Gorilla Grodd spotted in background of Red Son DLC pack trailer for Injustice: Gods Among Us

Posted by SFilp • February 27, 2013 at 6:14 p.m. PST
In a new promotional trailer for the Red Son DLC costume pack for Injustice: Gods Among Us, you can clearly see Gorilla Grodd in the background of a stage.

The Red Son pack comes from pre-orders at GAME in the UK and will featured 3 additional skins for Superman, Wonder Woman and Solomon Grundy along with 20 additional missions to battle through all based on the Red Son story line from DC comics.

This isn't the first time we've seen or heard Gorilla Grodd before, a blurry image from Ed Boon's website noob.com featured what people were guessing was Grodd.

Click image for larger version

Video via GAME's YouTube channel and sent in by knuxpyro56.

Comments

Otter_of_Death said on February 27, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

Like Carlos implied, I'm surprised that a single mom can make over $5,000 every... I'm just kidding.

Gorilla Grod looks sick, but unfortunately, it looks like he no longer has any chance of being playable. It would be insane if he was. I mean, look at the size of that character model. It's ridiculous.

Mexican_Guy said on February 27, 2013 at 6:50 p.m.

Almost got me, Wonder woman looks great on the screen shot but still looks awful in-game (her face).

TheSureFireGamer said on February 27, 2013 at 6:53 p.m.

I'm telling you, Boon is taking lessons from Ono. I wouldn't be surprised if Grodd was in the game, since there are still several more characters to be announced.

He's really keeping the Hype Train going.

TheMasterPlayer said on February 27, 2013 at 6:54 p.m.

@ #1 Otter_of_Death,

Haha.. you almost got me there bro.. I was just about to click on your comment and report it as spam. Good thing I read further down the line, lol!

kabukisama said on February 27, 2013 at 6:56 p.m.

40 seconds in:

What in the blue hell was Superman doing? It looked like someone was sliding around a stick puppet on a table top!

Mexican_Guy said on February 27, 2013 at 7:07 p.m.

@5 must be a minigame mission, like those on the MK tower

Professor_Icepick said on February 27, 2013 at 7:10 p.m.

What the funk? Gamestop told me the Red Son pack was gonna be on all 3 platforms. Bunch of bull, I'm calling the BBB on their asses.

Razberryclownsac said on February 27, 2013 at 7:10 p.m.

This doesn't make him look playable, and he's one of my wish list characters :(. Still hope though. This may be one of the story missions from Red Sons and he's just in the background. Fingers crossed

BestAlgorithm said on February 27, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.

Gorilla Grodd... does this imply maybe Power Girl?
We already have a water character, now we just need a fast grappler. Power Girl or Ragdoll, please

AugustAPC said on February 27, 2013 at 7:17 p.m.

Yea... Wonder Woman looks gorgeous in that preview image. I wonder (no pun) why no one has been able to get NRS to comment on this. I honestly didn't think the females in MK looked bad. They had more realistic facial features... but Wonder Woman isn't looking great by any standard.

mario3d said on February 27, 2013 at 7:56 p.m.

No more big grap chars, Grodd not playable, only spotted in background, calm and bring more interesting chars...

Egon_Spengler said on February 27, 2013 at 7:59 p.m.

Gorilla Grodd looks awesome. I wasn't really feeling him as a playable character but I like the idea of including him in the background.

@9 - I love the idea of Power Girl but I'm not sure how Gorilla Grodd's appearance in this pic implies her inclusion?

kabukisama said on February 27, 2013 at 8:02 p.m.

Oh, I think you're right about that!

BestAlgorithm said on February 27, 2013 at 8:10 p.m.

@Egon_Spengler

The only experience I have with a Gorilla character is from the Power Girl comics. I figured he was too lighthearted (not really) to be a serious villain... so somebody just made up for her series

Dedemaru said on February 27, 2013 at 8:11 p.m.

I think the fact that he's decked out in armor implies he has a chance to be included as playable. Just because he's a background character, doesn't immediately exclude him from the roster. Look at Tron Bonne in Marvel's Kattleox Island stage.

DangerousBacon said on February 27, 2013 at 8:27 p.m.

Doomsday is also in the background and he is confirmed to be fightable but not playable yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same for Grodd.

knuxpyro56 said on February 27, 2013 at 8:40 p.m.

Don't forget it was also given the same treatment to Shang tsung, Goro, and Scarlet in MK9. I will definitly support Grodd to be playable cause we need moar animal fighters we have tekken's snimals, kuma in SFxT and Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3 so why not here

Boogityboy said on February 27, 2013 at 8:43 p.m.

gammabolt17 said on February 27, 2013 at 8:45 p.m.

@Best

Grodd is an awesome villain. Very smart, very cunning, and he uses mind control. Also runs Gorilla City, where his legion of ape cohorts have some of, if not, THE best technology and weapons across the DC Universe. Not gonna lie, though. I could be wrong about a lot of this. I'm really more of a Marvel guy.

BestAlgorithm said on February 27, 2013 at 8:48 p.m.

@gammebolt

Is he the guy who was in a wheel chair because his brain was so big he couldn't walk? Afterwards he switched bodies with an albino gorilla and had his girl make an army of animal people?

gammabolt17 said on February 27, 2013 at 9:01 p.m.

The albino gorilla you're talking about is Ultra Humanite, and he has the ability to transfer his brain into another body. This is basically from me watching DC animated shows, so I could be wrong about this, too, but besides him and Grodd, the only notable gorilla I know of is Monsieur Mallah.

BestAlgorithm said on February 27, 2013 at 9:01 p.m.

@50Sent

Ohh, that's Ultra Humanite

theshredder39 said on February 27, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.

I'm glad Grodd is at least still remembered.

Chunners said on February 27, 2013 at 9:28 p.m.

Russian skins? No thanks.

AugustAPC said on February 27, 2013 at 11:01 p.m.

Grodd would be an amazing character. Gorilla grappler with telekinetic abilities? Umm... Sign me the f*ck up. Plus, he'd be a great enemy Flash.

Too bad he probably won't be playable :(

GSpOt said on February 27, 2013 at 11:12 p.m.

uhmm... i dont think Grodd should be a playable char, cuz we already got to much heavy guys(Solomon Grundy, Bane, Lex, Doomsday), and thats pretty much a waste of a spot when we got more interesting chars such as Martian Manhunter, Raven, Poison ivy, Scarecrow, but we could use him to damage our opponent or make a combo like Killer Croc and Penguin on the Wayne Mansion Stage transition, that would be cool. Still hoping for Plastic Man.

AugustAPC said on February 27, 2013 at 11:36 p.m.

Seriously? More Batman characters? Grodd has plenty of potential that would EASILY separate him from Grundy and Lex as far as play style goes. We don't even know if Doomsday is playable. Why do you want more Batman characters? Scarecrow would be a terrible choice. Ivy would be good for another female, but we don't need more Batman characters, Swamp Thing would be much better. Raven and Manhunter, especially Raven, are both must-haves in my book, though. I agree with you on them.

Still... we have plenty more characters to uncover and Grodd would be an excellent use of a spot.

GenSoHotSpicy said on February 27, 2013 at 11:36 p.m.

Gorilla Grodd is huge! No way he is playable.. He looks awesome though. If you're gonna get any Flash villains in this game its either young to be Captain Cold or Mirror Master. Grundy and Supes skins look great.

Beanybomber said on February 28, 2013 at 12:08 a.m.

i wonder if there will be a krypto the super dog mini game?.... DO IT!

N0_0NE_SPECIAL said on February 28, 2013 at 12:24 a.m.

Why does every big guy need to be agrappler in everyones eyes? Playstion allstars is doing it right, take Zeus for example.

Mac_Gargan said on February 28, 2013 at 1:13 a.m.

OMG! I've been giving this game sh !t due to some weak sauce art direction, but that's the most badass Grodd I've ever seen. PRE-ORD now if Grodd is a playable offensive titan!

Who IS their Juggernaut/Hulk anyway? Big Grapps don't count.

AugustAPC said on February 28, 2013 at 1:29 a.m.

In terms of gameplay style or canon power/size?

As far as gameplay goes, we'll have to wait and see.

The DC counterparts to Hulk/Juggy would probably be Darkseid, Doomsday and maybe Mongole if we're just talking pure strength, size and invulnerability.

Boogityboy said on February 28, 2013 at 2:09 a.m.

Jiggeh said on February 28, 2013 at 2:28 a.m.

@Boogityboy The Red Son pack is exclusive to Gamestop in the US, and exclusive to GAME in the UK. Retailer exclusive pre-order crap is always different in every region since (naturally) different stores are present in different countries.

AugustAPC said on February 28, 2013 at 3:15 a.m.

Juggernaut and Hulk are immeasurably stronger than Grundy. Batman can take down Gruny, he wouldn't be able to tickle Hulk or Jugs with his blows.

FatMus2 said on February 28, 2013 at 3:29 a.m.

@32 Since Bane and Grundy have been shown to be grapplers I'm guessing someone like Doomsday or Gorilla Grodd (if he was playable) would be the big brawler.

@36 Well no because Grundy has been known to be stronger than Superman even, and has single handedly taken on the JLA. His strength is always inconsistent with each ressurection. Marvel characters don't stand a chance against DC characters.

AugustAPC said on February 28, 2013 at 4:30 a.m.

The only rendition of him that has been that strong was Earth 2, and even he was beaten by Batman... by tricking him...

Regardless, Earth 1 and New Earth Grundy are both less than no match for Hulk or Jugs.

Also, there are plenty of Marvel has some pretty damn powerful characters and DC has toned it down since Silver Age. Characters like Hulk, Sentry and Galactus are up there. I do think if you took the strongest from DC and the strongest from Marvel, DC would win, but it wouldn't be no contest.

fdgrejhkdfger said on February 28, 2013 at 4:31 a.m.

mp91 said on February 28, 2013 at 4:32 a.m.

in MK9 you didn't have to pre-order the game for having all the tower's missions........ so lame

AdonVega said on February 28, 2013 at 6:47 a.m.

I think that there alot of characters that will be introduced before the game gets released. I hope Grodd gets put in here, he is a great FLASH villain. And as far as Batmans villains go, between him and the flash they both could make a game with just their cast. So I'm hoping we see a good number of them, they are all interesting characters so no one should be too upset. I would love to see Mongul, Darksied(and all his henchmen), Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, so many, just keep them coming and I'm waiting patiently till this game hits.

SnakeX said on February 28, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.

Wow...those mini-games look janky as hell.

Also, now that we know Grodd is a background character (and a huge one at that) there's pretty much a zero percent chance he'll be playable.

While it's true that DC always makes their characters stupidly overpowered, there's no way Grundy is stronger than Hulk. Hulk has no limits to his strength.

HyperViperNZ said on February 28, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

Wonder womans face...she looks like a foot.
I was a bit skeptical about this game at first but now im quite looking forward to it. No idea who gorilla grodd is but he looks like another power character which is boring. Bring in Zatana for some excitement and something fresh!

Razberryclownsac said on February 28, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

I'm thinking Grodd isn't playable but Scarlet wahsn't either and she was in the background. Shang Tsung also was in the background unless he fighting on his stage. I won't hold my breath but I can still hope Grodd is playable.

@43 Grodd is badass Flash rogue. He is big, but he also has telepathic abilities and very advanced technology. He could be a very interesting addition, he's much more than "another grappler."