Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 17, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. PST
Boon: Injustice's story mode will be more epic than Mortal Kombat 9's, can play as both heroes and villains NetherRealm Studios' Ed Boon mentioned that Injustice: Gods Among Us' story mode will be even more epic than the story mode in Mortal Kombat 9, and fans can play as the heroes or villains this time around.

He also briefly chimed in on Doomsday appearing on the new Injustice Battle Edition joystick. Check out his responses below.

HipFreddy: I'm SO excited to play the story mode but I can't wait to start executing sick combos in versus!

Boon: Yea, story will be EPIC!

Mountain_duwe: Will the story be more epic than MK9?

Boon: Absolutely.

Swayjtm: Is there anything thing at all that you can reveal about the story mode?

Boon: Big, EPIC, fun, well written, answers a lot!

ProtagonistZero: Does it answer how someone like Catwoman can be punched into space and survive?

Boon: Yes, it does!

LobsterMonster: Will you get to play as both the heroes and the villains this time around?

Boon: Yes, sir.

MaximeGosselin3: Doomsday appears on the arcade stick! Any comments?

Boon: What? Where? WTF?

Source: Ed Boon's Twitter.

Comments

jtir123 said on January 17, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.

I can't wait to see more gameplay. C'mon Boon, that's important!

Deyrax said on January 17, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.

Injustice: Trolls among us.

Ninjagoon said on January 17, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

Boon: "What? Where? WTF?"

lol

Catalyst said on January 17, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.

@Ninjagoon

I laughed about that too, Boon rules.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 17, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

LOL, at least the Neatherealm crew knows how to keep the hype in there game for release . Got a good laugh from Boon

JiCi said on January 17, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

I don't just want as play as heroes and villains in Story Mode, I want as EVERYONE in Story Mode. Seriously, one thing I hated about MK9's Story is that I only get to play with half the roster. Sektor, Sheeva, Sindel, Ermac, Shang Tsung, Kano, Quan Chi, Reptile, Baraka, Noob Saibot and Mileena were not playable in Story Mode, and to me, Story Mode is a good way to learn the basics of the character.

I beg of you Ed, give me a chapter for EVERY character in the game in Story Mode.

illness690 said on January 17, 2013 at 12:43 p.m.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 17, 2013 at 12:43 p.m.

Well they promised "More epic" for the story so who knows? The fact that we can play Hero or Villains already guarantees more depth then Mk9

JiCi said on January 17, 2013 at 12:50 p.m.

@8 "More epic" is rather vague, but understandable since he doesn't want to reveal anything, but yeah, that could be it.

Let's say we have a roster made at 50% of heroes and 50% of villains. If so, then I hope that there'll be 2 Story Mode chapters (one for each side), much like we had for MK vs DCU.

While training mode, online, arcade and challenges prompt you to try new characters, Story Mode does it best. That's now I learned [half of] the characters in MK9, because I had no choice to do so in order to progress. I picked Kitana and Jade after that, but I didn't feel the urge to try Quan Chi, Reptile or Ermac after I cleared Story Mode. If I would have used them in Story Mode, maybe that would have swayed me.

illness690 said on January 17, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

JiCi said on January 17, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

@10 BlazBlue does it like that, it's just that they don't follow a linear structure. But again, between selecting your chapter or playing them one at a time "in one sitting", there are not many differences, as you still need to play them all to clear the Story Mode.

If I get your point right, you didn't like switching characters in MK9 because you didn't know which one it would be next, am I correct?

BlankaBeast said on January 17, 2013 at 1:02 p.m.

lol even MORE epic than EPIC?!!?

I want THE MOST EPIC or THE EPICEST STORY EVER!

gammabolt17 said on January 17, 2013 at 1:06 p.m.

Well it's not like he was gonna say the story was worse...

And that's how they SHOULD do it. Nobody wants to be stuck for 45 minutes on one section of a story because you get stuck with someone you don't know how to use. Especially as retarded as the AI is in NRS games. Or any MK for that matter. It's hard enough to win when you know what you're doin. I have to play the computer cheap as hell to win in MK9. That's not fun.

J said on January 17, 2013 at 1:08 p.m.

Still waiting for this game to get a tag so I can add it to my news filter.

gammabolt17 said on January 17, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

^ Scroll right past the sh!t don't read it, don't click on it, stop cryin like a b!tch. There ya go.

ScrubStep said on January 17, 2013 at 1:22 p.m.

I wish people with twitterz would ask if there are any other single player modes ala trials/challenge tower etc

Cinderkin said on January 17, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

Loves to cry about it, but still spends the time to open the page and comment.

OT:

I really enjoyed the MK 9 story mode, but I had my gripes and I think others may agree.

1. Forcing me to use characters I had no idea WTF I was doing with them against 2 Shotokans (Goro, Kintaro fight). Or other BS AI fights.

2. No ability to replay sections of the story mode after completing it once. I would have played story mode again if I could skip certain chapters I didn't want to replay or go back and play the MK 1 saga. Being stuck in MK 2 or 3 when all I want to do is go back to the beginning is a nightmare.

3. Majority of the cut-scenes couldn't be skipped so making a second play-through that more annoying.

4. Only getting to play as half of the cast, which in all honesty wasn't that bad, but it would have been nice to see fleshed out stories for characters like Noob, Sindel etc.

All in all I'm excited for this game, but I am skeptical about the story mode. When I asked boon about CH select he never replied. He only says stuff like it's going to be epic.

revolvingsun said on January 17, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 17, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

And in the end the hatwr are going to buy the game ire play it lol

illness690 said on January 17, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 17, 2013 at 1:57 p.m.

hater*
and*

EvilRick said on January 17, 2013 at 2:21 p.m.

Good to hear, in Mortal Kombat I was a bit upset you could only play as the good guys on story mode.

BestAlgorithm said on January 17, 2013 at 2:23 p.m.

Agreed with everyone here. It'd be nice if they could make the AI better.

Fighting games should have AI control meters like in EA sports games. Then choose to make them poke heavy, aggressive, whatever and then let you practice against that

Snake_Eyes said on January 17, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

the AI in MK9 was not OP...only at certain parts where its meant to be OP like the last mission of the challenge tower or the secret fights

gammabolt17 said on January 17, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

I have never played an MK game where the AI WASN'T either OP or just out right retarded. MK 2 is probably the worst offender of this, but I have never, and the bolt means NEVER, played an MK game where the computer wasn't ridiculous in some way, shape, or form.

Snake_Eyes said on January 17, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

@25 I agree in regards to the classic MK games, but the AI was not hard at all in the 3d era games, and in MK9 I found it was perfectly manageable except at a couple parts. In MK1-3 there were times where I couldnt even land a single hit the AI was so OP haha but its not as bad in the new games, not by a longshot

Fightingfan69 said on January 17, 2013 at 3:18 p.m.

Just need more gameplay. Sure we get tidbits of info but most want to see gameplay. Gameplay. Gameplay please.

Otter_of_Death said on January 17, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

The AI in classic MK games were the worst, but not so much because they could read your inputs (and they could), but mostly because they were able to abuse the throw mechanic. The distances at which the AI could throw you was just retarded.

On the other hand, I didn't think MK9's AI was bad at all. The only reason End Game was difficult was because of the block disable against Mileena. If you lost your block function, it's just the luck of the draw from there.

icejohn said on January 17, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

The best tweet that put a smile on my face.
:D

Jaku86 said on January 17, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.

that would be an amazing idea. I mean you could just set the training dummy on a repeated recording and do it that way, but its not as effective. If you go into training and set the idea to play a specific way like you said, it would be a huge in terms of leveling up faster in a game.

gammabolt17 said on January 17, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

What put a smile on my face is that argument under Boon's post.

illness690 said on January 17, 2013 at 4 p.m.

trufenix said on January 17, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

@20, that's what arcade mode was for. Had its own endings and everything.

drunkendan said on January 17, 2013 at 11:20 p.m.

He is surprised by Doomsday because some how a none batman character some how made it

drunkendan said on January 17, 2013 at 11:21 p.m.

also I hope for LESS females in this game. Because Nether makes all the female faces look like men

disp said on January 18, 2013 at 6:05 a.m.

Great journalism, all he asks are yes/no questions.

disp said on January 18, 2013 at 6:25 a.m.

I misread, sorry, I thought it was an interview, no random Twitter questions.

Doktor42 said on January 20, 2013 at 10:20 a.m.

Oh, you mean like how Mortal Kombat vs DC was supposed to be epic?

Also, Mortal Kombat's story wasn't "epic" or even that good. It was fairly meh, mostly brought down by the idoitic decision near the end to *SPOLIER FOR AN OLD GAME* killed off 80% of the cast for no reason than to "raise the stakes" artificially *SPOLIER OVER* (Honestly if you haven't played it yet, you probably won't anyway.

So, I won't hold my breath, this one will probably suck too, but hey, who cares, people don't play fighting games for the stirring narrative. (Shut up ArkSys fans)

letaelba788 said on January 23, 2013 at 10:57 a.m.