Reveal trailers for Kat and Emmett - free DLC characters for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 17, 2013 at 10:50 a.m. PST
Reveal trailers for Kat and Emmett, two free DLC characters, for a short time, for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale were released today. Also, a new level titled Fearless, which is a mash up between Heavenly Sword and Wipeout, will be available to buy in February.

The new DLC characters for PSASBR will be available on February 12, 2013 and free to download for two whole weeks, so make sure you hop on and grab them straight away.

Kat is an up-close melee fighter who uses her ability to manipulate gravity to turn the tide in battle, while Emmett Graves brings the "Build & Battle" style from Starhawk, calling down different structures to help him out. Hit the jump to see the other video.

The team teased that more info is on the way for the game in March, so stay tuned.

Via the PlayStation Blog and SuperBot's Clockw0rk.

Submitted by Jtir123, Shinkuu Kikoken, Derede and Mexican_Guy.

Comments

Hadouken_Os said on January 17, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

Dat Kat. Dem Friskies.

jtir123 said on January 17, 2013 at 10:59 a.m.

Hah! Stay tuned.

AdaWongLover5 said on January 17, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

Emmett looks groovy! Can't wait.

Pr1nZo said on January 17, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

Free dlc? Good for you playstation. Way to actually support your community. Almost makes me wish i had a ps3. Almost.

cadnexus said on January 17, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

Both of these looks excellent, dat Emmett level 3... easy money

revolvingsun said on January 17, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

RunningWild said on January 17, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

Tensa said on January 17, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.

I am gonna get rid of this game soon but before I do I wanna play with Kat :)

Hypermarth said on January 17, 2013 at 11:29 a.m.

Feb 12th.... sooooo farrr awwwaaayyyyy

learis1 said on January 17, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Sweet, I can't wait for them to release Jon Doe, Walter Sobchak, Henry Smith, and all the other PS characters that I've never heard of.

Guybrush20X6 said on January 17, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.

Awesome stuff.

Now I'm wondering about what else they've got in the wings.

maxs2d2ace said on January 17, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

totally called it.
phase one: announce news for them
phase two: advertise them at a special event
phase three: release them next to a special holiday.

anyway cant wait for emmet. he reminds me of another western black cowboy that just came out with a movie. DJango

ithachi1 said on January 17, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.

Ok Kat and Emmett are officially my second and third character especially Emmett is sound like he says "Get Money" LEGIT

caramell_dragon said on January 17, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Kat is going to become my 2nd character, behind Cole. Can't wait!

Emmett looks cool but I am not excited to play against him :/

xShonuffx said on January 17, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

umm Who is Kat?

Im sorry if im a noob so don't flame me but I don't recognize her and everyone is going nuts about her.

mrambitious said on January 17, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

Why get rid of it? This game has probably provided me the most fun online since League of Legends and Unreal Tournament.

Not trying to say anything about you, but just something I noticed is after you get ranked above a purple belt you WILL have a ton more legitimate fights. No spam, no stupidity, even Dante/Kratos/Raiden who will STOP mashing square if they see another player coming in for the double kill. I am having a great time since reaching black belt, like literally even when its Drake (me) v kratos v kratos v kratos I manage to still enjoy myself.

The lowly noobs who think PSAS is just a new smash is what is driving good players away, but I'm also doubting how good these players are compared to what they claim since anyone who has trouble with a spam Kratos clearly has no skill.

mrambitious said on January 17, 2013 at 12:19 p.m.

Kat is becoming my #2 for sure.

Emmett looks insane but I still want my ranged character to be Jak or Radek.

jtir123 said on January 17, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

@15 She's from Gravity Rush, simply put, a game in which Kat can control gravity allowing her to traverse vertical surfaces, move around in the air, and lift objects.

TheDeadTexan said on January 17, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

She's from a game called Gravity Rush that came out on the Vita last year. It was a really great game.

Kat looks awesome. I love that they kept her over the top yelling. That level 3 is freaking me out, though.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 17, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

I'm Fine with a great character like Kat in this game

Ozyroth said on January 17, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

Kat looks great and Emment made me want to purchase starhawk (I only played the beta).

Can't wait! Annyone want to play PSABR? I can't find anyone online on ranked :c

DivinePhoenix69 said on January 17, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

Not gonna lie, seeing Kat gameplay makes me want to pick up this game. Her fighting style reminds me of How Lenalee from D Gray Man plays in Jump Ultimate Stars( kudos to anyone that has played that game!)

Emmet looks kinda fun as well.

Ex_Ein said on January 17, 2013 at 1:11 p.m.

emmet could be considered the New dante of the first party line up as he's from a psudeo-sequel/spiritual succesor to Warhawk which was a reboot of a classic PS1 game.
Gab Logan make it happen Sony

tktktk43 said on January 17, 2013 at 1:12 p.m.

emmett looks weak. we dont know his specials yet and how much ap he can generate but his supers look bad. Slow looking lvl 1 and 2. lvl 3 seems to be a bit better than sweetooth's lvl 3 but seems escapable. Kat Looks good though. her combos can be air-bourne making her pretty safe in ffa.

Boogityboy said on January 17, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

Boogityboy said on January 17, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

Crazcar said on January 17, 2013 at 2:04 p.m.

Does Kat speak at all in Gravity Rush? The only time she 'said' something in the trailer was at the end of her Lv2 and it wasn't English.
Grunting aside the trailers look nice, don't have the game but I hope I can download them anyways for when I pick this up in the future.

JiCi said on January 17, 2013 at 2:16 p.m.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MON-oh wait... it's free :)

Ratchet: "This could be bad..."
*gets nuked by Emmett* - Priceless XD

However, does Kat talk in English? because it's gonna get jarring after a while. BTW, no, I don't have Gravity Rush or a Vita, but played the demo at a local game store, and that didn't tell me much.

Ex_Ein said on January 17, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.

level is also free @boogity
also it takes a while, plus you have to figure out 12 moves for his attacks and 3 supers which Oddworld inhabitants has to Okay all of that
Not to mention make an HD Abe model (there is no game for this generation with Abe) and you have to rig him to move and act like abe. hire a voice actor and writer for his dialogue and again Oddworld inhabiants have to okay that and also okay you patching him.

Ex_Ein said on January 17, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

Kat has no english VA

courte said on January 17, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

abe would be a hard put, and personally i'd rather the stranger. its not so hard to make a movelist though. i mean lets take a standard character from smash

regular neutral bnb
three variable tilts
three variable smashes
five air basic attacks
four special attacks, mostly largely the same in the air

dash attacks
wakeup attacks

i love this game but i'm not going to lie and say it's as nuanced as melee. lotta detail went into that. a lot of detail went into this as well just in different places.

for example you don't see samus causing explosions at point blank range [those missiles are a precious resource] but she does it in her air, tilt and smash attacks, mean while the the tackle, which is tied to her shine spark one of her most devastating techniques, isn't made a straight up B SPECIAL MOVE, just a dash attack as a nod saying 'yeah we know, and here it is. she's a morph ball when she rolls'

link would be at a crazy disadvantage is he did that jumping overhead slash all the damn time, nice as it is.

DangerousBacon said on January 17, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

@ #31

Dafuk did I just read?

Ex_Ein said on January 17, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

I don't know Dangerous let's just bacck away

icejohn said on January 17, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Hey around my birthday,sweet!
Great day.

xShonuffx said on January 17, 2013 at 4:25 p.m.

Gravity Rush, awesome. Gotta check that out. When I first seen her I thought she was some kind of Witch or something. I'll be getting a PS3 soon so i'll definantly try to get my hands on it and play it.

jadeguy said on January 17, 2013 at 4:25 p.m.

Yay! a Black Character

yoshisixtyfour said on January 17, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Yo Kat is the sole reason why ima get this game.

RW said on January 17, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

If i had a PS3 i would be all over this game, and Kat looks like a really cool character actually.

Clockw0rk said on January 17, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

Woah, sick trailers!

Crazcar said on January 17, 2013 at 5:36 p.m.

^ Kappa

Boogityboy said on January 17, 2013 at 6:07 p.m.

DangerousBacon said on January 17, 2013 at 6:57 p.m.

@ Boogity
It is free for the first two weeks. If you don't pick it up in that time period, then you have to pay. It's simple.

Boogityboy said on January 17, 2013 at 7:02 p.m.

jtir123 said on January 17, 2013 at 7:07 p.m.

The stage isn't free. But you don't have to buy it to play on it online. Basically, buying the stage means you'll be able to select it online and offline.

The_Barry_Gibb_Talk_Show said on January 17, 2013 at 9:45 p.m.

PASBR is seriously the best new fighting franchise in the last decade. Is anyone else as bummed out as me that it didnt't make it into EVO? And I'm also very curious to see a public response from Seth Killian and all the other Superbot staff on this upsetting news.

jelaninoel said on January 17, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Wow emmet looks so bad. No imagination was put into ne of his moves.. Kat though, cant wait

DarkPhoenixRises said on January 17, 2013 at 10:08 p.m.

@22 Lenalee!!!!!!! Where can I throw my money?

randomkingdom said on January 18, 2013 at 4:15 a.m.

imma pick both characters they both seem super duper fun aha LoL 8D

NM_Flamez said on January 18, 2013 at 5:14 a.m.

I have no idea who these guys are.....

TaurusMAGNUS said on January 19, 2013 at 11:22 p.m.

For those who have no idea where these characters are from, continue reading.

Emmett = Starhawk(PS3)

Kat = Gravity Rush(PS Vita)

letaelba788 said on January 23, 2013 at 10:57 a.m.