Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 14, 2013 at noon PST
First DLC Skullgirls character was 1/3 complete before team disbanded, XBLAFans article talks creation of Lab Zero, Slightly Different patch and more XBLAFans put together an excellent article that divulges the details on why the Skullgirls team was let go and how the initial creation of Lab Zero games came to be.

This post also doubles as an interview with CEO of Lab Zero Games, Peter Bartholow, and he gives quite a bit of insight on what's been going on since last June regarding Skullgirls.

“Lab Zero just…kind of happened,” he told XBLAFans today via email. “The team was going to lunch one day, and [was] frustrated with the situation, and I just kind of blurted out, ‘What if I made a new studio and we all went there?’ Much to my surprise (and horror), people said, ‘Yes, do that,’ so…I was kind of stuck.”

Bartholow’s big mouth had gotten him stuck with a new studio and the new title of CEO, one that he says “doesn’t feel ‘real’” even now, months later. It was real enough for Autumn, however; the publisher wanted the game’s original creators to be the ones to use one last continue at the game over screen that would have inspired less-dedicated developers to put the controller down and walk away. There was work to be done on a gargantuan patch, and Lab Zero was the only choice for the job.

Bartholow also dropped an interesting bit of info saying that the first DLC character for Skullgirls was 1/3 complete before the team was dropped.

“We all really want to make DLC characters, but it’s expensive and time-consuming. The first mysterious character was about 1/3rd complete when we were laid off. But between the attach rate for DLC and the loss of momentum caused by the drama, recouping the development costs or profiting seem difficult.”

Be sure to check out the full article over on XBLAFans as there is a ton of ground covered.

Comments

Guybrush20X6 said on January 14, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Aw Man.

I hope they consider doing the DLC characters for a Super Skullgirls or something.

hazelnut1112 said on January 14, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

I guess this means that they are working on a different title with more characters like @1 said or they are waiting for the PC release to see how well it does in terms of sales to see if it is going to warrant support for the game.

Hypermarth said on January 14, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

Yeah not sure how they would avoid digging themselves a hole... I mean I generally enjoy the game but the first 2 characters they planned to release don't appeal to me at all (Umbrella and Squiggly?) As for all the people who wanted a male character they would also have to wait a while.

Meety said on January 14, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Damn, I hope they pull this through. Skullgirls is a fun game, but I would be looking forward into the DLC characters they might bring in.

Zentsurugi said on January 14, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

I really hope and pray these guys can get through this hardship. They have been working really hard just to get this far and I would really hate to see them fail. If they do make it I would definitely love to support them in the future. They seem like a great company with a genuine love for games.

southpaw said on January 14, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

It's a shame, this was a really solid game and I really enjoyed playing it for 4 months.

I just hope they'll come back with a new 2D title soon enough that's even better.

Dreamcastman19 said on January 14, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

pathetic...

TaoTuna said on January 14, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

That was a really good article, I really feel for the skull girls team and hope things turn up for them. Meanwhile i am going to just have to keep hating that i have a 360 instead of a ps3 until they find a way to get the patch out.

InitialR said on January 14, 2013 at 12:57 p.m.

genocide_cutter said on January 14, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

Damn I really wanted this game to do well.

learis1 said on January 14, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

To the couple dozen ppl who actually play skullgirls, my condolences go out to you.

jme said on January 14, 2013 at 1:48 p.m.

Thats all this game needs is more characters. The gameplay and mechanics are fine.

dubgrass22 said on January 14, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.

this game....sad story it had pointental

JAgamer said on January 14, 2013 at 3 p.m.

TaoTuna said on January 14, 2013 at 3:07 p.m.

^

This comment is the most important thing this person has ever said in his life...and ever will be said...sad but true.

spambot said on January 14, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.

so is mike z not working on skullgirls anymore?

ButterKnife said on January 14, 2013 at 4:19 p.m.

They should take this game full PC. I would play it more if they had more freedom. They're a great team but going through Xbox and PSN is stopping them.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 14, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.

This game should have had PC support. 360 and PSN have too many limitations for an indie game like SG to fully prosper

anthonygamer said on January 14, 2013 at 5:47 p.m.

Each Skullgirls article is like a graveyard for the game. RIP

Mecha_G said on January 14, 2013 at 7:51 p.m.

This game got boned in the back door. Somebody get it a wheelchair.
Too bad, I was really looking forward to those two characters.

wiggaplz said on January 14, 2013 at 8:37 p.m.

Dead then? I wanted to buy it on steam :/

FullAnime said on January 14, 2013 at 8:40 p.m.

Ouch,

caruga said on January 15, 2013 at 1:28 a.m.

This game is in 2nd place to appear at Evo last I heard.

werewolfgold said on January 15, 2013 at 1:29 a.m.

Did y'all miss the part when they said that PC version is their top priority right now?

ywuieriusidhfiuq said on January 15, 2013 at 5:57 a.m.

renyoryu said on January 15, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

zzzzzz irrelevant game

genocide_cutter said on January 16, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

He everyone report renyoryu

Ex_Ein said on January 17, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

Knew supporting this game was a mistake