Posted by Catalyst
January 4, 2013 at 8:53 a.m. PST
Daigo Umehara's book Willpower to Keep Winning re-enters top 10 sales on Amazon Japan, #1 Kindle book The Beast has staying power. Despite being on the market for almost 10 months, MCZ|Daigo Umehara's Willpower to Keep Winning has resurfaced on Amazon Japan's top 10 list, hitting the 6th spot overall. It's also currently the #1 book on their Kindle Store.

Amazon Japan also labeled the title as one of the best selling non-fiction pocket books of 2012, as it placed in the 7th spot for their sales calendar year.

Originally retailing for 777 yen (roughly $9.57 USD), the 254 page title sold out at multiple locations in Japan in its initial run.

This is really cool news for the fighting game community, as it shows that the games we play have attracted something a main stream audience, at least in Japan, and that some of the people who picked this up have an appreciation for the level of dedication and effort it takes to become a top competitor in this scene.

The Willpower to Keep Winning covers Umehara's past, present and philosophy of how he approaches gaming. If you'd like to listen to a small sample of the book, you can check out the audio translation Cross Counter's Zhi put together for the community a ways back.

Thanks to the very awesome Beast Note website for this information.

Comments

GoddessOf2ch said on January 4, 2013 at 8:56 a.m.

Willpower to Keep Winning, Willpower to Keep Selling

KarbyP said on January 4, 2013 at 9:04 a.m.

Wow, the Kindle version is 525 yen.

I think I'm going to just buy it right now even though I don't know how I'm supposed to get it through to my iPad or Android device (last I checked the Kindle bookstore is region-restricted, right?)

anakmuda said on January 4, 2013 at 9:18 a.m.

Any info for US release?

VulcanHades said on January 4, 2013 at 9:19 a.m.

Is there a book by Infiltration? Cuz I'd rather read that one. :)

edrigo said on January 4, 2013 at 9:22 a.m.

good stuff from daigo

Cleckley said on January 4, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.

sprflyspdrguy said on January 4, 2013 at 9:36 a.m.

Very cool. That's great for Daigo!

VulcanHades said on January 4, 2013 at 9:44 a.m.

@6 lol yeah I'd definitely buy Infiltration's 1000 pages of notes on every top player.

ninenie said on January 4, 2013 at 9:57 a.m.

Yesterday, a famous Japanese blogger wrote about this book and recommended its "life hack" inspirations inside. It makes these sales spikes today.

HansMoleman said on January 4, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

#8 Actually infiltration's notes are way overstated. Infiltration admitted his notes were not on top players, but just match up specific knowledge.
Huge props to Daigo, this is pretty remarkable.

LK said on January 4, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.

I read the entire book and I must say Daigo included a decent amount of personal stories and events in his life. The other half mostly centered on his philosophy of effort vs. natural born genius.

The Beast was tamed when he became a nurse-helper, he changed from a bloody killer to a kinder, more gentle beast. It was a life changing event for him.

I feel that I know the Beast on a personal level now, it's really cool.

MrPavy said on January 4, 2013 at 10:26 a.m.

I wish there was a translation somewhere

LK said on January 4, 2013 at 10:27 a.m.

There is a fully translated version in Chinese.

But English fan-translation is unlikely, due to copyright laws (UltraDavid!).

We can only hope somebody picks it up for English release.

BumblebeeCody said on January 4, 2013 at 10:31 a.m.

Do want!

HabinoBR said on January 4, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.

English release and the Beast has my money

JIHADJOE said on January 4, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.

somebodey needs to hack into Infiltration's phone!

Simba_v7 said on January 4, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

#4 Reading a book on a player who had a remarkable year<Reading a book on a player who's had a remarkable career.

Kelshou said on January 4, 2013 at 2:03 p.m.

This!

YanDaMan said on January 4, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

Would be nice if there was a English version. Hell even I'd read it, and I hate reading.

abirzenith said on January 4, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

bought it yesterday XD

dvazriel said on January 5, 2013 at 1:30 a.m.

Freeyu said on January 5, 2013 at 2:22 a.m.

Damn, Umehara is selling out BIG time yo. I really hope this book turns buttholes playing online into respectable players but me thinks NOT oh well.