Sega Cup 2013 - Justin Wong's Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown challenge

Posted by SFilp
January 24, 2013 at 1:39 p.m. PST
Sega Cup 2013 - Justin Wong's Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown challenge Sega has decided to have a little fun with their upcoming Sega Cup Virtua Fighter tournament in April. They are taking an established 2D fighting game champion, Evil Geniuses' Justin Wong and challenging him to compete in the Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown tournament.

This is what Justin had to say about the challenge.

I look forward to playing Virtual Fighter 5 Final Showdown. I have played just about every fighting game that’s out besides it. It’s definitely a hard game that takes a lot of dedication and I would love to see if I can learn the game and play with the players that have enjoyed it for so long.

For more information on the upcoming Sega Cup check our tournament roundup from mid-December.

Comments

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 24, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.

As much as my attention tends to sway towards other fighters, if I pop in VF I get sucked in to playing for hours and days. It's really addicting for some reason and should be a bit more recognized for its quality.

CyberAthlete said on January 24, 2013 at 1:47 p.m.

I hope fuudo gets in this also.

dorayaki said on January 24, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

This is just a stunt- a weak a$$ attempt to get exposure. I personally think VF is the best FG (not necessarily the most fun) but c'mon. Any foo knows you can't pick up a copy of VF and think you're going to do anything vs the veterans. Like asking Kenny G to a DJ spin off just bcuz he's into music. Props to jwong if he even comes close to pulling something off.

NoizyChild said on January 24, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

Not to sound like a troll, but it sounds like Sega is trying to use Justin to get people to actually pay attention to Virtua Fighter.

Existent said on January 24, 2013 at 2:12 p.m.

If he gets help from the right sources I could see him doing well.

eyekantspele said on January 24, 2013 at 2:16 p.m.

@4 And I hope it works. Virtual Fighter is such a good game but America is only playing games labled with Capcom.

NoizyChild said on January 24, 2013 at 2:20 p.m.

So how do you feel about TTT2, P4A, and MK9?

Last I checked, none of those games were made by Capcom.

Hypermarth said on January 24, 2013 at 2:29 p.m.

Well.... I don't really enjoy 3D fighters usually. Nothing against Virtua fighter personally, I don't play Soul Calibur or Tekken either.

I at least mess around in Soul Calibur or Tekken when somebody pulls it out because I like some of the characters. But Virtua fighters characters never really stood out to me. I hear about people mashing buttons on Eddie and the amusing cut-scenes of Tekken so I checked it out. Lili is my favorite archetype of character so I was like "Alright Tekken, I won't play you but I'll appreciate Lili" Soul Calibur had Setsuka, who was taken out in 5 and replaced with a dude so that was a bit disappointing but I could make my own character so that was kind of fun, but I still wasn't a huge fan of the 3D fighter gameplay.

Synless said on January 24, 2013 at 2:35 p.m.

Hell yeah Sega, america needs to find out how good VF can be.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 24, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

@ 8

As a fellow Mitsuru fan, I know how it is to like characters mostly for aesthetic purposes, and Virtua Fighter gets a bad rap in this regard. I like to see it as the characters having the most realism out of any fighter, and that alone gives the game a unique aspect. The game is tougher by 3D-fighter standards, but once you give it more of a try you'll see how fun it can be.

I thought the same thing. VF seems so dull and low impact at first. But hey if 3D fighters aren't your thing, you've got way more selection with 2D anyways.

poignant_potency said on January 24, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

This sounds really cool Justin seems to be fairly competent in any game he applies himself to so it'll be fun to see him tackle VF.

The game is super solid and fun but the idea that it has such a ridiculously high barrier of entry is what I think hinders it the most.

I personally liken it to the board game Go, easy as placing a stone on the board yet difficult enough to sate the greatest tactician...

RunningWild said on January 24, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.

TheShadowDancer6 said on January 24, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.

I dont know how accurate this "the game is really hard to get into and needs dedication to be half decent at" argument is... I just think you have to be decent at 3D fighters to be ok with the game. I started playing VF5:FS for the first time when it got released on PSN an without much practice I seem to be doing ok online. I have learnt the movelist for Jacky an have won 65 out of 74 matches. Maybe I am coming up against noobs or something but I get owned on UMvC3, which is regarded as scrub friendly but have much more luck in VF...

soakrates said on January 24, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

@4 So what if they are? I'm all for anything that will help VF get more exposure, and getting one of the most well-known fighting game players to enter their tournament is a pretty damned clever way of going about it. Even better if he ends up doing well. LA Akira will probably do a lot to help him get up to speed, and it'd be foolish to count out someone as talented as Justin.

jme said on January 24, 2013 at 2:54 p.m.

Not even lying I think VF5 is the best 3d fighter. Yes even vetter than DoA and Tekken tag 2

revolvingsun said on January 24, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

Reality said on January 24, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

king_e_dawg said on January 24, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

I'd be down to see Justin vs. Fuudo, but there's no question Justin would get destroyed. In fact, pretty much any American player would; Japanese VF is on a level of its own. No offense to guys like LA Akira who are dedicated to the game, but most VF matches here just look like Tekken matches with the VF mechanics attached - lots of spacing and trading attacks trying to bait out the frame advantage. High level VF in Japan is a beautiful thing. There's so much more movement and complete mastery of characters with fades and special stances.

eyekantspele said on January 24, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.

@7 Dont care about any of those games *Kappa*
'sides, all of those games suffered the same fate as Virtual fighter their just dieing slowly. Capcom games pulls all americans.

Tensa said on January 24, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.

Personally I hate the vf characters I don't really like how they look nor do I like how the game feels but that doesn't mean I don't want VF to grow I hope vf grows an I respect the players who play it an try to get other people to play it I don't know if getting Justin to play vf will help but you never know

phoenixkusanagi said on January 24, 2013 at 3:14 p.m.

@18 I would love to see that. Anyone have links to any matches w/Japanese players on YouTube to display?

bunny said on January 24, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

off topic but i finally watched king of chinatown i got a whole nother level of respect for jwong way above just his fg skills but as a person got nothing but respect for the dude...if any one can jump in the water and swim w the sharks its justin go get em man

RebornNYC said on January 24, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

MahvelBaby said on January 24, 2013 at 3:38 p.m.

It's like everyone forgot this existed.

SgtKonus said on January 24, 2013 at 4:19 p.m.

I like VF but I must admit, the characters are somewhat bland in regard to personality. Its hard to get behind most of them.

The gameplay is incredible and deep.

king_e_dawg said on January 24, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

Search for the Beat-Tribe Cup (VF5FS). Really hype matches, a really good example of the yomi this game is capable of.

SpinningBirdKick said on January 24, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

Get Fuudo in this so he can show Justin how it's done

king_e_dawg said on January 24, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

You can also find some good matches from SBO 2010.

sarahlaura566 said on January 24, 2013 at 6:25 p.m.

masang said on January 24, 2013 at 6:37 p.m.

fuudo is ten times more entertaining to watch playing lion in vf4

Smorgasboard said on January 24, 2013 at 7:47 p.m.

If a game is boring to watch, it is bad? Sigh....

Anyway, this is good for VF because Justin Wong probably has more fans than it does.

noodalls said on January 24, 2013 at 8:51 p.m.

Nobody mentions Rip (one of the Tekken players) doing well at VF5FS when it was released as an example of someone from another game doing well at VF?

I'm sure Justin could learn and apply hit confirms for one character very well, likely he'd struggle with the opponent's character knowledge though.

And why is it always Virtual Fighter when in relation to Justin Wong. Same thing when he was talking about his desert island games.

king_e_dawg said on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 p.m.

Actually, I forgot... Justin was here in Albuquerque a couple years ago for our "major;" a tournament at the yearly comic expo. He destroyed everyone, took our money, defiled our women and burned our mud huts. But I did walk up and ask if he wanted to money match in VF5 (pre-Final Showdown, mind you). As I recall, he very indifferently said "No."

JUSTIN, WHY YOU DUCKIN' ME???

ywuieoisdf said on January 25, 2013 at 3:35 a.m.

Reality said on January 25, 2013 at 8:25 a.m.

alicejulie708 said on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

TheTHCGamer said on January 25, 2013 at 1:43 p.m.

@4NoizyChild you are a troll because any article that features VF in it you post a negative comment about the game. If you dont like the game or suck at it (which you probably do) then find an article about a game you do like TROLL.

Im not trolling but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXO-X...
Soakrates dont bother Noizy is just trolling VF again and i guess ill troll him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJ7xm...

huber said on January 25, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.

if Justin can pull off some good matches at this event it would be great for the VF scene. people pay attention to the big names out there.