Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 15, 2013 at 8:05 a.m. PST
Some attacks cause less block stun on Paul in Street Fighter X Tekken v2013, issue passed along to Capcom's developers zUkUu, who's one of the people recording the frame data for Street Fighter X Tekken v2013 for the community's use, discovered an interesting bug with Paul, specifically that he sometimes receives less block stun than he should while he's standing.

Capcom's Peter "Combofiend" Rosas responded to the finding.

I've recently begun to do all the Framedata for the DLC characters in the game via recording the footage and counting frames until the jump frames appear. That method is reliable. HOWEVER, since there seemed to be differences for a few values that were done by a fellow frame tester, I was pretty clueless what the problem was. I've done all my recording with PAUL as dummy and it seems HE is the problem. Some moves cause less block stun on him, and on him ONLY. (I've tested Cody's f.mp on the whole cast for that purpose)

I've only tested the moves from Cody for now, but he alone has already a good number of moves that cause 1F LESS BLOCK STUN:

f.MP => +1 on block (0 on Paul)
Knife s.lp => 0 on block. (-1 on Paul)
c.lp => +1 (0 on Paul)
LP Bad Stone => +5 on Block (+4 on Paul)
MP Bad Stone => +3 on Block (+2 on Paul)
HP Bad Stone => +1 on Block (0 on Paul)
EX Bad Stone => +8 on Block (+7 on Paul)

Note: That only seems to occur against Paul STANDING. When he crouches he seems to receive normal block stun.

And while we're at it, Paul has another glitch. When you Charge Attack Dash Cancel (51+ frames) so your next attack is a counter hit, and then do a regular EX Smasher, it does NOT counter hit. ONLY for EX Smasher, normal Smasher and any other move still counter hits.

Combofiend: Thanks Zukuu for finding this out, this is quite interesting. I don't know if it's necessarily game breaking as there's only a one frame block reduction, on a standing Paul, who's fastest standing attack (s.lp) has been increased by one frame as well. If anything it makes his s.lp a 4 frame attack as it was before. I do agree however, that it could possibly create a slight balance issue.

I will pass these findings along to the dev team as I'm sure this was probably unintentional.

Source: Ask Capcom.

Comments

MajorPug said on February 15, 2013 at 8:10 a.m.

Paul now undisputed top tier.

XxTigerheartxX said on February 15, 2013 at 8:14 a.m.

Well, he is the strongest in the universe =)

SgtKonus said on February 15, 2013 at 8:19 a.m.

Paul pees low-quality beer and poops steak, he eats lead and he breathes the smell of gasoline. Paul comes from an age where men were men and people liked play characters they could have a bear with. None of this school girl, moe, kawaii, bull**** that can be found in every Japanese game. As such, it makes me happy that he is finally playable in SFXT.

DunnDeal said on February 15, 2013 at 8:24 a.m.

*Whole FGC Reads Paul Article*
*Whole FGC mains Paul now after finishing article*
*Whole FGC pretends they've been maining Paul since day 1*

xanderglz said on February 15, 2013 at 8:34 a.m.

Smorgasboard said on February 15, 2013 at 8:36 a.m.

It's not game breaking nor does hurt Capcom's wallet.

If anything, it's a pretty cool glitch since he is the best in the universe, check it out.

Gameplan said on February 15, 2013 at 8:39 a.m.

@6 Lol, I agree.

ABSOLute said on February 15, 2013 at 9 a.m.

"Know that I am the top fighter IN THE UNIVERSE!"

FuZzY_NUFC said on February 15, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

Good...

Lordd_G said on February 15, 2013 at 9:18 a.m.

"Combofiend: Thanks Zukuu for finding this out, this is quite interesting. I don't know if it's necessarily game breaking as there's only a one frame block reduction..."

TRUE MEANING: Zukuu get a f*ckin life if you think we're gonna spend development costs and go through a whole new recertification process for this 1 frame blockstun reduction on one character who is already unbalanced.

BestAlgorithm said on February 15, 2013 at 9:20 a.m.

@FuZzY
Good? In what way?

Ermapume said on February 15, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.

Maybe he'll be banned for this. Stun is supposed be universal to all characters and it may be one frame, but it's still an advantage in the slightest.

okamiking said on February 15, 2013 at 9:35 a.m.

PFFT. Hwoarang can take him :I

joanlori892 said on February 15, 2013 at 9:42 a.m.

danny2times said on February 15, 2013 at 9:50 a.m.

What about Paul's weird screen freeze? Ex charge cancel into qcf punch always causes that zoom and the pause like the launcher does. Very weird.

Gurpwnder said on February 15, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

It could be intentional, like vanilla SSF4 Adon's quicker rising animation when knocked down.

Shinebox said on February 15, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

The biggest imbalance would probably be throwing following a blockstring. Standing Paul would have an extra frame to work it. This is the case since all characters have a 5 frame start up on throws

Azis said on February 15, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.

Gonna pick Paul to beat Lars, Law and Heihachi incredible safe blockstrings. Oh wait... I'm gonna see who Tokido will main first.

Sunforged_One said on February 15, 2013 at 10:02 a.m.

I like the idea of more individual characters. This is a way to make characters more individual. There might be a character, that 'is good' against crounching medium punches and another one that 'is good' against Roundhouses.
But if there is only a single character with a bonus like that, i don't like it.

KTProsper said on February 15, 2013 at 10:07 a.m.

I don't think the glitch will be that much of game changer though..I'd say leave it. Its only when hes standing anyway. Paul isn't even OP honestly.

You know you a tier whore when you jump on the bandwagon for something as little as this smh

hey said on February 15, 2013 at 10:11 a.m.

Combofiend: "Sorry, Capcom has no interest in patching unless it directly involves money in their pockets."

Abbadon36 said on February 15, 2013 at 10:12 a.m.

Well, he is the strongest in the Universe for a reason!

sakarot said on February 15, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.

I was curious when someone would start finding bugs in this version.

wBENDERw said on February 15, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.

you know Paul's last name is phoenix

just super say in =)

DangerousBacon said on February 15, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.

@ 15 / Danny 2 times

That's not a glitch. That's something that Capcom added every time that move got a counter hit. It should be in one of the patch notes.

Onislayer said on February 15, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

Sooo... how is this not game changing? Doesn't this mean that he is able to respond to certain moves better than everyone else? I'm sure someone here on EH can find a scenario where Paul can punish a string that no other character can because of this "glitch", even if the difference is only 1 frame.

I can see it now... "This move is a good tool to use on your opponent, unless your opponent is using Paul."

Desk is probably making a video as we speak.

shekeib said on February 15, 2013 at 10:58 a.m.

im just glad that combofiend is doing frame data, that is probably pretty damn reliable. Good stuff capcom, make combofiend do what he does best, analyze the engine etc.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 15, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

When I watch streams, almost everyone uses Paul. I didn't think I could see more of Paul than I already was, guess I was wrong. SFxT streams will just lose my interest for a while (again) until the hype surrounding him dies down a little. Watching the same character over and over is boring, and Paul is one of the less entertaining to watch IMO.

BlankaBeast said on February 15, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

Paul does ridiculous damage the way it is.

Ridiculous.

Nerf him, LAW, Hwoarang and Guy as well please.

SgtKonus said on February 15, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

No more nerfs please. I play Paul and Ibuki so I already have a one-character team since Ibuki blows. Why don't people just learn the match up before nerfing characters to oblivion (Juri, Hugo)?

HansMoleman said on February 15, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.

oh god, another patch pc is going to have to wait for...

dachsun said on February 15, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

mundaney said on February 15, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

PC won't get the full game for another 5 years lol

NumeroGaijin said on February 15, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

Because people are lazy when it comes to learning. They don't know that losing actually helps you learn...which is a shame. Paul really isn't that awesome anyway...regardless of his good damage. But I must agree that the advantage, no matter how slight, must be changed due to the fact that it is unfair to all other characters.

916 said on February 15, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.

@27 Combofiend isn't doing frame data zukuu is..

zUkUu said on February 15, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

The user "Eternal" from SRK digged deeper into the subject and found presumably what causes this:

"Found the culprit causing the Paul blockstun issue. They messed up paul's guard animation timing. While they moved "Damage" scripts into a common file, "Guard" scripts are still stored inside each individual characters .bac / .bcm files.

Here is what the script header for all other characters (at least the half dozen I checked) looks like (this example is taken from Ken)

<Script Name="GUARD_ML" Offset="0x83f4L" HitboxStart="-0x1" HitboxEnd="0xf" IASA="0x10" End="0x11" _Unk4="0x60" XOffset="0.0" ScriptFlags="0x0" EndsOn_="0x0" Loop_="0x0">

This is what the script header for Paul's Guard_ML

<Script Name="GUARD_ML" Offset="0x85d0L" HitboxStart="-0x1" HitboxEnd="0x11" IASA="-0x1" End="0x11" _Unk4="0x60" XOffset="0.0" ScriptFlags="0x0" EndsOn_="0x0" Loop_="0x0">

If you notice they are basically identical other than the offset (not important AFAIK) and the "IASA" value which judging by what I know from SF4 modding IASA stands for "Interrupt As Soon As" (in the SF4 mod tool it is called "Interrupt at Frame") and the "hitbox end" value is different. I'm not sure what the Hitbox End does as there is no actual hitbox for the move and we've yet to figure out what that value does in SF4. However the interrupt as soon as value being -1 instead of 10 likely is the reason.

Likewise the only applies to Pauls Guard_ML, Guard_MM, not any of his other guard scripts. That is why for instance, Cody's knife c.LP and f..MP have 1F less blockstun but his close s.HP has the same blockstun on paul as everyone else."

Landshark said on February 15, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.

I knew Paul was playing a little too good. I saw a couple counters after Paul blocked attacks in some matches that were way too quick.

BoozerX said on February 15, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

MikoRosso said on February 15, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

Thanks @36 zukuuSo for the elaboration, but was it intended or by mistake? Does that happen with any other character ?

So some hits lose 1 frame against Standing block. Let them fear frame-trapping a standing Paul! lol! I remember Desk talked about things not working against Paul btw. removing it won't make a big difference.

zUkUu said on February 15, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

A 100% unintentional. He is the only one and only this specific guard animation.

And yeah, it doesn't matter much, but it should still be fixed as it's still an advantage. And hey, I'm maining Paul since day 1, and could keep this for myself, enjoying the little advantage, but I still reported it, as I'd feel dirty knowing this while winning. lol

Spaghetti_Time said on February 15, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

This was intentional.

Ain't the best in the universe for nothin'.

JesseRobles said on February 15, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

I smell a ban.

Gurpwnder said on February 15, 2013 at 2:07 p.m.

This doesn't seem like a terrible deal, since Paul's fastest attack has a 4 frame startup, while several characters have 3 frame attacks - he shouldn't be able to punish things that nobody else can.

kdavis851 said on February 15, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

@43 This.

yonkersfinest said on February 15, 2013 at 3:23 p.m.

@29 yes all 3 of those chacters especially law dude is safe on everything he does and players get rewarded for doing bs moves

analogos said on February 15, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

doesn't seem like a big deal and i don't get why we can't have more specialized character traits anyway. yall complaining about a very situational 1f blockstun reduction should read up on the way Taka works in VF5. would throw you for a loop.

Darc_Requiem said on February 15, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

That pretty much nails it.

Timic83 said on February 15, 2013 at 4:40 p.m.
BlackReaper201 said on February 15, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

Lol people acting like this game is good.

Devdan said on February 15, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

Aw, I wanted to mention Taka. Dude could eat E.Honda and two Ganryu's for breakfast.

TheDeadTexan said on February 15, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

those stinking aliens don't stand a chance

xanderglz said on February 15, 2013 at 9:55 p.m.

rosy said on February 16, 2013 at 1:59 a.m.

Does it matter? But I thought this game play just for fun? Why so serious?

BlankaBeast said on February 16, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.

@45 thank you