Posted by SFilp • January 16, 2013 at 1:20 p.m. PST
Justin Wong: If I played Akuma or Cammy, I don’t think I’d play them to their potential, because I find them extremely boring to play Evil Geniuses' Justin Wong recently sat down with CoolGrayAJ to reflect back on 2012 and discuss some of his plans for 2013.

They discuss a lot of different subjects from counter picking, Dieminion, America vs. the world and more.

Justin also goes into details on why he hasn't picked up characters like Cammy or Akuma in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012.

CoolGrayAJ: You’ve said before that you just want to win now, and you’ve expressed your interest in playing top tier. Can you elaborate on this more, because we haven’t really seen this either in SF or in Marvel.

JWong: I’ve always felt that if you play the best characters in the game, and have an invested interest in those characters, then you can bring the full potential out in those characters. If I played Akuma or Cammy, I don’t think I’d play them to their potential, because I find them extremely boring to play. Even though they have crazy mixups, and great matchups versus certain characters, I just don’t connect with them. It’s the same thing with Marvel. I’m no stranger to lame play, but I just connect with a character like Morrigan.

Read the full interview over on Evil Geniuses' website.

Thumbnail via Karaface.

Comments

manoelmfs1 said on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

More Akuma and Cammy ¬¬

BrokenPad said on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.

But dive kick till it works is a mountain of fun.

Jethuty said on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

Thats a typo, right? He meant to say "but i just dont connect to a chracter like morrigan", otherwise that sentence doesnt make sense

Meety said on January 16, 2013 at 1:27 p.m.

Tiers aren't everything, but I do always find the less used characters to be fun to watch from highly experienced players.

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

BumblebeeCody said on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

I think Akuma is fun because how many options he has. A very flexible character and very rewarding to play. Cammy is boring as hell though. She's about a fun unboxing a pair of scissors that's been shrink wrapped.

@illness690 #5
Isn't this the same Justin Wong that played Rufus and is said he's "now picking Adon" based on tiers?

ineedbackup said on January 16, 2013 at 1:31 p.m.

I play those characters as well sometimes (akuma/cammy) but always get bored and go back to yun. Their mix ups are boring, safe, and lame.

Undead_Hayabusa said on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 p.m.

Dudley!!

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 1:37 p.m.

DevilMaySpy said on January 16, 2013 at 1:39 p.m.

Justin's Cammy was so good in Super though.

@ Cody: You're ignoring the fact that Justin started using Adon shortly before Final Round 14 in 2011, far before he was considered top tier.

Meety said on January 16, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

I know what you're talking about. But ignoring Justin Wong's statement, that's what I like in some players. To prove that not all characters that are less used, aren't what they seem to be. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that not used much, but what I'm saying is that not everyone that go against some characters like Hakan, for example will know what they have to do against him.

MrGreeny said on January 16, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

I respect guys who play not top tier but don't cry about top tier like justin wong. stay salty while guys like Dieminion put in work instead of crying and pointing to the tier list every time they lose

BlankaBeast said on January 16, 2013 at 1:47 p.m.

Well that can change, just like earlier Adon thoughts.

revolvingsun said on January 16, 2013 at 1:49 p.m.

XDIEX said on January 16, 2013 at 1:52 p.m.

I dont like JW at all. His face bothers me so much! He sucks a SF compared to others and he mind as well pick up Akuma because he hasnt been winning anything lately.

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 1:57 p.m.

Cinderkin said on January 16, 2013 at 1:59 p.m.

Justin Wong believe it or not is one of the nicest top players in the US. There is no need to hate on him at all.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 2:01 p.m.

This just in (Just-in, geddit?) - SF3 Chun Li isn't boring.

Kappa.

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:05 p.m.

revolvingsun said on January 16, 2013 at 2:06 p.m.

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:09 p.m.

Zentsurugi said on January 16, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

If there ever is another update for SSF4 they definitely need to tweak the top tiers a bit. Cammy needs less damage, stun, and frame advantage on block. Akuma, idk, add some recovery on his Demon Flip stuff? Fei Long I really don't know. His damage and rekkas have already been nerfed. What else could they possibly do to him to tone him down? Adon, Jaguar Kicks need to be punishable on block. I think they nerfed the hit box on them to make them easier to stuff but we all see how that worked out. Seth, maybe less invincibility on his dp? He's another one that would be difficult to tweak. Then again I don't know this character that well either. Of course the lower tiers are gonna need some love too. That's only IF they were to do another update, which a lot of top players say the game needs right now.

zUkUu said on January 16, 2013 at 2:16 p.m.

that's what I always say. you have to LIKE a character to be able to be top notch with him. that's why daigo wasn't as good with yun or gamerbee with his other characters. etc

revolvingsun said on January 16, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

grabityfree said on January 16, 2013 at 2:23 p.m.

I remembered a guy called Jwong in the past used to play to win pick up, in vanilla boxer , fei long abel,rufus counterpicking people all day.Now as he getting bodied he talks about fun and stupid BS what a shame.When was the last time did he hit top8@ evo in SF? I cant even remember.
Emp jwong was so sick.Dat esport version is wack.

GakoTheChef said on January 16, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

@12 then you need to watch that new interview thats on eventhubs about dieminon

illness690 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:29 p.m.

Simba_v7 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

@6 He never said he picked up Adon because he is top tier. He said he's playing him more now because it's good to have a secondary character(He even cited top players with second characters) and Adon has better matchups where Rufus doesn't.

niggardly said on January 16, 2013 at 2:34 p.m.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.

Erm, I guess nobody got the sarcasm in my post?

Of course SF3 chun li is boring (and all things considered - easy as hell to play). He didn't need to bring it up because his entire SF3 past is "Chun, Chun and more Chun".

Basically, he shot himself in the foot there.

revolvingsun said on January 16, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

@ #29

What I think that Justin meant to say was:

"I can't hope to ever be as good at those characters as other players are."

At their cores, they're both waaay more fun than Rufus and SF3 Chun - unless Justin only has fun with characters that he can brainlessly roflstomp with whilst only needing to learn one combo - or a single poke or two.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

@ #31

And that.

I think that Justin has become complacent in his "pro-status", and thinks that it's his right to instantly be godlike with any character he picks right away - or they don't fit his style/finds them "boring".

kalma said on January 16, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.

dro2191 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

respect to both Justin Wong and dieminon, they play with what they like, and i agree with 31 when it comes to game like marvel or ssf4 ae in top level play i do tend to see the same characters being used

Jinzo18 said on January 16, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

BumblebeeCody said on January 16, 2013 at 2:58 p.m.

@Meety #11
Good point. But then I do wonder, does he enjoy playing Adon?

DevilMaySpy said on January 16, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

@ #32 Clearly you don't know Justin was one of the best Cammy's in Super while only using her as a secondary.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 3:13 p.m.

@ #38

That's because hardly anyone even played her until the last parts of that game's lifespan.

Back then, hardly anybody put the time into her - except for maybe Sakonoko.

RagingGhost said on January 16, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

Considering how low Akuma's health is...

Sure, you got the options, but you can't afford mistakes with Akuma.

revolvingsun said on January 16, 2013 at 3:21 p.m.

RedRapperSux said on January 16, 2013 at 3:30 p.m.

JWong, Shut up. Grind it out and try again.

DBZ_DJay said on January 16, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

I like what Justin said about picking a top tier and not getting the full potential unless you have a great interest in that character. The reason i play with DeeJay is because he is fun to me, regardless of tier.

TheTHCGamer said on January 16, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

@31 Agreed and dont forget illness690 tiers change with each update so Rufus might not be top tier at the moment however some might consider him top tier in previous versions of SFIV. By all means though keep defending JWong when he doesnt need you to keyboard hero.

DevilMaySpy said on January 16, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.

@ Shark: That's fair, but to suggest he can't currently play her at a Top 8 caliber level is quite silly.

Chrisuchiwa said on January 16, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.

Justin is crying so much now, even on Twitter. You can't defend him. he is a great player but he has changed his mind so much times in the past....
Some facts, He lost vs Chris G at UFGT, and then he made a new team Vergil, Spencer and Frank and won CEO. What a character loyalist!
In AE, he always picks Adon vs Dieminion Guile, now he is losing everytime, he is crying.
the fact that Infiltration , Kbrad and Chris G will be at SCR have reduced his chance of win by 3 at least.
Infiltration usally play 3 characters (Akuma for rushdown and mixups, Gouken for zoning and spacing and Hakan vs strong defensive players) He clearly identified that Akuma has some bad matchups and learn some alternative characters to deal with.
A guy like Justin Wong that splitted some pots at majors, come on Justin, find some solutions instead of crying.

BaroqueObama said on January 16, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.

Dammit man, step it up, there's a pretty big difference between "can" and "can't"

korosuuu said on January 16, 2013 at 3:40 p.m.

believe it or not Rufus isn't all that great.

and he certainly has not all the tools he needs...

most of u ppl crying out loud about how Rufus is actually a awesome character are just not that familiar with him i guess...

he lacks a tone of stuff...
3-frame-move, footsies in general, long-reaching stuff which doesnt need like 20+ frames to come out...
just to name a few..

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

@ #45

To be honest, right now - he probably can't.

If he put in the hundreds of hours necessary against multiple top players, it's not unlikely.

SF4 isn't the same game it was back in Super. It's no longer the Justin and Daigo show - everyone has drastically stepped their game up, and character tweaks have also changed things.

RunningWild said on January 16, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

SteadiestShark said on January 16, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

@ #48

Gee, that sounds like most of the cast. And by most, I mean pretty much everyone except the top 3-5.

DevilMaySpy said on January 16, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.

Whoops, meant to add "if he were to invest time into her". Too many tabs open.

THTB said on January 16, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.

I've seen Justin play Akuma before a while ago, NECXI to be exact. Just saying, giving Justin a character with a sweep like that is the scariest thing I've ever seen in AE, tbh.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 16, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.

This article is just one giant *Kappa

Raven said on January 16, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.

Justin wouldn't play Rufus if he sucked. He's using Adon because he's tapped Rufus potential and people know his tricks. Rufus can also struggle against Sagat and Guile, or Yun because of his speed. He does have some tough matches.

But, you just have to be prepared. You have to get all the match-ups right and you have to master your execution. Give it time, Justin will find his footing.

dorayaki said on January 16, 2013 at 4:31 p.m.

CLASS is in SESSION: Listen kids, the "top tier" is only "top tier" bcuz top players WIN with said characters. Poongko was on a tear - Seth is OP. Infiltration on a roll - Akuma is OP. Heck, I've even heard that Ryu is top tier bcuz of Daigo. Fuudo/Mago - Fei Long. Latif/Wolfkrone - Viper is top tier. Get the pattern??
And you "only see top tier" play in tourneys bcuz the top players keep winning. Another words, it's not that everyone is playing Morrigan. It's that CHrisG is getting a LOT of airtime during tourney streams.
The ONLY character that was almost unanimously considered OP was Yun in the previous version - even though he had bad matchups.

Gimme ONE Akuma player in the entire USA competitive scene that can beat R.Ortiz and JWong. So, you're telling me that with such an OP Akuma, no one in the USA can beat JWong or Ortiz with him?? Do you kids see the problem there with Justin's ideology in regards to Akuma top tier?

Let's be honest. JWongs salty he hasn't been a topic for the longest time. He thinks he can still get away with old gameplay and tech. It's one of those classic, "I know I can beat you if I try my hardest... but I'm not interested in beating you." So sad - from champ to chump.

GoldenTrophy said on January 16, 2013 at 4:38 p.m.

I suggest everybody read he entire interview, it's a pretty good read.

Texasfry86 said on January 16, 2013 at 4:43 p.m.

Been playing rufus since vanilla and I am going to continue to play him until the end of the sf4 era. I completely understand and respect justin and his knowledge of his characters, rufus is a high risk high reward character and has some match ups against against top tiers that push his risk factor far past reward. He is a pro player for multiple reasons one is because he is very talented, other is because he is very smart and I look forward to seeing that adon.

GoldenTrophy said on January 16, 2013 at 4:43 p.m.

@12 Read what @26 typed he is correct.

gtfopanda said on January 16, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

@ #56

Pretty much what you said.

But the scrub mentality is "X is winning and must be nerfed to damnation" instead of "I should try to understand why that character is winning, what that player is doing and how I can play better against him".

Then after such retarded cries we get crap like AE Ryu.

Justin should simply step up his game, because at the moment he's simply not there with the cream of the crop.

Graphf said on January 16, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

fighto2000 said on January 16, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

@56 So true these FGC fan and player only follow what people tells them, very few thinks for themselves. Justin always makes excuses to cover his weakness, that fool has lost his spot a long time ago being top american player. Of course it'd be boring even if he did pick cammy or akuma because he still get body and he knows it. Just love how salty free american player are they lose to someone and they think the character is at fault or op lol when it's the player who put the work in.

kalma said on January 16, 2013 at 6:38 p.m.

irrenmann said on January 16, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

I respect his preferences and everyone should play characters to whom they feel connected, but it's still weird to hear how strongly he would prefer one divekicker over another.

V3N0MB1T3 said on January 16, 2013 at 8:07 p.m.

"You’ve said before that you just want to win now, and you’ve expressed your interest in playing top tier."

Just wants to WIN now. Refuses to play along to what the SSFIVAE metagame has shifted to...scumbag wong.

Swafflong said on January 16, 2013 at 8:37 p.m.

God, I know winning was always nice, but what ever happened to playing characters because you liked them, not just because they're top tier? It just pisses me off seeing, for example, PR balrog switching to fei long, or when daigo switched to yun in vanilla AE.

BloodyNights said on January 16, 2013 at 9:08 p.m.

While I agree half and half with your statement. I'll give you a light flaw that I see with your post. Poongko only seemed relevent during the Original AE before Seth was nerfed. Latiff, and Wolfkrone haven't been doing super well lately either after the 2012 updates. Also almost everyone has said that Akuma has been top tier for like the majority of SF4's life cycle.

Does it take time to be good with these characters? Absolutely, are they pretty damn powerful to the point of being almost unfair to weaker areas of the cast? Yes again.

Training hard will get you wins, I don't complain about tier lists or anything, but some characters are simply amazingly powerful, and their potential is alot higher then other characters in the cast.

I've seen Dan beat Akuma plenty of times. But the greatest Dan player in the world wouldn't hold a candle to the greatest Akuma player. Just the way it goes.

Granted I don't complain about it, unless I'm just overly salty, and "WE ALL GET SALTY" However I do find certain top tiers to be boring despite being able to win with them. So I'd never be able to bring out the true potential in them. So I agree with what Justin is saying to a degree. Also end whatever it is I'm talking about xD

EnsignHiro said on January 17, 2013 at 1 a.m.

well it is his opinion and i agree accept for the akuma part i just dont like how over powered he is. cammy is extremly linear to the point i dont even see a huge diffence in many cammys out there asides maybe one has better execution or matchup knowledge then some other cammy player thats about it.

Smorgasboard said on January 17, 2013 at 1:06 a.m.

The idea of playing the character you love being the norm started with online warriors that came when SF4 was released on consoles. Before that nobody cared.

Asmiliz said on January 17, 2013 at 2:20 a.m.

Akuma is boring to me too. Hes way to easy. and the fact that everybody plays akuma just makes me hate him more. I wouldnt want to be another uncreative lemming that just jumps on the bandwagon.

Cammy seems fun, but i cant play her because she makes me sick. I love to play cody, and Cammy is exactly like cody exept she does everything better and has a dive kick and a gdlk reversal uppercut, only thing cody has that cammy doesnt are the bad stones. I mean that just makes me loose it, why do u have 2 chars that play so much alike bbut one of them does everything better and even has more options, why would capcom do somewthing like that?

FightDirty said on January 17, 2013 at 2:50 a.m.

Yes, Akuma is strong but he's supposed to be. Everyone knows that according to the storyline Akuma owns Ryu, so obviously they will make him strong. Yet as some folks have mentioned he has really low heath. Cammy is a beast for sure and she has average health; a tough opponent. Whenever I play these two characters I know I will probably have a tough fight but I find it very rewarding when able to pull out a victory. That's what makes it fun to me.

Instead of being salty about characters you have trouble with, maybe you should TRAIN HARDER, like one character loves to say. Don't take defeats so badly; it's just a game you know. And no, I don't use Cammy or Akuma.

As far as JW goes; who cares what he thinks. Is he even relevent anymore?

KB said on January 17, 2013 at 4:37 a.m.

#72 Oh JWong is definitely relevant. But he's definitely not leaps and bounds ahead of everyone, so people really need to stop thinking he's god or something.

And honestly, why does he say that characters like Akuma and Cammy are boring when he pretty much centered his 3rd Strike career around using Chun-Li, who pretty much embodies all the things that makes Akuma and Cammy so boring to play? It just makes no sense to me.

And people, this article has almost nothing to do with high tiers and low tiers. JWong just doesn't feel comfortable with Akuma and Cammy, and if he could find a top tier character he likes, then he's fine with it. But people also need to stop revering JWong as a god because he picks a character he likes. Cause almost everybody picks a character he/she likes. Most of them happen to be high tier because people like winning. And there's nothing wrong with that.

xShonuffx said on January 17, 2013 at 5:16 a.m.

I can sympathize with him. I've been using Chun Li since vanilla. I decided im gonna get serious and as soon as I started training with characters like Ryu or Rufus, I just could'nt connect. I went back to Chun Li an it just felt....right. I don't know.

Maybe I need to put more into Ryu. And don't say its because I am a fanboy. I love using Ryu in Third Strike even though i am better with Chun Li, Oro or Yun. Ryu is just more fun to play. I also love him in Alpha 3 and SSF2 Turbo. Just something about SFIV.

dsjkhiuhsdf said on January 17, 2013 at 5:36 a.m.

sarif2soon said on January 17, 2013 at 6:47 a.m.

play what you like, i say.
i think cammy would be fun if they gave her back her ex cannon strike they way it was in super. i really liked trial 22.
i play seth because i like his toe taps. i picked him before he was considered s tier. i don't think there's anyone who can be more fun than him.

and less active frames for cammy's dp.

korosuuu said on January 17, 2013 at 7:38 a.m.

@ 51...
that were just some of the shortcomings of Rufus, the list goes on...
horrible backdash, some pretty bad matchups (Zangief, Sagat, Seth...), EX Messiah goes over some characters on hit, etc.

TaoTuna said on January 17, 2013 at 10:08 a.m.

This just in, illness690 complains about people dickriding how japanese players are overall better then americans...yet has no shame dickriding justin wong like there is no tomorrow...double standards at its finest...

foolly said on January 17, 2013 at 1 p.m.

Rufus is fine, he does not need a 3 frame move pleaseee.. characters that can lock you down and take the fight in one go do not usually get 3 frame moves, along with a damaging ultra that is probably one of the easiest to connect(you cant have it all). that is not a weakness. The tier list has a way of balancing itself out.. Rufus is not the strongest in footsies for a reason. things like bad match-ups and valid weaknesses is present in almost all of the cast

robococky said on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

When money is the reward who cares about not liking the character you play? Pick top tiers if you want a chance to win. How many people do jobs they don't like because you know, they need to pay bills and stuff.

stream_monster said on January 17, 2013 at 1:29 p.m.

@78 One of the few poster's comments I don't read here, he/she just seems slow. That or a silly troll.

On another note, the interview was a pretty good read. The section I posted below sounds like something a Japanese player would say haha.

When Iron Fist hits you, it feels more impactful. Each hit you land with him feels rewarding and it’s different every time. When Fei Long hits you, it’s usually “rekka-rekka-rekka, you’re in a corner. Now you have to block, oh you flinched? Rekka-rekka-rekka, and let’s just do that again.” BORING!

Ohh and GET HYPE for SCR!