First screens of the new Super Smash Brothers game to be shown at this year's E3, being developed for both Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 23, 2013 at 10:55 a.m. PST
At the Nintendo Direct Conference earlier today, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced that the first screen shots of the new Namco Bandai developed Super Smash Brothers game will be revealed at this year's E3 event. He stated that the development of the game is currently on track and will be released for both the Wii U and 3DS.

E3 2013 will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11 - 13, 2013.

You can check out a quick video from IGN which talks a bit on the matter.

Tips by Scourge739 and an anonymous user.

Comments

NyuBomber said on January 23, 2013 at 10:58 a.m.

Aaah, can't wait!

LeonX said on January 23, 2013 at 10:59 a.m.

Where!? Where!?

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 23, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

I still won't get a win I will just play it at a friends house when it come out.

Abbadon36 said on January 23, 2013 at 11:08 a.m.

Slow news day huh people?

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 23, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.

Wii U*

EndlessWitch said on January 23, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.

Misread that and thought they would be announcing it at EVO, that would have been funny.

Kalyx_triaD said on January 23, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

For Nintendo fans I'd say it was an epic news day. This particular news is related to a 'fighting game' so why not post it here.

DJScrubble said on January 23, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

Can't wait to see it.

Jookey said on January 23, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

I want this.

blinkme18278 said on January 23, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

This smash title is irrelevant. If you are a competitive smash player it's all about Project M...no one is going to want to play smash on a wiiU controller...

gaffel123 said on January 23, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

^ of course its gonna be compatible with standard controllers just like brawl is.. anyways it about time they announced something for the Wii U, it was looking pretty bad

BlazingIce said on January 23, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! *Mordecai & Rigby voice*

HyperCombinationFinish said on January 23, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

"Mary O"

hazelnut1112 said on January 23, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Damn, E3 can't come soon enough. This is the only reason that will make me want to purchase a damn Wii U just for Smash Bros.
You better deliver Sakurai.

Scourge739 said on January 23, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Heyyyy my name made it on front headlines.
can I hang out with the cool kids now? :D

revolvingsun said on January 23, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

AdaWongLover5 said on January 23, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

That guy was so delightfully British!

roknin said on January 23, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

The density in here is immense.

@revolvingsun - "Why do I get the impression that everyone who plays smash bros is about 12 and has probably finished all the pokemon games too"

Not sure where you get that impression from. Whatever you may believe of its viability as a competitive game, Smash is just fun as hell, period.

Also hey screeeeeeeeeew you guy, the Pokemon RPGs are some of the most entertaining games out there. :-p Ya'damn skippy I finished them all (well, technically still working on White 2).

NM_Flamez said on January 23, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

Mario Kart will play exactly the same as it does now. Yamn.

hazelnut1112 said on January 23, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

I guess someone doesn't know what fun is. I really feel sorry for you. There is a thing where people play games you know, for fun. Something that people enjoy, instead of trying to focus on certain things of a game they play for the hell of it by yourself or with friends. You should try it sometime.
I can't explain anymore, but yeah. FUN!!!

RunningWild said on January 23, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

V3N0MB1T3 said on January 23, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

@16 because you're notorious on EH for being a troll and saying things that rustle jimmies and piss people off? ;P

JesseRobles said on January 23, 2013 at 1:22 p.m.

My body is not ready. *bites lower lip*

Nukka said on January 23, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.

I watched the Nintendo direct, and Iwata said we'll see the 'first screening' of the new smash at E3.

Take that how you will, but I really hope it's more than just a screenshot/screenshots...

EnsignHiro said on January 23, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.

Cannot wait!

SilentBob said on January 23, 2013 at 1:29 p.m.

Smash has always been a 4 player game. WiiU supports only 2 of those tablet gamepads. So obviously Smash will use the standard controllers.

GH0ST said on January 23, 2013 at 1:38 p.m.

Just take it back to the melee days of old (wave dashing and L canceling) and the smash community will be happy not that brawl trash but we'll see.....

darkblade13 said on January 23, 2013 at 1:41 p.m.

I enjoy every single Mario Kart games that is out. Can't wait for the new one!

chipndip said on January 23, 2013 at 1:57 p.m.

I love how Melee dudes are continually crying for a "Melee 2". Get over it. You guys realize how much Nintendo gets hammered for doing "the same old thing"? I'm glad they made Brawl. It's still fun as hell. Why not look forward instead of crying for Melee mechanics?

kirbykirbykirby said on January 23, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.

Smash bros will be insane. I can't wait.

okay said on January 23, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.

64 was great.
Melee was great.
Brawl was terrible.

No_Surrender said on January 23, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.

Definitely can't wait. Haven't played Smash since Melee which seems like forever ago.

Torrie_De_Goddess said on January 23, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

I was actually not expecting news of just news; bummer. That guy looks amazing though; very handsome.

JesseRobles said on January 23, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

lol I didn't click on the video the first time. That guy is super gorgeous. <3

doctorzoidberg said on January 23, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

hope snake is still in and hope that link goes up a bunch of tiers.

Trujills said on January 23, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

Cant wait for this game. And why would anyone want a melee 2.0?...im not saying it should play like brawl, but having it be exactly like melee is no better.

it needs to move forward. Take everything thats worked from the previous games and eliminate what didnt.

hopefully namco is able to have some serious influence on the balance of the game. I dont need an ultra competitive game, but it would be nice if it was somewhat competitive

Gpop said on January 23, 2013 at 6:41 p.m.

I dunno...this video they made says differently about being revealed at E3:

He said to "wait a little longer", as in, looks like there won't be Smash Bros at E3 :(

I'm just waiting to see what they do to it. For now, I can only say Smash isi a platforming Party game, but maybe with the new developers they'll actually try to make it more focused on actual competitive fighting game, then I'll take it seriously.

Squallixer said on January 23, 2013 at 11:01 p.m.

You would think that someone who works for a gaming news network would at the very least bother to learn how to pronounce the name of one of the heads of the largest gaming company in the world. I mean really that's just embarrassing.

At any rate, yes this is good news! I am going to pick up a WiiU for the release of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, so with the announcement of a new SmashBros. game, plus Pikmin 3, Bayonneta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and eventually a new Zelda, the WiiU is looking to be a worthwhile purchase after all.

People complain about console specs and how the PS4 and Xbox720 (or whatever they decide to call it) will blow the WiiU out the water, and they probably will. But no matter how much better the next gen consoles are, they still wont be able to keep up with current high end PC's, so really who cares. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, because Nintendo always makes good games. Period. And to be honest I have never really cared much for any of the Sony or Microsoft exclusives, with the exception of the Metal Gear Solid series, witch with the death of Silicon Knights (they made the Metal Gear Solid 1 remake, Twin Snakes, for the Gamecube) we just might see an HD collection for the WiiU.

I think it is safe to say that the glory days of hardcore Nintendo and third party Nintendo titles have returned, and seeing Nintendo IP in HD1080p for the first time is really a magical experience.Now if Nintendo would just buy back RARE from Microsoft, then we would be set.

GH0ST said on January 24, 2013 at 1:12 a.m.

Hmm maybe this will convince me to get a WiiU but probably not, we'll see Nintendo

Bluefang14 said on January 24, 2013 at 1:51 a.m.

... Who announces a game at a big investor convention solely with screenshots?

I can count the number of times Nintendo's marketing strategies haven't been bonkers on just one hand.

Trujills said on January 24, 2013 at 1:53 a.m.

@Gpop

i think he just meant that we would have to wait longer for it to be shown off the way Mario Kart, and the 3d mario game will be at E3. He mentioned something about either screenshots or a screening. Meaning it will be there, just wont there in a playable form.

Smash bros is a fighting game. The whole idea of the game is for them to fight each other. Therefore its a fighting game. Call it a platform fighting or whatever if you like, but just cause it has elements borrowed from platformers doesnt make it not a fighting game. Hell, you could call it a party fighting game even.

as for something more competitive. I think we're all hoping for that. but at the end of the day, if the game isnt serious about competitiveness, it will at the very least be serious about trying to provide a fun experience. So either way, should be taken seriously by gamers in some way shape or form

iouetoisdfo said on January 24, 2013 at 4:12 a.m.

BumblebeeCody said on January 24, 2013 at 4:58 a.m.

Do want!

Gpop said on January 24, 2013 at 5:15 a.m.

Well calling this a fighting game because there's fighting is kinda like calling Legend of Zelda a puzzle game because it has puzzles in it. But people still accept it as an action/adventure game in the end.

But that's just my opinion, I respect yours as long as you respect mine. It's way too debatable for it to be concrete what it really is, but in the end, everyone can agree it's at least a platformer :V

XxAngelChunLixX said on January 24, 2013 at 10:47 a.m.

That guy is really cute. ♥

I wonder who will be in it this time though, as long as I can use Peach I'm fine. Maybe Daisy & Rosalina as their own characters? Roy's return?, another F-Zero character? (Like that fat guy), Krystal from Star Fox?, *Gasp* Toad?!?! ^__^"

jadeguy said on January 26, 2013 at 6:27 a.m.

Well if it is true that SHOULD take out third party characters, and stick with only Nintendo characters i just want strictly Nintendo characters, so no more sonic and snake and no future rep. third party character. This game deserves only Nintendo and Nintendo only.