Harada: It seems that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 24, 2013 at 11:06 a.m. PST
Harada: It seems that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada said on Twitter recently he feels that many PC gamers are not interested in fighting games. He added that while he's a PC gamer, and owns a ton of games on Steam, he doesn't feel that platform is a good one for the fighting game genre.

N0_25: Do you use Steam?

Harada: I'm PC gamer. Of course I [have a] Steam account and tons of games. But fighting game is not good for PC, I think.

StephenFawkes1: That's wrong, Harada.

Harada: NOT WRONG. Most important thing = It seems that many of PC Gamer is not interested in fighting game.

Capcom is one of the few companies to release their fighting games on the PC in recent memory, with both Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken being available for consumers.

Still, a small percentage of major fighting game releases for the consoles ever make their way to the PC, even to this day.

Judging from Harada's statements, it doesn't look like this trend is going away any time soon.

Comments

HooliganComboFTW said on January 24, 2013 at 11:08 a.m.

lol Harada

in b4 PC vs Console gaming nonsense

RebornOdin said on January 24, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

The platform isn't good for the genre because keyboards are absolute garbage for fighting games for anything above low level play. And with the way most controllers now-a-days include the "D-Pad on a wobbling disc", it doesn't help much. At least the PS 3 controller doesn't have that disc, it's an actual D-Pad suitable for fighting games.

That and you have to factor in the fact that hardware is different from person to person and you have to make sure the game runs flawlessly on all different types of hardware as opposed to everyone having the same machine (consoles)

People don't want to plop down extra money to buy a controller so they at least have a tiny shot of doing good at the game. It's a fallacious argument to assume that everyone that owns a PC also owns a console, and vice versa.

eyekantspele said on January 24, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.

numbers dont lie, currently theres a low population of pc fighting game players. even though people say pc gamers are becoming more interested currently the count is low.

Necreon said on January 24, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

This is nonsense. AE has one of the most dedicated and active online community on PC if we are looking at all CAPCOM games and all the "better selling" games like Transformers and so on, which are great games but multiplayer is COMPLETELY dead since relase.

So Harada open your eyes and don't make our community looking bad because "it's your unquestionable opinion".

XxAngelChunLixX said on January 24, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

"NOT WRONG!!" = FACE! XD

Schwoi said on January 24, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

I play on pc
and I play fighting games
and if there where more fighting games on pc, I would play more fighting games on pc

BLANKABEAST! do what you do best!

Tensa said on January 24, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

@2 I believe you can use a ps3 controller on PC I am not sure I don't play PC but I agree that I don't know a lot of people who would want to play a fighter on PC its either an MMO, MOBA or a shooter its fine with me since I like consoles more lol

RebornOdin said on January 24, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

You can, I use a PS 3 controller whenever I want to play SSF 4 on Steam. The problem is that you can't just plug in and play, you have to download a program that lets Windows accept the controller drivers. That's also a factor in deterring players, controllers aren't universally accepted, though that's Windows/Mac fault more than anything else.

illness690 said on January 24, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

Rising_Jaguar said on January 24, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

serious fighters need a REAL console.

lordrockman said on January 24, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

I agree Fighting games belong more in consoles than in PC you cant go to a tournament carrying around a laptop to setup a match now can ya?

Liberator said on January 24, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

...whats stopping people from buying cheap controller from nearest shop is beyond me...i never play fighting games on my keyboard! i do it by plugging in my well trusted Xbox 360 controller into one of the USB ports and play the hell of it!...:| if uncomfortable controls is the reason for low popularity of fighting games on PC, then people are just freaking dumb and ignorant!...

Liberator said on January 24, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

...lordrockman i've never seen anyone carry around their Xbox's and PS's either...-__-...

SKILL said on January 24, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

BLANKABEAST: SFxT PC FTW...";)

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 11:31 a.m.

This is nonsense.

If there were more fighting games for PC I would buy them without thinking. I'm in a urge to play TTT2 and I pre-ordered Skullgirls already.

And whoever says that keyboard is sh*t for Fighting Games is dumb. Hitbox is just an improved version of a keyboard and I play fighting games in a keyboard without a problem before I purchased my Mad Catz. Also, most pc gamers have some kind of joypad so it is no problem to play any games they can get.

AlterHowdegen said on January 24, 2013 at 11:31 a.m.

You've been to the wrong tournaments/gatherings then. We always bring our stations when possible.

Also, "NOT WRONG." is such a great comeback.

RedRapperSux said on January 24, 2013 at 11:32 a.m.

I would love every single fighting game to be on PC. My library would be HUGE. I am so sick and tired of the inferior technology that is the 360/PS3.

hazelnut1112 said on January 24, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

well, give it a chance. Hell if more developers would push fighters to PC then more people will end up favoring it instead. Plus I would say PC versions would end up being the norm in tournaments. And will be even better since it supports PS3 and 360 pads as well. Best of both worlds.

revolvingsun said on January 24, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

BestAlgorithm said on January 24, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.

This is specifically why I'm buying DmC on the PC. There is a PC market, Japan!

@Vawned Keyboards can be crap for fighting games because of ghosting. Sometimes pressing multiple buttons means some won't register. When I tried doing ex-zonk on my keyboard it would not come out

caruga said on January 24, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.

I think he's saying it with authority just provoking people to say otherwise, to test the market perhaps?

I'd say it's more a Japan thing to not consider PC a viable platform, more than a fighting-game thing, although that too. That we have Japanese fighting games on PC at all, then, is quite impressive. It's not like these companies don't want to get richer, so if they think enough people are asking for it I reckon they'll do it.

BumblebeeCody said on January 24, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.

Sure keyboards suck, but you can plug Xbox controllers in your PC, so I don't see what the problem is.

NOT WRONG!

Miniabel said on January 24, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

Dont forget we have GGPO on pc and SSFIV is really active on pc...360 controller and hori sticks work well on pc.

Put in your mind today is not like in 80's-90's every one have a pc now.
I'm a console player and pc player too and I can say pc players are not only fps or mmo players..

JesseRobles said on January 24, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

Harada had an enlightening epiphany thanks to the comments and is right now preparing a special TTT2 edition for the PC!

RebornNYC said on January 24, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

caruga said on January 24, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

@15 Keyboard is bad because 99% of keyboards can't handle multiple key-presses properly, as they're cheaper to make this way. You might have to go with a funky layout just to get certain button combinations to register. Even so-called dedicated gaming keyboards often have this problem.

illness690 said on January 24, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

markp said on January 24, 2013 at 11:43 a.m.

maybe if you release some fking games on it....

learis1 said on January 24, 2013 at 11:43 a.m.

Me like pc, me represent entire market, therefore fighting game should be put on pc!

UnTi said on January 24, 2013 at 11:45 a.m.

I have SF4, SSF4 AE and SFxT for PC and PS3, I play PS3 for online matters, but nowadays I’m using PC for training (it’s moar beautiful) and local versus (because I can play against my local friends that use XBOX controllers). I wouldn’t use only the PC version because of the quality of the online mode and the delays when it comes to patchs, but I have to admit that the PC versions of these 3 games are fair superior in everything else.

ButterKnife said on January 24, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

Wait... did Wonder Woman just slice open Green Arrow?

Aqua said on January 24, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

@2 (RebornOdin)

1. Hitbox is a keyboard variant and people complain about it for being "unfair" or too easily abusable for certain games. i play on regular keyboard layout and i won 4 AE tournaments and placed top5 at every tournament i went to.. where surprise! everybody was on pad or arcade stick (sure my country's scene is ass, but still..)

2. PC is compatible with virtually any xbox/ps3 controller known to man. you could use the ps3 controller if you prefer it.

3. that's why APIs like DirectX and OpenGL exist. hardware developers make their hardware compliant and someone who makes software doesn't have to test every graphics card/motherboard/CPU combination to make sure their game works. not to mention Xbox360 are DirectX games or that TaitoTypeX is actually a PC.. thus porting efforts can be really really small if you plan ahead.

maybe next time you'll comment on things you know about..

anyway, with Harada's attitude no wonder fighting game doesn't reach new markets.

RedRapperSux said on January 24, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

And when people are buying games at 65 dollars a pop on console, it adds up quickly. You could of had a nice PC and double the library at the end of things. But it does all come down to preference. If you like inferior technology... Let me rephrase, If you enjoy the consoles.. So be it. As I always say, To each their own. But just remember, you shouldn't ever have to deal with it.

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

@20 and @26

Sure there is this thing called Ghost in keyboards but most of them can take at least four types at the same time. And also the pro keyboards can take almost any number of keys at the same time. I have a Mad Catz but I play 3S much better on my keyboard than on a stick, even with ghosting.

The main problem here is: PC is no different than console for fighting games because ANYONE can just go and buy a joypad for $10 or so, also, you can have better graphics in the computer and Mods, Mods are great.

gluemchen said on January 24, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.

I don`t think its about fighting games here. It`s more about the traditional Japanese marketing methods and the way that Japan sees themselves as the center of the world. So if everyone over there plays games on consoles, it must be the same for the world. It`s the way they think about marketing games. It`s just stupid.

Aqua said on January 24, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.

also PC version of SSF4 AE has a lot of advantages over other platforms:
- compatible with both Xbox and PS3 controllers
- loading times are much faster, pressing Start skips the Versus screen almost entirely
- you can replace annoying stages like Volcanic Rim with something else: http://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/...
- you can replace costumes like Rose gothic dress or Blanka feathers with something less visually annoying
- you don't need a disk to play
- better graphics

trufenix said on January 24, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.

You guys think because a few people play the pc port of the most popular fighting game out, fighting games have a market? That's cute.

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

@35 They actually play more in Arcades than in consoles there, at least this is what Daigo said few months ago.

slx said on January 24, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

I find it ironic how most fighting games in the arcade are built on the pc platform and the port would be the easiest to do but there isn't any support.

I think the biggest thing that console game companies fear is actually the community that can mod it. That's a lot of lost revenue when the gamers themselves are as skilled as the game makers and artists. Look at what happened to sf4ae on pc, u can mod the characters not just on appearance but also how a character fights now.

JinZo said on January 24, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

Most people here are failing to realize that the number of PC fighting game players are a tiny fraction of the console/arcade fighting game players. Just because the PC version has more support for mods and GGPO doesn't mean anything in terms of raw numbers.

BestAlgorithm said on January 24, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

@Vawned

I agree with you 100% about keyboards technically being better. It's just that you have to get some specific keyboards... I have a gaming laptop with supposedly anti-ghosting but it still happens

antopr77 said on January 24, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

more fighting games to pc like umvc3 :D

Omp said on January 24, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

that's not a surprising statement, but still very sad... i'm a pc gamer only, since i don't own any of the new consoles, but i'm very interested in fighting games. still i'm only able to play sf4 /sfxt because nothing else is available. I'd love to get into umvc and i'm | | < that close to buying a xbox just to play that single game :/

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.

Of course the players in PC are smaller. How many Fighting Games there is in PC compared to Console? The amount of players is a direct result of the amount of games available.

TLADGhost said on January 24, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.

If developers releasing many intresting fighting games (mk9, tekkentag2, UMvsC3) on pc with full developer support(not like capcom with SFxTK) they win, their efforts will pay off, thats it. MORE INTRESTING FIGHTINGS ON PC! =)

RedRapperSux said on January 24, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

@40 Nobody failed to realize that.

RunningWild said on January 24, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 12:07 p.m.

Also. One thing that is a problem with fighting games in PC is the GFWL, that is honestly, a terrible system.

If the producers started working on Steamworks (hail Skullgirls), the players would give more love to it too.

Kenshiro said on January 24, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.

Forget about the PC.

Keep doing your thing Harada-san.

RunningWild said on January 24, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.

Joutari said on January 24, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

If Fighting games for the PC weren't as popular as what Harada thinks

Then Big Bang Beat, Melty Blood, Vanguard Princess, Umineko, The upcoming Under-Night In Birth (Assuming it does actually come out for PC as it's planned) and other doujin fighters don't have a dedicated fanbase.

Okay.

TheRealDeal51 said on January 24, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

Because of keyboard?, that is not a valid excuse, just look at the wii for example, the Wiimote is not good for fighters either, but Tatsunoko vs capcom still released on it as people could use gamepads or fightsticks, its the same in this situation.I can use my ps3 dualshock ,360 controller and my Qanba Q4 joystick on the pc no problem. I don't even need to buy a new controller if I don't want to.

As for Harada's point which was interest and demand,of course there seems to be little buzz for fighters in the PC community, there are virtually no fighting games on PC in the first place, The few games that the pc has though such as SSFIV AE and SFxT are populated, there are even many fan made projects such as GGPO whichs allows you to play fighting game ROMS online,various custom Mugen and Guilty Gear X2 Online.

Right now the developers behind skullgirls are working hard on a pc port that is set to release this month, I doubt a small indie studio would bust their ass and waste money on porting a game that would not sell at all. There was obviously enough demand to warrant the PC version.There is also divekick a fighting game for pc that was successfully kickstarted but then got removed from KS as the creators found a publisher and didn't need the donations. I could go on...

gtfopanda said on January 24, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Jesus christ Harada! Release TTT2 on Steam and you'll be swimming in bucks!

And for people even mentioning keyboards: every dedicated PC gamer owns both a keyboard and a pad. And if it's a fighting game fan he might have a stick because he's forced to buy games on consoles.

JustSTFU said on January 24, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

PC fighting gamers just want it cuz somebody will rip and so they can get it for free.

Just a bunch of cheap bastards yet brag about how much they spent on their high end pc's.

Inferior ports and no community (aside from ggpo which is free anyway since people are using illegal roms). Mods, yeah they love it so much cuz it's free (it disregard any intellectual properties of others) Like I said, bunch of cheap bastards that won't pay if they are actually forced to pay for them. Then they will start to complain how expensive it is and end up not buying.

Doesn't matter how high end your PC is, consoles still always end up having better versions cuz non of the fighting games are built with what the consoles can't handle anyway.
There's also no community besides ggpo which is only a handful of people on it anyway.

If all gamers are honest and pay for their games and the companies could actually make money, no company would turn down the opportunity to make more money.

gluemchen said on January 24, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

@54 I don`t really want to pirate a fighting game just to play against the cpu...... If you want to play online you need have a key or some sort of authentification to play. I`m pretty sure that people buy a game to play arcade mode and go against a cpu. Right!? Damn what you smoke man?

Jojounin said on January 24, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Sad to hear it from a game developer..

Also, I'm most comfortable with a keyboard.

illness690 said on January 24, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

RebornOdin said on January 24, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

Congratulations, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Psst, go ahead and try hooking up a PS 3 controller to a PC without any third party programs and tell me how that works out.

Psst, I don't know what to tell you if you think that DirectX and OpenGL is the only barriers for PC fighting games.

Psst, just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that it's not garbage. It's like saying, "Oh, I can play with a controller on a FPS, so controllers are fine for FPS' right?" Despite the fact that mouse and keyboard is unobjectively better than a controller in every way for FPS.

YOU don't know what you're talking about, kid.

Cosmo26 said on January 24, 2013 at 12:22 p.m.

Being the head of the most popular fighting game in the World, I think he knows what's right and what's wrong for the genre...arcade first and console later is the right way to make money

Tensa said on January 24, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.

the casual or average person wont care to even buy a game on PC or spend more money just so said game can run it when they have a console that can run it, they don't care about how much better it looks there is very little demand for it right now mainly the hardcore or PC nuts want it

Murdurus said on January 24, 2013 at 12:26 p.m.

The whole keyboard debate is moot. I don't know how many people actually plays a fighting game and plays on the default pad but I like to believe that they use alternative controllers than the one that comes with whichever console they bought. Just like how people buys a stick to play on XBox or PS3, playing on PC is no different.

And the reason why PC isn't as popular as console? It's simple. The games are released and patched earlier than PC. Who wants to wait a month or more waiting for the game to be released or patched when everyone else is playing it already? Look at the state SFxT on PC is right now; I don't think they even have the first patch that consoles already received, let alone the 2013 patch, and might I mention that they haven't received their DLC characters yet? Maybe if companies/publishers released the games at the same time for consoles and PC and patched them at the same time that you'll find a fair comparison.

Similarly, the reason why console versions seem to sell better is because when they get released first, all their friends (and everyone else) is already playing it. So if I had both a console and PC, it's only obvious which version I would buy because it's already established where everyone is playing unless everyone decides to buy a second (PC) one which most people don't/won't.

fgclolz said on January 24, 2013 at 12:26 p.m.

Welp, there goes my chances of being able to play a real Tekken game on PC. I have it on PS3 and 360 but couldn't practice for a month because I was out of the country. I had some downtime during my vacation where I could've just fired it up and practiced to kill some time. Now I'm back to square one with my muscle memory. :S

RunningWild said on January 24, 2013 at 12:28 p.m.

caruga said on January 24, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.

Gotta point out there's one reason the PC version of AE ain't hot, and that would make it totally unviable in tournament even if the platform were inexpensive: it doesn't detect certain controllers unless you restart the entire game.

Vawned said on January 24, 2013 at 12:31 p.m.

You are definitely one of the dumbest persons in this entire convo. Take a look at Steam Stats and check how many people are playing the games at whatever moment of the day you want. All of those are bought.

You think people pirate on PC more than on console? That is wrong, piracy exist in both. I used to pirate all my pc games until I learned about Steam. Now I have a high end PC but don't download any game I don't purchase.

Plus, games are MUCH cheaper on PC (worldwide) than on consoles, and they are much more accessible to anyone anywhere than console games.

The companies don't make fighting games for PC because they are dumb and don't want to get more money.

Jookey said on January 24, 2013 at 12:31 p.m.

"consoles still always end up having better versions cuz non of the fighting games are built with what the consoles can't handle anyway."

Ever heard of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for the PS3?

Murdurus said on January 24, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.

#64 I never once had that problem. Even if that is the case, no one is asking you to bring your PC to play in a tournament. Just because you play on PC at home doesn't mean you have to play on PC at a tournament. Unless you're implying that everyone plays on both Xbox and PS3 because the console varies depending on which tournament you go to.

Boogityboy said on January 24, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

orochi_kyo said on January 24, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

Its 2013 and there is still silly people that thinks PC Gamers play on their keyboards only? I have a logitech joystick, an Arcade Madcatz stick and my keyboard. And I can beat anyone with my keyboard on any fighting game.
CAPCOM? When some company release any patch for any fighting game for consoles first, the trend will be obviously to play that game on consoles. Capcom is well known for offering a crappy support for their pc games.
Money? Can play any new fighting game on a 400 hundred bucks pc.Anyway any fighting game on steam would be on half price in steam in six months. Console gamers have to wait 2 years.
Market? If big companies only offer fps and mmo for PC, well that obviously make that genres the most played on this plataform. Thats cause I like indie companies.
Real gamers? Sorry playing on a Xbox or a PS3 dont make you a real gamer, only the skill make you a master, and your skill is independent of the plataform you use to play.
Mods? Mods make a game life cycle longer, Namco is not interested on this, they want to release a Tekken or DBZ game every two years so console players must be buying that crap to get online matches.
Advantages for console gamers? For PS3 users a game to be on steam for PC could mean more people to play online. Who doesnt want this? 360 users I guess.
Psn or Xbox live: No thanks, I have kawaks with kaillera to play online.
Get over it Namco, you can release any game on PC but you dont want, cause you are a Sony/Micro$oft/Nintendo who...

RebornOdin said on January 24, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

For the love of god, does nobody read? Try reading the third paragraph.

General_Awesomo said on January 24, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

@ #5

I know, right?

StephenFawkes1: That's wrong, Harada.
Harada: NOT WRONG. SwiftRage
StephenFawkes1: I'm...s-s-..sorry. BibleThump

lukecage83 said on January 24, 2013 at 12:43 p.m.

To hell with PC gaming

orochi_kyo said on January 24, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

Ah Piracy. Microsoft said Xbox360 has sell more than 55 millions of units. A game like a gears of war or SSF IV just sell 2-3 millions of copies on that plataform. So what about the other 52 millions of xbox360 users? Simple most of them have a Xbox 360 with a chip to read copies. In my country the Xbox360 is the most pirated console over the PS2. Most of people here dont pirate PC games because they dont know even how to install a crack.So what is the most simple way to play pirated games? Buying a 360. Since I have my steam account I never pirated a game again. Thats was 4 years ago. PC 4ever.

RedRapperSux said on January 24, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

@64 EVEN THEN, the PC version would be back at the character select extremely fast. Come on now.

TheRealDeal51 said on January 24, 2013 at 1:03 p.m.

@#54 I own 300 games on steam and about 50 non-steam games like Guild Wars 2, problem? If everyone on PC was such a cheap bastard and pirated all games companies like valve and blizzard would not be making billions while Sony loses billions, I am not hating but this is just the truth.I own all platforms and probably have spent more money on gaming than you so I honestly don't see where your mass generalizations are coming from. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Also at @#58, you are seriously complaining about drivers that take a minute to download and setup? if something that small bothers you, then I don't know how you game on PC in general without tearing your hair out. Even if you don't want to use a ps3 controller there are still tons of other official options that are plug and play such as the Microsoft 360 pad for windows, Logitech F710 etc.

@#53 I actually disagree it would not sell on pc. Fighting games can work for PC,but maybe not tekken, tekkens fanbase is dieing in general it doesn't even sell on consoles, is struggling to reach a million and its on 3 platforms.Don't get me wrong a million is great but not so great when Street Fighter games release a lot more frequently and still manage to sell 2 to 5 million each. A small pc gamer community crossed with a small tekken community would not be profitable especially considering Namco would need to spend alot of time making the port as they don't have a lot pc experience unlike capcom and other companies.

Aqua said on January 24, 2013 at 1:04 p.m.

@58 (RebornOdin)

my PS3 Hori stick works flawlessly (plug & play).
my friends Xbox360 MadCatz TE or 360 pad work as well (plug & play).

you picked the worst example (PS3 gamepad) to make a point.. and even that works very well wired with the right drivers.

i never had to use third party programs, even on GGPO. the hell are you smoking?

Graymalkin said on January 24, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

I'd rather never play a fighting game again than have to play one using Windows...

jimsauce said on January 24, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

1. I want to buy fighting games for PC
2. Companies don't make fighting games for PC (small exceptions)
3. I can't buy what isn't made.
4. Companies conclude that PC gamers don't buy fighting games.

Exand said on January 24, 2013 at 1:19 p.m.

Can't grow the fighting game community on PC without fighting games to play.

RagingGhost said on January 24, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

Harada: ''But fighting game is not good for PC, I think.''

You don't say?

caruga said on January 24, 2013 at 1:52 p.m.

@g67 I'm not implying anything. Noone in their right mind would consider PC a solid platform for tournament play. I was just pointing out that it would be an issue if they did.

Definition said on January 24, 2013 at 1:53 p.m.

Problem with PC is macros.

Bosco said on January 24, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.

If my TE stick worked on my PC I would 100% play SF4 and SFxT on PC because the wireless adapters on the PS3 are garbage and I can't use a wired connection. My PC doesn't have issues with wireless and the hardware is plenty good to play the games. They should badger Mad Catz into making a PC driver for the PS3 sticks.

chipndip said on January 24, 2013 at 2:05 p.m.

Before posting, read 54's comment and realize it won this thread.

Anything that's on the pc is an easy target for being pirated and distributed for free. Hell, I emulated a good 3 or so retro fighters myself + some old SNES platformers. You can play these games on your computer, sure, but how many people are willing to shell out the money for it when there's a cheaper (like, sixty bucks cheaper) method right there? It'd fk up everything. From a business stand point, it's a dumb idea. As far as community goes, they ain't missing much anyway. It's not like they'll get outsold by DoA or something.

Raven said on January 24, 2013 at 2:06 p.m.

I'd say fighting games are more challenging on the PC market. With the variety of PC software and hardware, the game has to run well across most machines. Lag in a fighter is serious and more detrimental than lag in a FPS. People who have good gaming PCs play hardcore games already, but probably don't have the time to invest in fighters. Some people buy a console just to play fighters.

Cosmo26 said on January 24, 2013 at 2:24 p.m.

@#75 Actually TTT2 sold more than 1M copies in 20 days (After dominating the arcade scene for a whole year), a lot more than SFIV and MK9 did in 1 month...Tekken is far far far away from dying

Eternal said on January 24, 2013 at 2:40 p.m.

Here is the thing

1. GGPO started on the PC and is still regularly used
2. SF4 is often in the top 100 played games on steam and top 5 played games on GFWL
3. You can't claim something is bad without trying. Namco has NEVER released a PC port of Tekken.

Also, there was a time that people considered "FPS games are bad for consoles" how many games besides Goldeneye and Perfect Dark can you think of that were successful on consoles before Halo 1 came out? Now FPS titles are one of the top selling genres on consoles.

riku45 said on January 24, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.

I was play vanilla sf4 to death on pc. When they announced Super and said it was not coming to PC I brought an xbox. If it came out on PC together with the console release I probably would have stuck to the PC and not bothered with buying an xbox.

Murdurus said on January 24, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

#84: Those who pirate it probably wouldn't be playing it for the long term and more than likely knows nothing about or cares about the FGC. It's pretty much impossible for them to play online with it and just because pirating on PC is an easy argument against it, Xbox and PS3 versions gets pirated as well, you just don't hear about it as often because people don't associate consoles with pirating.

To say that anyone would rather steal than buy and support a company legitimately is a fallacy. That just implies that you, yourself, would do that if given the choice. Don't go making generalizations about PC gamers.

dachsun said on January 24, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

Schwoi said on January 24, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

@88 EXACTLY the same here! XDXD

Boogityboy said on January 24, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.

leahcim_1v1s said on January 24, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

If there were fighting games available on PC, I would definitely play them on PC. It may be dying according to Harada, but I don't think the PC was given much of a chance for fighting games.

Gam3B0y said on January 24, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.

you can use any controller or Stick on PC :/ I'm using my PS3/Xbox 360 Sticks for AE (and I prefer to play AE on pc )

Ex3cut3r said on January 24, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Oh man, Tekken Tag 2 on PC, would be sooo dope, imagine 1080p + 4xAA + 16xAF, omg that would too sweet ^^

But unfortunately it's just a dream. :D

GordonsBeard said on January 24, 2013 at 3:40 p.m.

Japanese game dev doesn't like PC, news at 11.

mrpowerhouse said on January 24, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.

the reason why there are few PC players playing fighting games is for the simple fact that they're not releasing their fighting games for the PC in the first place.

TheCreator said on January 24, 2013 at 4:12 p.m.

@95 Yes, godlike right?

@97 Not really.... PC is meant for FPS/MMO's imho.

Graphf said on January 24, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

Murdurus said on January 24, 2013 at 4:28 p.m.

#98: Right, and if that was the case, then Call of Duty or any other FPS games wouldn't have been ported over to consoles. But look at FPS games for consoles and tell me that they're not doing well even though it's obvious that keyboard+mouse are superior controls than a pad.

Load more comments