Steamworks used for Skullgirls PC release, should allow for cross-platform with PlayStation Network

Posted by SFilp • January 10, 2013 at 10:41 a.m. PST
The PC version of Skullgirls has been available for pre-order over on Gamers Gate for quite some time now. They have since added some new information on the release confirming it will use Steamworks instead of Games For Windows Live. This should allow for cross-platform between the PlayStation Network and the PC version on Steam, like other games such as Portal 2.

Skullgirls on PC is set for release sometime in Q1 of 2013 and will cost $14.99 USD. When pre-ordering from Gamers Gate, customers will be given 4 bonus color palettes for Parasoul.

Click image for larger version

Tip sent in by Vawned.

Comments

caramell_dragon said on January 10, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.

Cool beans. Hope some PC people find it and enjoy it.

Vawned said on January 10, 2013 at 10:46 a.m.

Instabought for me. I will just wait a little to see if it will appear as pre order in Steam or in Green Man Gaming, with a better bonus/deal.

Speakertag said on January 10, 2013 at 10:50 a.m.

Finally, something that doesn't use the horrible GFWL

Him said on January 10, 2013 at 10:53 a.m.

There we go Mike Z. I cant wait to buy it a third time :)

ubertrance said on January 10, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

Cool news, I guess Ill have to rebuy it since the patch isnt coming to the 360 any time soon

gtfopanda said on January 10, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.

Now we're talking, screw that GFWL garbage.

Tensa said on January 10, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

I love the cross play between ps3 an pc I would love for future Capcom games to do this :)

Torrie_De_Goddess said on January 10, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

OMG that second color is Kula Diamond. How has no one mentioned this yet?

jtir123 said on January 10, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

This, is sweet.

rakuko said on January 10, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

is first color Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles?

Louiscipher said on January 10, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

YAY!

M1N0RA said on January 10, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

Somebody give her a lollipop.

Chryo said on January 10, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

Hey this isn't actually new. The GG preorder page mentioned Steamworks and the Parasoul preorder colors since it first went up about 7-8 months ago.

In fact, there's a strong possibility this info isn't accurate anymore.

EDIT: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/ju...

Hell, it was me who reported it. I didn't remember that.

hazelnut1112 said on January 10, 2013 at 12:13 p.m.

This will actually make me want to re install the PS3 version. This is good news since it will expand the community. Hopefully future fighters will add this feature. Maybe if they release UMvC3 on PC, that would be cool.

ChipsLight said on January 10, 2013 at 12:22 p.m.

Cool thing to know that Skullgirls PC will come on PC now. I'm sad they won't sell it on Steam though.

Abbadon36 said on January 10, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

That is pretty sick!
Wonder if it will tell how is on what platform?

HooliganComboFTW said on January 10, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

Be nice if PC version is finally released and they jsut focus on the pc version to get the game developed. Much less of a hassle. THen once enough content is eventually out they could eitehr try a sequel title or add dlc

Hypermarth said on January 10, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

Xbox version, forever alone...

JustSTFU said on January 10, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

Cross play w/ PS3? Now I'm a little interested.
Question:
1.Did the PS3 get the patch update already?
2.Did the patch speed up the game? The hit-stop and movements were so slow and long + the long combos it was just really painful to play before when I tried.
3.I thought I read somewhere that the game will have no chance of extra characters now, is that true?

Kawalorn said on January 10, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

I don't really see what's new in here... all of this was said back in summer when the game was officialy confirmed on PC...

@UP It's not that there is no chance for DLC. They just said that currently they have 0 DLC planned now. From other things they said it seems that the future of DLC for this game depends almost solely on how well the PC version will do and to lesser extent on the DLC colors.

Also quoting LabZero from Neogaf: "If we hit this sales target in this period of time, we'll release a new DLC character free, or something."

Chryo said on January 10, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

@15 The only reason why it isn't on Steam yet is because there's no set release date yet, since the game is kinda stuck on development with only one guy supposedly working on the port. Valve doesn't put indie games on Steam for preorder unless it is absolutely certain that they will be released. Otherwise if the game is cancelled giving out refunds to everyone would be an unnecessary nightmare.

Anyway, if a game is released with Steamworks (like Skullgirls according to this article) it is obviously going to be available in Steam's storefront. Even if it's not for some strange reason the very fact that it is Steamworks means you will have to activate it on the client, no matter where you buy it. You end up with a Steam game either way.

AnaboliChris said on January 10, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

thats sick

EA575 said on January 10, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

Delicious.

theramin said on January 10, 2013 at 1:15 p.m.

Just saying, Q1 is pretty optimistic.

BlankaBeast said on January 10, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

Cross platform is where its at.

CrossoverFighterRyu93 said on January 10, 2013 at 1:39 p.m.

Awesome! She has a Kula Diamond skin from KOF. I really love these Skullgirls colors.

godfist314 said on January 10, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.

I didn't know about this myself. I check Eventhubs and Shoryuken religiously so the only way I missed this is if I forgot 1 of 5000 stories produced in the last 9 months. Which could be a possibility.

SteadiestShark said on January 10, 2013 at 2:14 p.m.

@ #10

Selvaria has Silver/White hair, so no.

2nd one is Kula Diamond from KOF.

No idea about the others, though.

Mr_Pyro said on January 10, 2013 at 2:50 p.m.

Awesome! This will prove to Capcom that Steamworks is the way to go, not GODAWFUL (anyone else imagine that word when reading "GFWL?).

TaoTuna said on January 10, 2013 at 2:54 p.m.

I remember seeing in an earlier skullgirls thread some people were talking about how the game wasn't going to be on pc...LOL

MagStormFilia said on January 10, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

@TaoTuna

Yeah, it was just yesterday. :P

Aether9000 said on January 10, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.

KDEJDPAONDNFOWOMALAMSOSMSPAKQPPWKDMCM.Z.DMLDPD,XOXK/&/&:9;$'coakwo

Zentsurugi said on January 10, 2013 at 4:22 p.m.

Nice! We were just talking about this yesterday. lol It's almost as if MikeZ read the comments in yesterday's discussion and said he was gonna show the naysayers. lol Anyway, I'm happy to see that this game is still holding on. I'm confident there will be more to come in the future now.

ButterKnife said on January 10, 2013 at 4:34 p.m.

They should just ditch consoles and go full PC.

Kenshiro said on January 10, 2013 at 5:18 p.m.

3rd color is obviously Jessica Rabbit.

Holtrain said on January 10, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

That first colour reminds me of an old Ayane costume from Dead or Alive. Minus the brown boots. Jessica Rabbit colours also reminded me of Orihime.

Atwa said on January 10, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

I preordered this game when it said August 2012 on release date..

LordProsper said on January 10, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

The first color is Luka Megurine.

Eternal said on January 10, 2013 at 9:01 p.m.

Actually PC/Steam cross platform has since been disconfirmed due to issues with Sony.

SteadiestShark said on January 11, 2013 at 4:58 a.m.

I would have guessed Jessica Rabbit, but then you notice the purple arms.

ShinAkiraDesu said on January 11, 2013 at 5:04 a.m.

Yeeeeeeeeees! But stil no love for the 360 version

Necreon said on January 11, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

Only I can't see Skullgirls in steam store? Maybe it's region locked (I'm from Hungary).

Shinkutatsumaki said on January 11, 2013 at 7:22 a.m.

Awesome!

brasssmunkye said on January 11, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

swoot, finally gonna be able to buy SkullGirls :D

Amerika said on January 14, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.

The PS3 version has lag issues, the 360 is lagging in patch updates and the Steam version, with GGPO and Steamworks, will most likely run amazing and at max FPS AND they can update/fix it for free (besides their own time).

I still think SG should have came to PC first and built up an audience but I think they really wanted to try and make that big splash with consoles...but that didn't really happen and the cost of supporting 360/ps3 caught up to them :(

Amerika said on January 14, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.