Harada: It seems that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 24, 2013 at 11:06 a.m. PST
Harada: It seems that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada said on Twitter recently he feels that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games. He added that while he's a PC gamer, and owns a ton of games on Steam, he doesn't feel that platform is a good one for the fighting game genre.

N0_25: Do you use Steam?

Harada: I'm PC gamer. Of course I [have a] Steam account and tons of games. But fighting game is not good for PC, I think.

StephenFawkes1: That's wrong, Harada.

Harada: NOT WRONG. Most important thing = It seems that many of PC Gamer is not interested in fighting game.

Capcom is one of the few companies to release their fighting games on the PC in recent memory, with both Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken being available for consumers.

Still, a small percentage of major fighting game releases for the consoles ever make their way to the PC, even to this day.

Judging from Harada's statements, it doesn't look like this trend is going away any time soon.

Comments

godfist314 said on January 24, 2013 at 4:37 p.m.

I would love to see more fighting games on PC. Did Harada miss the recent announcement about Divekick being on PS3 and PC?

hey said on January 24, 2013 at 4:41 p.m.

He's right, it is pretty hard to play fighting games on PC when they refuse to release fighting games on PC.

BlankaBeast said on January 24, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

Exactly what 6 and 14 said....

....my work here is done.

;-)

yes4me said on January 24, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

I care but I want a good entertaining fighting game. My top picks?
- SSF4
- Darkstalker
- DOA5
- Soul Calibur
- KOF
- TT2
- GGXX

And that's it. I have no interest into the rest.

gunosaguki said on January 24, 2013 at 5:08 p.m.

I MASSIVELY prefer fighting games on my PC. I'd love to support PC version but i've bought every modern PC fighting game there is! which is like 2-3 of them.

yeah. great logic harada

lordrockman said on January 24, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

@#13 so.... how do people organize tournaments? WHERE DOES THE DISCO GO DUDE? does it play by magic? 0.0 0.0

Pallero said on January 24, 2013 at 5:56 p.m.

Maybe if PC gamers received support from these companies, people would be more willing to buy the products.

As in we are still F....ING waiting Capcom for that SFxT patch for PC...STILL.....WAITING....

MaverickHunterX said on January 24, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

The availability of fighting games on the PC is a refreshing idea. I'm already sick and tired of all the Star Crafts, point and click grinders, and pay to win shooters.

sarahlaura566 said on January 24, 2013 at 6:26 p.m.

chipndip said on January 24, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.

107: That's the second issue. Contracts. Tons of 'em. Capcom's still trying to get through that mess. They got contracts with Sega and Namco for Project X and SF X TKN (Sega not included in that one), and they still gotta make contracts with Microsoft to get their patches through to the pc release. The amount of headache their legal department must go through is pretty uncanny. They're the primary company that does so much work with different companies on a near regular basis. Even Phoenix Wright is getting a cross over. Why? Cause combining the best lawyer with the best detective puts ANYTHING in jail. Even a rock.

That's off topic though. There's a ton of legal headache involved with updating PC releases (as seen with SF X TKN). He's probably using this as a warning sign so as to not go down that road himself (something I presumed he did with the on-disc dlc fiasco).

DuranDuran said on January 24, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

What do they mean "PC players don't want fighting games"? There are a LOT of people just on Steam that love fighting games and want more. Tekken Tag 2 or Soul Calibur V in 1440p and 4xAA would look too good!

shinpichu said on January 24, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

If companies made PC fighters that

1)Don't use sh*tty DRM
2)Aren't several MONTHS behind console games in terms of updates.

Then we'll start buying.

aridarron said on January 24, 2013 at 7:09 p.m.

Harada is wrong, I would kill to get MvC3 on PC and I'm not alone, the real problem is consoles are becoming more user friendly and closer to what a computer can do, to REALLY enjoy games on a PC it takes more than what you need to do to hook up a console and people in general are lazy.

Most PC gamers I know buy games from steam because it's easy and reasonable, most are too lazy to even pirate games now and when you do you don't get all the content or functions from the game. If computer parts were to get drastically cheaper and simple to assemble this won't a topic worth discussing.

I'm thinking now this could mean TXSF won't be ported to PC :(

TaoTuna said on January 24, 2013 at 8:29 p.m.

i think one of the main reasons fighting games are not being sold on pc is cause of pirating. Fighting game companies' profits would drop tremendously. I don't blame them for not putting it on pc.

DRain said on January 25, 2013 at 12:33 a.m.

I agree with a lot of the people saying that it has more to do with the Japanese industry's reluctance to dip into the PC market. I find it laughable that people think that PC gamers have no interest in fighting games, because they don't play a lot of fighting games on the PC. Well, what the hell are they supposed to play, when there are hardly any fighters on the PC, and they're always released months after the console versions? Super Turbo? Guilty Gear? Melty Blood? Oh wait, they do, go figure.

If you want to go by raw numbers, then PS3 is apparently the only viable console for fighters. In Japan, XBox versions of SF4, Tekken, BlazBlue,and P4U sold like crap, and even the PS3 versions were outclassed by arcades. I'm certain that if PC versions actually existed, then it would at least get sales above that of the Xbox.

I'm also amused by the people who think you need an expensive gaming PC for these games. Get a clue: Even some of the worst modern PCs, not meant for gaming but at least have a graphics card, can probably run Street Fighter 4 at maximum resolution. And if you honestly think more people own consoles than new-gen PCs, you're just deluding yourself.

hlcws said on January 25, 2013 at 1:34 a.m.

@114: that's wrong.
Only a small percentage of people pirate games.
Even if you sell 1 million copies and 1 million pirate it ... isn't that better than selling zero?
There is piracy for BOTH PC and XBOX and look at how much Call of Duty sold despite the piracy.

And how would you pirate a game... that is meant for multiplayer?

The reason pc gamers don't like the genre is the unprofessionalism.
No patches at all or incomprehensive patchnotes, crappy GUI, bad matchmaking, no modding interface, etc.
If you are going to sell to PC, make the game for PC and use all possibilities you can get, not make some lazy ass port and then say "boohoo nobody is buying."

takanari said on January 25, 2013 at 1:55 a.m.

So, if you make fighting games on Wii U.

rosy said on January 25, 2013 at 2:42 a.m.

No doubt. Harada afraid his fighting game being modded by random citizen.

Blitz36 said on January 25, 2013 at 3:32 a.m.

I'm a PC Fighting gamer (I always have protested for a Keyboard Stick for consoles cuz I'm damn good at FGs on PCs) And I actually agree on that. Most people I know won't have a round or two with me because:
1) They don't know how to play
2) They're more skilled in consoles and arcades
3) They suck at FGs/PC games
4) They're just too scared to fight against me.(Not to brag, though.)

ywuieoisdf said on January 25, 2013 at 3:35 a.m.

Crondizzle said on January 25, 2013 at 4:32 a.m.

Offen said on January 25, 2013 at 4:44 a.m.

Namco should put the game on Steam Greenlight and see if it get voted in or not.

MaverickHunterX said on January 25, 2013 at 4:47 a.m.

I'm actually better at fighting games using the keyboard compared to stick/pad. Maybe because there are more buttons you could bind commands on. I tried using a pad and I can only do basic moves.

godfist314 said on January 25, 2013 at 4:55 a.m.

PC ports are unprofessional? Perhaps so. All I know is when I installed SFxT for the first time, started the game, saw that godlike intro and then started navigating through the gorgeous menus I was blown away! Graphically the game couldn't look any better on PC. As far as features/multiplayer goes I have no idea, I'm just impressed with the graphical presentation of SFxT on PC.

jimmyeatsquaids said on January 25, 2013 at 5:48 a.m.

players who want to play fighting games will absolutely love to see more fighting games on PC...if umvc3 was on pc, I'd buy it, as I'm a huge fan of fighting games but neither have a ps3 nor a xbox.

btw. the online lagg with SSFIV: AE on ps3 is just ridiculous, how come they release THIS on ps3? at least on PC it's playable online...on ps3 only offline is something to consider.

Burnt said on January 25, 2013 at 8:33 a.m.

Much disagreed with your "seems to be" Harada! That is, until i get a console, then, agreed.

Burnt said on January 25, 2013 at 8:40 a.m.

I plug my Hori into my PC all the time, I wish for Capcom and SNK to bring more of their titles to Steam online ...3SOE in particular.

cikame said on January 25, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

The pc version of sf4 actually seems to have better netcode, as someone who has it on both console and pc i recommend the pc version to online players.

zores said on January 25, 2013 at 2 p.m.

I've bought every street fighter on the PC so far.

FREE1UP said on January 25, 2013 at 4:05 p.m.

Thats because most PC gamers are too busy telling everybody how much greater PC's are than consoles lol.

Burnt said on January 25, 2013 at 6:06 p.m.

If you have a good set up its well known PC AE is better. But for the buck, yeah console wins out.

suprez said on January 25, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

I play SF4AE on PC and I play it on my keyboard. I also have it on the PS3 and I rather play it on my keyboard. Because I simply have more practice on it. The controller you use has no impact at all. It's all about practice. You're not better because of your controller.

It's more popular on the console because it's cultural. It's has nothing to do with tournament. How many of you travel around the USA and go to tournament ? 1 out of 10000? Also if prefer a controller you can use it on the PC. Like I said. It's just a cultural thing.

Kenshiro said on January 26, 2013 at 9:16 a.m.

Cultural thing? Even if the PC versioj of AE was updated around the same tims as the console version this hardly means it would not have to be tested for long hours of play at majors.

When the PC tests better than the PS3 in every way possible then that might be viable til then you're echoing an empty sentiment.

CrimzonWolf777 said on January 26, 2013 at 10:18 a.m.

During the day, AE2012 on PC is totally dead. While I can just power up my PS3 and BAM! lots of people are playing.

Honestly though, I think he's right in a sense. most PC gamers aren't really interested in fighting games...and I'm not including the GGPO players on this topic. It seems like majority of the PC gamers are more interested in games like Starcraft, League of Legends, or even Counterstrike.

Me personally, I rather stick to consoles for my fighting games. I only say this because I don't have to worry about spending thousands of dollars for extremely high-end specs just to actually run the game to it's full potential. And again, I'm not referring to GGPO. Because I play the hell outta 3rd Strike on GGPO. I'm talking about the current fighting games that have those beautiful graphics that would require you to have a really good graphics card to run 60 frames. So once again, I would rather stick to consoles and play without having to pay thousands of dollars just to worry about specs. That is all.

*drops mic and walks off the stage*

xRELLIKx said on January 26, 2013 at 1:15 p.m.

Hes totally right. Got AE on steam and nobody online. Ones that are bleh

Boogityboy said on January 27, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

tyc said on January 31, 2013 at 4:58 a.m.

PC gamers are actually interested in Fighting Games, the problem is that they're forced to be at least 6 months late compared to the console games for the few games that are available. This added to the fact that games like League of Legends or Starcraft 2 get much more features and contents from their developpers, why would I bother playing a 4 years old game on a 1 year old patch who starts to show his limits when I can pick up a game who receives a balance patch every 2 weeks and new characters every month coupled with an accessible gameplay and infinite amount of people to play with?

It's not that PC gamers aren't interested in Fighting Games, it's just that Fighting Games need to step up their game.

Mienaikage said on February 3, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Only reason I don't buy fighters on PC is because of how the schedule release and updates. PC versions are usually brought out after the console versions, and updates, even critical ones, are provided months after they are on console.

Try bringing out a PC version of a fighter a week before it comes out on console, and you'll probably get a load more sales on it (considering the fact that updates come out within a reasonable amount of time as well)

KemetWarlord17 said on August 13, 2013 at 3:17 a.m.

In reality, the PC community as a whole hasn't shown anything near even a mass demand for fighting games. Even Steam, the biggest PC gaming community you'll find, has almost no fighters and caters more heavily to RTS, MMO, shooter and a fistful of cross-platform, big budget games. Every gamer knows PCs are better in all ways tech and option-wise but due to the PC community as a whole craving only a small genre of games, and many getting pirated anyway, you won't see the vast genre options of console hit PC until the community shows that they all really want something new.

Kaptastr0phe said on January 27, 2014 at 9:07 p.m.

keyboards are absolute garbage? do you even know what a hitbox is? because the tons of users of those controllers disagree.

then there's the simple fact a vast majority of arcade sticks (the preferred controller of the fighting game players) are USB and do infact work on pc, so there's no additional investment for a pc controller.

lastly, the d-pad on a wobbly disc doesn't bother all of us, infact I'd be willing to personally state i'd take a dreamcast or 360 d-pad over that (this is my opinion) terrible sony dpad. i'll take a wobbly disc I can feel the roll on, over 4 directional buttons anyday.

Load more comments