Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 8, 2013 at 11:45 a.m. PST
Apex 2013: Largest Super Smash Brothers tournament in the world and Video X Games Qualifier - weekend tournament preview This weekend Apex 2013 will be taking place in New Brunswick, New Jersey and will begin on Friday January 11 - 13.

This event will feature a wide variety of different fighting games and quite a few well known players are expected to be in attendance.

Below we have gathered up quite a bit of the details including what games will be played, pot bonuses, live streams, schedule and more.

Final sign ups will be available at the door for this event. All registrations will be handled at the check-in station and you will need to inform them who you are, if you are a part of a team and which games you will be entering.

Hit the jump to check it all out.

Apex 2013

• The run down: Apex 2013 is a three day event taking place in New Brunswick, New Jersey and will be kicking off on Friday January 11 - 13, 2013. Known for being the largest Super Smash Brothers tournaments around, Brawl, Melee and the Nintendo 64 version will be featured there along with a slew of other fighting games including Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, King of Fighters 13, Soul Calibur V and Persona 4 Arena.

This will also double as a qualifier for the Video X Games in St. Marteen for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012.

• Who's expected to show: AGE|NYChris G, coL|Filipino Champ, BT|IFC Yipes, MH|RayRay, DMG|Kor, C.O.R.N.|Alucard, C.O.R.N.|Footwurk, TFA|Kui and others.

• What's at stake: The first place winners for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will receive a trip to the Video X Games in St. Marteen. The pot bonuses are as follows:

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles – $1500.00 + trip to Video X Games
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles – $1500.00
3. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – $1000.00 + trip to Video X Games
4. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v. 2012 – $1000.00 + trip to Video X Games
5. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 – $500.00
6. King of Fighters XIII – $250.00
7. Soul Calibur V – $250.00
8. Persona 4 Arena – $250.00

• Streaming duties and schedule: There will be 3 live streams provided by Clash Tournaments, 8WayRun and Bifuteki.

Schedule

Friday

10:00am Check-in + Free Play
12:00pm Super Smash Bros. Melee Doubles Bracket (complete)
2:00pm Super Smash Bros. Brawl Doubles Bracket (complete)
2:00pm Soulcalibur V (to top 8)
3:00pm Super Smash Bros. (to top 4)
4:00pm King of Fighters XIII (to top 8)
5:00pm Pokemon Black/White 2 (complete)
6:00pm Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012 (to top 8)
10:00pm Brawl USA VS The World Exhibition (on 8wayrun)

: all streams doing selected matches all day

SCV Registration will end at noon
KOF Registration will end at 2pm
AE Registration will end at 3pm

Saturday

8:00am Check-in + Free Play
10:00am Brawl/Melee Singles Pools 1-8
11:00am Super Smash Bros. Top 4 (on 8wayrun)
12:00pm Persona 4 Arena (to top 8)
1:00pm Brawl/Melee Singles Pools 9-16
1:30pm Soulcalibur V Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
2:00pm Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (to top 8)
4:00pm Brawl/Melee Singles Pools 17-24
4:00pm King of Fighers XIII Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
5:00pm Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 (to top 8)
6:30pm Persona 4 Arena Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
7:00pm Brawl/Melee Singles Pools 25-32
10:00pm Melee USA VS The World Exhibition (on 8wayrun)

: 8wayrun – in addition to the scheduled matches
: bifuteki – selected FGC matches all day
: clashtournaments – selected SMASH matches all day

P4U Registration will end at 10am
TTT2 Registration will end at noon
Marvels Registration will end at 1pm

Sunday

8:00am Check-in + Free Play 10:00am Melee Singles Top 128 (to top 8) (on bifuteki)
10:00am Brawl Singles Top 128 (to top 8) (on clashtournaments)
10:00am Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
12:00pm SSF4 Arcade Edition 2012 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
2:30pm Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
5:00pm Melee Singles Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
7:00pm Brawl Singles Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
10:00pm Closing Ceremonies

Comments

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at noon

Melee AND Brawl streams?! Topping it off with UMVC3 is going to be a good weekend for me.

hazelnut1112 said on January 8, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Holy crap, look at all that variety. Will watch.

darkblade13 said on January 8, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

Very good variety of games. Will watch!!

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

Its sad people think Smash Bros games are competitive. There unbalanced, and I can tell you whats going to be the final Meta knight vs f-cking Meta knight! Meat knight ass rapes for all....

RunningWild said on January 8, 2013 at 12:22 p.m.

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 12:24 p.m.

I believe most major tourneys ban Meta Knight. Besides, Melee will be the stream to watch of the two.

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

Don't git me wrong i like the games, but its boring to watch. Its as bad as golf.

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

That's my view of Tekken or SF much of the time. I like those games but it's UMVC3 I would rather spectate. This tourney is boasting a hefty variety. There will be something for everyone.

Sneak8288 said on January 8, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.

@4 Its sad that people think any game is competitive with that mentality. UMVC3 is ridiculously unbalanced and in Finals you are going to see Doom Morrigan or Vergil on one of the teams there as well but the game is still competitive. MVC2 was EVEN MORE unbalanced and you would only see MSP or MSS or something. There were only like 5 viable characters but will you say the game isn't competitive? If you think its boring then its probably Brawl but to say the game isn't competitive when it has a competitive scene behind it is a pretty stupid thing to say.

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

Smash Bros is still a random ass game, and is no more then a casual game for friends. (A PARTY GAME0)....

Quebert69 said on January 8, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

Name is mis-spelled. It's TFA Kiu, not Kui.

Thanks! :)

eatm said on January 8, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

SMB is fun when it's not 1 vs 1

mrdrofficer said on January 8, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

@Ermapume

We may disagree on somethings Erma, but I respect the sh*& out of your Icon. Smash proud, Dee Dee, Smash proud.

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

@eatm Ya a Party game!....

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 1 p.m.

You ever listen to the King's theme?! ...magical...

DevilMaySpy said on January 8, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.

@ Ermapume: Metaknight won Apex last year.

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

@Sneak8288 YOU say (If you think its boring then its probably Brawl but to say the game isn't competitive when it has a competitive scene behind it is a pretty stupid thing to say.) 1. you admit brawl is boring, but there all the same forms of game play(random sh-t). 2.just because something has a scene don't mean sh-t(fishing).

FuZzY_NUFC said on January 8, 2013 at 1:11 p.m.

I think they forgot to add SxT kappa

rakuko said on January 8, 2013 at 1:15 p.m.

iirc MK isn't banned anymore since last year. the Unity Ruleset was proven to be a horrible idea after the last APEX when Japan destroyed US (the US MK mains went back to MK after not playing them for a while). some of the supporters of the Unity Ruleset also got completely shut down after OCEAN (ROB) beat down M2K (MK) (ROB vs MK is a 8-2 matchup reportedly).

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

To be honest I've never seen the Brawl finals for Apex, but yeah Meta Knight winning doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

DivinePhoenix69 said on January 8, 2013 at 2:05 p.m.

Im curious, is it possible to enter the venue if you are only spectating or do you have to sign up for a game to even be allowed admission? This would be my first fgc event that i attend but i dont really want to compete atm. I most likely wont be there saturday though as i have some personal business that day.

lordrockman said on January 8, 2013 at 2:15 p.m.

pokemon b2/w2............ WHY?

DivinePhoenix69 said on January 8, 2013 at 2:27 p.m.

@4 By your logic then Marvel, CvS2, and SfxT(pre- 2013) arent competitive since they are unbalanced right? Every game has things that prevents them from being perfectly balanced, so i dont see what you are trying to prove here. And Fyi Marvel 3 is just as random so your argument is invalid.

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

Pokemon is a deceivingly deep and competitive series. Look at the sites Smogon and Cerebii.

Sneak8288 said on January 8, 2013 at 2:32 p.m.

@alphagen What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If it has a competitive scene behind it then it is a competitive game. MVC2 proves that since the game was ridiculously broken. To use fishing as an example doesn't even help your point since its considered a sport. What about it makes it a party game compared to Playstation allstars which for some reason is view differently. If anything it should be considered a Platform fighter since it has more similarities to a platformer compared to a party game like Mario Party.

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 8, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.

I said it once n I will again, ANY GAME IS COMPETITIVE AS LONG AS THERES PEOPLE WILLING TO COMPETE....SMASH IS GREEAAT...n balance means nothing, every game(except maybe AE v12..maybe) is partially imbalanced,thats y theres tier lists n they r different everytime look at one

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

I love how people hold on the fact that I stated about the game being unbalanced, and did not say other games are unbalanced, but ignor that the game is still random as hell with it's bull sh-t stag hazard (IT A PARTY GAME FOR CASUAL GAME PLAY). @sneak8288 1.what you call E-Sport 2. I stated fishing because that sh-t is considered to be competitive, and that is nothing more then a outdoor pass time with no talent needed. Just like this game.

mrdrofficer said on January 8, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.

@Blazin

Damn straight. I'd love to get competitive XCOM going. I think it's way more exciting than LoL and SC, but I'm also insane.

@Erma

Damn tootin!

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 3:01 p.m.

P.S to all. TROLLEN.... LA LA LA LA LA. :)

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 3:03 p.m.

Know what a critic is....

BlackReaper201 said on January 8, 2013 at 3:06 p.m.

Wait a minute, people view playstation all stars differently than smash?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 3:07 p.m.

Man there's a sense where I'm from that plays super tecmo bowl competitively. I'm busting bulls people....:)

alphagen said on January 8, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

@blackreaper201 They all suck equally tho.

theshredder39 said on January 8, 2013 at 4:59 p.m.

@alphagen: If you're just intentionally trolling you're doing a really bad job of it because the fact that you braugh up stage hazards without acknowledging that there are stages without hazards, which tell me you've never seen how competitive matches work in Smash Bros. You can turn off items, you can do stock matches, you can fight 1v1 and there you go, yeah the mechanics aren't traditional to something like Street Fighter but neither is Mario Kart to Need For Speed.

CrossoverFighterRyu93 said on January 8, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

Holy-- is this for real? That's alot of content to watch.

@alphagen Your mother must be really proud of you huh. Get a job and quit putting smiling faces, it makes you more of a f^cking idiot, loser.

Ihateweeaboos said on January 8, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

I don't see why people are saying this is a very good variety of games. There isn't Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, Skullgirls, Aquapazza, etc. It's just the regulars and Smash. The only thing interesting about Apex is the free trip to VxG.

Balloon said on January 8, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.

People mad at a huge pot for a game they don't play sryboutit.

BumblebeeCody said on January 8, 2013 at 6:06 p.m.

alphagen
MvC3 is the epitome of random scrub factor comebacks. SSBBrawl hasn't changed since launch and forces you to be good. I respect the Smash Bros community for: dealing with shi- like yours, for still respecting other games, for being competitive at a game and taking it seriously and have a better community in general. Some of your lords of MvC3 started out on Smash Bros like Noel and Chris G so.....

roknin said on January 8, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

Regardless of how I may feel about Smash as a "competitive" game (...what does this really mean?!), I admire the fact that they still play and support their games fully.

I'll probably peak in at this over the weekend while doing lab work and such.

Uncanny_Doom said on January 8, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

@4: A game being balanced or not isn't what makes it competitive. The community has always been what makes a game competitive.

I love Smash, I love Marvel. I love fighting games. People need to stop crying like there's a "right kind" of fighter to enjoy playing or watching and just enjoy them all if you're really a fan of the genre. They all function with many of the same mechanics and fundamentals anyway.

Ihateweeaboos said on January 8, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

@38 so you bash MvC3 as a scrubby game when it wasn't mentioned and then you use it as a reference for good players?

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

Y'know I would also like to see some love for Arcana Hearts 3; maybe Melty Blood AA as well. Basically any fighter that hasn't received much attention as of late. Looking at Apex's variety I was disappointed those titles are left out.

Linkk123 said on January 8, 2013 at 9:03 p.m.

Awesome.

BlazinKoolBreez said on January 8, 2013 at 9:22 p.m.

Do u mean serebii.net, u said Cerebii...Pokemon is definitely deep n that sh!t is crazy, makes u see Pokemon differently

Ermapume said on January 8, 2013 at 10 p.m.

Needless to say when my brother schooled me on the nuances of the series' metagame, it blew my mind.

chipndip said on January 8, 2013 at 10:55 p.m.

@44: Made me realize that I had to retrain everything from fking scratch...damn I suck at Pokemon. The only rated E game in my house is the one I'm a noob at...

BlackReaper201 said on January 9, 2013 at 1:22 a.m.

Why don't they put Naruto Generations in this too? I hear they have a pretty competitive "scene" and it's a "technical" fighter.

iuweihsdiuf said on January 9, 2013 at 3:44 a.m.

BumblebeeCody said on January 9, 2013 at 4:26 a.m.

@Ihateweeaboos #41
Yes and? The point I'm making is that people bash Smash Bros yet don't realise(or want to acknowledge) 2 Smash Bros players are some of the best MvC3 players.

@Ermapume, chipndip
Most people think Pokemon is about getting to level 100, but once you read up on how deep the metagame is, it's really impressive. The EV/IV system has been part of the games since Gold/Silver but really grew in Hoenn and then became some of the most strategic games I ever player in Sinnoh (Diamond/Pearl) since you could battle worldwide players.
I've just spent the last hour EVing a perfect Latias :D

jesuslovessatan said on January 9, 2013 at 10:02 a.m.

so hype for pokemon black/white 2!!! just heard about pokemon X/Y coming in august too so im just covered in my own semen at this point! good stuff.

nice to see top players from marvel show up. gonna be mad hype!

roknin said on January 9, 2013 at 10:22 a.m.

@45 - Maaaaaaan. People sleep on how deep the Pokemon games are, I've been saying that for decades, literally.

I didn't even realize how deep it REALLY was until 3rd gen. That was when I realized I was way outclassed, lol.

@50 - I'm... uh.... not uh.... yeeeeah. Not quite THAT hype lol. but really, really looking forward to X/Y.

<---longtime Pogeymanz fan

Terrorzone said on January 9, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

Lol, this tournament; so geeky.

Weeabomania 2013

Shinobi_Moogle said on January 9, 2013 at 10:19 p.m.

Smash love! Melee = Best fighting game mechanics ever. I don't care if it's unbalanced, that game makes you feel like a god.

Pr1nZo said on January 17, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

I agree with you 100 percent. Especially playing characters like luigi who have stuff like the full screen wavedash lol. You can do any standing attack like 7 times while jetting across the screen. Can't do that in mahvel! Or ae.... Or kof.... Or jojo's bizzare adventure lol.

Its sad people think Marvel games are competitive. There unbalanced, and I can tell you whats going to be the final Wesker vs f-cking Wesker! Wesker ass rapes for all....
See what i did there? Don't get me wrong marvel's fun, but dont be talking about smash games being unbalanced. And don't talk about smash games in general when all you really mean is brawl. If your just talking about, brawl, then yeah, it's pretty unbalanced. Not every game can get as many chances to re-balance the game 1000 times like Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012 did. I bet they're not even done.
Also, i do think that marvel is a competative game, just like melee.

Tonedogz said on March 29, 2013 at 8:10 p.m.

Alright, I have been holding tournaments in my garage for many years now for the Super Smash Brothers N64. We are located in Michigan, and I am very eager to see how good other people are. I am confident, or better yet, I know that no one can beat me in this game. A one on one match or in a team mode, I or we can win. If you want a challenge hit me up, or if you want to keep me informed on further tournaments, I am willing to drive, shoot me a text (989)274-4038 when you text just let me know what you are referring too. Good luck losing. .