Intro to Skullgirls from Sanchez and Mike Z, strategy of Mike Z's team and a ton of online matches from Duckator

Posted by SFilp • January 3, 2013 at 8:50 p.m. PST
Over in the Cross Counter studios, Sanchez Sat down with with Mike Z to bring and intro to the game and some additional insight and technology to some of the cast in Skullgirls.

The clip after the jump is a nice strategy video showing off Mike Z's team.

The clip starts off with a synopsis of their respective teams, highlighting the unique synergy, and specific advantages gained behind their selections in competitive play. There’s a lot of useful, comprehensive information that runs over 20 minutes, so be sure to have your notepads handy as Mike and Sanchez drop some knowledge on this exceptionally entertaining game.

Duckator has posted a nice long set of Skullgirls matches with the game's patch. You can check out a lot of the game's changes put into action.

Tip sent in by calciusrepton, USAtlas and an anonymous reader.

Comments

Zentsurugi said on January 3, 2013 at 10 p.m.

Oh God yes!!! I've been waiting for more news on this game! I still play it and really think this game deserves more attention. Hopefully there will be more characters to come in the future.

AdaWongLover5 said on January 3, 2013 at 10:14 p.m.

Wait a minute, Duckator? My good friend Duckator? Huh, good for him.

Ex_Ein said on January 3, 2013 at 10:47 p.m.

Mike Z played Skullgirls & I don't care
Duckator is on these vids & I don't care
Zentsurugi plays it still I still don't care
I still won't pick up this gamee.

ThePatient said on January 3, 2013 at 10:54 p.m.

#3 at least you cared enough to tell us how much you "don't" care

bunny said on January 3, 2013 at 11:12 p.m.

excellent vids very informative feels like theirs still alot to be seen from sg

Zentsurugi said on January 3, 2013 at 11:30 p.m.

@Ex_Ein

If you don't care then why comment?

@bunny
Yeah I liked the vids too. Really gave me some insight into what all you can do and just how creative you can get with this game. I can't til my stick finally ships to me here in Kuwait. I'm gonna be getting in so many sets. I hope to have them recorded and uploaded too.

Ex_Ein said on January 4, 2013 at 12:16 a.m.

@4&6
I don't care that they want people to play this game(what these vids are for), I care that eventhubs is promoting a fighting game that for all intents and purposes failed(it's team was gutted and re skinned and all DLC plans are now a shadow of a path not taken) but I don't care to play it....see how i can not care but still comment?

renyoryu said on January 4, 2013 at 12:47 a.m.

Lol this game. Just give up and die already

HooliganComboFTW said on January 4, 2013 at 1:30 a.m.

Great Vids, game is highly underrated

You so Tsundere bro based on your two posts

MaverickHunterX said on January 4, 2013 at 1:59 a.m.

This game could've been a lot better if it has more fighters.

Geniuzz said on January 4, 2013 at 6:24 a.m.

The game is good, it's just a shame that so many people didn't bother to give it a chance. Sure, I could do with more characters too, but what a bunch of you guys seem to forget is that this game cost a tenner or so, so all you had to do if you wanted more characters is support the game. Now that many of you didn't, you're gonna say that this game failed? funny, I wonder how that happened.

bunny said on January 4, 2013 at 7:20 a.m.

sg may not have exploded but saying it needs more characters to be better is stupid the characters it has can do soooooo much each one is like 3 characters its too bad that it is going to fly under the radar for so many peoples who if they were to pick it up would probably enjoy it.kappa

BunnyBoy said on January 4, 2013 at 8:07 a.m.

It's strange how badly it blew up, too, considering how much buzz and overflowing positivity it was getting upon release. Even two of my real life friends were lauding it back then.

matthew6666666 said on January 4, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

I kinda enjoy the small "world warrior" roster...feels like you learn the match ups better.

Him said on January 4, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.

I don't enjoy the small roster. Its like the game had means of expanding its a demo with a crazy combo system. I did enjoy the game before the DLC plans were cancelled. I hope Mike Z and his team make a new fighting game with more characters

TrappedFrame said on January 4, 2013 at 9:25 a.m.

Well maybe if they included a F%&#%*$ MOVELIST,or at least a proper trials mode, people would have played this game for more than 15 minutes.I may be in the minority, but I don't think trying to learn a new game while looking up basic information for it on the internet was anybody's ideal situation. Add in the fact that the game only has a handful of characters and a microscopic community and.....well.....yea.

blaize09 said on January 4, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.

Awesome, I am glad this game is getting some attention it deserves it. I feel like people who don't like this game probably just suck at it or never learned how to play it.

Ex_Ein said on January 4, 2013 at 10:21 a.m.

yeah I'm ice cold but that' the biz

illness690 said on January 4, 2013 at 10:41 a.m.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 4, 2013 at 10:44 a.m.

Movelist? lol that doesn't matter. Most people look at that like once and don't look at that nonsense again. Its not like it has Combos or other useful inputs written down. Incidentally, they already added the movelist to the game for the people who are too lazy to use Google for 5 Min

A Trial Mode? Please, Those things have situational, non-practical flashy moves that you can only pull off on a dummy so not important.

I can overlook those two things since it has a well done Tutorial mode(Way more important then Trial Mode), GGPO Online, and an impressive Training Mode. Yes the game has 8 characters on a game where you can pick 1-3 characters at once so that hurts the variety and the community got smaller since its not Capcom, but that does not take away that its a quality fighter

bloodiasalt said on January 4, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

Ty1er said on January 4, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

@ Ex_Ein

I just don't understand people that make comments like yours.

It's a shame that currently this game is dead, however, that doesn't mean it has to stay that way. That being said, I don't see what's wrong with the lead designer/programmer trying to promote his game. Having played Skullgirls and many other fighters, I can safely say that this game definitely deserves the attention.

Lyn said on January 4, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

Great vids,

Great game, really hope to see Venus in the future.

TrappedFrame said on January 4, 2013 at 1:26 p.m.

@ Hooligan

I agree with what you're saying, but let's be honest. Unless you were to determined from the get-go to learn this game, the average player isn't gonna invest time into a game that doesn't even bother to tell you what its characters can do.Now maybe SF4's trials weren't ideal,but at least it kinda gave you a scope of what a character was capable of.Not so in SG. It teaches basic mechanics and that's it. Now keep in mind, I do enjoy the game ( though I'm not very good at it), but I feel like I spend more time on YouTube/SRK/EH than I do in-game because a vast majority of this basic information is not available in-game. I know all of this sounds blasphemous to the OG's, but its 2013, that type of game design is just archaic.

Dark_Obliske said on January 4, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

i would care what Ex_Ein thinks if he was actually good at fighting games.ppl like him are one of the reason the community has problems.

MaverickHunterX said on January 4, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

"And for those people thinking more characters equals a better game, are you really implying SSF4 or SFXT is a better game than SF3, just because they have more characters? HD remix would like to have a word with you."

Fighting games revolves on the variety of its characters much like a shooter game revolves on the variety of its guns. Having less than 10 characters in a single game is so 90s. If this game has been released 20 years ago, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Zentsurugi said on January 4, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

The thing that I really love about this game above all other fighters of this generation is that this game has soul to it. You can feel the effort that Mike Z and everyone else put in to make this game an enjoyable experience for everyone. This game really deserves the support from the FGC. I believe if we show enough support and interest in the way of buying, playing, promoting, and persistent requests for more content we will eventually get it. That's not to say we are bitching or whatever to the producers, but we are showing true fan interest towards a truly deserving product.

Lyn said on January 4, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.

Skullgirls has a breakdown of every character in tutorial

Firegod said on January 4, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

@bloodiasalt

I do respect your opionin however i dont fully agree. I understand that you think the game is boreing and that is your right, however, i dont agree that games dont die soley based on the fact that they are non capcom games.

I was watching a stream one day, and someone said "I respect capcom games, I just dont play them."

IMHO there have been alot of games that have died over the past few years that were good...and all of them non capcom games.

P4A, SC5, KOF13 are just a few games that straight got dropped off by the tournament scene. DOA and Playstaion All Stars barely just came out are barely makeing it (If they are makeing it at all).

IMO It seems that unless you havea hardcore community that is able to back your game no matter what, then its pretty much downhill if its not a capcom game. (Best example i can give is the smash community that litteraly sat down and fixed the code for brawl to play like melee, and yet STILL plays EACH game as seperate games....thats mad dedication to a franchise)

Im not a pro at keeping track in the community so im sure there are flaws in my logic, but I personally feel strongly that non capcom fighters have a negative start just because they arent capcom.

Geniuzz said on January 5, 2013 at 5:25 a.m.

"Having less than 10 characters in a single game is so 90s. If this game has been released 20 years ago, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

And yes, I consider SSF4 and SFxT better than SF3, and having more characters is just one of the many reasons why."

The first statement would have a valid point if the game was released at full price. Are you really expecting them to give you 30-40 characters for a tenner?

The thing is, you can like whatever you want, and if having lots of characters is one of your criteria to decide whether or not to buy a game, then that's fine as well. All I am saying is that people wait with purchasing until extra characters are added, but then complain that the guys fold or move on to other things with the lack of support. They still gotta eat, so they have to work on something that will actually, you know, pay the bills.

They have great passion and that's why we got a pretty polished game, of course with it's set of flaws, but pretty and intricate nonetheless. It's a shame not more people have invested in this, because if they had we would have gotten extra characters, we would have gotten other DLC, growing thgis game to an acceptable roster. In the worst case scenario you would have lost a tenner, now you lose an opportunity of a new game, and maybe this "failure" will hold other developers back from taking a chance with a fighting game.

Seriously, sometimes the fighting game community makes me sad. We cry over the lack of support and exposure that we as a subculture in gaming get, but we, as a whole, seem to be unwilling to support good inititives in our own community. I don't know, man...

shadowassault said on January 6, 2013 at 8:13 a.m.

I just want my patch please, I do not know why you gave it to ps3 players and not xbox players, I like this game too much to give up but not enough to buy it again on ps3.

Ex_Ein said on January 7, 2013 at 10:52 a.m.

Ty1er, did I say it was a problem just I don't care. and how many people do you seriously think are going to see this?

@Dark_Obliske, I forgot the sole point was to be good at fighting games and be super serious all the time, instead of you know having fun and spreading information and opinion(even if you dislike someone's opinion). There are multiple sides to each kind of community, I take up a a side all about artistic and non-fan/more casual perspective as fighting games are partially about appealing to a lot of audiences. I'd never suggest someone not pick up skullgirls, but I'll never pick it up myself due to the lack of(imo of course) likable characters with movesets I enjoy.

genocide_cutter said on January 12, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

@9 shut up

genocide_cutter said on January 14, 2013 at 8:17 a.m.

I ment @8