Kayane takes on Soul Calibur 5 challenger without looking at screen

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 28, 2013 at 9:06 a.m. PST
At Paris Manga, Mad Catz's Kayane took a unique approach to some of the sets she played. Known as one of the top Soul Calibur 5 players on the planet, Kayane attempted some of her crowd challenge matches by playing one-handed, and also without looking at the screen — the video below shows the latter.

Kayane uses the crowd's facial expressions to key when she should do certain attacks and such, as she notes the game's sound wasn't really clear. Players who participated in these challenges could win donated prizes from Mad Catz, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Warner Bros Games and Red Bull.

From Kayane's YouTube channel, via the Tokido blog.

Comments

SevenDaggers said on February 28, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.

Imagine, somewhere there is a lad that can call himself her partner. Lucky bastard.

Ihateweeaboos said on February 28, 2013 at 9:12 a.m.

The only lad I know is Arc the Lad.

Drifter said on February 28, 2013 at 9:13 a.m.

WHAT

Cleckley said on February 28, 2013 at 9:38 a.m.

Tainoaldo174 said on February 28, 2013 at 9:41 a.m.

lol wish more girlss were like her. attractive and nerdy!

JRock said on February 28, 2013 at 9:43 a.m.

Cleckley go kill yourself.

jthedude said on February 28, 2013 at 9:51 a.m.

@4, I know right, I personally sleep with super models every night

Dtwizzy said on February 28, 2013 at 10:02 a.m.

Keeping an eye on the creepers xD

NoizyChild said on February 28, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

Now, if this had been someone like Chris G or Noel Brown, people would call them arrogant.

It's amazing what a set of breasts can change.

DaSavage said on February 28, 2013 at 10:17 a.m.

Please Noizy, for the love of god, stop. Just... stop.

FightDirty said on February 28, 2013 at 10:22 a.m.

She's cute. What was she doing again?

Cleckley said on February 28, 2013 at 10:22 a.m.

king_e_dawg said on February 28, 2013 at 10:24 a.m.

@NoizyChild

You mean like when MarlinPie did this?

Of course that's arrogant. Kayane could be too if she wanted, but you know what both of them are? Damn good. Guess you could say... you can nerf the breasts, but you can't nerf the player?

On that note, if Kayane happens to read this... I enjoy long walks on the beach, poetry, and crushing my enemies and seeing them driven before me. If you've got any time free at Evo, I know a lovely little In-And-Out Burger...

Evilhero said on February 28, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.

A guy who makes an Arc the Lad reference AND hates weeaboos? Sir, I'd shake your hand if I met you in person.

thomaslight said on February 28, 2013 at 10:34 a.m.

ChrisG is an arrogant player.

This was an exhibition match.

BTW, <3

roknin said on February 28, 2013 at 10:37 a.m.

@king_e_dawg - his face when he did that still has me crying every time lmao.

@Noizy_child - if they were accepting a crowd challenge like this? How would it look arrogant in even the slightest way?

You're trying to find something that's not there.

Auron said on February 28, 2013 at 10:37 a.m.

@15 could you tell me why you think he is arrogant ?

warriors said on February 28, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.

she changed the buttons on her sticks

i have a mad catz stick and the x button wont work anymore
louzy stick , next stick will be a hori

CheeseCakez said on February 28, 2013 at 10:50 a.m.

Reminds me of when Michael Jordan shot a free throw in a game while closing his eyes and swished it.

22Travail said on February 28, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

My mouth is her bathtub....that just turned me on! lmao

Lordd_G said on February 28, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

SCV is button-masher = confirmed

koolersama said on February 28, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

doesnt this just show the lack of skill it takes to play sc5... i dare some1 to play sf4, kof or umvc3 without looking at the screen..u will get beat 100% of the time.

Lordd_G said on February 28, 2013 at 11:16 a.m.

@20: Pfft... a real man would let his mouth be her toilet.

Zedeyeenn said on February 28, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

@22 I would like to play a Money Match against Daigo at SF4 with the condition he can't look at the screen :)

triplefierce said on February 28, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

I know its a joke, but I was thinking the same thing. I dont mean to be disrespectful to the game, but it doesnt seem that she would be able to hear much because of the crowd and announcer, so it SEEMS that she would be just cranking out combos, and winning. The stunt showcases her skill, but kinda discredits the game.

Astro_Notch said on February 28, 2013 at 11:49 a.m.

This thread is funny. It's weird seeing you guys argue over something else that isn't SfxT realted lol.

edrigo said on February 28, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

this is eventhubs. gotta discredit/argue about something right?

yoitssfxtbaby said on February 28, 2013 at noon

NoizyChild said on February 28, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

illness690 said on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

RonaldRogan said on February 28, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Someone get her to play mahvel eyes off-screen.

Good luck.

NoizyChild said on February 28, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

Somebody just called MarlinPie arrogant for doing the same thing, yet look at all the white knights in here.

Like I said, if Noel Brown or someone would have done the same thing, people would be calling him an arrogant dick, whether it was for fun or not.

chowdizzle said on February 28, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

She's so gorgeous in that kimono. Haha she's the only part of Soul Caliber that interests me. Actually I'd watch Tokido play, I love watching him play anything, the multi-game master.

illness690 said on February 28, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.

BlackChapters said on February 28, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

This could be done in Marvel, and I've done it in AE, so no, it can be done, Tekken or KOF would be near impossible.

JesseRobles said on February 28, 2013 at 12:42 p.m.

French players are cute, man. And they dress very nicely. ;P

roknin said on February 28, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

@NoizyChild - "It didn't say that this was the crowd challenge. It said that she played SOME OF her matches that way. That's arrogant, no matter who does it."

Article:
"Kayane attempted ***some of her crowd challenge matches*** by playing one-handed, and also without looking at the screen — the video below shows the latter."

Me:
"if they were accepting a crowd challenge like this? How would it look arrogant in even the slightest way?"

What part of this am I not getting right?

I don't think its arrogance. It's fun. Keep in mind its also about HOW you do it as well; it's pretty obvious from the vid of her above and the vid of MarlinPie that was posted, that it's all in good fun, even if it is some showmanship involved. It's not like either of them popped off or talked -ish afterwards.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but if Chris G did that at a major all in good fun I'd laugh too. Hell if I was the one getting beat, I'd laugh too.

Has nothing to do with it being a girl, and everything with players showing they're having fun with it.

Either way I guess we'll agree to disagree on this, but it really just seems like you're reaching on this one.

Crazcar said on February 28, 2013 at 12:55 p.m.

When you consider that Kayane, the other guy, and the crowd were laughing and having fun it's hard to call her arrogant. When they seem to just be bringing up random members of the audience, who are likely pretty bad at the game compared to her, you gotta make it entertaining for the crowd somehow.

That aside, beating your opponent while 'blind' depends less on the game and more on how bad your opponent is. If they don't understand the game well enough then you can beat them blind or one-handed, it still won't be easy, but it's doable.

Lastly, #34, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (so cliche, I know). Plus I can imagine some people like her more than they normally would just because she's plays fighting games, and is pretty good at them too. When a chick that's a solid 7.5/10 shares the same hobby as you, it can turn that 7.5/10 to a 9.5/10 lol. She ain't my cup of tea, but I'd give her a shot...not that it'd work out that way, but whatever. >.>

/endrant

SgtKonus said on February 28, 2013 at 1:33 p.m.

@32, its like EVO 2012.

Mexicans chant "Mexico!" and "Culero" and everyone gets hype.

Americans chant "USA! USA!" and people cry racism and nationalism.

FGC Hypocrisy at its finest.

chipndip said on February 28, 2013 at 1:38 p.m.

I feel like it discredits the game a bit if it can be played like this successfully while going up against someone that knows what they're doing, but come on, give a girl gamer a chance. THERE'S HARDLY ANY GOOD ONES AROUND, THUS THAT'S WHY THEY GET SPECIAL TREATMENT (for better or worse, and that goes both ways (giggity get it?)). Honestly, style all you want, as long as you don't lose.

Sweecide said on February 28, 2013 at 2:30 p.m.

Kayane is a good looking woman by any standard. Unless you hate asians or just an arrogant prick who wants to stand out.

JRXP2011 said on February 28, 2013 at 3:03 p.m.

so beautiful

illness690 said on February 28, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

URAlsr said on February 28, 2013 at 3:46 p.m.

deteknician said on February 28, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

As others mentioned it just proves how terrible that game is.
In SF it doesn't matter if it's Daigo/Infiltration/JWong if they're not looking at the screen they're getting bodied by everyone on this forum.

Kayane is a good player though, I'm not taking that away from her. She beat my man at EVO in SF4 and he's pretty good.

NRR said on February 28, 2013 at 5:14 p.m.

I like how all the comments on this video boil down to "ZOMG she's so hot!" or "omg wtf this game is a button masher, no skill."

Way to go FGC. It's easier to invalidate than it is to validate something as cool and lulzy as this video, try harder.

roknin said on February 28, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

"As others mentioned it just proves how terrible that game is."

....not even close to being true.

TheCreator said on February 28, 2013 at 5:29 p.m.

@46 QFT

KwRIOT said on February 28, 2013 at 5:53 p.m.

Kayane's good at SC5? Nahhhh, all she did was mash buttons and throw-spam. What a scrub.... -_-

Kidding. Kidding. Put down your pitchforks people.

GokaiGreen said on February 28, 2013 at 5:56 p.m.

Maryokutai said on March 1, 2013 at 1:09 a.m.

That’s nothing special. Natsu is played in braindead fashion anyway, so technically it doesn’t matter if you’re looking at the screen or not.

/slight sarcasm. But only in the first sentence.

VladDracul said on March 1, 2013 at 3:27 a.m.

A1Spinn said on March 1, 2013 at 9:25 a.m.

damn, all the hate..sad sad fgc!!! give this chic some credit..obviously it was just for fun..and we all know she can take it us on S.C.