About 30,000 people have responded to Street Fighter character poll so far, Ken and Cammy in Monster Hunter

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 8, 2013 at 8:41 a.m. PST
The Street Fighter character poll that Capcom launched the other day has already picked up about 30,000 votes, according to the Japanese Street Fighter blog.

The results for this poll will be revealed at PAX East, March 22-24, 2013. This poll is important, because the information will be used for future games, marketing and licensing.

Also, the team showed off some new skins for Ken and Cammy in Monster Hunter Frontier, to coincide with the 25th anniversary of Street Fighter. Check out the introduction clip below.

Getting back to the character poll, NMS84 compiled all of the votes left as comments on the story here on EventHubs. Hit the jump to check out what he came up with.

55 votes: Karin
27 votes: Ryu
26 votes: Makoto
24 votes: Dudley
23 votes: Cammy, Rose, Sakura
22 votes: Sagat, Chun-Li, Poison, Maki
20 votes: Dan, Guy
19 votes: Elena, Bison (Dictator)
18 votes: Oro, Gouken, Yun
17 votes: Rolento, Ingrid, Vega (Claw)
15 votes: Ken, Sean
14 votes: Yang, Evil Ryu
13 votes: Sodom, Fei Long, Hakan, Oni
12 votes: Balrog (Boxer), Zangief, Guile
11 votes: Remy, Birdie, Hugo
10 votes: Abel, Adon, C.Viper, Seth, Eagle, Juli
9 votes: Twelve, E.Honda
8 votes: Retsu, T.Hawk
7 votes: Blanka, DeeJay, Gen, Gill
6 votes: El Fuerte, Geki, Juni, Rufus
5 votes: Dhalsim
4 votes: Necro

Keep in mind these results aren't official and are strictly based on what readers in the comments said they voted on.

MHF item also submitted by HooliganComboFTW.

Comments

TheShadowDancer6 said on February 8, 2013 at 8:44 a.m.

I bet I'm the only one to vote for Retsu and Geki

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

I bet money that the top 5 character that AREN'T in SF4 and SFxT(because they'll add the 4 thats in SFxT anyway) will be in the update Ono keeps hinting about.

SnakeX said on February 8, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

30,000 votes...and 20,000 of those were for Shotos. Kappa

wBENDERw said on February 8, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.

GAHAAHHAHAHA

AWESOM3

BKDKenshiro said on February 8, 2013 at 8:48 a.m.

@ #1: I actually voted for both of them :-) Eagle and Joe too. Then Alex of course.

bunny said on February 8, 2013 at 8:49 a.m.

the poll wouldn't work for me just froze up

ElHiznahn said on February 8, 2013 at 8:55 a.m.

Anyone who only voted for (S)SF2 characters should go play in traffic.

Moar SF3

Sunforged_One said on February 8, 2013 at 9:02 a.m.

Is there anyone who actually didn't vote for Akuma? xD

or Juri :)

I wonder if there really will be an update for SF4. And if there is, I wonder if this poll affects it oO

LeonX said on February 8, 2013 at 9:03 a.m.

Ingrid *__* Come back please!

IoriaM said on February 8, 2013 at 9:05 a.m.

HOLY SH**! we will have Street fighter V shoto edition...
too many clone characters in this serie

Sir_Pantsalot said on February 8, 2013 at 9:07 a.m.

I would like to see the poll divided into two parts. Most popular main characters (Shotos, Chun, Sagat, etc) and most popular under represented characters (Alex, Karin, R. Mika, etc.) We all know Shotos will get the most votes.

Zidiane said on February 8, 2013 at 9:16 a.m.

Sean really needs to be higher.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 9:19 a.m.

So if they add totally new characters as of right now it would be

Karin
Q
Alex
Charlie
and Urien

auhsojsivart said on February 8, 2013 at 9:19 a.m.

Dang, I'm one of four votes for Necro. Poor Necro.

TheEdoNinja said on February 8, 2013 at 9:22 a.m.

Dudley, Adon, Seth, Gen, Juli.

Who is Ryu? lol

SeriphAngel said on February 8, 2013 at 9:24 a.m.

At least Charlie, Karin and my boys favourite Alex made it. Sorry Juli and Ingrid, I figured your votes would be low. Chun-Li I voted for you yes my dear but come on, lol you will be in the game regardless.

btnkdrms said on February 8, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.

I picked:

Birdie
Blanka
Karin
Rainbow Mika
Retsu

I just want new fighters (mostly) and Blanka. I main Blanka so I just want to show my support.

I'd be happy with anyone from Street Fighter - Hell I'd like to see any of the Street Fighters (and Final Fight) guys make it in for the win.

Ihateweeaboos said on February 8, 2013 at 9:37 a.m.

People voting for garbage characters like Ingrid need to stick to watching K-ON!

GokaiGreen said on February 8, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.

Ryunipotent said on February 8, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.

dawhistlesgowoo said on February 8, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.

Oni, sakura, Dudley, urien, and necro.
Need more third strike, but those three were my mains in Sf4 throughout the four years :)

HighOnPCP said on February 8, 2013 at 9:44 a.m.

PUT POISON IN SFXTK PLLZZZZ CAPCOM...yet NOBODY play her. fukking hypocrites man, the same will happen with ingrid etc. but whatever as long as they put some good characters in whatever they're doing next i'm cool

Ninjagoon said on February 8, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

Ibuki
Chun-Li
Cammy
Akuma
Ryu

GodPride said on February 8, 2013 at 9:47 a.m.

I'm not surprised at all. The results look very similar to poll the Tekken team put up sometime ago. Still can't get why Q is so loved all of a sudden.

GodPride said on February 8, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

@GokaiGreen

What about Hakan? Oil up!!

100thMonkey said on February 8, 2013 at 9:59 a.m.

@19 Not necessarily true, they can adapt any character to fit somewhat in each system e.g different hitboxes, properties on moves etc to improve Q. The taunt system could still be integrated maybe even less health or even left and give him the most health etc

Sadly the reason we will probably won't see Q is because Capcom hate him.

sprflyspdrguy said on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m.

lol so awesome.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 10:05 a.m.

@19 Get real dude. They change characters for different games. 4 and 3 are didfferent game therefore Q would be different.

SgtKonus said on February 8, 2013 at 10:08 a.m.

Q is that loveable weird who people want to know about. 12 is the type of weird people want to die in a fire.I find it interesting most of the 3S cast is popular. I mean, I like Ibuki and she's my favorite character but I didn't expect her or Dudley, Alex, Q and Makoto to be this popular.

Of course, remember that this poll only matters for any character who appeared after Super Turbo or before Super Turbo. Ryu, Ken, Cammy,Chun-Li, Guile, Zangief, Dhalsim, Blanka, Bison, Balrog, Vega, Fei Long, E.Honda, Deejay, and T.Hawk all could have gotten 1 vote and they would still appear in SF5. They are too popular to be ignored.

Jaxon76 said on February 8, 2013 at 10:11 a.m.

Karin with the most votes?

BlazinKoolBreez said on February 8, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.

Y the sudden love 4 that Karin mofo n Geki gets barely any attention n I'd love to see Sean...well, at least Charlie n Alex made it
Edit: n Urien..Q meh..ok Charlies 6th wth

#10 dont start that bs, its like saying Tekken has too many Mishimas or Team Ninjas DoA has too may ninjas

SgtKonus said on February 8, 2013 at 10:17 a.m.

Harada was right, we fans don't know what we want. People begged him to put Kunimitsu in TTT2 and no one uses her.

@30, I also never understood what was so interesting about Karin. I didn't like how she played and her rivalry with Sakura was something out of a bad anime.

Kijui said on February 8, 2013 at 10:18 a.m.

Re-voted for SF1 characters. I want their themes updated. Dan, Sean, Birdie please?
Gill laugh @ Dhalsim and Necro stretchy characters LOL

jimk23 said on February 8, 2013 at 10:21 a.m.

El Fuerte
Karin
Geki
R. Mika
Charlie

ShinAkiraDesu said on February 8, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.

Cody in the top 5. Woop woop!

Batsu said on February 8, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

EH's top 10 actually looks reasonable, except for a glaring lack of M.Bison. Are you people crazy?!

ya_boy said on February 8, 2013 at 10:39 a.m.

It surprises me that anyone ever votes for the shoe ins. Ryu? Ken? Akuma? When they ask you about guys you'd like to see in the future why waste votes on guys who have a free pass?

BlazinKoolBreez said on February 8, 2013 at 10:47 a.m.

Yes #30 weabos, dem f#kc!n weabos...so many great characters to choose from

roknin said on February 8, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.

@30 "Karin with the most votes?

This is really sad. A great franchise with a great history, is slowly being ruined by fanservice to effing weaboos."

Or hey, you know... a character that a ton of people really liked that has only seen the light of day in two games, one of which was... meh.

Also, this could apply to pretty much every character on the roster, soooooo yeah.

And ya damn skippy I voted for Karin, because hey - she is my favorite in the series next to Juri (mained Karin in SA3). Also voted for Rose, Cammy and R. Mika. Enjoy! ^_^

The_True_Gouki said on February 8, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.

Gouki forever!

Jinbei2D said on February 8, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.

Gouki should be first.....

BlazinKoolBreez said on February 8, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

Wat ever happened to Black Cobra

BlazinKoolBreez said on February 8, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

Oh sorry jus checked, its King Cobra

DJScrubble said on February 8, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

I voted Guy, Karin, Adon, Sodom, and Juli. Alpha 3 ALL DAY!

wolfindarkness said on February 8, 2013 at 11:35 a.m.

I think for street fighter 5 they should just add the rest of the missing characters from SF3, SFA3, plus Poison and like 3-5 new characters. bring back everyone from SF4:AE 2012. Obviously new stages, menu's, modes, Some new additions to the game play and physics. Better online. Don't say the balancing is impossible. It would just take time and I'm willing to wait for something this awesome to be made. I hope they bring back Hakan and Abel to the next SF regardless of where they made it on the poll!

rakuko said on February 8, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

sadly i don't really remember every char i picked, but:

Juri, Blanka, Dan, and Poison for sure. and i think i picked Dudley.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 8, 2013 at 11:50 a.m.

No particular order

Alex
Cody
Cammy
Karin
Rainbow Mika

Of course Cammy would wear Battle Underwear in freezing areas to slay monsters >.>

GokaiGreen said on February 8, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.

SoundwaveButcher said on February 8, 2013 at 12:05 p.m.

Lee

xShonuffx said on February 8, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Remember that the votes are compiled by the small number of players on Eventhubs via comments; its not even official so everyone stop getting butthurt over a minority of players out of all 30,000 votes that happen to be Karin fans. For all you know Dan could be number 1 officially. Relax and wait for the official results.

ElHiznahn said on February 8, 2013 at 12:16 p.m.

@45 That is stupid and unrealistic (even for Capcom). You're part of the reason why in terms of character selection, Street Fighter has gotten super stale.

SF5 should actually take place after SF3, have a large number of SF3 characters (two-armed Oro as a secret boss, Tom, matured Sean, etc.), some totally revamped Alpha/2 characters (like adult Sakura), very few SF2 characters, and a bunch of new characters.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

@52 It's not unrealistic if other games are doing it. (Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Somewhat soul calibur, somewhat KOF).

Why not have ALL characters ever made in SF + 10 new characters? That's not unreasonable.

SgtKonus said on February 8, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

@52 You are mistaking personal opinion with fact.

SF should go the way of KOF in my opinion, keep the same characters the same age but have a good story. People will beg and beg for an all new cast but then they probably will not play the game when it comes out.

When done horribly,(Street Fighter 3 until 3S, Soul Calibur 5) a timeskip plus new characters does nothing but piss people off. However, when done well (Tekken 3), the story flows better and the old characters are maintained while some new characters are introduced. I cannot understand why people want realistic aging in a fictional universe? If you want that so badly, simply live life XD.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

@54 There's nothing wrong with realistic aging, but you don't have to take out characters.

Also with realistic aging, people don't drastically age in a year, though major events can occur in a year.

Maryokutai said on February 8, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

Oh God, I sure hope Karin isn’t on first place in the official poll as well. Never understood what makes her so special, she’s just another random school girl in a fighting game. Good to see Q on the second spot though.

GokaiGreen said on February 8, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.

Gameplan said on February 8, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.

People who voted for Chun and Ryu wasted their vote. Those 2 characters have appeared in EVERY SINGLE SF game since SF2 (*edit* not counting SF3:NG and 2I) and every VS game. They aren't going anywhere.

mundaney said on February 8, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.

What's the big deal with Karin? Everyone's always freaking out about her. Clearly not as cool as Urien or Dudley ;P

Alesund said on February 8, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

Elena
Poison
Karin
R. Mika
Maki

ElHiznahn said on February 8, 2013 at 12:54 p.m.

@53 Having (almost) all characters in a fighting game only makes sense in non-canon entries (Tekken Tag, KOF 98/02, etc.). You can't have every existing character have a reason to be in every canonical entry; that's why Leon isn't in DOA anymore. It should be like friendship: they come and go.

Yeah Capcom doesn't know anything about the concept of storytelling and facts (yes Poison was originally a woman and should be woman, blame Capcom USA for the censorship/confusion), but here they have a real chance of making SF5 a more satisfying game in all aspects, not just follow the legacy path of throwing their hands up and saying "duh, We did it before so it's okay".

Truly successful game franchises continue to innovate while keeping the original spirit. SF4 series banked on the nostalgia of SF2 and arcade culture, and it worked, but now it's running on fumes.

And if that's not possible (which it is), Capcom should at least update the characters' looks and moves; this means changing their costumes, new moves, etc. And why the hell does SF4 Sakura still look and act like she did in Alpha? Makes no sense.

felixthecat said on February 8, 2013 at 12:56 p.m.

Heck yeah for Q. I really want him to show up in something modern.

Crazcar said on February 8, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.

Even if it's something separate, it's nice seeing Q make 2nd place, with as weird and booty he was in 3S. And good on Capcom for announcing that they are going to reveal the results instead of keeping it to themselves. *Roots for his top 5 and more*

shadowhumane said on February 8, 2013 at 1:01 p.m.

well capcom you know what to do put Karin back in sf v or alpha 4
my top list
1 Cammy
2 Karin
3 makoto
4 Alex
5 rmika
6 posion

zelgadiszero said on February 8, 2013 at 1:01 p.m.

Karin
R.Mika
Alex
Cammy
Juri

wolfindarkness said on February 8, 2013 at 1:04 p.m.

Oh I believe I voted Hakan, Abel, Elena, Alex and Cammy

Jaxon76 said on February 8, 2013 at 1:17 p.m.

Q placing in second is pretty awesome, I think. I hope he placed really high in the official poll, because he is legitimately a cool character.

Compare Q's design to something hideous like C.Viper, Rufus, or that Clown character that Seth told everyone about. Capcom's really suffering in the design department these days, so hopefully this survey turns out well and they draw from the characters from the PAST that were created when they had a talented character design team. Certainly not the case anymore.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 1:19 p.m.

@61 You're looking at it too deep.

Every character in every game has a reason to be in the game so quit talking out of you *** dude seriously.

The reason they don't put characters in games is a very stupid reason.

hazelnut1112 said on February 8, 2013 at 1:19 p.m.

Cody, Alex and Dudley are pretty high up and I am so fine with that. Poor Hakan.

ElHiznahn said on February 8, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

@68 An '09er telling me I don't know what I'm talking about? lol

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.

I dind't say you didn't know what you were talking about, I said you're talking out of your *** there's a difference.

And how you know I'm an 09'er Mr. Knowitall? You probably just heard that from someone else thought it be cool to call someone else that as an insult.

Have a nice day.

ZrogiX said on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 p.m.

ElHiznahn said on February 8, 2013 at 1:59 p.m.

@71 Now you're arguing pointless semantics, steering away from the actual argument, which is Capcom shouldn't screw up SF5 and try to step it up with the characters.

And you didn't deny you're an '09er so you're an '09er.

You lost, I won. Deal with it bro.

jme said on February 8, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

That's nice.

wonzan said on February 8, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

27 people literally voted for ryu. Wow......what an absolute waste of a vote.

KaboomKid said on February 8, 2013 at 2:13 p.m.

Wow, no love for Necro??? That guy's a million times cooler than bums like Seth and Poison (I've never been a Mika fan either). Plus it'd be great to see Necro back, if for any other reason, just to see Effie again.

And c'mon, let's not hate on Karin. She's not my favorite either, but she does have a pretty cool fighting style. I'd much rather see more girl characters like Karin in SF, that look like they can fight, over silly characters such as Ingrid.

Hm, now I remember that Maokoto was the only girl character in my top 10. I must not care for SF girls as much as I used to.

ScrubStep said on February 8, 2013 at 2:13 p.m.

As if they're wern't enough children in my fighting game already.

Burnt said on February 8, 2013 at 2:24 p.m.

I wish they would develop Q for the next game. He could be a badass Rog type with his current moveset if they gave him a chain or two into a (faster!)head punch, instead of just that med. kick..

chipndip said on February 8, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

I voted for Ryu because, in the end, you never know. They MAY just not put him in a SF game, just to please their fans if too few people even voted "yes, keep Ryu". Don't get too comfortable. If there's a character you like above all others, even if it's a seemingly main-stay like Ryu, Ken, and Chun, don't feel like "eh, they're good". Look what happened to almost everyone besides them in Third Strike...they could be next, and what's the point of the title "Street Fighter" if the original wandering warrior isn't even there? >_>

I actually like the idea of expanding the universe in shorter time jumps, not big jumps in time that make already established characters old and grey. The next SF game shouldn't happen after Third Strike (not just yet anyway). With that, we can a couple of dudes we know and love, keep guys like Hakan and Juri, revitalize Q and make him not suck (or copy all of Balrog's moves), and have some new challengers appear, too. Like giving M. Bison some new henchmen. Seriously, all his hot ones are MIA or un-brain washed, and his two brodies bicker so much that Sagat thought it'd be better to spend his time getting a second chest scar from Ryu...

yaboiman said on February 8, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

sakura and karin pls! ingrid too!!

adstarko said on February 8, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

I wonder if Urien made it into the game, how would he play out...Maybe two bars per Aegis?

AYOoOoOB12 said on February 8, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

Sadly , we dont see any of EX characters there was a lot of awesome characters

Sladezero said on February 8, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

I know this is to coincide with the 25th anniversary of street fighter and all, but I can't be the only one wondering this, speaking of 25th anniversaries where's my mega man skin. Damn Capcom why you hating on my boy blue.

JustEddie said on February 8, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.

FK YA KARIN!

JoelMaster64 said on February 8, 2013 at 3:59 p.m.

I wanted Gouken to be higher up! :(

SkllXMnky said on February 8, 2013 at 4 p.m.

Oh Boy, MORE overrated Street Fighter Character costumes running around in Monster Hunter.

kaka said on February 8, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.

i voted for guy and alex twice on different computers lol

Supasnupakoopa said on February 8, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

People wonder what is the hype with Karin but they never played her, which I think is funny. lets look pass the obvious thing like her character art design (schoolgirl) and instead look at her character build. She was a very good mix up heavy character with both solid hit confirms, a GDLK poke, and a good pressure pressure game with tons of options. Outside of the V-ism command throw glitch (which actually broke her as a character) she was a solid character to play with. Of course if your mental game is weak, then she is not going to be a character that stands out to you

DevilMaySpy said on February 8, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

Vote for Charlie guys.

Lemres said on February 8, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

lol at the people wondering why all they hype for Karin. The amount of times I've heard people say that we only like Karin because she's a schoolgirl and we're weeaboos. You do realize that some people play as her because she's actually a good character, right? And not just for her appearance? If you've ever played her or A3 in general, you would know that she happens to be one of the best characters gameplay-wise. #88 sums it all up real well. If you want to play that game, then why all the hype for Q? We know absolutely nothing about him. He's just a damn robot in a suit who can't talk. Very boring character in terms of looks and gameplay. Stop being ignorant...

BlazinKoolBreez said on February 8, 2013 at 5:38 p.m.

They really shouldve included King Cobra, they already hav his character design n make him shoot a basketball if Sean doesnt make it(n even if Sean makes it)...n Geki we need more Geki votes too

Burnt said on February 8, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

I voted for Charlie. Id be cool with Guile sitting this next one out if it meant Charlie was going to be included

Darc_Requiem said on February 8, 2013 at 6 p.m.

In no particular order. Alex, Gouken, Elena, Sean, and Cammy.

Blitz36 said on February 8, 2013 at 6:22 p.m.

I voted for: Ryu, Akuma, Guy, Geki, Vega(because of his theme)
If I could vote over 5:
Karin
Charlie
Cody
Guile
Balrog
Ken
Sean
Cammy
Evil Ryu

Kenshiro said on February 8, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

@76 Why is Necro any cooler than the babe Poison? Because you say so.

@88 I don't know why you're bringing up gameplay since most of the characters brought in never play exactly the same way they did in their 2D debut.

@90 Q having people request him actually makes sense from a variety standpoint. Karin is fan wank you're being ignorant.

vvill_ said on February 8, 2013 at 10:29 p.m.

Cody made top 5! ^_^

47drift said on February 8, 2013 at 11:10 p.m.

Ohohohooo boy, I reeeaally hope this could mean Karin's return.

colossus said on February 9, 2013 at 12:08 a.m.

Top 5 on this poll so far is a joke. Chars that no one used back then. Why vote for them now... I really hope that Ono will not listen to this nonsense and put in more unique and interesting chars like Oro, Hugo etc. Even f*cking R.Mika was more interesting to play than those lame shotos.

AoiHana said on February 9, 2013 at 2:07 a.m.

I like to see more alpha and sf3 characters comeback to the newer installments,the cast from thoses games had a more interesting design,and wasnt so uberly goofy. And the love alex is getting kinda gives me hope,shame guy couldnt be higher (no maki tho?)
*snickers at people having character wars* cant satisfy everyone.

Lemres said on February 9, 2013 at 6:47 a.m.

@95: But Karin will still have the same moveset, so she has the capability of having those attributes again... Gonna ignore your other statement because it's complete stupidity.

roknin said on February 9, 2013 at 10:44 a.m.

Lemres - exactly, well put.

Kenshiro - Have you.... never played Karin? Her character archetype may be a common anime trope, but her actual playstyle is very unique. In the time that A3 was made there wasn't an SF character that had a similar style (rekkas with branching paths, plus counters). And even with a somewhat cliche persoailty type, she was unique in the SF universe. The only thing she even shared in common with another character was being a schoolgirl.

I'm not a huge fan of Q but I'm not going to sit here and ---- on the people that like him.

Load more comments