'Now a taste of things to come' - Character preview for the EventHubs Fight Tracker

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 7, 2013 at 1:15 p.m. PST
If you've been keeping a close eye on the website, you may have noticed we mentioned expanding the EventHubs Fight Tracker to include characters. In the near future, you'll be able to display whichever characters you play in your favorite fighters, simply by dragging and dropping them in via our handy new profile edit pages. This will come with the ability to search for other users by the characters they play, via the Fight Tracker.

The idea is that if you're looking for a Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 player who's rates themselves a 7 or higher, plays Gen and lives in a 100 mile square radius, you'll easily be able to locate them. This is especially handy when you want to work on matches that you're not familiar with, in preparation for a tournament, or simply to improve.

The shots below show the new add characters screen (left), someone in the process of dragging and dropping the character portraits (middle) and what the interface looks like for team games, like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (right).

Hit the jump for more details.

The next set of shots below shows what your new profile page will look like, once you've added in some characters (left image). Also, you may be wondering how we go about displaying team games that require multiple characters per squad, like UMvC3, and you can see (right image) that mousing over a stacked set of portraits will expand them and also show you the character's names.

Click images for larger versions

Keep in mind, this is only a preview and the functionality isn't available yet, but we will be making a front page post when these new features are ready. Also, there will probably be some minor tweaks to the look of things, as the project is still in development.

In related news, our stats page is a bit sparse at the moment, and it too will be expanded to show who the most popular characters are in all of the major tournament games. So, if you want to see who the most common characters are in SSF4 AE v2012, UMvC3, SFxT, TTT2 or any other game regularly played at tournaments, you'll have this information with a couple clicks of a mouse button.

This is just a taste of the many things we'll be bringing to EventHubs in the future. Stay tuned.

Comments

DunnDeal said on February 7, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

Nice! Wonder how many Ryu mains there are. Kappa

MajorPug said on February 7, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

I'm expecting to one day be able to narrow it down to our gender, weight, hair and eye colour, and also blood type.

I NEED TO PLAY THOSE WITH O TYPE BLOOD, DAMMIT!

tktktk43 said on February 7, 2013 at 11:50 a.m.

I think sent in this request a few months back. I'm sure I'm not the only one but yah! Keep it up EHubs.

MKKhanzo said on February 7, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.

Awesome! Cant wait!

gtfopanda said on February 7, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

We love you EH. <3

Now please gives us a proper reply system, we desperately need that!

Firebrand said on February 7, 2013 at noon

(A chicken in every pot, and a Vergil in every anchor slot.)

Duggs26 said on February 7, 2013 at noon

Cool, I absolutely love this idea! But it's a bit hard to see the secondary for TTT2.

Duggs26 said on February 7, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

By that I mean, well for example it's slightly hard to see Nina behind Kazuya and Jin behind Alex.

dah_real_magnus said on February 7, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.

this is definitely a good addition to the fight tracker. can't wait for the finished product!

dro2191 said on February 7, 2013 at 12:04 p.m.

fu*king awesome just fu*king awesome i cant wait really keep up the good work

MKKhanzo said on February 7, 2013 at 12:06 p.m.

Sorry double post.

#1: Hey that way EH can have a character usage chart too!

YoYoCheese said on February 7, 2013 at 12:06 p.m.

Awesome! I've been waiting for something like this.

Crazcar said on February 7, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Thought it would be a simple list, but the portraits are definitely more appealing. Great idea on having stacked portraits from team games open up too, instead of using more space on having them side by side. Love the idea of a character stats page as well. And could "Third" be "Tertiary", for consistency's sake? lol

banananap said on February 7, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

EMPJared

edrigo said on February 7, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

Yet another reason why i'm on this site all the time. Good stuff guys

Catalyst said on February 7, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

@Duggs26

If you check the 5th screen shot, you'll see hovering over a stacked set of images will expand them and show you everything.

Duggs26 said on February 7, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

#16 I didn't see that, cheers! :) In that case, it's pretty much flawless! Thanks guys!

flippertron5k said on February 7, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Holy jeebus this is dope!

Oroku_Saki said on February 7, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

EventHubs please let there be a selection for Random Select. The reason being, that Random Select really is my main for a majority of fighters.

Jocelotknee said on February 7, 2013 at 12:31 p.m.

That is super cool!

Catalyst said on February 7, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.

@Oroku_Saki

You can leave your character options blank and a "random selectish" icon(s) will appear there instead. Not shown in the shots above, but it'll be in there at launch.

Just to be clear, it's just a blank character portrait with a question mark.

SnakeX said on February 7, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

Keep up the great work, you guys rock!

RisingSun777 said on February 7, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.

Not bad, this should be interesting

Freeyu said on February 7, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.

Ryu is my main my back up and my counter pick character.

kara said on February 7, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

Gameplan said on February 7, 2013 at 12:50 p.m.

Awesome! Great work EH. Just 2 things: Will be possible to have more than one character/team selected as main or it'll be just one character/team for main, one for secondary, etc.? Please don't use those fugly Udon portraits for HD Remix, use the original ones, they're classic and look 10x better.

xShonuffx said on February 7, 2013 at 1:04 p.m.

Dis...is why I luv Eventhubs. Very creative and fun site. I don't care what anyone says.

BlackMasamune said on February 7, 2013 at 1:06 p.m.

Cool, this should be up real soon since it only has to include Capcom characters.

Agentcombo said on February 7, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.

Awesome i like this

Cinderkin said on February 7, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.

Now all we need is for those to actually use the tracker and not ignore those in the scene trying to either play or get better.

We have a small group in Vegas and we play every Tuesday night and we stream. Looking for more local talent to come out and play.

I am like a 4-5 in AE 2012, but it's my favorite game and would love for more people in my area that want to not only play, but help others in our scene level up.

xShonuffx said on February 7, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

@28 See #18 and #21

EDIT: Oh yeah it is kind of hard to see the characters in the back but the mouse over should help.

mp91 said on February 7, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

nice

Links said on February 7, 2013 at 1:42 p.m.

Awesome! Can't wait to see this implemented. I'll probably just use it out of curiosity, but it would be nice to be able to find particular matchups.

shades_of_grey said on February 7, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

Excellent. I absolutely love statistics relevant to my interests. Can't wait. This site will continue to be my go-to for fighting game related content.

Dedemaru said on February 7, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

Definitely pumped for this. Moving up in the ranks, Eventhubs! Show Shoryuken how shiff is done!

Oroku_Saki said on February 7, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

@Catalyst:

Okay, I'll do that, when the time approaches.

Snipeclips said on February 7, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

Whoa. Never expected to be that good. Sweet :D.

ChipsLight said on February 7, 2013 at 3:03 p.m.

Looks f*cking awesome

thegoldencat said on February 7, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

Neat.

TODAKAI507 said on February 7, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

guess 99% of the people will be ryu players

Gohikari said on February 7, 2013 at 3:46 p.m.

That's nice, keep the good work !

lvk96 said on February 7, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

Looks like a sweet feature

Burnt said on February 7, 2013 at 4:20 p.m.

Very nice...there should also be an empty box to fill in personal info or comments like every other profile page out there..

DJScrubble said on February 7, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

Will MK get two types of portraits? One for 1v1 and another slot for tag? Like I have 1v1 Main and secondary but I have three tag teams in MK.

LeonHartEX said on February 7, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

Haha, this is awesome. I look forward to this, keep staying Godlike guys.

Pink said on February 7, 2013 at 4:35 p.m.

This is grand Eventhubs, loving all these improvements. Thank you!

mariarose493 said on February 7, 2013 at 7:42 p.m.

richardthescrub said on February 7, 2013 at 8:12 p.m.

Thanks Eventhubs...thats why i come here rather than shoryuken.com =D

Catalyst said on February 7, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.

@DJScrubble

MK9's tag mode isn't a standard at tournaments (at least the majors I've seen) so we're only going to do single characters. Things get... convoluted if you start to try and account for every single option and setup, so we try and just satisfy the majority with our features, without making things too complex, if that makes sense.

DJScrubble said on February 7, 2013 at 8:48 p.m.

Total sense. Completely agree with that decision.

dubgrass22 said on February 7, 2013 at 10:48 p.m.

neat ,this is a prettry cool idea!

roknin said on February 8, 2013 at 1:26 a.m.

looking forward to this!

MightyAfro said on February 8, 2013 at 4:08 a.m.

very cool ^^

now if only I didn't suck at fighting games.....

Chameleonice said on February 8, 2013 at 6:15 a.m.

I think this looks great :) I was a bit hesitant to 'rank' my fighting games, as people really get weird about "Oh, are you REALLY that good at that game?" but I love characters and showing which characters I enjoy working with. I can hardly wait for this feature to be ready!

Sunforged_One said on February 8, 2013 at 9:16 a.m.

That's a really good add.
I play so many characters as thirds... could be difficult to set priorities xD

RebelzPlague said on February 9, 2013 at 7:09 p.m.

Man, I see people with 9/10 in UMvC3, and I don't get it.

But all and all, this system is gonna rock.

Auron said on February 9, 2013 at 9:59 p.m.

what about only ps3 characters ( like kratos in mk & cole in sfxt )

will they be in their game rosters ??

LightningBS said on February 10, 2013 at 9:33 a.m.

Looking forward to it