SuperBot Entertainment hit with layoffs, report says around 20 people lost jobs

Posted by SFilp
January 25, 2013 at 6:19 p.m. PST
SuperBot Entertainment hit with layoffs, report says around 20 people lost jobs A Sony spokesperson confirmed with IGN that SuperBot Entertainment has been hit by a round of layoffs and made a reduction in their workforce today.

News first broke by Insomniac game designer, Mike Birkhead on Twitter, and Sony has since confirmed.

SCEA can confirm that SuperBot Entertainment did make a reduction in their workforce today. The studio and SCEA remain committed to supporting PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale post launch, including developing the title’s forthcoming DLC releases in the coming months. The first character pack (including Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk) will be available for download on February 12 and will be free for the first two weeks. We’ll be sharing news of additional upcoming content soon.”

While the exact numbers aren't known, Mike noted in a response that it was around 20 people in total.

Keep in mind, SuperBot posted a few new jobs back in mid-December, which hint towards a sequel to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

It's also worth noting that both the PS3 and PS Vita version of the game were in the top 10 sales for the month of December.

Tip sent in by PotKettleB1ack.

Comments

RedWaltz79 said on January 25, 2013 at 6:22 p.m.

It could be that they noted some of the lacking elements of PSABR, like presentation, and they decided to scrap some people who were responsible for those flaws in order to hire better talent?

T3rror said on January 25, 2013 at 6:32 p.m.

That sucks. I wonder if this has to do with sales? It may be what #1 is saying.

J_Tier said on January 25, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

"The studio and SCEA remain committed to supporting PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale post launch"

SCEA did a crappy job on marketing this game though. They had better support it, the flop was definitely not Superbot's fault. They did a damn good job and had a lot of talent on the team. Hope the folks affected weren't hit too hard.

TaoTuna said on January 25, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

It could be, but all people are going to see is "lost jobs" and "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale" and draw the most simple negative conclusion...

DustinFong said on January 25, 2013 at 6:43 p.m.

People always get canned after a game ships.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 25, 2013 at 7:04 p.m.

BunnyBoy said on January 25, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.

How strange, to go so quickly from looking to hire new people to then laying people off.

roknin said on January 25, 2013 at 7:22 p.m.

"Oh please, people still get laid off even if a game does well. Doubt this happened solely due to PSAS"

- This, pretty much.

DevilMaySpy said on January 25, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

I hope Clockw0rk is okay.

dachsun said on January 25, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

J_Tier said on January 25, 2013 at 7:44 p.m.

@10 You're going to get a lot of hate. Pretty ignorant comment bro.

Crazcar said on January 25, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

Layoffs happen for a variety of reasons, not just because they did poorly over the span of a two months (which is a ridiculously short window anyways). Clearly since the game is out they don't need everyone, sucks, but it is true.

trufenix said on January 25, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.

Shoulda got Crash, that woulda saved their jobs.

roknin said on January 25, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

@dashun - "well, you make a terrible game and you don't listen to the community and that's what happens."

What a silly comment. And I don't mean silly in a "haha you're so funny!" way.

M1Punk said on January 25, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

1. The game sucks.
2. Unlike SSBB, the game was rushed (release it now, patch the bugs later). It lacks content, inspiration and innovation.
3. It's not a competitive fighting game, so don't shove it down our throats by paying off tournament organizers. That money could have been used to pay your employees for a year.

R.I.P.

Mexican_Guy said on January 25, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

1. Opinions.
2. It wasn't that rushed, only lacked presentation. At least they support their game and tried to fix bugs unlike SSBB.
3. Again opinions, and you should be thankful with anyone that supports the FGC.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 25, 2013 at 9:49 p.m.

@13 How would getting a stupid bandicoot, save their jobs? It would've resulted the same way. Sony no longer owns the rights for Crash, Activision owns Crash not Sony.

@10 I think you need to leave the FGC, because "your an ignorant brat". They didn't even make a terrible game (that's your own opinion) they do listen to the community, its just getting IP holders is hard. You have no right to judge them, because you don't know how business works.

I think that some of the arrogant people needs to lose their freedom, heck part of the freedom of speech needs to have part of their rules changed.

Reminder to people that take competitive fighter games too serious, "No fighting game including SF, MvC, Tekken etc. was meant to be a competitive event anyway, its the people themselves that choose to take it competitively, and tournament organizer that choose which game gets a tournament. I think people needs too stop pointing their fingers at games that isn't competitive, its just arrogant & stupid, and it should be reasons that FGC & Gaming Tournaments that needs to be shutdown."
All I'm saying is layoff.

LK said on January 25, 2013 at 10 p.m.

This is a normal thing with game industry. Developers hire temp workers to work on a game and then release them after the game is finished. It's like outsourcing, but you keep people closer.

If you're a "temp" but want to become permanent, then you better bring the skills, the drive and the ability to mingle with management (always let them see your best qualities).

If you can contribute something new and worthwhile and also be able to carry it out to completion, then it's a huge plus.

bagel_bytez said on January 25, 2013 at 11:20 p.m.

Seams legit

TheTHCGamer said on January 26, 2013 at 12:20 a.m.

@16 Brawl and melee were still more polished games. Not only that but Its hard to impossible to patch games for the Wii you with its limited memory so thats a stupid comparison. So if SSBB received patches it would be the better game then?

Point is any game where the outcome is determined by the number of supers you land is not a game for me and it leads to RANDOM wins which you cant argue. I really wanted to like PSABR but after playing the demo and realizing the winner is determined by the person who lands the most supers i just felt disappointed.

I know i suck right but even when i won matches i just couldnt shake the feeling that the only reason i won those matches is because i just landed more supers.

Logos said on January 26, 2013 at 2 a.m.

@TheTHCGamer
I seriously can't even tell if you are trolling right now. You felt bad about achieving victory through the only means possible? If I landed 3-4 supers a round in Street Fighter 4 compared to my opponents zero I would win right? I don't event like PSABR. You should just stick to smoking weed, maaaaaaan.

EarthRyno said on January 26, 2013 at 2:09 a.m.

@20 I really don't understand where you're coming from :/

That's the game. Low level is really random, just like any other game. High level play uses confirms and goes a lot faster than what many would expect thanks to not random play. It really is a deeper game than some give credit for. Although, I admit the meta game is going in some odd directions now.

@21 couldn't have said it better myself.

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 26, 2013 at 2:51 a.m.

#20 hit the nail rite on the head
The point a lot of people miss, PSAS is jus nowhere close to Smash Bros
Smash Bros does not need any patches, its still good, jus finish playin a few minutes ago
I hav both PSAS n Smash n compared 2 Smash, PSAS is jus dull, plain n simple..

-The graphics on it looks dirty 2 start while Smash looks clean n vivid
-Gameplay-wise I gotta giv it 2 Smash bcuz killing wit supers only seems soo dull n tjat means u cannot plan out a strong hit 2 keep u in the fight, in PSAS u gotta constantly b in the middle so u can get ur super
-Smash wins in the game modes category by far, PSAS has like 4 modes u can do online n u want 2 fight online bcuz is soo corny offline, u will doze off
-The damn camera zooms out too far on PSAS for those dirty non-easytosee characters
-The dodging mechanics on PSAS seems a bit off, cant quite tell how but it feels off
-There is like no kind of content on the PSAS sh!t, jus get in n hit other characters wit ur character...Smash got a d@mn adventure mode, multiple ways 2 unlock characters (roster bigger than f#kc!n 20), a stage maker, a trophy room, other classic trials of games like Super Mario Bros n Ice Climbers, some kinda in-game encyclopedia, an actual frikkin boss, so many secrets n easter eggs (like Lucario hittin harder if he's taken damage n using Fox on a Star Fox stage n taunting can start a convo wit the Star Fox crew)
Theres soo much more, feel free 2 add 2 the list

I knew something was wrong wit PSAS wen I saw it was a download around 5gigs n wen I went 2 install turns out like 1gig was the Vita version so the PS3 ones probably 4.somethin gigs which is seriously a problem, my experiences tell me games(I mean next-gen n not 2d) generally wit only around 5gbs if u download it r generally not gonna b great because its lacking stuff which is y its size is low n they should make evry content free or at least 4 the first weeks, I bought PSAS for $60 which is f#kced up bcuz now it's 40 for cross-buy n I'm disappointed that these game companies r doing stoopid sh!t like this n thats y I respect Nintendo bcuz no matter wat they make sure their consumers will enjoy they're stuff, not giv them a beta, put a full game price on it then add dlc n patches, thanx Nintendo 4 Smash Bros...

people need 2 support games like Tekken more, they giv full games..I dont like saying a game was rushed out bcuz I dont mind getting games early but wat I do mind is chargin REAL money for dlc on a half@$$ game

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 26, 2013 at 3:11 a.m.

The combo-ing system is a little deep, I giv credit for that but everything else I've already seen done n done better
Not pickin on u but ur not really making sense 2 me, SF is nothing like PSAS or Smash n also who do u kno would survive 3 supers n who do u kno would let u build up a meter for three supers, also thats just one round, one KO..PSASs super only is like hit til u can get ur super then find a way 2 land it but there is no look-for-an-opening-2-strike unlike Smash or at times SF bcuz u need to hav constant hitting 2 build ur meter..
the game sounded good in development but wat I got didnt excite me for more than a couple days

khweiuhiuhsdf said on January 26, 2013 at 3:22 a.m.

BumblebeeCody said on January 26, 2013 at 5 a.m.

Can't help but think that if maybe people within the fighting game community would've taken this game seriously and supported instead of being close minded and calling it a party game, they wouldn't had to lay people off.

JiCi said on January 26, 2013 at 5:30 a.m.

@26 That's... an interesting point of view. So what if it's Smash Bros with Sony? The game's good. Sure, it's mostly about stock matches and timed stock matches, but at least it's satisfying using the supers. Brawl literally wasted the Final Smashes by making them usable an item, something that is usually turned OFF during almost every match. If Brawl had a gauge that filled up to use the Final Smash instead of an item, that would have been a blast to play even more. It's like if SFxT would have been using gems to get super moves, that wouldn't fun at all.

It's true that if a project is over, then they need less people. Also, that game was the first game for the company. So, it's kind of normal that they need to try people and yes, they need to lay off the ones that didn't achieve what the company was looking for. Maybe the lay-off concerns QA testers that they don't need for another year, maybe it's about a bunch of people that they hired near the end of the project for extra help that they don't need anymore.

All in all, it happens, but it's not because Superbot or Sony are in trouble. BTW, the game's good, it's not perfect, but it's definitely not trash either. So, how about that we all buy the upcoming character & stage for this game and tell Sony and Superbot that we want more of this game?

@23 The problem with SSB's content is that most of it is useless. Coin matches are dumb, special matches are dumb, especially Camera Mode where you couldn't even put pictures on a SD card and hope that your computer reads them as JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs or such, the Subspace Emissary was dull most of the time compared to Melee's Adventure mode, the stickers are mandatory for SSE because the characters were WEAKER than usual, the demos in Brawl were useless, the Final Smashes were useless, as explained above, and the stage maker didn't work miracles like for recreating the N64 stages.

DarkFlare07 said on January 26, 2013 at 5:35 a.m.

I doubt you really own this game so im just gona assume ur a ssb fangirl whose upset that this game gets attention. High level play requires you to outplay n outsmart your opponents so when u say stupid things like, "there is no look for an opening to strike." Thats when ur credibility goes down the drain. And who the fudge plays fighting games for offline content? Go play ur mario n zelda games for that. If you dont like this game then why do u people come in these topics? Oh right to glorify ur bros game, jeez the game is comin cant u girls just wait a bit?!

KataM said on January 26, 2013 at 6:45 a.m.

Anyone who works in the industry is well aware that this is quite common. When a game/project is finished people gets fired, the personal is continually updated and not many repeat in two games/projects.

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 26, 2013 at 8:42 a.m.

I hav both games n im not even a girl..by looking for opportunity 2 strike I meant wen I play PSAS, if I'm not constantly fighting n hittin someone, I won't b gettin AP, which leads to no kill that ends wit me losing..I don't play Mario n Zelda, I play fighting games besides 2k n CoD but if my connection goes out best believe I'll b offline or playin 2 learn the game, dont assume who I am n get me completely wrong, I hav a lot of games n many of them fighters, I like 2 play all kinds of fighters

Wats wrong wit u, y r u here whinin like a lil girl, tryna defend ur game cuz u feel its threatened,I did not come here 2 talk about Smash u low-life muthaf#kca, y do u choose 2 reply 2 my sh!t in a negative way, aint nobody was talkin 2 ur dumb@$$ anyway u swagless monkey..I read a comment n made me wanna respond n again I HAV this game n it was fun but it got boring after I played it the first week n the only time I play now is on Vita, so keep ur mouth shut dummy...Im simply sayin I CAN play Smash offline n its still entertaining

I had high hopes but so many things kept hindering my experience n I mentioned a few of those things earlier, no need 2 again....also any fighter can b a competitive fighter as long as there r people willing 2 compete

Atemu69 said on January 26, 2013 at 9:46 a.m.

#10 and #15 are blatant spastics.
@10 SuperBot HAS been listening to the community and does everything they can as fast as they can.
@15 You must be new to the FGC. Newer than the UMvC3 start ups. EVERY fighter that has recently came out has been patched, even ones that were in arcades before hand then ported got patched. The game has been very well received by the FGC and no one really gives a sh*t as to what people like you have to say because you have a biased opinion and think every game needs to be Marvel or Street Fighter. If you don't like the game, don't click the news on it and post your sh*tty support-lacking comment section.

CrossoverFighterRyu93 said on January 26, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

As much as i hate Superbot and Playstation All Stars, i wish good luck to the people who got laid off.

No_Surrender said on January 26, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.

The way I see it is if Superbot had implemented a damage gauge (or whatever you wanna call it) a la Smash Bros, then PSASBR would be damn near a carbon copy of Smash Bros. Yes, PSAS is similar to Smash Bros in many ways but at least you can differentiate the two by the KO systems.

Also, in terms of presentation and content, I'd rather compare PSASBR to Smash 64 only because this is Superbot's first try at the party fighting genre just as Smash 64 was. IF there is a PSASBR 2, then we will see how much Superbot improves the presentation, gameplay, and content of the game.

Just my two cents.

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 27, 2013 at 2:29 a.m.

I think comparing PSAS 2 Smash 64 wouldnt b fair,Smash 64 was, well, on the Nintendo meanwhile PSAS is like 3 generations ahead with limited content but mayb comparing it 2 Melee could be suitable..that 'sony spokes person' shouldve told us the reasons for the layoffs
As far as a damage gauge goes, the dont need a 'damage' gauge but a health system would help or a game mode where u can choose 2 use stamina instead of super KOs

iwueriiusdf said on January 27, 2013 at 3:51 a.m.