugi said on January 28, 2013 at 10:21 a.m.

Street Fighter means a lot to me. I grew up with Street Fighter, my 1st one being Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I didn't really start getting serious and playing competitively until SSF4 came out. I had always had a love for fighters though. It's more of a passion now. I love Street Fighter and playing in tournaments as much as I love drawing and pursuing an art career.

DBZ_DJay said on January 28, 2013 at 11:45 a.m.

^ nice. Thats basically like me. My first fighting game was sf2 on snes but i didn't get really into street fighter untill sf4 came out. Now i love sf and fighting games in general. Thats just the way it should have been from the begining :)

lh said on January 28, 2013 at 4:34 p.m.

They (the characters) were always real to me...