Tekken master Kor writes how champions of fighting games are made

Posted by Nate 'Nyoro' Young • January 12, 2013 at 7:38 a.m. PST
Tekken master Kor writes how champions of fighting games are made Blight Gaming recently hosted a guest editorial by DMG|Kor of Tekken fame where he talks about how to practice and who to practice with when training to become a fighting game master. While Kor is best known for Tekken, his advice also applies to almost every fighting game out there.

If you'd like a little perspective on how some of the best train and travel, then take a look at the article. A snip of the piece is below.

One of the many fallacies surrounding players today is the old saying “practice makes perfect”, that constant practice mode will hone their skills and eventually bring them to the top of the ladder. This method can have its upside and I do would never deny practice mode to stay sharp and consistent, but ultimately it is about who you play. The old saying practice makes perfect should be modified to “perfect practice makes perfect”.

I remember when I started playing, I would go to the arcade and watch these players who actually knew juggles, punishers, and how to utilize blocking and movement and I would think they spent their time playing for years to achieve this, but little did I know these were the mere basics. These basics is what practice mode is there for, it’s there for players to master a juggle, punish consistently, and practice movement and frame reactions. Anyone who participates in anything competitive knows that no matter how much time you spend in practice, it all changes when you are in the actual ring; where emotions, nerves and adrenaline runs high and you are susceptible to any error.

In a game like Tekken, where any little mistake can turn the match around, it is important to stay clutch and not make any errors. These sudden moments where reactions come into play can only be practiced through real life competition. The progressive levels can be look at like a pyramid, observe below:

Submitted by Death_tm.

Comments

SeriphAngel said on January 12, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

I agree with him 100%. I enjoyed playing him also. Really nice person.

Existent said on January 12, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.

I'm not disagreeing, but I don't think "practice makes perfect" was ever specifically referring to an actual training mode. "Practice" is just playing.

Kalyx_triaD said on January 12, 2013 at 8:20 a.m.

#2:

Good point.

I've been grinding pretty hard on SFxT and one thing I've been applying is getting online and joining lobbies and getting boddied by good players. I had to look at losses differently and evaluate myself on these matches. Rather than complain about certain tactics that look dubious I try to find ways around them as well as ways to make myself more dangerous.

When the big update comes I'll adjust accordingly and trek on. You gotta get yourself out there in the arena and gauge your performance!

xShonuffx said on January 12, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.

@3 Yup, you know I use to do that with Chun Li in vanilla SFIv but for some reason I got out of that mode. I don't know I think I just jumped on the bandwagon of whiners and started to find problems iwth the game as oppose to finding problems within my own self. I gotta get back into my old training habits because it was actually working and I was getting better.

BumblebeeCody said on January 12, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.

@xShonuffx #4
That's the thing with Tekken, practicing won't change. Games like KoFXIII and Tekken don't change and force to adapt to other peoples playstyle/habits and techniques. If you beat a move in KoFXIII or a find a way around a certain tactic in KoF, there's a great feeling of over coming that obstacle rather than the company interfering and nerfing random moves. I admit I get pissed at losing to a certain move but having to overcome is a good learning achievement. I was crap basically.

H3XxMAjiN said on January 12, 2013 at 10:53 a.m.

i hardly spend time in practice. i usually learn everything by facing others. the thirst to win is wat make you get better.

Meety said on January 12, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.

Yea, practice can help you with moves and all, but the true test in your skills is who you go up against and how you will win or lose.

Hammer said on January 12, 2013 at 11:50 a.m.

Definitely agree #3,4, and especially 5.

RunningWild said on January 12, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.

dro2191 said on January 12, 2013 at 1:17 p.m.

not saying that practice mode is completely useless, it helped me learn basics, juggles, adjusting to certain play styles(when i fought online),understanding my team, etc but it is true the best way to learn is to get bodied online watching your replay and understanding where you went wrong, best way to start is finding a training partner at your skill level and going from there

Raven said on January 12, 2013 at 4:25 p.m.

Online is bad or good relative to your location. Some places have it worse, some have it near perfect (like Japan). So you can't just say online is bad everywhere, it depends.

I do agree with him. You can find plenty of good players online and if you play them consistently, it's going to make a big difference. Playing someone who doesn't know what they're doing is never a test of any kind.

maryhelen975 said on January 13, 2013 at 4:52 a.m.